Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My main problem with Shock Treatment is that the songs are lousy but what's her face was the ideal replacement for Susan Sarandon. Plus its nice to see Rik Mayall in a movie.

Jessica Harper, star of Suspiria and Phantom of the Paradise as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can never remember her name but I feel like she was before her time in some ways.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jack Gladney posted:

I would do the Apple and Xanadu as a kind of disco A-Z(-sound) thing.
Zardoz. And..?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I can never remember her name but I feel like she was before her time in some ways.

I always confuse her with Karen Allen

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
North and North because gently caress it.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
I just did a Gene Hackman double feature of the Conversation and The French Connection, both on Netflix instant!

It's a great contrast in performance, setting (SF vs NY), and 70s paranoia vs 70s grittiness. French connection is my favorite of the two but again, nice contrast.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

My main problem with Shock Treatment is that the songs are lousy but what's her face was the ideal replacement for Susan Sarandon. Plus its nice to see Rik Mayall in a movie.

The songs are great in Shock Treatment, don't know what you're talking about.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe it just needs to grow on me. I've only seen it once and listened to the songs a couple times.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
'Little Black Dress' and 'Bitchin' in the Kitchen' are the only ones I can remember.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Jessica Harper, star of Suspiria and Phantom of the Paradise as well!

also the very underrated Pennies From Heaven and a tiny bit part in Todd Haynes' Safe.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Maybe it just needs to grow on me. I've only seen it once and listened to the songs a couple times.

Shock Treatment's music is more of a chintzy, sullen attack, whereas Rocky Horror's music was all celebratory, regardless of subject matter. I get the sense that O'Brien is a lot more pissed off during the songwriting process; this seething disgust kinda hangs all over everything like a swampy heat. It's way more satirical and grumpy. I prefer watching it to Rocky Horror when I'm aggravated and don't necessarily want to feel better, but don't want to feel worse either.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Overall that's why I think I like Shock Treatment more. It's more focused on a message than Rocky Horror, and it builds upon a central thesis. Phantom of the Paradise is still better than both, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Well, O'Brian didn't write Rocky Horror in the traditional sense. He was tired and pissed off from Jesus Christ Superstar and wanted to write his own music, so he would just write different songs for fun: "Hot Patootie", "Science Fiction/ Double Feature", "Timewarp" "There's A Light", and then came up with a zany framework that would let him explore his interests: B-movies, Rock and Roll, Transvestism, Sexuality, and then re-worked the songs to fit together, then wrote more songs to add to the themes/story. It's a crazy way of writing a musical, but Rocky Horror, from it's inception, has a very rocky (heh) history. Again, it adds to my appreciation for the movie, because nothing about it should have worked, and yet it still a (rough) gem and a huge labor of love.

While it's not a perfect system, the songs you love from RHPS are most likely written before there was an idea to put them all together.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Overall that's why I think I like Shock Treatment more. It's more focused on a message than Rocky Horror, and it builds upon a central thesis.
Shock Treatment is worth watching just to see how O'Brien pretty much predicted stuff like reality TV culture and the whole "famous for being famous" thing.

I'll agree that it's better than Rocky Horror, but I don't know if I like it better than Phantom.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Phantom of The Paradise is in constant competition with True Stories for my favorite.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mysterious frankie posted:

Shock Treatment's music is more of a chintzy, sullen attack, whereas Rocky Horror's music was all celebratory, regardless of subject matter. I get the sense that O'Brien is a lot more pissed off during the songwriting process; this seething disgust kinda hangs all over everything like a swampy heat. It's way more satirical and grumpy. I prefer watching it to Rocky Horror when I'm aggravated and don't necessarily want to feel better, but don't want to feel worse either.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also the very underrated Pennies From Heaven and a tiny bit part in Todd Haynes' Safe.

Pennies From Heaven rules. Maybe I need to give Shock Treatment a chance again. Watching the famous musicals from the 80's, the only one I think is legitimately just a loving great movie is Purple Rain, and all the somewhat obscure ones (like Breakin 2, or School Daze, or Can't Stop The Music) are way better than the ones that get remembered (like Dirty Dancing or Fame).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's kind of a crime Breakin' 2 is better remembered for its subtitle and not for being a legitimately good dance movie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen Shock Treatment. Or even Purple Rain.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Pennies From Heaven rules. Maybe I need to give Shock Treatment a chance again. Watching the famous musicals from the 80's, the only one I think is legitimately just a loving great movie is Purple Rain, and all the somewhat obscure ones (like Breakin 2, or School Daze, or Can't Stop The Music) are way better than the ones that get remembered (like Dirty Dancing or Fame).

Purple Rain is loving good as hell and I can't believe I forgot about it. That picture of Prince all sitting astride his motorcycle, looking like a Belle Époque themed superhero, is chiseled into my memory from childhood.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Purple Rain is so good it makes me want to write an essay about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

It's kind of a crime Breakin' 2 is better remembered for its subtitle and not for being a legitimately good dance movie

Breakin and Breakin 2 are both shockingly good. Breakin 2 was one I didn't watch for years because I thought it would be as lame as its title but it owns. Same with Hair.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Franchescanado posted:

Well, O'Brian didn't write Rocky Horror in the traditional sense. He was tired and pissed off from Jesus Christ Superstar and wanted to write his own music, so he would just write different songs for fun: "Hot Patootie", "Science Fiction/ Double Feature", "Timewarp" "There's A Light", and then came up with a zany framework that would let him explore his interests: B-movies, Rock and Roll, Transvestism, Sexuality, and then re-worked the songs to fit together, then wrote more songs to add to the themes/story. It's a crazy way of writing a musical, but Rocky Horror, from it's inception, has a very rocky (heh) history. Again, it adds to my appreciation for the movie, because nothing about it should have worked, and yet it still a (rough) gem and a huge labor of love.

While it's not a perfect system, the songs you love from RHPS are most likely written before there was an idea to put them all together.

I think my real problem with Rocky Horror is that it is so front loaded. It is a blast for the first 40 minutes or so. The songs are good, it's dynamic and energetic. halfway through it just grinds to a halt and I find myself fast forwarding to get to the end.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I agree. If it were more like Clue, which is just consistently funny throughout, I'd have a better time with it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
If you have a chance, watch Purple Rain with an audience. It completely changes the movie when you have a group of people who are really into it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

I think my real problem with Rocky Horror is that it is so front loaded. It is a blast for the first 40 minutes or so. The songs are good, it's dynamic and energetic. halfway through it just grinds to a halt and I find myself fast forwarding to get to the end.

While I agree with this 100%, the 2nd half still delivers "Eddie's Teddy', "The Floor Show Medley" (including Rose Tint My World, Wild & Untamed Thing, Don't Dream It Be It), and some of Tim Curry's most ridiculous overacting. So, while the pacing is problematic, it has enough to keep me having fun.

I'm not the biggest musical fan, either, so I'll have to track down all of the ones mentioned in this thread.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you have a chance, watch Purple Rain with an audience. It completely changes the movie when you have a group of people who are really into it.

I actually did watch it with an audience in 1984.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

nate fisher posted:

I actually did watch it with an audience in 1984.

What in the world was that like?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Breakin' and Breakin' 2 are both awesome, but everyone needs to see Wild Style. It's the original hip-hop/graffiti/break dancing movie with mostly non-actors. It's like a time capsule back to early 80s not-so-safe NYC. In one scene they hired a couple of dudes that were hanging around to play muggers, and the guys pulled out their own sawed-off shotgun to use.

e: can't check now, but it was on Netflix as of a few weeks ago

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Dirty Dancing is a legitimately good movie even if it has some extremely controversial material going on.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

What in the world was that like?

It was actually pretty cool at the time, but I was in 7th grade.

The first VHS movies my family ever rented was Purple Rain and Dawn of the Dead. I remember my grandmother watching Purple Rain, and the first time the 'F' word was dropped, she looked at me and said, 'What is this world coming to?'. She gets up and doesn't come back. I want to say this was Thanksgiving 1985.

80's fun fact we rented the VCR too until they went down in price.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 14, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

I blind bought School Daze once and was really disappointed finally watching it. Luckily I gave it another swing and realized it was actually pre' dope.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
Netflix has a show called Rectify, about a guy who wrongly (or was it) went to prison for 20 years and then gets released thanks to DNA evidence.
I hadn't heard of it till it popped up in my recommended list on Netflix.
Its pretty well made and well acted, I would recommend it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Goddamn it, now I have to watch Purple Rain.

Or at the very least throw on Darling Nikki because, Jesus Christ, Darling Nikki.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I got around to watching Runaway Train after the effort post and discussion a bit earlier in the thread. Seeing "Story by Akira Kurosawa" was a pleasant surprise since I had forgotten most of the details in the write up. The only other role I can remember Jon Voight from is the super sleazeball creep from Heat, so his force-of-nature performance in this blew me away. The actual "runaway train" aspect never becomes tiring and the movie refreshingly doesn't rely on tropes like a passenger train escaping harm in the nick of time or having the controllers radio instructions on how to stop the train (like what they parodied in Airplane!). The ending was also much more poetic than what you would expect from a low-budget action movie. Recognizing Danny Trejo and what I think was the senile old guy from Twin Peaks was a fun bonus.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

space-man posted:

Netflix has a show called Rectify, about a guy who wrongly (or was it) went to prison for 20 years and then gets released thanks to DNA evidence.
I hadn't heard of it till it popped up in my recommended list on Netflix.
Its pretty well made and well acted, I would recommend it.

Best show on television. Season 3 just wrapped up and is as good as season 1. Season 2 stumbles a little but is good.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I recently watched a documentary from the early 70s called Marjoe. It was on a Roku channel dedicated to documentaries but it might be available elsewhere.

It was fascinating. The subject is a guy named Marjoe Gortner, who started as an evangelical preacher at the age of four. However, he has gone through a ton of reflection about what he did as a kid, what he does with his talents as an adult, and how his audience experiences his preaching. The film follows him as he goes on a tent revival tour. It's an amazing look at a transitional period for fundamentalism in the U.S.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The adult Marjoe also stars in Star Crash.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i dunno if we do HBO Now here but May is up on HBO Now and it's one of my favorite movies, go watch it if you got it

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Purple Rain is so good it makes me want to write an essay about it.

You should do this, except, a thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The adult Marjoe also stars in Star Crash.

And Food of the Gods. He's a fascinating person, and a good guy.