Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
That helmet is loving awesome though. I'd have a shelf in the living room just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

umalt posted:

Weird, that's in like an uncanny valley of cosplay. It looks good, but something about it seems off.

Yeah. Maybe the codpiece is too bulbous? Or the lower legs need to be longer? Could be anything, really.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

Yeah. Maybe the codpiece is too bulbous? Or the lower legs need to be longer? Could be anything, really.

I think it's too glossy

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Rurea posted:

I think it's too glossy

Lots of things could set off our fickle brains! The important thing is that it's neat and good.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I would have tried to get the chestpiece a little smaller, if possible. Great cosplay, though.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

There was a little kid one from the start of the thread that was really well done- and doesn't give off the uncanny valley vibes this one has. I think it's a combination of glossy and just slightly off proportions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's the legs. They're too short so it breaks your brain.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

VendaGoat posted:

People like stuff, so what?

No, but you don't understand. People are liking things that I dont like!
:goonsay:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Tell them they are literally worse than Hitler, that should convince them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's not that people like stuff it's that it's stuff you don't see the appeal of and would like someone who enjoys it to chime in on why people like it.

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

RareAcumen posted:

It's not that people like stuff it's that it's stuff you don't see the appeal of and would like someone who enjoys it to chime in on why people like it.

I mean, they're games with a lot of characters that have very different aesthetics, so it's easy for anyone to find something unique looking that they like. That's pretty much as perfect as it gets for cosplay material. There's not really more to explain.

Just so I'm not just continuing a derail, I love this picture of Yaya and am thinking of doing something similar.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yaya Han comes up a lot in cosplay threads but doesn't she have extremely strict rules for her to show up/appear because after a point she got crazy mobbed by creeps groping her and poo poo that she eventually said "gently caress it" and mandated a really specific set of rules and requirements for her appearances?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

pentyne posted:

Yaya Han comes up a lot in cosplay threads but doesn't she have extremely strict rules for her to show up/appear because after a point she got crazy mobbed by creeps groping her and poo poo that she eventually said "gently caress it" and mandated a really specific set of rules and requirements for her appearances?

You're thinking of Avril

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

As long as it's done in good faith, I don't see what's wrong with this? We are on SomethingAwfulDotComLLC though, so good faith is hard to come by.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

umalt posted:

Weird, that's in like an uncanny valley of cosplay. It looks good, but something about it seems off.

It's the bunched tights I think. Those are really hard to get "super tight" but not "oh my god I can't breathe". In my experience.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Tight clothes are going to have wrinkles in them, which destroy the metallic look. Putting a stretched fabric over a thinner version of the same substance his armor is made of would go a long way.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Nobody here has actually said or implied that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, this was my intention with the question, not "wah wah! I don't like it, so you're dumb because you do!" Like, it's gotten where something like 2/3rds of the costumes I see in this thread anymore come from those games, and people point to artwork and promotional videos for reference, which often feel, to me, to not really even represent the gameplay accurately. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I'm just surprised that there's such a rabid fanbase for something that doesn't like, branch itself out into more story-driven tie-ins.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
:eyepop:

That costume must ride up like hell though.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Klaus88 posted:

:eyepop:

That costume must ride up like hell though.

It's perfectly possible to find a costume that fits, yaknow. Upriding doesn't always have to be an issue.

I like the hair.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I think a good comparison is to Team Fortress 2. The characters only have a paragraph of history and the game has no real story. But there's they're well designed and voice acted. They have distinct voices and they change what they say depending on what other characters are around. It gives them a lot more depth than you might expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tswv55Vg86Y

Same thing is in DOTA. There's 100 characters but they have a huge collection of dialogue. Every character has a bunch of lines when they are teamed up with a friend or when they kill a character they have a history with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tgGHuE1_3E.

The real reason is the DOTA is huge on custom items. Every character has a bunch of alternate costumes so there's 3 or 4 cosplay options for each of them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think a good comparison is to Team Fortress 2. The characters only have a paragraph of history and the game has no real story. But there's they're well designed and voice acted. They have distinct voices and they change what they say depending on what other characters are around. It gives them a lot more depth than you might expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tswv55Vg86Y

Same thing is in DOTA. There's 100 characters but they have a huge collection of dialogue. Every character has a bunch of lines when they are teamed up with a friend or when they kill a character they have a history with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tgGHuE1_3E.

The real reason is the DOTA is huge on custom items. Every character has a bunch of alternate costumes so there's 3 or 4 cosplay options for each of them.

TF2 has comics and little animated videos of all the classes talking with each other while murdering each other though so it doesn't really work out too well as a comparison. And worst of all, the game has a story but it's all in the comics [that're at least all free]

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

TF2 has comics and little animated videos of all the classes talking with each other while murdering each other though so it doesn't really work out too well as a comparison. And worst of all, the game has a story but it's all in the comics [that're at least all free]

It has comics!?!?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RareAcumen posted:

TF2 has comics and little animated videos of all the classes talking with each other while murdering each other though so it doesn't really work out too well.

Dota has had tie in comics as well. Also the "Meet the X" videos were incredibly barebones early on in its life but people still enjoyed the personality of all the classes in TF2. This is because Valve goes through the effort to write a lot of lines and find good voice actors for them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BattleCattle posted:

It has comics!?!?

I don't know if you're just loving with me or not but Yes

And videos!

Internet Kraken posted:

Dota has had tie in comics as well. Also the "Meet the X" videos were incredibly barebones early on in its life but people still enjoyed the personality of all the classes in TF2. This is because Valve goes through the effort to write a lot of lines and find good voice actors for them.

I honestly had no idea Dota had comics too. And the first two "Meet the X" videos were Heavy and Soldier, which told us that the latter of which is insane and talks to collected severed heads of the enemy team! Heavy's a lot more sane since his big quirk was "Named his minigun [Sasha]" and also "Doesn't like when people touch his minigun"

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Aug 15, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RareAcumen posted:

I honestly had no idea Dota had comics too. And the first two "Meet the X" videos were Heavy and Soldier, which told us that the latter of which is insane and talks to collected severed heads of the enemy team! Heavy's a lot more sane since his big quirk was "Named his minigun [Sasha]" and also "Doesn't like when people touch his minigun"

Yeah they gave us insight into their personality, but there was basically no interaction between the classes beyond shooting each other. The dynamic of the team only came together in later videos.

Anyways, I think Dota conveys the personality of its heroes extremely well. If you named a Dota hero I could probably name their personality based on their voice lines. I don't remember all the ~lore~ surrounding each one but their voice acting is, for the most part, extremely good. Regardless, I don't think this is that relevant to cosplay honestly. People cosplay as stuff with little to literally no personality. I think it depends more on what kind of attachment you have to the material too make you want to cosplay as it.

Too make this more thread relevant, at TI5 Valve held an allstars match where they invited audience members down to the stage too play the game. One of the guys that got called down was in full cosplay of the hero Pudge. That already was ridiculous, but then it turns out the cosplayer was actually a very popular pro player, so people went nuts; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JtPyEA_o-4

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

TF2 has the best character backgrounds in any non-story game and I will hear no argument against this :colbert:

(I stopped playing TF2 a long while ago but still follow the thing for the comics and stories)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
From Facebook

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, this was my intention with the question, not "wah wah! I don't like it, so you're dumb because you do!" Like, it's gotten where something like 2/3rds of the costumes I see in this thread anymore come from those games, and people point to artwork and promotional videos for reference, which often feel, to me, to not really even represent the gameplay accurately. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, I'm just surprised that there's such a rabid fanbase for something that doesn't like, branch itself out into more story-driven tie-ins.

I would say though, at this point cosplay is basically its own subculture. I think a lot of people cosplay from LoL because there are like 5,000 outfit choices that are fun and recognizable. I imagine many of these people barely play LoL. I myself spend too much time working on cosplay to be really devoted to any MMOs or MOBAs, honestly, I just finished an Arthas cosplay but like I'm a Warcraft 3 fan and the WoW recognition is just incidental for me, I do not have the free time to support an MMO habit. For LoL there is an enormous preexisting community of players and a zillion characters with cool skins so if you cosplay from it you can easily find something that suits your body type/skills and people will be excited about it. You don't really need to dig any deeper than that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

umalt posted:

It's not being worn by a middle-aged war photographer, for one.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

It's not being worn by a middle-aged war photographer, for one.

:what:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

A dead rising joke.

...I think.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

BattleCattle posted:

A dead rising joke.

...I think.

Pretty good job, really.

Pesterchum has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Aug 15, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

McPantserton posted:

I would say though, at this point cosplay is basically its own subculture. I think a lot of people cosplay from LoL because there are like 5,000 outfit choices that are fun and recognizable. I imagine many of these people barely play LoL. I myself spend too much time working on cosplay to be really devoted to any MMOs or MOBAs, honestly, I just finished an Arthas cosplay but like I'm a Warcraft 3 fan and the WoW recognition is just incidental for me, I do not have the free time to support an MMO habit. For LoL there is an enormous preexisting community of players and a zillion characters with cool skins so if you cosplay from it you can easily find something that suits your body type/skills and people will be excited about it. You don't really need to dig any deeper than that.

I sincerely doubt most of the people devoted to MMOs or MOBAs have the social or practical skills to cosplay.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Callie and Marie from Splatoon. Marie there really needs to learn how to look smug.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Klaus88 posted:

I sincerely doubt most of the people devoted to MMOs or MOBAs have the social or practical skills to cosplay.

On an average day .40% of the entire worlds population plays a game of League. That doesn't sound like much, but it means that more people play that videogame in a day than live in Texas. It's a staggering amount of people and it really shouldn't shock anyone that it's an extremely popular cosplay subject.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Klaus88 posted:

Fake Geek Girls, amiright?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Klaus88 posted:

Mm-hmm. I, too, doubt that there's a cross-section between cosplayers and one of the most popular forms of media in the world right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

On an average day .40% of the entire worlds population plays a game of League. That doesn't sound like much, but it means that more people play that videogame in a day than live in Texas. It's a staggering amount of people and it really shouldn't shock anyone that it's an extremely popular cosplay subject.

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Fake Geek Girls, amiright?

Vanderdeath posted:

Mm-hmm. I, too, doubt that there's a cross-section between cosplayers and one of the most popular forms of media in the world right now.

:psyduck:

Well poo poo I'm sincerely sorry if I offended anyone here, I guess I had an obsolete image of MOBA players stuck in my head. I also sincerely didn't mean to imply the "no true nerd girls" thing, since it is stupid and this thread definately proves it's wrong.

:qqsay: I just want to look at the neat costumes you guys/gals!

• Locked thread