Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Panfilo posted:

Carriers are a lot of fun. I enjoy playing something that makes other people so frustrated they want to quit the game. I'd prefer the challenge and sportsmanship of opponents that don't mind dealing with carriers, and have the skill to make it challenging for me to deal with them.

:allears: Look at you, you special snowflake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

If you want fun, drive a cruiser. They're the only fun ships right now, everything else is pure frustration because of cruisers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The thing I like about Cruisers is they are incredibly versatile. You typically get a lot of guns with a good rate of fire, so they're pretty good at dealing with Destroyers. Against Battleships you can pelt them with HE and cause lots of fires. After tier 6, you can disrupt carrier strike runs and due to the AA, profile and agility of many cruisers most Carriers will actually avoid you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alright, so, the New York is a perfectly fine boat except that I keep having to fight Clevelands and 'getting in to brawl' doesn't work well when you can only go 17 knots and every section of your boat is constantly on fire.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I love #BlackLivesMatter

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

PirateBob posted:

I love #BlackLivesMatter

The best is when someone TKs you over it. I want to make someone turn purple because of it.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
:words:
/edit for bitching.
Is there any talk of team stacks like WoT?

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 14, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Panfilo posted:

Complaints about unfair advantages from Carriers are obviously skewed toward IJN carriers, based on these stats. If IJN carriers had the same stats as USN carriers, they'd be on par/slightly better than Battleships, which is reasonable.

You can't separate the stats by flight deck, so that's not necessarily the whole story. It's likely that fighter heavy carriers are holding the US line averages down more than the Japanese, especially at lower tiers (since fighter carrier players don't reach tier 10 as quickly).

NTRabbit posted:

If you want fun, drive a cruiser. They're the only fun ships right now, everything else is pure frustration because of cruisers.

I honestly can't tell if this is a typo or just an NTRabbit post.

For all the talk about cruisers beating battleships, it rarely happens that way in practice unless the battleship is playing especially badly. There's a reason Colorado is the only battleship past tier 5 not to outdamage every equal tier cruiser (and anyway the New Mexico at tier 6 outdamages every tier 7 cruiser).
Fire does significant damage over time, but battleships do all their damage right away when they hit.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How is the Myogi supposed to be played? I can't seem to reliably hit anything at a distance, but if I try to close, my guns traverse way too slowly for any kind of close in fighting/maneuvering. This is the first ship where I've felt like it was a straight downgrade from the previous tier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Devorum posted:

How is the Myogi supposed to be played? I can't seem to reliably hit anything at a distance, but if I try to close, my guns traverse way too slowly for any kind of close in fighting/maneuvering. This is the first ship where I've felt like it was a straight downgrade from the previous tier.

SUFFER WITH ME.

In seriousness, the Myogi gets way better once it gets its upgrades because the ridiculous max-range gives it surprising accuracy at saner ranges and it can go 30 knots. That's like, the one good thing about it: The Myogi has a hell of a lot of speed, and firing while running away from better boats with your two back turrets is perfectly reasonable. Once its hull is maxed, the turret traverse also becomes good enough to fight closer in.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

James Garfield posted:

For all the talk about cruisers beating battleships, it rarely happens that way in practice unless the battleship is playing especially badly. There's a reason Colorado is the only battleship past tier 5 not to outdamage every equal tier cruiser (and anyway the New Mexico at tier 6 outdamages every tier 7 cruiser).
Fire does significant damage over time, but battleships do all their damage right away when they hit.

I think this is more due to different experiences. Dying from the fire of 3+ Cruisers is like dying to thousands of papercuts. From my own experiences a single Cruiser isn't a threat to a BB. Having to deal with multiple Cruisers isn't easy. And more like to sink the BB, unless the BB gets a couple of very good hits.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The BB also can't, you know, run away from the cruisers very easily. The New York is incredibly slow, after all, and again: The Cleveland's guns are like lasers that shoot fire and its citadel is a mysterious tiny box.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Night10194 posted:

The BB also can't, you know, run away from the cruisers very easily. The New York is incredibly slow, after all, and again: The Cleveland's guns are like lasers that shoot fire and its citadel is a mysterious tiny box.

I would not be shocked if the Cleveland didn't have a Citadel.

I nailed a Cleveland with about 20 shots of 8inch AP at under 2km and no slope.

Not a single Citadel shot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, I know it's off to the sides and the center area doesn't have one, but it's still really hard to hit the drat thing.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Devorum posted:

How is the Myogi supposed to be played?

As little as humanly possible.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Awww yisssssss

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Devorum posted:

It's good enough once upgraded.

Good belt armor
Good speed
Good rudder shift time
Good turret turn time

Bad deck armor
Bad accuracy

Get close to stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At last. I have finished the Myogi...only to find that buying the New York has left me broke and I can't afford the Kongo yet. :negative:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Xae posted:

I would not be shocked if the Cleveland didn't have a Citadel. I nailed a Cleveland with about 20 shots of 8inch AP at under 2km and no slope. Not a single Citadel shot.

I've hit the Citadel of the Cleveland, even with another Cleveland (shot range). Though most have been magazine citadel hits (below turrets). Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9sfAZSM3Hs

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 14, 2015

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
Have I mentioned how much I love the Warspite? I won btw :D

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

James Garfield posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is a typo or just an NTRabbit post.

I'm at tier 5, and there's nothing a Destroyer or Battleship does that a Cruiser can't do better and more enjoyably. Battleships are death by a thousand flaming cuts at or just outside of max range for all but the Kongo, Destroyers are instant death death on being sighted by the planes that are sent everywhere to find destroyers, and not being able to get within the 5km it takes to actually torpedo anyone paying attention. The best two ships in every tier I've seen so far are both cruisers except for tier 6 with the New Mexico.

It can be fun to drive carriers, but only if the mm doesn't screw up, and only if you don't fly anywhere near a cruiser.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 14, 2015

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I need a mod that puts a Kongo pagoda on my Minekaze and plays the Jaws theme when someone is in torp range.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Xae posted:

I would not be shocked if the Cleveland didn't have a Citadel.

I nailed a Cleveland with about 20 shots of 8inch AP at under 2km and no slope.

Not a single Citadel shot.

The Cleveland's citadel is a very thin strip that's far under the waterline. Battleships aren't accurate enough to hit it. If you're super close, your shots skim off the the top armor.

I've citadelled Clevelands in the god-machine Mogami. Usually at like 6-7 seconds of travel time.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Credit to WG, both the ones they've released so far have been entertaining to watch.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Cleveland's citadel is a very thin strip that's far under the waterline. Battleships aren't accurate enough to hit it. If you're super close, your shots skim off the the top armor.

I've citadelled Clevelands in the god-machine Mogami. Usually at like 6-7 seconds of travel time.

There is also citadels forward of main battery and behind rear battery, 9/10 shots on Clevelands are cits for me in my newmex, nc, iowa.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Michi88 posted:

There is also citadels forward of main battery and behind rear battery, 9/10 shots on Clevelands are cits for me in my newmex, nc, iowa.

I had a ton of trouble citadeling the Cleveland in the Ibuki but that may just be the 203s on the Ibuki being rear end.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Michi88 posted:

Clevelands certainly can't handle the tier 6 BBs. Both the Fuso and the NM are like the Clevelands kryptonite. However they seem to handle tier 7 BBs fine. I mean I don't often solo down full health tier 7s, but I feel like I can solo off way more hitpoints then I should be able to.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hagop posted:

Clevelands certainly can't handle the tier 6 BBs. Both the Fuso and the NM are like the Clevelands kryptonite. However they seem to handle tier 7 BBs fine. I mean I don't often solo down full health tier 7s, but I feel like I can solo off way more hitpoints then I should be able to.

Mogami on the other hand seems to be pure hell to all but the most elite battleship driver.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

radintorov posted:

Credit to WG, both the ones they've released so far have been entertaining to watch.
That one was good. The first one was unironically Bad Advice and has led many a pubbie battleship player astray. I still see tier 4 and 5 battleships shooting HE when grinding credits in the Murmansk.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^^^
I'm okay with that.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Hagop posted:

You are playing wrong then, I can solo almost any BB with a cleveland, just stay at 14-16km and rain on them until they burn to death, they can't handle the number of fires you keep restarting on them.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Washout posted:

You are playing wrong then, I can solo almost any BB with a cleveland, just stay at 14-16km and rain on them until they burn to death, they can't handle the number of fires you keep restarting on them.

Pretty much. HE is just too good at the moment.

God I wish my internet was working properly so I could play. :(

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Does anyone know of a list/guide that shows how much XP is required per captain point ?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Blinks77 posted:

I think I shall be keeping the New Mex. By the end i was averaging 2k base a game. Mostly because of retarded Clevelands going "i has turrets on mah back, must shoot with all of them" and getting AP'd through their citadels for their stupidity.

Also, tell me more. Playing this solo gets kinda old.

Pharnakes posted:

I'm on most nights, I haven't been on TS much since I've mostly been playing with non goon friends, but feel free to add me in game, Rudi_Starnberg.

Blinks, what's your in game name ? Mine is Panzerblitz, adding Rudi later tonight.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Blinks, what's your in game name ? Mine is Panzerblitz, adding Rudi later tonight.

Blinks. Originally enough.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Huh. Apparently this patch adds models and stats for USS Worcester :swoon:, some US cruiser with 4x3 8" guns and torpedo launchers, the Kamikaze class destroyer (looks like a premium Minekaze) and a Pensacola as originally built.
I can't say no to the tier 10 looking ships, especially a tier 10 light cruiser, but I can't see the other two being anything but :geno: premium ships.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Request for the BB Ferguson confirmed works.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

James Garfield posted:

Huh. Apparently this patch adds models and stats for USS Worcester :swoon:, some US cruiser with 4x3 8" guns and torpedo launchers, the Kamikaze class destroyer (looks like a premium Minekaze) and a Pensacola as originally built.
I can't say no to the tier 10 looking ships, especially a tier 10 light cruiser, but I can't see the other two being anything but :geno: premium ships.

Which Worcester are you talking about? The only one I know had 6x2 6" guns and kind of sucked, mostly because the guns were heavily optimised for AA but were too big and slow to be any use against jets and too AAish to be much use for anti surface fire.

But she did manage to waste a few million bucks (ineffectually) engaging some geese once.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pharnakes posted:

Which Worcester are you talking about? The only one I know had 6x2 6" guns and kind of sucked, mostly because the guns were heavily optimised for AA but were too big and slow to be any use against jets and too AAish to be much use for anti surface fire.

But she did manage to waste a few million bucks (ineffectually) engaging some geese once.

She sucked IRL, but who doesn't want a ship with 12 6" guns that are to the cleveland what the Des Moines' 8"s are to the other heavy cruisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
It appears to have 6 km AA range and 12 rounds per minute. I'm okay with that.