Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reynauld is a lucky fucker, but his grammar needs a little work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
All his friends just died, cut him some slack.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wow, the Fulminating Prophet just melts with a four crusader group (make sure they all have Holy Lance of course). My Ninja Turtles team was down a Leonardo, so I swapped in Reynauld, and the fight was over in something like 5 rounds. Reynauld was level 4 and everyone else was Level 3. Holy Lance does bonus Unholy damage, and on top of that almost all of them had quirks that gave additional bonus damage and crit chance to Unholy, he was finished off by a massive 40 crit from Reynauld. Plus, the fight worked out so that every single attack I was able to Holy Lance him, my plan otherwise was to Inspiring Cry or do the Prot buff with anyone stuck in the front.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I can't believe it took me this long to think of this, but going by the number of complaints about the bleed on the Occultist's heal I guess I'm not the only one. Give the dude a Cleansing Crystal, it lowers the chance of bleed effects on his skills, and seems to work on his heal. I just did a long run with an Occultist as my sole healer and the bleed didn't proc once. It does also have the side effect of lowering the chance of his debuffs sticking though, so if you're bringing him along more for those than for healing it might not be worth it. That said, I had him marking for a Bounty Hunter when he had time and I didn't notice the dodge debuff missing a whole lot.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 3, 2015

Cometchaser
Oct 20, 2008

Being dead's not so bad

Wafflecopper posted:

I can't believe it took me this long to think of this, but going by the number of complaints about the bleed on the Occultist's heal I guess I'm not the only one. Give the dude a Cleansing Crystal, it lowers the chance of bleed effects on his skills, and seems to work on his heal. I just did a long run with an Occultist as my sole healer and the bleed didn't proc once. It does also have the side effect of lowering the chance of his debuffs sticking though, so if you're bringing him along more for those than for healing it might not be worth it. That said, I had him marking for a Bounty Hunter when he had time and I didn't notice the dodge debuff missing a whole lot.

Yeah, cleansing crystal on the occultist helps a lot if he's your primary healer. Also has the nice side effect of making him nearly immune to bleed/blight/debuffs.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
My main issue with the Occultist heal, at least during my most recent save, is that it seems to have an ~80% chance to heal 0-1 and a 20% chance to heal the max or crit heal, making it EXTREMELY unreliable, even more so than the 0-11 would show. Getting hit for 3 bleed damage isn't too big of a deal, but I assume it goes up in later ranks, which may make it actually less useful if you don't mitigate it through the Crystal, yeah.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Locke Dunnegan posted:

My main issue with the Occultist heal, at least during my most recent save, is that it seems to have an ~80% chance to heal 0-1 and a 20% chance to heal the max or crit heal, making it EXTREMELY unreliable, even more so than the 0-11 would show. Getting hit for 3 bleed damage isn't too big of a deal, but I assume it goes up in later ranks, which may make it actually less useful if you don't mitigate it through the Crystal, yeah.

That's just confirmation bias. I run occultists as my primary healers, I have four in my roster right now, two in my top five or six adventurers. It seems to hit the numbers fairly evenly although obviously getting a zero or one hurts. I tend not to heal at all until I'm down to two enemies or the field is disabled with stuns and debuffs.

I like to build them with lots of +crit. Multiple times I’ve healed people from deaths door to better than 70% health thanks to 24hp crit heals.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Bitch, you be trippin'. I regularly go on entire runs without seeing a less-than-2 heal. And if you're that upset about the bleed, buy some loving bandaids - it's not as though you can't use them for bonus on loot on like 25% of encounter objects..!

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Cirofren posted:

That's just confirmation bias. I run occultists as my primary healers, I have four in my roster right now, two in my top five or six adventurers. It seems to hit the numbers fairly evenly although obviously getting a zero or one hurts. I tend not to heal at all until I'm down to two enemies or the field is disabled with stuns and debuffs.

I like to build them with lots of +crit. Multiple times I’ve healed people from deaths door to better than 70% health thanks to 24hp crit heals.

Believe me, I know what confirmation bias is. I mean I have used the two that I have just enough for them to each hit rank 3, and so far the handful of heals I have done have literally matched up to being majority <2 with a few max/crits, with NONE in between. I did word it wrong by saying "it has x% chance" instead of "my results are x" though so yeah that part does make me sound like a whiny baby, whoops.

Also the reason why I haven't used the heals much even with two rank 3 Occultists is because the debuff skill is so goddamn good now. It just sucks that it becomes really unreliable if you equip that Crystal because it lowers debuff skill chance too.

EDIT: Also because making tanky stun/debuff teams that can heal themselves tend to be the most reliable teams I've put together so far. I've barely done the midrange quests though because I had so much fun trying out different team comps this time around literally all 26 dudes in my (modified) roster are rank 3. Two of each class, bros :hellyeah:

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Cirofren posted:

Yeah +crit is where it's at for occultists. Just bandaid bad bleeds off.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Occultists start being a lot better after a few levels. His heal isn't reliable, which means you can't use it for clutch heals safely, but the average heal is pretty strong and he has a naturally high crit rate which is nice. So when you have some HP to work with you can take a turn to chuck out a heal at the end of a fight. Cleansing crystal is pretty great and with the corpse mechanic the rest of his skills are even more useful, so a worse debuff chance isn't terrible most of the time. Usually I'll skill him the heal, pull, and artillery, leaving a free slot for whatever. If you're playing him rank 3 the slice is pretty strong, if you're playing him rank 4 grab a debuff.

Also, I feel the debuff is only really worth it against bosses and certain large enemies. Almost any other time you're better off using pull to put a rank 3/4 guy in the front, or artillery to soften up their back for someone else on your lineup to kill. Your first couple rounds are almost always going to be those, then at the cleanup you throw down the heal. Moving a bone wizard or bandit gun-man to the front is worth more health/stress on average than any heals you have on anyone. Some enemies don't have attacks from rank 4 as well so some setups you can neutralize multiple enemies faster than killing them, and keep them there with the corpses.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

ZypherIM posted:

Some enemies don't have attacks from rank 4 as well so some setups you can neutralize multiple enemies faster than killing them, and keep them there with the corpses.
I thought one of the changes in the last big patch was that every monster has at least one attack they can use from each position. For most of the front line fighters it seems to be something that does low damage but moves them forward a space. I haven't tried shuffling every single kind of monster but the times I've tried it that's what seems to happen.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Is the occultist the only class that can Mark with an attack that actually does something? I've been using them with the Arbalest for this, it seems like a waste to use a move that only puts up Mark without having some other utility.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

may contain peanuts posted:

I thought one of the changes in the last big patch was that every monster has at least one attack they can use from each position. For most of the front line fighters it seems to be something that does low damage but moves them forward a space. I haven't tried shuffling every single kind of monster but the times I've tried it that's what seems to happen.

Hrmm, I'll have to go check, thought I've done it this patch but maybe not. The big ones I remember from before were the sword skeleton and the knife bandit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Nope, both of them have 4th row attacks now (but they're extremely likely to miss and do less damage on a hit, so shuffles are not entirely pointless.)

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Is the occultist the only class that can Mark with an attack that actually does something? I've been using them with the Arbalest for this, it seems like a waste to use a move that only puts up Mark without having some other utility.
Pretty sure that's correct, all marks other than the Occultist one are just "mark this guy" and they don't do anything else.

Reminds me, I've changed my Occultist + 3 Bounty Hunter team to Occultist / Arbalist / Bounty Hunter / Bounty Hunter, and it's working better. You get some AOE out of the Arbalist to make up for the lack of AOE on the Hunters, and she can even make use of marks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Marking is still worth it even without additional effects if the enemy is beefy enough that it would take several attacks to go down normally.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Does anyone particularly like the Houndmaster, as it is now? I feel like it's sort of gimmicky and doesn't really excel at anything. And I wanted to like it too, because I love the art, concept, and the sprites for it. Maybe I just don't know the secret way to use them effectively.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
He's got a decent suite of support skills, and his AOE bleed is a very spammable way to soften enemies up as long as you're not fighting in the Ruins (and the dog treat turns it into a nightmarishly powerful damage-dealer for one combat.) He's definitely one of the weakest classes but he's not so weak as to be unusable, as long as you have strong characters who can carry him to some extent.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

I feel like playing Houndmaster as a tank might secretly be really good. I ran that strategy against the Prophet and now I'm thinking it might work as a good strategy in general. +15 dodge is a lot of dodge, and it stacks, once you've done Guard Dog more than once the Houndmaster is basically not getting hit anymore.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

I feel like playing Houndmaster as a tank might secretly be really good. I ran that strategy against the Prophet and now I'm thinking it might work as a good strategy in general. +15 dodge is a lot of dodge, and it stacks, once you've done Guard Dog more than once the Houndmaster is basically not getting hit anymore.

That depends. Dodge trinkets and certain buffs/debuffs (Man-at-Arms dodge shout, Jester solo) make Guard Dog better. Lower light enemies are more accurate, so Scooby and Shaggy might not be able to guard well at all on a dark run.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Snow Job posted:

That depends. Dodge trinkets and certain buffs/debuffs (Man-at-Arms dodge shout, Jester solo) make Guard Dog better. Lower light enemies are more accurate, so Scooby and Shaggy might not be able to guard well at all on a dark run.

Houndmaster is, I feel, one of the strongest classes in the game for light runs, particularly in "clear 100% of room battles" missions. He has everything except damage.

He can Dodge-tank like a motherfucker. With a couple of Guard Dog plays, half of your party is basically impervious to damage. Especially if he's guarding a Crusader who can Mark himself at the start of combat to make himself the primary target, that's a lot of damage the rest of the party isn't taking, and anytime an attack slips through, the Houndmaster has the ability to heal himself about as well as any healing class might be able to.

Add that to his insane +Scouting camping skill and throw the Ancestor's Map onto someone and you basically will never be surprised and you'll always have the ideal path laid out for you through the dungeon. He isn't a combat class. He's tailor-built to prevent damage, and for that he's better than any healer.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crasical posted:

All his friends just died, cut him some slack.

he's just lucky he's not progressed to talking to empty suits of armor

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just picked this up and I'm having a lot of fun so far. The first few dungeon runs were pretty brutal and I'd come back with a party all maxed out on stress and I'd barely break even after supplies and stress relief, but now I'm managing to get through with minor damage -- the medium dungeons are almost better because I can make it almost all the way through, burn off all the stress at camp, then finish up and leave.

It seems like the best thing for me to do is slowly grind up a deep roster, upgrade the buildings, and get mostly everyone healthy and level 3 before going to the harder quests. Is that right, or is there some time mechanic that will bite me in the rear end down the line?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
You're doing it right. The only thing you need to do is make sure to knock out low level boss missions before your roster outlevels them, but that's pretty easy if you're spreading experience around.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
Is there a community that just loving hates this game? People are voting every single positive review on this game as unhelpful to push the negative ones up to the top. Granted, all of the reviews suck but most of them are people whining about some of their dudes getting killed in a game about your dudes being able to die at any time.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

A Spooky Skeleton posted:

Is there a community that just loving hates this game? People are voting every single positive review on this game as unhelpful to push the negative ones up to the top. Granted, all of the reviews suck but most of them are people whining about some of their dudes getting killed in a game about your dudes being able to die at any time.

If you ever find a game that doesn't, it's probably because the world has ended

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
People getting butthurt about a game that conceptually is about making the hard choices when poo poo actually just sucks. Even when it is out of control by design. And there is a disclaimer everytime you start it up.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I really want this to be full released just because I know it's gonna suck me in and I don't want to get burned out on it before it has, you know, an end.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

It doesn't seem like much news is coming out on this game. Has there been any talk about what's next?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Not sure if you just missed it, but the last big update with corpses and the Houndmaster was almost exactly a month ago. They're been pretty consistent with their communication, I think.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

you can literally just tweet them for news. I'll just tweet them a question and they've always tweeted back with an answer.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

odiv posted:

Not sure if you just missed it, but the last big update with corpses and the Houndmaster was almost exactly a month ago. They're been pretty consistent with their communication, I think.

Ya i've played that, but it didn't seem to add much as far as making this a complete game. I've been playing Ark lately, and they are doing weekly, and bi-weekly updates. Their team is much bigger though so maybe im expecting too much.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

Anyone have any advice for the cannon? One suggestion I got was to use AOE on it so that you can deal steady damage to the cannon while also keeping all the bandits in check. Was wondering what other strategies folks have used against it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

It doesn't seem like much news is coming out on this game. Has there been any talk about what's next?

The devs have been pretty quiet lately but there's supposed to be a medium-small patch next week and the next big content drop is the complete Cove dungeon in early September.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Ya i've played that, but it didn't seem to add much as far as making this a complete game. I've been playing Ark lately, and they are doing weekly, and bi-weekly updates. Their team is much bigger though so maybe im expecting too much.

Well that, and it's easier to fart out updates to Yet Another Stupid Sandbox zombie Dinosaur Survival Game.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Anyone have any advice for the cannon? One suggestion I got was to use AOE on it so that you can deal steady damage to the cannon while also keeping all the bandits in check. Was wondering what other strategies folks have used against it.

I happened to beat it last night on a low level run with Vestal/PD/Highwayman/Hellion.

The Hellion can hit anything from the front and at low level both her and the highwayman can smack down the fuse guy with one hit. Using the Highwayman's Leading Shot and his clean guns camp ability gave him a 90% chance to hit and nearly all of them were one-shots.

I just had the Vestal heal and stun, trying to use whatever free hits I had on the cannon. Plague Doctor was actually somewhat useful in that she could reliably lay down a blight that would finish off the fuse guy if the Hellion didn't. Although you might get more mileage with another character. I did find her battle heal useful since some of the bandits can bleed you.

You're going to be chipping away at the cannon no matter what since it has ridiculous protection. So focusing on being able to make sure the cannon never goes off and using your spare turns to attack it worked for me. I'm not going to pretend I'm super good at this game or anything though, but I beat it with that party and didn't feel like I was close to wiping at any point. In fact, the constant one-hits really lowered the Highwayman and Hellion's stress.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's super easy once you learn the key is to just go after the bandits and only hit the cannon if there are no bandits. It takes a long time but it ensures the cannon never fires. Sometimes it's ok to let a bandit or two live, just make sure to kill the guy who fires the cannon asap. You'll only be doing a few points of damage (if any) to the canon each round, but they'll be doing no damage to you, so you just wait it out.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Any news on this coming out on PS4? I know it's supposed to come out in "2015" but I'm hoping for something more specific :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kyrosiris posted:

Well that, and it's easier to fart out updates to Yet Another Stupid Sandbox zombie Dinosaur Survival Game.
Educate yourself, friend.