Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bitcoin is pretty loving stupid is what im reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

in a world where people are getting upset over words like "bitch" and "pussy" which are barely gendered as used colloquially I think fuckboy is deffo worse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

bitcoin is pretty loving stupid is what im reading

it has one use case for which it's so perfectly suited it performs beyond expectation: separating idiots from their money

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

when i want to insult someone i like to use a word that won't hurt anyone's feelings

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

infernal machines posted:

it has one use case for which it's so perfectly suited it performs beyond expectation: separating idiots from their money

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Friendly Tumour posted:

Bitcoin is anonymous as long as you do not directly turn any currency into bitcoins in any way that's traceable. I guess you could buy them with cash from a shady alley gentleman.

nope

if you use a Bitcoin wallet for ransom/extortion for a bomb threat, it doesn't even matter if you sell in cash. you would need to essentially hand over an external drive or cold storage to the buyer, who pays in cash, then never puts that drive or wallet back onto a network in any way to move those coins. as soon as a legitimate transaction hits the block chain, no matter how it is obfuscated, international law enforcement will absolutely 100% track down the buyer in that transaction to gather information about the seller. the block chain is not opaque enough to get away with terrorism in this manner because, even though attributions to wallet names are anonymous, the names themselves are not nor is the network traffic used to transfer butts out of these wallets.

this guy set up a ticking legal time bomb for himself and his only resolution is getting transferred bitcoins and never, ever, ever using them in any fashion whatsoever, not even if Bitcoins become the de facto currency for the entire world after the fall of fiat currencies. as soon as those coins transfer out to anywhere, it starts the breadcrumb trail for investigators to identify his rear end

that's a perfect best-case-scenario. anything less secure is gonna get him nailed even faster

bitcoins: Anonymous! as long as you take your coins out of the market and make them functionally useless

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
if I were the police I'd give the guy like 1 bitcoin

he'll spend it and then you've got him

! unless it's a prank, you could deffo mess a bitcoiner's life up

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i still don't know what a fuckboy is.it's probably me

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

As a Millennial I posted:

it's probably what you would be, in prison

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

let's see how the virtual bitcoiner is doing on the markov chain-based subreddit simulator subreddit

quote:

flawless

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

urban dictionary is ur friend

A Fuckboy is the type of guy who does poo poo that generally pisses the population of the earth off all the time. He will also lead girls on just for hookups, says hes really into you but doesn't want to deal with all the "relationship bullshit" just to gently caress you. He thinks about himself and only himself all the time but pretends to be really nice. He also does really hosed up poo poo and then complains about people who do the same old poo poo as him. once a fuckboy always a fuckboy, because gently caress boys ganna be fuckboys.

A poser who acts like he does drugs and says he gets "head" from bountiful bitches when in fact hes just a lame bitch rear end fool who trys to act all that
Ever heard of that nigga named rio? Hes a major fuckboy.

A person who is a weak rear end pussy
that ain't bout poo poo.
look at that weak rear end gently caress boy.

rear end in a top hat boy who is into strictly sexual relationships; he will lead a girl on and let her down, then apologize only to ask for "pics" once the girl has welcomed him back into her trust. Boys like this will pretend to genuinely care about the girl but always fail to prove the supposed affection. He almost never makes plans because he has to hangout on his terms which could be the most whimsical of times, and if the girl rejects those plans because she has a legitimate reason for not being able to hang out, he will get pissed. However, if plans are made he will bail on them without a second thought. If a girl tries to stand up to this rear end in a top hat he will most likely deny everything and turn it all around on the girl making it seem as though the conflict at stake is her fault and he has done nothing wrong and hates when girls bitch at him for "no reason." He will always come crawling back because he is a horny prick and can not withstand the dispossession of one of his baes, because he has more than one that's for sure. Texting such a boy will consist of the girl carrying the conversation and the guy responding with short answers 10 or more minutes after the girl's response, but when she asks why he takes so long to answer it will be because he is "busy" but he promises he likes her. Boys like this are egotistical assholes who can not be trusted and are hard to get rid of because they say all the right things to get the girl back.

Tiffany: "He found me on instagram and commented "hmu." He's hot, should I go for it?"
Stephanie: "No, he's such a fuckboy. Sleeps around and will screw you over."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if there was a way to make markov chains obey grammar rules it would be the end of internet discussion

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i prefer trashboy

loving is usually actually good, but trash is unequivocally bad

anyway

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
it's me, i'm the only italian satoshi in the world

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

im glad im a delta, as i don't have to work so hard, get to wear khakis.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Boxturret posted:

no fees, only corruption

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

use context clues you bitch beta mother fucker

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
i haven't read this thread in a few days and now there's like 30 pages

anything good happen

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Boxturret posted:

antifragillissimo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ayn rand hand job posted:

anything good happen

no.

a ginger elf appeared and tried to troll the thread. he got helldumped for harry potter fan fiction and being a pedophile

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
also we proved bitcoins didn't exist

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

harry potter fan fiction and being a pedophile

but you repeat yourself

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

also as long as you don't use it to purchase any goods or receive any services since those could also be tied back to you irl

yes. it's extermely useful and totally inconspicious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

anything good happen

oh also some nutbar is bombing supermarkets, demanding bitcoin ransom, evidently unaware of how quickly that's going to get him caught

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

death .cab for qt posted:

nope

if you use a Bitcoin wallet for ransom/extortion for a bomb threat, it doesn't even matter if you sell in cash. you would need to essentially hand over an external drive or cold storage to the buyer, who pays in cash, then never puts that drive or wallet back onto a network in any way to move those coins. as soon as a legitimate transaction hits the block chain, no matter how it is obfuscated, international law enforcement will absolutely 100% track down the buyer in that transaction to gather information about the seller. the block chain is not opaque enough to get away with terrorism in this manner because, even though attributions to wallet names are anonymous, the names themselves are not nor is the network traffic used to transfer butts out of these wallets.

this guy set up a ticking legal time bomb for himself and his only resolution is getting transferred bitcoins and never, ever, ever using them in any fashion whatsoever, not even if Bitcoins become the de facto currency for the entire world after the fall of fiat currencies. as soon as those coins transfer out to anywhere, it starts the breadcrumb trail for investigators to identify his rear end

that's a perfect best-case-scenario. anything less secure is gonna get him nailed even faster

bitcoins: Anonymous! as long as you take your coins out of the market and make them functionally useless

really? are those coin tumbler things totally ineffective? or what if you buy darknet poo poo with them, if law enforcement could track down those guys they'd be in jail already?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if law enforcement could track down those guys they'd be in jail already?

Unless they are law enforcement or being kept up by law enforcement to catch worse people.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
just to be clear i have 100% confidence that this bomber guy will do something stupid and be caught, but it seems like it could be done "safely" in principle or at least in a way that makes it very very hard to track without catching a lucky break

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

really? are those coin tumbler things totally ineffective? or what if you buy darknet poo poo with them, if law enforcement could track down those guys they'd be in jail already?

ross_ulbricht_bribed_carl_mark_force_iv.jpg

just to be clear i have 100% confidence that this bomber guy will do something stupid and be caught, but it seems like it could be done "safely" in principle or at least in a way that makes it very very hard to track without catching a lucky break

on the off chance that you're serious about it, tumblers don't meaningfully stop investigation because the 7 transaction/second bitcoin economy is too sparse to cover your tracks, like a cat trying to bury a turd on a marble floor

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

it's all trackable with enough time and effort

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

tumblrs are just obfuscation. it's still possible to backtrace through them, just more of a pain in the rear end than doing it for only a couple of transactions

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

apseudonym posted:

Unless they are law enforcement or being kept up by law enforcement to catch worse people.

or just waiting until they have such a gigantic stack of evidence they have a chaos dunk case

when the person you're going after is categorized as "active bomber" investigative resources start really getting their poo poo together; about the only thing that might have a decent chance of being untraceable would be randomly redistributing the bitcoins to random wallet addresses or something similarly detached.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

closet his thread

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

univbee posted:

or just waiting until they have such a gigantic stack of evidence they have a chaos dunk case

when the person you're going after is categorized as "active bomber" investigative resources start really getting their poo poo together; about the only thing that might have a decent chance of being untraceable would be randomly redistributing the bitcoins to random wallet addresses or something similarly detached.

there's probably a roundabout way to launder bitcoins through fiat cash but what self-respecting bitcoiner would stoop to that

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

it could be done with tumblrs, but you'd have to be very, very patient and pass them through a lot and do so semi-randomly and it's a ton of hassle

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

/u/changetip 666 satoshi

also could you find your internet of things swastika, I needed it yesterday and could not find it because you post too much

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

/u/changetip 666 satoshi

also could you find your internet of things swastika, I needed it yesterday and could not find it because you post too much

sure

I
                    N
                T              N
                    E      I      G
        O              *              S
            F      H      R
                T              N
                            E
                        T

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

haveblue posted:

there's probably a roundabout way to launder bitcoins through fiat cash but what self-respecting bitcoiner would stoop to that

even if they did, feds tracking a terrorist are going to threaten that laundering service and they will cooperate

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

they would buy enough time for the bomber to move to a country that he can't be extradited from, where he will have his Bitcoin wealth and never be allowed back into a country from which he could be extradited from

provided he finds somebody who will actually pay cash for his bitcoins, because any bank account would be flagged and frozen

and he doesn't just get shanked in an alley for the bitcoins and left to rot by a dumpster

it is a one in a million chance to successfully pull it off and live a happy life. in Russia

• Locked thread