Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Collateral Damage posted:

Or just firewall it. My home firewall is set to allow all outbound but I might have to change that if I start using Win10.
Yeah I'm really not wild about it myself, but I also find us all to be a little hypocritical. We're all probably better off not knowing the 23 million sites our cell phones are calling home to, and we're all just blasting through our day, la de da. But I am very wary about my computer communicating with anything and would like it as locked down as feasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Or just firewall it. My home firewall is set to allow all outbound but I might have to change that if I start using Win10.

Sounds like it is going out on port 443, at least, which you probably don't want to firewall, so how would you do this?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You'd obviously block the specific addresses it's trying to communicate with, not everything on the HTTPS port.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

So back to whack-a-mole

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Spent an hour on a call with a dude today who was absolutely aghast at the idea that rebooting your server while it's doing something interrupts that thing. Database indexing jobs, backups, all sorts of stuff was breaking because the guy scheduled a reboot to happen every night shortly after he scheduled other things to start doing things.

I weep.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ConfusedUs posted:

Spent an hour on a call with a dude today who was absolutely aghast at the idea that rebooting your server while it's doing something interrupts that thing. Database indexing jobs, backups, all sorts of stuff was breaking because the guy scheduled a reboot to happen every night shortly after he scheduled other things to start doing things.

I weep.

The same guy probably turns off his engine on downhills to "save gas" and then wonders why his power steering is poo poo.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
lol at my director who has 4 sys admins under him - 2 of which he had up until 3am last night, 1 of which is on call so who knows how much poo poo he's dealing with, and 1 of which worked every waking hour from mid day Tuesday to mid day Thursday - and is upset that no sys admins are in the office at 8am. Better call that wahmbulance, buddy!

e: I love passive aggressive poo poo.

Director (all paraphrased and shortened): We have no sys admins here to do a thing, what can we do?
Sys admin reply: The way to do that is X, I'll be in shortly
Director: Unfortunately no sys admins are here, how can we resolve this?

Either you're asking how to do the thing you were just told how to do, or you're asking how to transport people from one place to another in which case, I don't know, a car?

e2: I am not going to post it because it's really hard to encapsulate the doucheyness, but the manner in which he just disciplined his team in front of other teams, I really can't express to you how much of a dick he looks like.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 14, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ynglaur posted:

The same guy probably turns off his engine on downhills to "save gas" and then wonders why his power steering is poo poo.

He totally got pissy and said something like

"You mean now I can't reboot for updates and stuff? This is the worst product I've ever used!"

No, dude. It means that like every sysadmin in the world, you need maintenance windows for that poo poo.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

This comes back to the same question. Why is it happening at all? Especially with GP disabling it? What else are they going to do in whatever situations Ars didn't test?

Having simple checkboxes (or GP for whatever stuff they want to gate into pro/enterprise editions) that actually work, and having a checkbox for every "phone home" option is what we should be asking for, not "I guess I'll just keep track of what URLs they're hitting and block them".

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I'm really not wild about it myself, but I also find us all to be a little hypocritical. We're all probably better off not knowing the 23 million sites our cell phones are calling home to, and we're all just blasting through our day, la de da. But I am very wary about my computer communicating with anything and would like it as locked down as feasible.

Apple and Google are both pretty good about telling you what permissions you're allowing apps. Facebook's app requests every possible permission, I think. And I'm sure every "free" app is collecting tons of info. But a stock Android/iOS install gives you easy options for "don't collect my data, don't improve my searches, don't even send anonymized usage data to the mothership". What you do after that is up to you.

I only think it's stupid because it's the operating system and not some app users chose to install. You can't avoid this. And especially because it ignores administrator's settings. And because it's a loss of face for Microsoft when they're been a much better company lately, and they could have made all of this go away in 2 days with an update that gives you the right knobs to turn instead of letting every website on the internet discuss their invasive data collection.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
And to put some icing on the Time Warner tech's poo poo-cake all three Time Warner cable TV boxes no longer work. FFFFFfffff. :argh:

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

And to put some icing on the Time Warner tech's poo poo-cake all three Time Warner cable TV boxes no longer work. FFFFFfffff. :argh:

He liked your chair. Now he gets to sit in it again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That was the Xerox tech that smelled like a goddamn canal. Turns out that he's going to be unavailable next week to work on the printer so the other guy will come instead.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

why is it redirecting to 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1?
0.0.0.0 instead of localhost makes it time out faster :downs:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Any of y'all live in/near boston Cambridge, really Near Harvard Square/Cambridge Commons? Need some recommendations of good places to eat, as i'm going to be in town next week (thurs the 10th to 17th)

Anything that isn't loving mexican food (as i am drowning in that poo poo down here in Texas)

Also, in other news, they are kicking the idiot vp at ${JOB}-1 to the curb. And apparently everyone else left in my department. My old team lead was also let go today.

So glad to be gone from that place.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 14, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nitrogen posted:

Any of y'all live in/near boston? Need some recommendations of good places to eat, as i'm going to be in town next week (thurs the 10th to 17th)

http://www.mrbartley.com/ has good burgers.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nitrogen posted:

Any of y'all live in/near boston? Need some recommendations of good places to eat, as i'm going to be in town next week (thurs the 10th to 17th)

Most of my recommendations are going to be Cambridge and/or outskirty. Around where in Boston are you gonna be? (Because getting across town during lunch hour is a pain)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Hotel is going to be right outside of cambridge commons park, i'll be working actually in Watertown during the day. I'll have a car, so I can inch through traffic when necessary.

Mr. Bartley's is right near Harvard square, and like half a mile from where i'll be. I saw it last time I was there. I'll definitely check it out.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

0.0.0.0 instead of localhost makes it time out faster :downs:

Is this actually true?

Or am I falling victim to Poe's Law and my own lack of network knowledge?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Sometimes my part-time gig brings out the madness in me in a way my primary job can't ever hope to.

I act as the Senior Systems Engineer for a small Church that is rapidly trying to expand. Somehow one of the Pastors let someone know that we were looking into buying a VNX. Insanity soon followed via an e-mail to my boss:

quote:

For me to be of assistance in a manner and attitude of stewardship to honor the Lord and His body; it would be good to know the following with the 3rd question being of utmost importance. Here they are:

1. What are the current known storage capacity needs in terms of space you project needing (to be clear usable space - not what some vendor says you require from their perspective - or how their system provides space - again how much space does <company> requires , and input/output (i/o - that is do you know the IOPS rate ) performance needs? The IOPS rate could be expressed in terms of projected people visiting and using the site.

2. Do you need replication (Disaster Recovery or High Availability) of any sort? if so please describe, especially if a 2nd site is planned away from primary source of SAN infrastructure I am supposing is at <company>.

3. Is TCO (total cost of ownership) important? By this I mean the following:

A. Initial Purchase Price - The first-order cost of any storage array is the actual cost of acquisition—obviously an important metric to consider when purchasing storage equipment.
These include but are not limited to the basic costs below:

1. Initial Installation Set-up Costs
2. Hardware Costs
3. System Software licensing Costs
4. System Servicing Agreements
5. Can the system support Fiber Channel AND iSCSI in 1 solution: A big hidden cost

B. Secondary Costs: The next concept to consider is the cost to install and operate something for a defined period of time. Items that fall into this cost category include:
Direct and Indirect energy consumption (power for storage and HVAC)
Real estate costs (rack and floor space)
Administrative expense (Full-time employees/TB of storage)
Failure-event costs (material, man-hours)
Warranty costs
Maintenance costs
c. The last order of costs or 3rd level of costs that are consequential expenses, and that one should assess when integrating a new storage array into an existing physical environment like at <company>. Items that fall into this category include:

Real estate
Automation integration
Dedicated high capacity power feeds
Other infrastructure that must be in place to implement new solutions
Personnel training
If you can take time to answer these questions then Les can help point the way to a solution set that will be 40 - 60% lower than typically considered over the life cycle.

I relied on the Lord to show me how to develop a lowest Total Operating Cost model of costs for SAN infrastructure.

Companies typically can get one to look at the upfront costs and then one finds themselves 3 years down the road needing to upgrade and then the costs can be shocking.

I mention this because we are all praying millions will be affected by the <company> content and live streaming events. This is why the above questions were asked.

Once I know these then I can suggest and get the people that are willing to understand what you are creating to deliver a system that will do the following:

1. Outperform what is in the marketplace in terms of system performance and system total costs.
2. Make running the system a minimum of effort, and the larger you scale the system the faster it will run. CNN. MSNBC, ABC, CBS. NBC, Bloomberg News are all in the process of upgrading their infrastructures to meet the demands of generation Y and the need for speed today as no one tolerates long waits for their data.

Lastly, a suggestion would be to consider procuring switching equipment from an Israeli based company. This will do two things, one bless the chosen people of the Lord and secondly the technology is actually at a better price/performance point than the regular choices (CISCO/Brocade). I mention this due to what I know of how this system will be used.
Mellanox is a price/performance leader and few know it but Beersheba is fast becoming the world's leading IT Center.

In less than 4 years the US will become dependent on Israeli technology. Especially in IT and more so in health care.

Once I know the answers from Ken I can be of best assistance for the body of Christ at <company> and those participating around the globe. As mentioned previously, I know what it is to face opposition to new ideas and was subjected to over 3,800 people that initially objected to the use of SANs in their environment.

This led me to seek the Lord for wisdom to develop questions such as the ones above to end up with a design that was lowest possible cost at the highest performance levels.

Les had to endure the IRS being sent to his house over professional jealousy in my work to utilize this equipment.

But the Lord knows all things and He saw it good to allow the work Les helped to be developed to be recognized by Computerworld and Network World. The Lord is Sovereign over all things.

I look forward to seeing your answers and then I can get people in touch anytime (I know the technology thought leaders in the industry at various companies) you desire, either later today or this weekend as it appears you are under a short event horizon to get this done. The people can be there at <company> early next week, Monday or when you desire.

Data is speeding up everywhere. This is the key is to understand the hyper scale data storm <company> is creating.

In closing thank you for the opportunity to assist you and the team at <company>. I just desire to be a blessing to all, yes even in the area of SANs.

v/r

Les

Leave messages as I may be not near phones if you desire to call

Psalm 34:1

Note the use of third person.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am having an argument as to whether we're running a UCS or a C7000 in a particular environment.

Okay let's set aside the fact that I built the environment. You ever seen that Louis CK bit about arguing with his kid over Pig Newtons? "I'm not even using my memory right now, I'm looking at the loving box" - this is my life.

edit for some reference, this is essentially the argument I am having
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20KpRp9XnJA
3:18

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 14, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
What the unholy gently caress

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

Is this actually true?

Or am I falling victim to Poe's Law and my own lack of network knowledge?
It sounds too crazy to be true, and even if it were, the difference would be extremely negligible

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am having an argument as to whether we're running a UCS or a C7000 in a particular environment.

Okay let's set aside the fact that I built the environment. You ever seen that Louis CK bit about arguing with his kid over Pig Newtons? "I'm not even using my memory right now, I'm looking at the loving box" - this is my life.

edit for some reference, this is essentially the argument I am having
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20KpRp9XnJA
3:18

Easy. If it was UCS it'd be broken. If it's up and running, it must be a C7K.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
poo poo pissing me off:

WINDOWS

loving

Yeah, my computer just got the goddamn reboot bug. Apparently it didn't decide to download the fixed version of the update, and went with the old version.

I'm currently in safe mode, trying to get the most recent version of the patch, but nope, Windows Update just wants to sit there with its goddamn loving thumb up its rear end and do gently caress all.

And I have no restore points because I'm goddamn retarded.

And before anyone asks, there are no corrupted profiles in the list. There are only 4: 3 system, and mine.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention how loving hard it is to get into safemode on this version

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

After enabling AD password expiration, complexity and lockout my boss and the CEO keep locking themselves out. Not just that, they're acting like this is some whole new system. It's not a system, it's just that for the first time in seven goddamn years you have a new password. That's all. Just a password. One password, that you chose for yourselves.

I changed my GPO to try and temporarily disable lockout but this evening the CEO did it again. Not sure how that's still happening because I can't see any other objects affecting lockout.

Anyway... I knew it would probably be a password bloodbath but didn't think these two would be responsible for it all by themselves.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Migishu posted:

Not to mention how loving hard it is to get into safemode on this version

Not any worse than windows 8

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

Not any worse than windows 8

At least Win8 didnt require me to fix a hosed up patch, one which I cant fix, and now need to reinstall Win8 to fix

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

why is it redirecting to 0.0.0.0 instead of 127.0.0.1?

and why is it trying to redirect ports using the hosts file?

It seems like reddit is spreading a stupid and useless file around :ohdear:

0.0.0.0 is redirects to all local-machine ip interfaces. It's perfectly valid and the usual method for null routing hosts.

I did look up whether you can use ports in HOSTS. You can't that's an invalid entry.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's probably just a copy/paste error ffs

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
I'm sorry I just wanted to be helpful :ohdear:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dick Trauma posted:

After enabling AD password expiration, complexity and lockout my boss and the CEO keep locking themselves out. Not just that, they're acting like this is some whole new system. It's not a system, it's just that for the first time in seven goddamn years you have a new password. That's all. Just a password. One password, that you chose for yourselves.

I changed my GPO to try and temporarily disable lockout but this evening the CEO did it again. Not sure how that's still happening because I can't see any other objects affecting lockout.

Anyway... I knew it would probably be a password bloodbath but didn't think these two would be responsible for it all by themselves.

Is it possible to get some RSA tokens or something for them? Give them like 5 for them to stash all over the place and then let them set their password to "puppies" or something.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress does Microsoft's media creation tool ONLY let you download the type of OS generation you currently have?

My x64 backup of the install for Win8 went awol, so I had to download it on my tablet... Which is x86

I only found out after installing it that the MCT created the x86 boot disk and there's no way to loving download the x64 version without going to dodgy sites. I'm currently using my work laptop to download it, and I'll be drat near lucky if ITSec don't message me on Monday asking why I was using unencrypted USB devices on our machines.

I'm sorry, I know this is a personal home issue, but this is something really pissing me off.

For fucks sake Microsoft, this is the stupidest poo poo. Get your shut together ffs.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Migishu posted:

For fucks sake Microsoft, this is the stupidest poo poo. Get your shut together ffs.

But think of how many people who are too stupid or busy to know the difference who AREN'T hosed by a version change like that?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
poo poo pissing me off... that I should know better about.

It appears that our particular instance of Ultipro will randomly decide that no, I didn't punch in/out and will instead put a blank entry into payroll for the day. So far I appear to have 4 instances of punching in without ever punching out or just punching in for my lunch break and taking the rest of the day off. These are punches that I verified entered into the system using the attendance module.

Kjata
Jan 16, 2006
Server guys changing hardware during the day without logging a Change Request or Service Request which caused a prolonged outage of the SAP ERP Production system, 6 hours to identify issue, 8 hours of trying to recover/restore, then 8 hours carrying out data integrity checks before it was operational again.

Two days prior management had released a statement that the ERP was under review, comments like it not being fit for purpose, slow and expensive, so are looking to outsource what it does into 5 other products for each module (they don't understand what an ERP is and never utilised it).

That outage is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for the system and my job, thanks server guys for being dicks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Government customers with stupid security policies.

Was working on upgrading the system image on a HA pair of unclassified ASAs for a DoD customer. The internal and external interfaces connect to a set of switches that are managed by the installation's own NETOPS team. Apparently they had some kind of anti-tampering or anti-ARP-spoofing enabled on the switches, because as soon as we failed them over the switchports locked down. Cue 3 hours of us waiting for them to call IA to "determine if there had been tampering." Keep in mind these are in a room with secured and controlled access.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

psydude posted:

Government customers with stupid security policies.

Was working on upgrading the system image on a HA pair of unclassified ASAs for a DoD customer. The internal and external interfaces connect to a set of switches that are managed by the installation's own NETOPS team. Apparently they had some kind of anti-tampering or anti-ARP-spoofing enabled on the switches, because as soon as we failed them over the switchports locked down. Cue 3 hours of us waiting for them to call IA to "determine if there had been tampering." Keep in mind these are in a room with secured and controlled access.

I think everyone that has worked in that space can get behind a hearty "gently caress DISA. gently caress DIACAP."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pikachu posted:

I'm sorry I just wanted to be helpful :ohdear:

It's helpful, it just needs a little tweaking to work right :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you configure a bunch of remote access services to connect to an endpoint using an IP address instead of a DNS name then you are officially Hitler.