Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

A CIC 2lt I know is getting married, and has asked all CAF members attending (mostly their cadet friends, I hope) to wear DEUs to their wedding. They included the dress regs on their RSVP.

What goes on in the cadet world where this is considered cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Frosted Flake posted:

A CIC 2lt I know is getting married, and has asked all CAF members attending (mostly their cadet friends, I hope) to wear DEUs to their wedding. They included the dress regs on their RSVP.

What goes on in the cadet world where this is considered cool?

lol

I've seen this before. I still have mixed feelings about CIC even being issued CADPAT and DEU's.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

So apparently after the retirement of the destroyers we have the force projection abilities of a 6th tier navy like Bangladesh, suitable only for in-shore operations

And our grand crusade against ISIL is contributing 4% of the overall sorties. That's a damned rounding error.

What the hell has happened to the forces?

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Apparently it's bad when you're at the War Museum and tell a CIC in DEUs that they should be wearing their medals with that order of dress. In front of several of their cadets (Who all had little cadet medals). :allears:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

DrakeriderCa posted:

lol

I've seen this before. I still have mixed feelings about CIC even being issued CADPAT and DEU's.

How else will you be able to embarrass yourself by saluting a cadet officer, though?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lassitude posted:

How else will you be able to embarrass yourself by saluting a cadet officer, though?

Would I have to? I kind of want to rock my Fur Hat, Yukon Style. I also want to publicly shame CIC, especially if they bring swords or swagger sticks or any of the archaic stuff cadets love.

OR I can get ripped and hit on bridesmaids in normal clothes.

e:

MA-Horus posted:

So apparently after the retirement of the destroyers we have the force projection abilities of a 6th tier navy like Bangladesh, suitable only for in-shore operations

And our grand crusade against ISIL is contributing 4% of the overall sorties. That's a damned rounding error.

What the hell has happened to the forces?

In 1945, Canada had the world's third largest navy. It was larger than the Soviet fleet.

We also had an aircraft carrier(s?) into the 60's.

I'm sure this played a role:

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/rex-murphy-on-the-somalia-affair-bloody-and-contemptuous-images

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 11, 2015

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Cadet officers technically hold a commission. You're technically supposed to salute them etc.. With a lot of them around it'd be best to stay in civvies to avoid a hassle and distance yourself from what will inevitably be a pathetic showing of CIC losers playing soldier dress-up.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Ruse posted:

Apparently it's bad when you're at the War Museum and tell a CIC in DEUs that they should be wearing their medals with that order of dress. In front of several of their cadets (Who all had little cadet medals). :allears:

I was going to say that DEUs with ribbons is an order of dress, but then I got the joke

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I like the teen glider instructors walking around in RCAF-issue flight suits, wings that look real from a distance/to the casual observer, and "QGI" patches that look otherwise exactly like "QFI." Qualified Glider Instructor (teens that went to summer camp) versus Qualified Flight Instructor (adults who have many hundreds/thousands of hours in real airplanes). The longer I spend in MJ stressed out of my mind the more this pisses me off.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
Its too bad with the CIC that they have this whole stupid commissioned officer thing attached to them. Having worked a couple summers with them, I think the Cadet program is fantastic, and one of the last vestiges of government sponsored youth activity (after katimavik et. al got butchered).

Lots of the CIC were just young former cadets, or teachers or others interested in youth development that didnt throw around the rank or even really pretend to play Army. They were great, they understood what their actual job was.

The bad ones of course stand out the most, and those are the ones that stay in to play Army.

Also between reading Army.ca and having to listen to a racist old dinosaur at work (ex-Cbt Eng NCM) there needs to be a formal group that says "gently caress Army dinosaurs", because seriously, gently caress off. Every time they open their mouth I get more embarrassed to be even remotely associated with them.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Oh yeah don't get me wrong - I had a great experience in the cadet programme and despite its flaws its a good programme. But I just think there's no way the CIC officers should wear the same uniforms as actual fully trained military officers. It diminishes the meaning of the uniform.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I only get to play in the hiring/screening process of CIC officers, so I don't know what sort of coolaid they're fed after they're signed up by the units. It's usually a 50/50 mix of cadets aging out and C/MWOs who can't think of anything to do with their golden years other than play Army.

Still doesn't mean I'll salute a CIC.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Oh yeah don't get me wrong - I had a great experience in the cadet programme and despite its flaws its a good programme. But I just think there's no way the CIC officers should wear the same uniforms as actual fully trained military officers. It diminishes the meaning of the uniform.

Exactly my point. It diminishes what they do as well (child and youth development is super important, definitely more important than some Class A reservist going on a weekend recce ex), and diminishes the uniform. Sure, have a uniform, cops and firefighters do too. Tradition's great. No commission though, gently caress that.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Melian Dialogue posted:

Exactly my point. It diminishes what they do as well (child and youth development is super important, definitely more important than some Class A reservist going on a weekend recce ex), and diminishes the uniform. Sure, have a uniform, cops and firefighters do too. Tradition's great. No commission though, gently caress that.

Yeah, exactly

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
A good buddy of mine made a Facebook post about how CIC should have to do the force test and it should be harder. He got an email from his Maj on leave - I guess someone bitched about it and he's in for poo poo.

People CIC's are babies

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm not very familiar with cadets or their instructors. How are they any different from any of the support trades or reservists or anything else that's not very high on the army dick-waving totem pole? Like I've known guys who got their jump wings in cadets but they're really no worse than the mailman who has his five training jumps and a water jump.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If Postal Clerks can get jump wings, I've made some very bad career choices.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Frosted Flake posted:

If Postal Clerks can get jump wings, I've made some very bad career choices.

There were all kinds of trades at the para school in Trenton.

On the subject of cadets, can CICs force their troops to wash their disgusting bodies? I was on a flight back from the UK this week with about fifty cadets from some kind of shooting team, all wearing RCAC apparel, and the miasma that polluted the air around their block of seats made me want to friggin yak. It was seriously an embarrassment to have them stinking up the place while ostensibly representing Canadian youth and I'm of half a mind to tell the Connaught CSM a few words to that effect.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

acumen posted:

I'm not very familiar with cadets or their instructors. How are they any different from any of the support trades or reservists or anything else that's not very high on the army dick-waving totem pole? Like I've known guys who got their jump wings in cadets but they're really no worse than the mailman who has his five training jumps and a water jump.

CIC are commissioned officers with zero actual military training. Like, not even BOC or whatever they call it now. But they still hold the same commission and wear the same uniforms.

And yeah, the jump course is the same. Which is why it's the only course that transfers from Cadets to the military AFAIK.

flakeloaf posted:

There were all kinds of trades at the para school in Trenton.

On the subject of cadets, can CICs force their troops to wash their disgusting bodies? I was on a flight back from the UK this week with about fifty cadets from some kind of shooting team, all wearing RCAC apparel, and the miasma that polluted the air around their block of seats made me want to friggin yak. It was seriously an embarrassment to have them stinking up the place while ostensibly representing Canadian youth and I'm of half a mind to tell the Connaught CSM a few words to that effect.

The National Rifle Team? No, they should have been back weeks ago. Probably one of the exchanges. I hope it wasn't the NRT. Don't ruin my alma mater, stinking teenagers! :argh:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Wait they still give cadets rifles? It was a big deal when I was an air cadet that we used Lee Enfield .22s, then they all got taken away and replaced with pellet rifles

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Wait they still give cadets rifles? It was a big deal when I was an air cadet that we used Lee Enfield .22s, then they all got taken away and replaced with pellet rifles

Last year we taught some seniors the shooting package from BMQ over the course of a month. Took them to the range and let 'em rip with the C7s (In a safe and controlled manner, of course!)

This year, machine guns :rms:

(Assuming someone higher doesn't take offence at the Army cadets doing... Army things? Apparently the C7s were quite the stretch last year, but it seems one of our affiliated corps CO's has some clout. I'm not exactly acclimatized to the Cadet Politics, I just help train them to be child sol- fine upstanding members of Canadian society on occasion)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I take issue with that.

There's hardly any ammo for training in the reserves and Cadets are being given C9/C6s? That's full-on bullshit. Not to mention that if one of them got hurt (somehow I dunno teenagers are dumb as gently caress) the media furor would be stupendous.

Cadets have no business whatsoever being near an LMG.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I put a former cadet through BMQ and BMQ-L and he was better with firearms due to his cadet experience than some of the full-time infantry guys I've worked with.

Seriously if you're gonna bash on cadets for being under-trained noncombatants undeserving of uniform and fancy guns you may as well lump 80% of the CAF trades (and 99% of the reserves) in with them as well. Or everyone could just be treated with respect equally.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

I take issue with that.

There's hardly any ammo for training in the reserves and Cadets are being given C9/C6s? That's full-on bullshit. Not to mention that if one of them got hurt (somehow I dunno teenagers are dumb as gently caress) the media furor would be stupendous.

Cadets have no business whatsoever being near an LMG.

Having spent some time planning around this at the unit level, I'm not so sure if there really is a lack of small arms ammunition kicking around the system. The limiting factor seems to be the training budget. We can't pay soldiers to shoot our ammo allotment, so a large part of it goes unused as weird as it might sound.

I worked with some Artillery comrades this last summer. Their allotments for the coming training year are abysmal. Something like 150 rounds for the guns and nothing for the mortars, again at the unit level.

e: This is speaking from a militia perspective of course.

Nofeed fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 14, 2015

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nofeed posted:

I worked with some Artillery comrades this last summer. Their allotments for the coming training year are abysmal. Something like 150 rounds for the guns and nothing for the mortars, again at the unit level.

There's a reason for that and it's not training budget. It's not opsec but it is something you don't really want to discuss on the internet.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DrakeriderCa posted:

The National Rifle Team? No, they should have been back weeks ago. Probably one of the exchanges. I hope it wasn't the NRT. Don't ruin my alma mater, stinking teenagers! :argh:

Certainly sounds like them.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

There's a reason for that and it's not training budget. It's not opsec but it is something you don't really want to discuss on the internet.

Yeah, it involves the C3's advanced age catching up with them finally. And the RCA making GBS threads a collective brick.

And there is a very, very large difference between a cadet and a reservist. The largest one being, a cadet is a child. I feel it is irresonsible to give a child a machine gun under any circumstances.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Reserve artillery is hosed beyond belief. Regimental Mafias are still going strong though, I can think of at least one regiment that has more museum pieces than working guns.To wit, 6lbr, 17lbr, two old-timey muzzle loaders, 25lbr, 155 M1. Meanwhile at least half of their mortars and guns are down at any given time.

Also 42 FD is incapable of storing or maintaining their own guns, so 2 Horse has to take care of them.

I kind of want things to get so bad that they just throw in the towel and give 777s to the Reserves to simplify training and maintenance.
Alternatively, ADATS and M109s pulled out of War Storage. The comedy value alone would be worth it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Also 42 FD is incapable of storing or maintaining their own guns, so 2 Horse has to take care of them.

How

What

They're not capable of STORING their guns? Do they not have a gun park any more? What in the sweet gently caress?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

42 is still out of their armouries from when they were a Highland unit, so it's one of those old brick buildings, and not at all designed to store guns. I think they used to have to get them into and out of the basement somehow. It's easier for them to leave the guns on base and drive in from Pembroke for exercises.

Reserve artillery is a joke anyways, and 42 got re-rolled in 2006 very bitterly so I'm willing to cut them some slack. The state that 7 Tor, 11, 30 etc. are in is way less excusable.

I wonder if 5 Div has it any better, they got all the LGs after they were dumped to the school in Gagetown. I think that was a ploy to cannibalize all their C3s for parts.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I read that as "reverse artillery" and now I think a giant magnet that could attract incoming fire would be cool.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

A giant magnet that could attract incoming fire would be cool.

Should be easy enough to get into Armoured Recce.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

From everything I hear 11 is in a very poo poo state. Of course everyone has a stiff upper lip about it but it seems that things are just beyond lovely.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

Has anyone here worked in or with int before? From the outside looking in it seems like a cool trade but I want someone to convince me that it sucks before I talk to the PSO about knowing more.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Yeah, but they return from the UK in late July or early August. The Maple Leaf and Scotland exchanges come back later, which fits the timeline better.

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah, it involves the C3's advanced age catching up with them finally. And the RCA making GBS threads a collective brick.

And there is a very, very large difference between a cadet and a reservist. The largest one being, a cadet is a child. I feel it is irresonsible to give a child a machine gun under any circumstances.

:rolleyes:

"Child" usually describes kids 12 yrs old and younger. Cadets are 12-18, which makes them teenagers, which is a huge difference from children. They're fully capable of handling machine guns while supervised. Having been in both cadets and the mo, I can assure you that I trained with cadets who were more physically able and emotionally mature than some 24 yr old infantrymen. Making sweeping assertions about either is pointless. When I was 16 I was shooting a fullbore target rifle at 1000 yards more accurately than probably 95% of the CF could. But I'm probably misremembering because I was a child.

BIG NORTH posted:

Has anyone here worked in or with int before? From the outside looking in it seems like a cool trade but I want someone to convince me that it sucks before I talk to the PSO about knowing more.

I was INT when I was in. What do you want to know? It's like every other trade - 5% of the jobs are cool as hell, and 95% are boring.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

More or less was wondering what day to day is like, which you probably can't go into great detail about. I'm supply right now and I am sick of the trade, just weighing options. The spec world looks appealing right now (AVN).

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
The reserves are in the media today - this time, it's from a campaign promise to increase their size from 24,000 to 30,000 over the next four years.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/stephen-harper-pledges-expansion-of-military-reserves-1.3193200

There was some noise in there about budgets for the reserves as well. Does anyone here have any comments about this?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

David Corbett posted:

The reserves are in the media today - this time, it's from a campaign promise to increase their size from 24,000 to 30,000 over the next four years.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/stephen-harper-pledges-expansion-of-military-reserves-1.3193200

There was some noise in there about budgets for the reserves as well. Does anyone here have any comments about this?

Well, I've stopped putting a shred of faith in to things that are actual official government announcements, not sure why I should give the time of day something that's just a campaign promise.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

David Corbett posted:

I'm of the opinion that he'll probably continue his existing policy towards the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A plan to increase the number of underequipped, underdressed, out-of-practice troops by 25%? That'll be accompanied by a corresponding boost to Veterans' Affairs too right?