Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

WobblySausage posted:

They were saved from concussion related brain injuries

No they had that right as an athlete removed from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
I would not separate the NCAA and NFL. We've had a nice mixture as it is of winners from both sides of the fence, and the distinction between them is no different than the perennial other split debates that come up in this thing of Douche vs. Evil or Single Man vs. Organization or ESPN Commentators vs. Humans. The debate between college and pro will continue to happen as it comes up, and indeed will happen more often if we continue to mix the candidates throughout the tournament instead of saving it for the end.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Incoherence posted:

The occasional conflict between NCAA posters and NFL posters is half the fun of a final like the one we just had, though.

This. Since it's really NFL fans poopooing college ball.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
Okay, the consensus seems to be no split.

Next question on format: did you prefer the sort by seed from this year, or did you prefer seeded categories (players, admin, media, wildcard) from the last two years?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ben Has Tiny Weenus posted:

Okay, the consensus seems to be no split.

Next question on format: did you prefer the sort by seed from this year, or did you prefer seeded categories (players, admin, media, wildcard) from the last two years?

I think it should be a year by year thing. Like see who the nominees are and make the bracket accordingly. For instance, this year a split NFL/NCAA douche off would have been good. You had multiple strong contenders in each category, and it sucks that sometimes the matchup comes down to "I don't care about college football, so its opponent by default". However next year there might only be one or two good nominees from college. Same thing with brackets of admins, media, players, etc. I think its best to see how the nominees shake out and go from there.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Categories though I'll admit that Millitree's baller bracket graphics really made that work best

Also I'm in favor of pro/college split if that ship hasn't fully sailed

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Neil Armbong posted:

This. Since it's really NFL fans poopooing college ball.
Counterpoint Hot Take: Or maybe it's just the super sensitive thin skinned insecure NCAA crowd feeling threatened. :v:

(just trying to keep my arguing-gland warm in this now freshly started Douch-of-the-Year Offseason)

No Safe Word posted:

Categories though I'll admit that Millitree's baller bracket graphics really made that work best

Yeah I kinda miss the pretty pretty princes Douche-bracket but don't mistake that as me still not being grateful for running the contest again, BHTWeenus :cheers: - If I can remember about this whole thing sooner next year I can do bracket graphics if no one steps up to the plate.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

swickles posted:

I think it should be a year by year thing. Like see who the nominees are and make the bracket accordingly. For instance, this year a split NFL/NCAA douche off would have been good. You had multiple strong contenders in each category, and it sucks that sometimes the matchup comes down to "I don't care about college football, so its opponent by default". However next year there might only be one or two good nominees from college. Same thing with brackets of admins, media, players, etc. I think its best to see how the nominees shake out and go from there.

I agree with this 100%.

Also while I voted Brady I can admit that a worthy douche was crowned.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

effectual posted:

I agree with this 100%.

Also while I voted Brady I can admit that a worthy douche was crowned.

Yeah that's actually not a bad idea. Maximize the integrity of the tournament that way.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Ya I was pro Brady but Paul is a good douche.

There's a good split between pro and college winners. My only problem is with these douche groups. I feel like one specific douche should represent the group, as Paul did with the BoT.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I think I bring this up every time, but:

1) We need concrete examples of douche vs evil.
2) We need people to stick to the 12 month statute of limitations, so when names are submitted we can cross check what is germane.
3) We need to establish whether actions taken over a year ago count if something happened this year building off of it (eg Winston posting that crab legs photo allows us to discuss him stealing them a priori).
4) I want someone to convince me that Roethlisberger deserves to be the name of the trophy when he "only" forced himself on a woman. I feel like an NCAA player could attempt to kill a rival player and they wouldn't even win the bracket because some big name NFL player was a touch more smug.
5) I want someone to make me dinner at some point. That sounds lovely.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Zurreco posted:

2) We need people to stick to the 12 month statute of limitations, so when names are submitted we can cross check what is germane.
3) We need to establish whether actions taken over a year ago count if something happened this year building off of it (eg Winston posting that crab legs photo allows us to discuss him stealing them a priori).
4) I want someone to convince me that Roethlisberger deserves to be the name of the trophy when he "only" forced himself on a woman. I feel like an NCAA player could attempt to kill a rival player and they wouldn't even win the bracket because some big name NFL player was a touch more smug.

1) Tom Brady
2) Yep.
3) It goes to character, your honor.
4)

Duke Chin posted:

Well, I mean, I'm okay with calling it The Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr. Douche of the Year Award if you are...
5) Order a pizza, yo.

Edit: 5a) vvvv goddamnit now I want some of that :argh: vvv

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zurreco posted:

My town's weekly farmer's market has a vendor selling homemade pasta, and there's a pumpkin flavored linguine they have that is so good when combined with some sausage and a bit of pesto and red pepper marinara. 5 dollar meal I can cook in 10 minutes.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

effectual posted:

My town's weekly farmer's market has a vendor selling homemade pasta, and there's a pumpkin flavored linguine they have that is so good when combined with some sausage and a bit of pesto and red pepper marinara. 5 dollar meal I can cook in 10 minutes.

What town is that?

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

swickles posted:

I like this. I'll just play it by ear.

Zurreco posted:

1. It is pretty subjective. I have always gone with the litmus test of "Does this person deserve prison time or a swift kick to the balls?"
2. I usually try to include all of the relevant issues in the writeups. If someone heavily relies on non relevant reasoning in their multi point posts, I'll deduct.
3. Gotta play this by ear. The crab leg thing is relevant to this because serving crab legs at a draft party would be inconsequential on its own.
4. After season 8, I'll do a brief tournament of champions for naming rights...or I might do it before the next season and do a 4 douche tourney and just eliminate the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, the season two winner, because that was a dumbass champion.
5. Find yourself a girl on tinder to do it for you.

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah I kinda miss the pretty pretty princes Douche-bracket but don't mistake that as me still not being grateful for running the contest again, BHTWeenus :cheers: - If I can remember about this whole thing sooner next year I can do bracket graphics if no one steps up to the plate.

I'll try to remember you for this. Militree said he'd do it again, but he fell off the face of the earth. He said he had a massive workload, so I don't blame him.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zurreco posted:

What town is that?

A seattle suburb.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Zurreco posted:

What town is that?

Pike Place Market has(had?, its been about 2 years) a vendor selling all types of homemade pasta. My favorites were the spinach and the chocolate.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Mrit posted:

Pike Place Market has(had?, its been about 2 years) a vendor selling all types of homemade pasta. My favorites were the spinach and the chocolate.

Yeah, Pappardelle's is still there, and the jalapeno linguine is still great. He had said it was from a weekly farmer's market, though, and I haven't seen anyone selling homemade pastas at the ones that I've been to.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Zurreco posted:

Yeah, Pappardelle's is still there, and the jalapeno linguine is still great. He had said it was from a weekly farmer's market, though, and I haven't seen anyone selling homemade pastas at the ones that I've been to.

Oh you live round Seattle? Well it's the renton farmer's market, but my impression is that these vendors spend each day of the week at a different FM around the city since they all stagger their days (probably for this exact reason). The fairy bakery out of issiquah makes good pumpkin bread too, they show up to these markets as well.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I won't do that because we only have like 40 people voting per match in the early rounds, and that would dilute it further.

I could, however, break the bracket in half, NFL/NCAA and distribute the wildcards and the media to fill in the gaps, that way we can have an NFL champion and an NCAA champion who duke it out at the end for top douche.

God drat... it's glorious

The douche bracket just got conferences, baby!!!!!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I think groups should be excluded unless they're an official organization or something that people would identify themselves as being a part of. UAB Board of Trustees and Pats fans would be in and "Adrian Peterson defenders" and "Lynch Mob" would be out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cruel and Unusual posted:

I think groups should be excluded unless they're an official organization or something that people would identify themselves as being a part of. UAB Board of Trustees and Pats fans would be in and "Adrian Peterson defenders" and "Lynch Mob" would be out.

If this means I can't vote for Seattle fans again, then I'm against it.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Which one of you is $10 poorer lmfao

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
hahaha awesome

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

I see what you are saying, and I mostly agree. The reason I created the team up "Lynch Mob" for example is because they had all mostly done the same thing, and if they faced off the question would just be "Who said the douchier thing about the same guy for the same reason?" which is kind of dull. I'll avoid doing that in the future, and I think I will apply your rule that the only groups are official groups.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tom Brady posted:

If $10 means poo poo to you then go use reddit or some other free forum.:fuckoff:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

agreed with this, maybe we should have the worst individual from each "group" more or less represent the group. Like for the Lynch Mob it would be that Ed Sherman guy. Otherwise every year I'm just going to nominate "Football Fans" or "people" and you would all be wrong to vote otherwise

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Febreeze posted:

agreed with this, maybe we should have the worst individual from each "group" more or less represent the group. Like for the Lynch Mob it would be that Ed Sherman guy. Otherwise every year I'm just going to nominate "Football Fans" or "people" and you would all be wrong to vote otherwise

"goons" - the perennial powerhouse of the DotY :v:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Tom Brady posted:

Awww, boo - they should have used the version with the drawing Photoshopped on to the game day picture. :colbert:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Pats fans are warming up for next year's tourney by e-stalking that artist.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Tom Brady posted:

Wait, and no red text? You probably did it yourself then came in here to be all :smug:.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
So what would the the Lynch Mob need to be? NFL Writer's Association? Superbowl Press Media? Those seem too broad, but I also wouldn't want to miss the douchebaggery caused by all their tut-tutting.

Bizarro-Marshawn: he who only lives for plattitudes and is not at all bout that action, boss.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Duke Chin posted:

Wait, and no red text? You probably did it yourself then came in here to be all :smug:.

Lol whatever helps you sleep

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I see what you are saying, and I mostly agree. The reason I created the team up "Lynch Mob" for example is because they had all mostly done the same thing, and if they faced off the question would just be "Who said the douchier thing about the same guy for the same reason?" which is kind of dull. I'll avoid doing that in the future, and I think I will apply your rule that the only groups are official groups.

My only defense for Adrian Peterson Fans was that I had to hear weeks of people like Ditka and Keyshawn and other media members defend child abuse. So, saying NFL media, or ESPN talking heads is too broad but still we need to acknowledge the douchiness of defending child abuse/domestic abuse ect.

Also, you should keep the 2nd Circut because I love early champion weirdness.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

My only defense for Adrian Peterson Fans was that I had to hear weeks of people like Ditka and Keyshawn and other media members defend child abuse. So, saying NFL media, or ESPN talking heads is too broad but still we need to acknowledge the douchiness of defending child abuse/domestic abuse ect.

Also, you should keep the 2nd Circut because I love early champion weirdness.

AP defenders was a weak as hell entrant this year because no one ever cited specific examples so the write up was bare bones.

8th circuit court of appeals was a lovely champion because goons are incapable of separating their righteous rage towards a greater institution from a douchey act. Yes, Bush appointed judges are naturally going to be terrible, but that vote felt like it was raging against conservative politics in general, which while a good target, it's hardly the point of the tournament. It also kept out a highly deserving champion in Jim "I rig raffles to impress recruits" Tressel. It's why I am going to think long and hard about ever putting a police department in the tournament again.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

The only way police departments should be added is if some police department somewhere puts on a charity game where they stomp some peewee team into the ground.

But police unions acting as their own bad PR firm after Ferguson, that doesn't need to get added.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

maybe we should chill on the unenforceable rules and just have a fun contest with lots of goofy discourse

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007

Wall Balls posted:

maybe we should chill on the unenforceable rules and just have a fun contest with lots of goofy discourse

The rules being discussed are mostly stuff on my end as far as bracket arrangement, nominee grouping, and who I allow in. I would never do anything to jeopardize the goofyness of the tournament.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I kind of agree with the idea of not letting St. Louis PD in, even though it was clearly sports related. However, I think some agencies like TPD should be let in because they had a pattern of continually not investigating or giving special treatment to football players. Still, there offenses should be limited to that and not other douchey things they have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

swickles posted:

I kind of agree with the idea of not letting St. Louis PD in, even though it was clearly sports related. However, I think some agencies like TPD should be let in because they had a pattern of continually not investigating or giving special treatment to football players. Still, there offenses should be limited to that and not other douchey things they have done.

Yea I think if the outside group had an active hand in football poo poo like TPD very overtly choosing to give football players special treatment then that's valid, but SLPD, while huge douches, weren't really FOOTBALL douches, they were just kinda douches that happened to get mad at football men while getting mad at basically any other black person of profile who said 'yea maybe you guys hosed up'.

• Locked thread