Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Sigma X posted:

A car airbag for the front of my new car, it detects if a front-end collision is about to happen, pops off the bumper cover, and then deploys a giant airbag over the entire front to save the chassis.

What kind of car do you drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Fayez Butts posted:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fayez Butts posted:

The Interceptor V8 (aka Pursuit Special).

He's tired of it getting destroyed all the time. Although, to be fair it does mange to pop back up fully restored like some kind of Guzzoline-Jesus.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

New Shoes!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How sensitive is one of those?

I'm just picturing it turning a near accident into an actual one when it pops.

Or if a pedestrian steps in front of your car and you stop just in time.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

bought a handbag.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

flosofl posted:

Still using paper and ink like a Luddite, huh?

http://www.amazon.com/Adonit-Pixelpoint-pressure-sensitive-stylus/dp/B00KLEI6XI

And yes, that's also a recent purchase. It rocks.

Actually, I don't use pen and paper much anymore. Just for jotting down small quick math problems involved in my work.

I got one of these styluses for my iPad and I'm a huge fan. It has a soft metal mesh tip, which I find a million times easier to write with than any of the rubber-ish tips I've seen on everything else, which stick to the screen and make it difficult for me to write with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phthisis posted:

Actually, I don't use pen and paper much anymore. Just for jotting down small quick math problems involved in my work.

I got one of these at Costco recently: http://www.amazon.com/Boogie-Board-Inch-Writing-Tablet/dp/B005DEID5C

I'm always writing down things I only need temporarily, and then losing the notepads so I figure this will work better.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

subpar anachronism posted:

bought a handbag.

For... your... 12 year old?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bought a handbag.

This is adorable.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PCOS Bill posted:

For... your... 12 year old?

Sh.. shut up, BAKA. Don't you know I'm ~kawaii~?!

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I went on kind of a spending spree.

This denim kimono-shirt from Naked and Famous!

A set of these amazing hex keys because oh my god they're so beautiful!

A protector thing so I don't break my iLok again and have to put my work on hold until the stupid RMA gets done!

And a booking for my first-ever tattoo appointment! Dang!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Aphrodite posted:

How sensitive is one of those?

I'm just picturing it turning a near accident into an actual one when it pops.

Or if a pedestrian steps in front of your car and you stop just in time.

Unlike conventional airbags, it uses a small laser sensor (LIDAR) on the front of the car to detect objects about the size of a 10-year old and larger. It's hooked into some vehicle sensors (ABS sensor, yaw/skid sensor, speed sensor) and that goes into a microprocessor for some fancy figuring, which decides when to trigger the airbag.If I'm traveling under 18 MPH it will not activate, if I have sufficient space to stop before a collision it won't activate, and even when it does activate, it only activates 30 millisecond before the impact. To give you an idea, a vehicle traveling 80 MPH will be about 3.5 feet from the front bumper when the airbag deploys.

In your example, if I was going 25 MPH down a residential street and some idiot jogger jumped out from behind a car at me, the airbag wouldn't even START to decide to go off until about I was 13 inches away from him.

Is it foolproof? No, this is basically one of the first units available, and I'm sure there will be bugs. There's a warranty for accidental deployment which would cover the repair costs to my vehicle, and I think this really is the future of protection.

The Prong Song has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Aug 14, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do you commonly run over 10-year-old children, or are you just really paranoid?

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
i bought a house and my wife made a picture collage that i had to edit the picture of the house out of

it was a very good deal and we have a low payment and a great interest rate and we are both happy

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

RCarr posted:

Huh? No, it's just programmed that anything smaller than "about 10 year old child" is not worth deploying for; you wouldn't want it going off because you were about to hit a basketball, or a lazy pigeon.

As for why, like I said, I think it's the future of automotive safety. This is also my first new-from-factory car.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tell us your dark secrets Sigma this is a safe place.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This is comical coming from a person with a Mad Max avatar. :black101:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sigma X posted:

Unlike conventional airbags, it uses a small laser sensor (LIDAR) on the front of the car to detect objects about the size of a 10-year old and larger. It's hooked into some vehicle sensors (ABS sensor, yaw/skid sensor, speed sensor) and that goes into a microprocessor for some fancy figuring, which decides when to trigger the airbag.If I'm traveling under 18 MPH it will not activate, if I have sufficient space to stop before a collision it won't activate, and even when it does activate, it only activates 30 millisecond before the impact. To give you an idea, a vehicle traveling 80 MPH will be about 3.5 feet from the front bumper when the airbag deploys.

In your example, if I was going 25 MPH down a residential street and some idiot jogger jumped out from behind a car at me, the airbag wouldn't even START to decide to go off until about I was 13 inches away from him.

Is it foolproof? No, this is basically one of the first units available, and I'm sure there will be bugs. There's a warranty for accidental deployment which would cover the repair costs to my vehicle, and I think this really is the future of protection.

I didn't think of gating it by speed. That makes sense.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Look don't assume he wants to run over 10 year olds. Maybe he just wants to run over adults who are the size of 10 year olds. Maybe he hates jockeys.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

bought a handbag.

You utter piece of poo poo I just bought this because of you :3: gently caress me I'm so happy I'm angry. ITS CUTE AND SMILEY UGH.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

bought a handbag.

Can you tell me about this because the one review is pretty negative I am thinking about buying one for someone.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I finally got my motorcycle license after wanting one since I was like 15 (I'm almost 30) and I think I've hit full-blown midlife crisis mode.

I like the color brown a lot.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Good luck with the skin grafts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Digital_Jesus posted:

He's actually grafting on the skin in advance, a wise move.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Digital_Jesus posted:

No this will protect them very well I know this because I have never ridden a bike either

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

I'll consider looking like a cyborg when I'm past the "doing 30 around the suburbs" stage.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I'll consider looking like a cyborg when I'm past the "doing 30 around the suburbs" stage.

Welcome brother as a new rider I want to share the sage advice I was given at driver training school.

"There are two kinds of bikers; those who have wrecked and those who are going to."

Stick with that "30 around the neighborhood" mode for a good, long, while.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Getchaself a gixxah

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

NotAnArtist posted:

No this will protect them very well I know this because I have never ridden a bike either

Same bro. One day I'll ride a motorcycle.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Not enough to buy any browns that go together apparently. Also seconding the buy actual gear sentiment. I hope you at least have a full face helmet.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

For what it's worth, that jacket is 1.1mm leather (which I understand is a little lightweight for a jacket, but it's not strict fashion garbage thin) with CE level 2 shoulder, elbow and back armor, and the gloves are CE level 1. It's probably poo poo for highway riding but I'm nowhere near highway riding so I think it's fine for now.

VendaGoat posted:

Welcome brother as a new rider I want to share the sage advice I was given at driver training school.

"There are two kinds of bikers; those who have wrecked and those who are going to."

Stick with that "30 around the neighborhood" mode for a good, long, while.

Thanks! I definitely plan to. I took the MSF basic rider course and they were quick to deflate any vague sense of confidence anyone may have developed at any point during the course. I know I ride like a huge spaz currently and don't plan on being anywhere near real traffic or high speeds for a long time.

rockcity posted:

I hope you at least have a full face helmet.

Of course I do.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

If your only gear choices leave you looking like a cyborg then you kind of suck at picking gear.

For thread content, I just got this a bit ago.

e: To be helpful, I can't comment on the jacket but those gloves lack the sliders/hardparts/padding to do much for your hands in a fall.

Marxalot has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Aug 15, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Marxalot posted:

If your only gear choices leave you looking like a cyborg then you kind of suck at picking gear.

I think the Handroids are pretty cool.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

You should come post in CA now.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

I think the Handroids are pretty cool.

They're really nice once they're broken in, except the stitching in the palm came loose after about 1500 miles. Mine are in under warranty repair which was painless.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

I finally got my motorcycle license after wanting one since I was like 15 (I'm almost 30) and I think I've hit full-blown midlife crisis mode.

As someone who rides and has wrecked hard, god I hope you don't fall. furthermore, that outfit would look ridic. Get some real gear..

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Late on the pen & paper chat, but two of these:

Mmm, buttery.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

As someone who rides and has wrecked hard, god I hope you don't fall. furthermore, that outfit would look ridic. Get some real gear..

On the plus side, he's halfway towards a bitchin' Rockateer costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

For what it's worth, that jacket is 1.1mm leather (which I understand is a little lightweight for a jacket, but it's not strict fashion garbage thin) with CE level 2 shoulder, elbow and back armor, and the gloves are CE level 1. It's probably poo poo for highway riding but I'm nowhere near highway riding so I think it's fine for now.

Thanks! I definitely plan to. I took the MSF basic rider course and they were quick to deflate any vague sense of confidence anyone may have developed at any point during the course. I know I ride like a huge spaz currently and don't plan on being anywhere near real traffic or high speeds for a long time.

Of course I do.

At least it's more padded than it looks. I wouldn't have guessed it had elbow armor based on those sleeves. Good on you for the full helmet. Most people in that style of gear would have some awful half bubble helmet or something.