Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

SaNChEzZ posted:

I took all of it's accessories out of storage, guy's driving 4 hours on Saturday with a wad of cash for meeeeee!

You should repost the story about bringing your very first bike home. When the book of CA lore is published, that's going in Chapter 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

I sold the Aprilia for a $500 profit. Schwing. Time to bike shop.

See, as soon as I get rid of my Aprilia everyone else has to do the same.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

See, as soon as I get rid of my Aprilia everyone else has to do the same.

Coincironically, I've been eyeballing a local Falco listing for a couple weeks, hoping the dwindling season and people generally overlooking Aprilia results in another price cut. If it were silver, I'd own it already.

Curious to know what you think of these, as you seem to be the CA staff test rider.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Took off the horrid aftermarket indicators, removed most of the PO's retarded wiring, took off the gear lever and exhaust in preparation for benching the engine tomorrow.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

Coincironically, I've been eyeballing a local Falco listing for a couple weeks, hoping the dwindling season and people generally overlooking Aprilia results in another price cut. If it were silver, I'd own it already.

Curious to know what you think of these, as you seem to be the CA staff test rider.

Not actually rode the Falco (but I know someone here actually owns one) but I've rode the Mille R and V2 Tuono which share an engine with it. Fantastic engine with no real vices other than batteries becoming wear items. The only real problem is the perennial one of parts availability, which are magnified by the fact that Falcos are rare even by Aprilia standards (and that it's not as pretty as either the Tuono or the Futura).

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I had a G1 Tuono and once you mucked around with the electrics it was well sorted enough. It needed a lot of juice to crank. As big a batt that fit under the seat, solder some of the prone-to-fail wire connectors, beefier starter solenoid, and then lower the draw on the battery. I put in LED tail bulbs and gained over 1 volt measured at the gauges (the voltage drop with standard bulbs when you triggered the brake light was hilarious), battery was always strong after that and no reliability issues.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The Falco is quite a nice bike, just has the usual rotaxv2 aprilia issues, mainly the electricals mentioned.

Suspension isn't great, but it's a lot of bike for the money, as they're not as tour-y as the futura, not as streetfighter as the tuono, and not as sporty as the RSV, leading them to be not very desireable. They share many parts with the other platforms, though.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
The falco has an oddball speedo sensor/wheel bearing combo that cant be bought anymore doesn't it?
I seem to remember someone in CA posting about it before

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Got the Corsas put on... then it promptly rained all day.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh I musta missed when you traded in your bikes for a Harley

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

bro I JUST washed these things.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah I know, just washed em yesterday. And the day before. And the day before. And the

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

echomadman posted:

The falco has an oddball speedo sensor/wheel bearing combo that cant be bought anymore doesn't it?
I seem to remember someone in CA posting about it before

I thought it was the Futura that was having issues with that thanks to its sexy as gently caress (and not at all stolen from the VFR) single-sided swingarm?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

The Falco is quite a nice bike, just has the usual rotaxv2 aprilia issues, mainly the electricals mentioned.

Suspension isn't great, but it's a lot of bike for the money, as they're not as tour-y as the futura, not as streetfighter as the tuono, and not as sporty as the RSV, leading them to be not very desireable. They share many parts with the other platforms, though.

The falco is like a vtr1000 firestorm but not lame.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought it was the Futura that was having issues with that thanks to its sexy as gently caress (and not at all stolen from the VFR) single-sided swingarm?

That was definitely the futura.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I put side cases on The Nerd Machine:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Changed the oil on the Duke. Made a huge mess all over the catalytic converter, but taking that off would also involve taking off the side stand, so I just cleaned it best I could. Did ruin an exhaust clamp bolt in the process, shop manual says 25nm while it should be 10nm, which the normal user manual correctly states. Thankfully it's just a bolt, older Buell shop manuals stated the wrong torque for the oil drain plug, which had people ruin the swing arm threads.

690 oil change is pretty involved, with two filters to swap and two screens to clean.

I also fit knockoff brake/clutch levers, orange of course, 25 bucks shipped from ebay and they look great, and fit correctly. Unfortunately they don't fix my issue of the clutch grab point being too far from the bars, as at the closest setting they match the original lever.

Finally I fit a cover over the battery's positive terminal, which was missing. I think the dealer had been too lazy to install it, cables were connected to the top of the terminal and had to be moved to the front hole for the cover to fit, they probably didn't bother.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Made a huge mess all over the catalytic converter, but taking that off would also involve taking off the side stand, so I just cleaned it best I could.

Is it possible to cover stuff with aluminum foil or whatever? I wrap my pipe with it and make a little funnel to drip into the pan when I change the Uly's oil filter.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Is it possible to cover stuff with aluminum foil or whatever? I wrap my pipe with it and make a little funnel to drip into the pan when I change the Uly's oil filter.

Yeah I should have tried making a funnel with it, good idea. I did put some on top of the cat but it's actually slightly concave up top, so any oil that got in there would stay there, and the drain plug drains right on top of it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I bid thee farewell.

The parking spot was still warm when I brought this home.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

SaNChEzZ posted:

I bid thee farewell.

Sweet car there, bro.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaNChEzZ posted:

I bid thee farewell.

That pickup truck bed is loving huge / tall. Good god. Congratulations on the WRX :)

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

SaNChEzZ posted:

That doesn't look like a superduke to me. :colbert:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Downgrade

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kitchen bench is carb bench. Everything looks pretty kosher, someone drained the carb before storage so there's just a bunch of mud at the bottom of the bowl and on the idle mixture screw. New o-rings are only $5 less than an entire new carb so I'll just get a new carb and either use that or just swap over the o-rings depending on what level of chinesium it's made of and the jets it has etc.

For some reason I also have a kitchen bench in the garage next to the washing machine, and for some even more obscure reason my missus covered it in paper towels so I don't get the 20 years' layer of dirt dirty. I think I'm going to end up having to get an oversize piston and honing the jug because some of the wear marks in the bore are a little bit alarming, and the piston has a bunch of tiny gouges where someone with no sense at all tried to remove/install the gudgeon pin circlip.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Put my rim tape on:

Was just about to start putting on the tail tidy and it started raining, so another week of my bike looking like dinochicken:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Broke off the barkbusters. :sigh:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SaNChEzZ posted:

I bid thee farewell.

FTFY

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Goons asked and I obliged.

Seat cowl, tank pad, oxford heated grips (loving awesome, why doesn't every bike come with that poo poo), fender eliminator. Only thing I'll probably change in the future is the exhaust, but I'll probably wait until the Akropovic are out.

Also, comedy relief for those that look at my license plate. I had a giggle when the dealership pulled that out.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
As a time thumper owner I made sure to give my newly bought DR350 a complete service following the service manual. Tightening, or rather checking the tightness of the cylinder bolts was a lot of work just to get to the two bolts under the valve cover (they were in spec). In the meantime I got to check the valve train for wear and put new sealant on the cover. Bike still runs fine, but a little lean. I should be getting the stock exhaust soon and hopefully it will richen it a bit and quiet it down a bit.

Need to check the front brake also, it squeals like crazy and the front pads look a bit worn.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Barnsy posted:

oxford heated grips (loving awesome, why doesn't every bike come with that poo poo)

I plan to ride through the winter this year, and last time I did this I was very cold, both with numb hands and an ice cold core, despite winter gear. Is it cold enough for you to know the difference those make? they are expensive, but worth it if they help out more than the cheap 15 dollar conversions. I've heard that good heated grips do a good job keeping the circulating blood warm enough to not need heated gear. If so, I'd happily splash out for a pair of these.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
My 2c - buy a heated vest instead. Warm core means more warmth to your extremities. Combined with wind blocking handguards or heated grips if you ride close to freezing, you should be golden.

I'm using the oem KTM heated grips, and they're insulated to stop the bar from stealing the heat, not sure if the Oxford ones have the same feature.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I plan to ride through the winter this year, and last time I did this I was very cold, both with numb hands and an ice cold core, despite winter gear. Is it cold enough for you to know the difference those make? they are expensive, but worth it if they help out more than the cheap 15 dollar conversions. I've heard that good heated grips do a good job keeping the circulating blood warm enough to not need heated gear. If so, I'd happily splash out for a pair of these.

Last winter I had a bike with heated grips. This winter I don't. The difference is tangible and painful.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

tangible and painful

... is how I would describe riding with the grip heaters on. The 2 settings are lava-hot and sun-hot.

My own custom setting is "sometimes off".

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I have the circulation of a corpse, I pretty much needed my heated gloves for sustained riding under 40F. Heated grips would give me warm palms and ice cold fingers/thumbs, and lead to death-gripping the bars to extract more heat from them. This is with a heated vest too, without that forget it (but vest and no gloves won't work for me either, hands would probably just ice up and break off T1000-style).

Also drat a tshirt-thin heated vest w/arms would be amazing, and heated moto gear in general is pretty clunky especially when you have to ghetto wire older bikes w/ a relay system and connectors and stuff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can get heated glove liners and they work pretty well (with much less current draw) than heated grips.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Coydog posted:

Makes a huge difference. These oxford heated grips have 5 settings, and the 100% setting will literally burn your hands. Makes riding when it's cooler (granted I'm only talking ~5C) a hell of a lot more comfortable. Haven't gotten off the bike with cold/numb hands since. Bonus, the grips have an automatic off switch so you don't drain your battery if you forget to turn them off. Only downside (as some have mentioned) is that they aren't insulated from the handlebars, so it takes a few minutes for them to heat up properly. I can see cold fingers being a problem, but it is definitely a massive improvement over NO heated grips.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I AM AWAITED

Recently purchased ZRX1100 has had seemingly nothing done to it...

Done: Oil, filter, coolant flush, brake pads, brake bleed last weekend.

Working: Removed carbs, researching pod filters and carb breakdown (*first carbed bike...holy moley)

Arrived today: Front tire, fuel line, breather line

To get: Carb soak (where do I get this?) jets and pods.

To research: Jetting, pods, exhaust, replacement seat.

SO MUCH FUN.

PS: http://japan.webike.net/ is going to take all my money.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pods are almost always counter-productive, if you want actual measurable gains in power you should look into advancing the ignition timing with a different chopper wheel (very straightforward on the zrex because it doesn't use a flywheel pickup, it has a separate little wheel) or ZZR cams then just jet accordingly.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Tried to mount pods to my FZR and spent so many loving hours trying to get it to run well. I re visited my mounting issue with the airbox, reset the jetting and was way loving happier in the end. Hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Tried to mount pods to my FZR and spent so many loving hours trying to get it to run well. I re visited my mounting issue with the airbox, reset the jetting and was way loving happier in the end. Hth

Sorta the same for my fzr hybrid. Spent 2 ish years dicking with the jetting on the pods. I finally got it right and sold the motherfucker.

Sold the klr last night. Goodbye you fucker, now I have a little more shop space for my next victim.