Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

thrawn527 posted:

Hey Beer, thanks again for the BeerSheets! I submitted a custom draft request a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't seen it yet on the weekly sheets. Did you ask for the draft date so you could post some custom ones closer to draft date?

Did you look in the custom folder on drop box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Suave Fedora posted:

We're going to need a Rate My Draft thread going into this weekend.

Definitely. poo poo's about to get real.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ertz is out for the rest of the preseason after a surgery. Bradford will not play this Sunday. One notable observer said he's "definitely not ready"

Just passing it on..

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thrawn527 posted:

Hey Beer, thanks again for the BeerSheets! I submitted a custom draft request a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't seen it yet on the weekly sheets. Did you ask for the draft date so you could post some custom ones closer to draft date?

Yes. I have approximately 1400 requests at the moment.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CompeAnansi posted:

Did you look in the custom folder on drop box?

Yeah, I checked.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's what I figured, but wanted to make sure (though not that many, yikes). Thanks again!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If you want something sooner shoot me a PM. I don't mind doing it but I don't want to be swamped.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

H o l y s h i t

piss

Donated :10bux: I hope that helps a little

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I have and always will maintain that ending up with picks 6-12 are much better than 1-5. why?

because picks 1-5 are almost always used to draft running backs and its very difficult not to when you get those picks EVEN THOUGH historically only 30% of RBs drafted in the first round become top 10 players at their position. WRs drafted in the first round are twice as likely to reach their potential.

Basically, anyone who gets the first couple picks is too scared to deviate away from picking a RB even though it makes sense statistically. Getting a later pick basically forces you into taking the best WR instead of the 3rd or 4th best RB.

I am obviously a big fan of the no RB strategy with the exception of maybe the first two picks. It has worked out quite well for me.

Anyone try using this approach?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

I have and always will maintain that ending up with picks 6-12 are much better than 1-5. why?

because picks 1-5 are almost always used to draft running backs and its very difficult not to when you get those picks EVEN THOUGH historically only 30% of RBs drafted in the first round become top 10 players at their position. WRs drafted in the first round are twice as likely to reach their potential.

Basically, anyone who gets the first couple picks is too scared to deviate away from picking a RB even though it makes sense statistically. Getting a later pick basically forces you into taking the best WR instead of the 3rd or 4th best RB.

I am obviously a big fan of the no RB strategy with the exception of maybe the first two picks. It has worked out quite well for me.

I'm picking third this weekend and if were not to have one of Charles, AP or Leveon I would be a shivering, sniveling mess up until Week 1, so unfortunately I will not be enjoining in this cruel experiment.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Suave Fedora posted:

I'm picking third this weekend and if were not to have one of Charles, AP or Leveon I would be a shivering, sniveling mess up until Week 1, so unfortunately I will not be enjoining in this cruel experiment.

well statistically speaking, 2 of those 3 will not end up in the top 10 of running backs. Taking Antonio Brown or Dez is a safer bet in the first and crucial round. Thats why I say its better to get pick 6 instead of 3. It becomes an easier decision to pass on the RB

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TommyGun85 posted:

I have pick 3 in one league and pick 4 in another, and I'm considering going WR in both to A) avoid this issue B) get the best WR in each league and C) confuse people. They're both PPR.

Possibly not worth it. I'll probably just trust in the Beer Sheet for pick one. But in most mock drafts, when I got WR/WR in round 1 and 2, Frank Gore is my RB1 when I get one in pick 3. I don't know how I feel about that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thrawn527 posted:

I have pick 3 in one league and pick 4 in another, and I'm considering going WR in both to A) avoid this issue B) get the best WR in each league and C) confuse people. They're both PPR.

Possibly not worth it. I'll probably just trust in the Beer Sheet for pick one. But in most mock drafts, when I got WR/WR in round 1 and 2, Frank Gore is my RB1 when I get one in pick 3. I don't know how I feel about that.

Full PPR? I would draft Antonio Brown without hesitation.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alright, I probably will then. The people picking in front of me in both are people I'm 99% positive will go RB, so he should be there still.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have the same pick in a .5 pt PPR and am taking Brown.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Beer, this is quite a long shot. I imagine it might be a lot of work. But what are the chances of getting BeerSheets to list the players' ages?

For keeper/dynasty drafting, it'd be really nice to have an immediate reference especially in the later rounds. So like in round 12, I'm looking at a fourth WR and BeerSheets is showing me like 8 interchangeable players whose names I don't know very well, and in that event I probably just want to avoid picking the old guys and aim for the 2nd-year veterans who are more likely to have an upswing to their careers in coming years.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
correct me if im wrong Beer but the Beersheets are most valuable in the rounds after the first. For the first round you want to make sure ypu dont miss and you are twice as likely to miss by taking a top 5 adp RB than you are a top 5 adp WR.

anyway, im just speaking from past experience of what has worked for me. I plan to go WR/WR then use beersheets for the remainder of the draft based on positional scarcity.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Gore is going to have a good year.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

old dog child posted:

Gore is going to have a good year.

Which is why I'm considering grabbing him in the early 2nd round (keeper league, lots of round 1 talent gone). It's really going to be between him or Aaron Rodgers (6PPT, 1PPR for RBs)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

TommyGun85 posted:

I take the guy who I project to score the most points next year on a round by round basis. The only reason I would wait on a guy is if I am confident he will be around one pick later. Picking early isn't a limiting factor. Just make sure you draft the guy who is going to score the most points. :v:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sataere posted:

I take the guy who I project to score the most points next year on a round by round basis. The only reason I would wait on a guy is if I am confident he will be around one pick later. Picking early isn't a limiting factor. Just make sure you draft the guy who is going to score the most points. :v:

I don't think that's quite what you do, or you'd be picking QBs every round :D E: Actually I guess Brown scored more than most/all QBs?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Who says he doesn't?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Varg posted:

okay now you're just being silly

e: oh wait he only starts one RB? well then maybe so :shrug:

Just for the record, there are also two RB slots in that league, but I only included the WR-eligible positions because we were discussing a WR :ssh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Leperflesh posted:

Beer, this is quite a long shot. I imagine it might be a lot of work. But what are the chances of getting BeerSheets to list the players' ages?

For keeper/dynasty drafting, it'd be really nice to have an immediate reference especially in the later rounds. So like in round 12, I'm looking at a fourth WR and BeerSheets is showing me like 8 interchangeable players whose names I don't know very well, and in that event I probably just want to avoid picking the old guys and aim for the 2nd-year veterans who are more likely to have an upswing to their careers in coming years.

For Keeper/Dynasty I would rather have their dynasty ADP instead of their age. If it's a slow draft I would take advantage of FantasyPros or DLF.

TommyGun85 posted:

correct me if im wrong Beer but the Beersheets are most valuable in the rounds after the first. For the first round you want to make sure ypu dont miss and you are twice as likely to miss by taking a top 5 adp RB than you are a top 5 adp WR.

anyway, im just speaking from past experience of what has worked for me. I plan to go WR/WR then use beersheets for the remainder of the draft based on positional scarcity.

There's nothing wrong with that, and in fact determining player reliability is one of the reasons I added the historical column (1/2/P). For example last year in a 12 team half PPR league Antonio Brown produced starter level (WR2 or better) points in 14 of his 15 games. That's pretty drat impressive. The only other players who did that were Leveon Bell (15 games), DeMarco Murray, Gronk, and Andrew Luck. If you're talking about elite numbers (RB1, WR1, or top half of QB/TE) then the only players who put up double digit elite games last year were Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Arian Foster, Andrew Luck, and Antonio Brown.

I consider BeerSheets to be a guide. There will be players I don't like that I won't draft unless it's a round or two later, and there will be players I will absolutely reach on. In the end it's about your team and how happy you are with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 14, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rate my team thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736579

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For Keeper/Dynasty I would rather have their dynasty ADP instead of their age. If it's a slow draft I would take advantage of FantasyPros or DLF.

Hmm, yeah fair point.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Doing an auction draft and trying to get a feel for players I might be interested in certain budget ranges. Thoughts on Melvin Gordon vs Todd Gurley?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cart Mountain posted:

Doing an auction draft and trying to get a feel for players I might be interested in certain budget ranges. Thoughts on Melvin Gordon vs Todd Gurley?

Redraft Gordon, dynasty Gurley.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

jabro posted:

Redraft Gordon, dynasty Gurley.

Gurley is currently slated to miss 2-3 regular season games, and those games missed projections rarely go down

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Woodhead gonna overshadow Gordon all year unless that lunchpail grit machine gets hurt.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think that's quite what you do, or you'd be picking QBs every round :D E: Actually I guess Brown scored more than most/all QBs?

I assumed you would realize I meant by their relative position. I only draft the highest scoring running backs, wide receivers and tight ends with my top picks. Sometimes they forget they are supposed to be the best players at their position that year.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

Woodhead gonna overshadow Gordon all year unless that lunchpail grit machine gets hurt.

This. I was never high on Gordon coming out (but that's probably just me), but everything I've heard indicates that he's had trouble with his blocking and pick-ups. I have a feeling Woodhead is going to take a strangle hold on passing down situations and if Gordon even falters a bit in early down work, I could see Woodhead working his way into a timeshare.

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!
Guys I need some keeper advice. I'm most likely picking last in my 14-team league and have to choose 1 of the following:

Adrian Peterson
Eddie Lacy
Demarius Thomas
Antonio Brown

I'm leaning towards AP.

Yes I won this league last year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I say Lacy.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Is it PPR?

0PPR: Lacy > AP > Brown > DT

0.5PPR: Lacy = Brown > AP > DT

1PPR: Brown > Lacy > AP > DT

e: Lacy is young so keeping him gives you a young RB keeper for future drafts, too. A RB supported by A. A. Ron Rodgers throwing behind him.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

TommyGun85 posted:

IIRC last year was notable in how many of the projected top 10 RB's actually performed at that level and how many of the projected top 10 WRs were a disappointment. At the end of the day, RB is just a less durable position. It makes sense if you think about it when it comes to how those positions work. WR is always a committee and a top 5 WR does not necessarily lose their top 5 WR status because a new WR on their team does well - DT's numbers did not disappoint because Sanders had a huge year. A top 5 RB on the other hand basically needs to be the bellcow/sole RB to retain his top 5 RB status. If the Chiefs start making Charles do a 50/50 split with Kniles Davis (and who could blame them after watching Davis), then he probably struggles to be top 10. But if Martavius Bryant beasts out for 1100 yards and 10 TDs, Antonio Browns numbers should still be elite.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's nothing wrong with that, and in fact determining player reliability is one of the reasons I added the historical column (1/2/P). For example last year in a 12 team half PPR league Antonio Brown produced starter level (WR2 or better) points in 14 of his 15 games. That's pretty drat impressive. The only other players who did that were Leveon Bell (15 games), DeMarco Murray, Gronk, and Andrew Luck. If you're talking about elite numbers (RB1, WR1, or top half of QB/TE) then the only players who put up double digit elite games last year were Matt Forte, DeMarco Murray, Arian Foster, Andrew Luck, and Antonio Brown.

I consider BeerSheets to be a guide. There will be players I don't like that I won't draft unless it's a round or two later, and there will be players I will absolutely reach on. In the end it's about your team and how happy you are with it.

Yo Beer, your dropbox account got locked due to too much traffic.

This is very distressing since my draft is tomorrow. :ohdear:

e: Of course it works immediately after I post.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

old dog child posted:

Is it PPR?

0PPR: Lacy > AP > Brown > DT

0.5PPR: Lacy = Brown > AP > DT

1PPR: Brown > Lacy > AP > DT

e: Lacy is young so keeping him gives you a young RB keeper for future drafts, too. A RB supported by A. A. Ron Rodgers throwing behind him.

Peterson is going to catch a ton of passes (for Peterson) this year so I don't know why he gets downgraded as PPR goes up. In fact if you're picking last in a 14-teamer, I think Peterson beats those other four hands down regardless of scoring. You go Peterson and best WR available at the turn and don't look back.

e: His career high is 43, and he's cracked 40 twice. He's only had 50+ targets three times in his career and they've been focusing on (and he's looked good at) getting him the ball in space out of the backfield. Bridgewater will take a step forward and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Peterson sniff 60 catches.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 15, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Peterson is going to catch a ton of passes (for Peterson) this year so I don't know why he gets downgraded as PPR goes up. In fact if you're picking last in a 14-teamer, I think Peterson beats those other four hands down regardless of scoring. You go Peterson and best WR available at the turn and don't look back.

Lacy is young, Peterson is old. AB is young, Peterson is still old. It's not that I downgraded Peterson, it's that I promoted AB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Peterson is a 7-year professional football player who's three years older than me and in terms of body age and milage is probably 10 years younger. Dude is a freak and basically spent the last year in cryo-stasis. I'd be taking him easily and then be looking for a better long-term keeper later in the draft.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 15, 2015

• Locked thread