Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
It is critical that we remember the real victims of the Holocaust: the Soviets.

Claiming that the Holocaust was about Jews is Zionism. Biden is doing it to provide cover to Israel!

ruby idiot railed posted:

Somebody's already talked about the WiFi thing (I'm not sure the attribution to the problem is correct, however) but here's the Video app thing:

If you stream movies and TV shows off of it instead of download, it takes up an immense amount of cached space. Theoretically ios is supposed to manage that for you, but Videos app will absolutely tell you that it's out of space and can't stream anymore, and it all shows up under "Other" and is otherwise not removable without completely wiping and restoring the device.

This issue has been there for at least the last 4 major versions of ios.

Ah, that makes sense. I've never seen it, but I've got a ton of storage that I don't use.

Tunga posted:

No no no no no, stop, this is not what you seem to think it is.

What Microsoft call "combined engineering" is about using a combination of developer-built automated testing and peer review to ensure code quality. There's nothing wrong with it. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's a fantastic system. I believe Facebook use similar practices in most (all?) of their dev teams, and there are plenty of other companies as well.

As a software developer I love this approach and want to do more of it. I want to get rid of every dumb QA "engineer" that I have to deal with and work on a team of competent programmers that have a self-interest in producing good software, where I know that I have to programmatically prove that my code works, and where developers can't take the approach of making GBS threads out half-finished code and letting some unqualified QA drone find and list all the bugs because you'll be directly pissing off your peers instead.

Though I might also have only ever worked at companies that employed dreadful testers.

Writing unit tests and peer-reviewing check-ins is something that should be done alongside actual QA. "Programatically proving code works" does nothing to avoid usability/UI issues, identify test gaps, or account for the tons of issues you end up having on platforms like Android, where code that works on emulators or a test framework will fail on some devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uninterrupted posted:

Writing unit tests and peer-reviewing check-ins is something that should be done alongside actual QA. "Programatically proving code works" does nothing to avoid usability/UI issues, identify test gaps, or account for the tons of issues you end up having on platforms like Android, where code that works on emulators or a test framework will fail on some devices.
Sure, I mean, it was a single paragraph description in a somewhat tangential thread so of course there's more to it than that. The point is that all of those things can be done by engineers who actually understand the platform and the app. I'm sure there are devs who would hate working in such an environment but it isn't some hilariously terrible idea like LIL was making out, it's a totally viable way to create software.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

uninterrupted posted:

quote:

"but one victim group appears to have been the dedicated programmatic testers in the Operating Systems Group (OSG), as OSG is following Bing's lead and moving to a combined engineering approach. Prior to these cuts, Testing/QA staff was in some parts of the company outnumbering developers by about two to one. Afterward, the ratio was closer to one to one. As a precursor to these layoffs and the shifting roles of development and testing, the OSG renamed its test team to "Quality."

From the last page and I don't know the validity of that above, but it seems like that's precisely what Microsoft is doing? A ratio of QA staff/developers of one-to-one combined with other methods.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MrBond posted:

This is probably best discussed in the IOS threads but does said usage show up in Usage settings?

Yep, it shows up in Usage under "Other", but Video.app stream caching is what causes it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The way OEMs are going I'm seriously concerned that a sane user's options are grab a Nexus, deal with CyanogenMod's bullshit, or just switch to iPhone.

And since being the kind of idiot who gets what CyanogenMod even is makes me an exception to a bunch of rules and Google hasn't even wrangled StageFright yet, if I'm Google I should be really really worried about how attractive that last option looks.

uninterrupted posted:

"Programatically proving code works" does nothing to avoid usability/UI issues, identify test gaps, or account for the tons of issues you end up having on platforms like Android, where code that works on emulators or a test framework will fail on some devices.

Usability issues can only be tested against actual users and OEMs aren't going to stop doing Weird/Bad poo poo until you threaten their Google Play privileges.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The way OEMs are going I'm seriously concerned that a sane user's options are grab a Nexus, deal with CyanogenMod's bullshit, or just switch to iPhone.

And since being the kind of idiot who gets what CyanogenMod even is makes me an exception to a bunch of rules and Google hasn't even wrangled StageFright yet, if I'm Google I should be really really worried about how attractive that last option looks.

Usability issues can only be tested against actual users and OEMs aren't going to stop doing Weird/Bad poo poo until you threaten their Google Play privileges.

Yep, Apple's devops skills is a bigger garbage fire than either other party but at least when something majorly scary comes up they can push out a fix fast (and then, repeatedly, until it works).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Android really needs the clout to tell the carriers to fuckoff. They get a look at the radio code or a radio black box, but the rest of the phone needs to be totally independent.
The protocols for talking to a cell tower are complex, but should be well agreed upon at this point.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Looking to replace my iPhone 5C and I'm considering giving Android a shot, mostly since it seems like I can get a phone of comparable quality to an iPhone for several hundred dollars less off-contract. The main ones I'm looking at are the Moto G, Moto X Pure, and the Alcatel Idol 3 (both 4.7" and 5.5" models). The main thing I'm hesitating about is how quickly I will be able to get OS updates on a given phone. I assume the Moto X Pure, since it runs stock Android, will be able to get software updates as soon as Google releases them; does the same apply to the Moto G even though it has some custom Motorola apps? What about Alcatel? Do they have a good track record when it comes to pushing updates in a timely manner? All of these phones would be purchased unlocked and off-contract, so carrier interference is (I assume) a non-issue.

The Ass Stooge fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 14, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ilkhan posted:

Android really needs the clout to tell the carriers to fuckoff. They get a look at the radio code or a radio black box, but the rest of the phone needs to be totally independent.
The protocols for talking to a cell tower are complex, but should be well agreed upon at this point.

That's not really an Android issue, it's an OEM issue.

Until OEMs completely sever ties with carriers and say "hey, we're going to do this device sales thing 100% on our own and you can just handle service", not a hell of a lot is going to change.

That's one of the reasons why the 2015 Moto X was going to be so important and the big reason why I'm so bummed now.

It really is so silly. You don't walk into a Comcast store and say "Hey, I'm going to get some cable service, let's take a look at the TVs I can buy to go with it!" Your electricity provider doesn't have a showroom of fridges that are certified compatible for the electric grid.

I would be 100% in favor of legislation that said that telcos can only sell hardware out of their stores if that store was treated as a completely and totally different subsidiary that was not allowed to directly coordinate with the service side of sales.

Edit:

Unless google is trolling us, it looks like M = Marshmallow.

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/14/google-android-m-reveal-teaser/

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 14, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Moto has a much better track record the Alcatel. Alcatel was for all intents and purposes a non entity prior to the one touch idol 3 so we really can't say there. FWIW the idol 3 IS a really good phone right now from the little I've used one , but updates etc solely depend on Alcatel.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I've got a Nexus 6 and I'm looking for portable battery pack options. I'd like something relatively small, but my current 6000mah unit only charges at 500mA/5v which doesn't put much of a dent on my Nexus 6 especially if I'm using it.

I'd love some QC2 compatible that is still small enough to fit into a pocket. Or at least something that'll charge my N6 quickly even if it isn't QC2 compatible. The times I can really use the battery are usually times when I also want to use the phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The rear end Stooge posted:

Looking to replace my iPhone 5C and I'm considering giving Android a shot, mostly since it seems like I can get a phone of comparable quality to an iPhone for several hundred dollars less off-contract. The main ones I'm looking at are the Moto G, Moto X Pure, and the Alcatel Idol 3 (both 4.7" and 5.5" models). The main thing I'm hesitating about is how quickly I will be able to get OS updates on a given phone. I assume the Moto X Pure, since it runs stock Android, will be able to get software updates as soon as Google releases them; does the same apply to the Moto G even though it has some custom Motorola apps? What about Alcatel? Do they have a good track record when it comes to pushing updates in a timely manner? All of these phones would be purchased unlocked and off-contract, so carrier interference is (I assume) a non-issue.
This is a very bad assumption since even Nexus devices don't always get updated as soon as Google releases new code. Motorola has shown itself to be faster than most other OEMs, but that's about it, and with Lenovo taking more control, it's hard to say if that trend will continue.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The rear end Stooge posted:

The midrange Android market is in a good place right now, and all those phones should be good purchases and since they are unlocked at least they won't have the carrier cockblocking any updates. You should also consider the ZenFone 2 and possibly wait for the Nexus announcements in early fall. Updates will ~probably~ be faster on the Moto G/X than the others, but Lenovo, which is a company known for retarded poo poo software installed on their computers, just made a very questionable move regarding Motorola and there's no telling how it will play out.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

hooah posted:

What are you doing that you think your phone doesn't have enough oomph?

I know this was directed a different poster, but I actually do have an issue with my own Droid Turbo in a specific application. It's a mobile web app (as in, can also be opened with a phone's web browser) that's been packed into a native app wrapper. It runs like butte, with massive frame rate hiccups, frame skipping, and greatly delayed touch response. None of these issues happen on the iOS wrapper on both iPhone 6 and iPod touch 6th, it's almost like the original desktop browser experience on that platform, with the exception of a couple of hurdles I'll mention below. Just to keep the frame of reference in check, mobile web apps seem like they're pretty slow on my Android vs. iOS in general.

If someone would be kind enough to explain, I'd like to know the following, or I'd appreciate it if I could be directed to the right (programming?) thread for these issues:

-Why the huge difference in performance? Again, this is Motorola flagship vs. iOS, but I've never been in the loop w/r/t how mobile OSs are optimized and how a Snapdragon 805 compares to Apple's A8 in terms of applying the metal to the app. (On this note, I was wondering if this post should be in the iPhone thread instead.) For what it's worth, I pulled up the CPU usage overlay while using the Android wrapper and it's hardly giving the app any effort, something like 10%-15% over two cores. Does it also have to do with the huge number of pixels on the Turbo's display as well?

-Is there a decent workaround to all this to stay mobile without an iOS device? Because on the other side of the fence, I've encountered some issues with both the iP6 and the iPt6th in that the edges of the touch screen simply don't like my fingers and the iOS wrapper doesn't play audio automatically (which from what I can tell is because Apple specifically designs their browsers this way? Someone correct me on this) which requires me to tap the screen every time the app changes pages, which it does often enough to be annoying. Also the typical having to move to a new environment, etc. Anyways, I've tried such things as Puffin Browser to try and stream the app instead of using my on-phone resources, but again it's not a particularly adequate experience because it's not very high-bandwidth and still (pretty sure) no audio. (And I still get drawing issues on it, too.)

I was never aware that there was so much of a disparity in how well native apps and non-native apps ran on Android. I understand that effortposts are an odd use of time to explain to someone who probably doesn't give a drat otherwise, but I've gotten curious enough about the mobile side of the IT/elec. engineering tech headache to start obsessing over devices and such, so you'd be doing my mental health a favor! :downs:

tl;dr: "why does this browser game suck balls on my Turbo compared to iPhone/iPod" but that kind of question post doesn't get informative responses.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 15, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Can you tell us what the app is?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
So I killed my Turbo today at work. Dropped it on some jagged steel screen down and shattered it good. It's stuck in a boot loop now with no picture at all. Took it to Verizon on my lunch break and luckily a couple reps there had heard about the free one time replacement Moto offers us special snowflakes, and got the ball rolling on that for me. Being that I have insurance also, they overnighted me a "certified like new" replacement but I may not have it until Monday what with the weekend.

Two of the reps there tried to tell me Motorola offers no such thing and that I didn't have insurance so maybe this belongs in the Verizon thread but just a heads up for you Turbo folk.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

It runs like butte

I assume you mean "butter" and forgot a letter?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
it's time for goon ridicule!

the app is Granblue Fantasy. The game inside the wrapper is launched at this URL (requires you to be on a phone/emulating a phone of course), and the native app wrapper is found here for Android (requires a Japanese Google account/VPN if you're not in that country iirc) and here for iOS (requires an Apple ID with region set to Japan)

RVProfootballer posted:

I assume you mean "butter" and forgot a letter?

in the sense that butter is disgusting slimy sometimes-fermented animal leavings, yes

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 15, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

the app is Granblue Fantasy. The game inside the wrapper is launched at this URL (requires you to be on a phone/emulating a phone of course), and the native app wrapper is found here for Android (requires a Japanese Google account/VPN if you're not in that country iirc) and here for iOS (requires an Apple ID with region set to Japan)

in the sense that butter is disgusting slimy sometimes-fermented animal leavings, yes

Careful, you don't want to upset big butter in these parts.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Claiming that the Holocaust was about Jews is Zionism. Biden is doing it to provide cover to Israel!

This reminds me, does the iOS anime soccer titty game exist on android? Because you might want to save yourself some time and move to that.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So basically everything other then a nexus is a piece of poo poo that will never be updated and suck...thanks goons.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those with the Note 4, do you think its worth $399? Looks like I can pick up a refurbished Unlocked AT&T Note 4 on eBay for $399. Although I'll probably wait until the new Moto X is reviewed, since it's sitting at the same price point.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 15, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My iPhone 6 committed suicide by jumping off a boat and I needed a fast & cheap replacement but didn't want to shrink my screen too much, so I'm now the proud owner of a 1st generation Moto X. Purchased used, off eBay, from a seller who apparently offloads old stock that was returned to Motorola but not refurbished.

I think I got a dud? Battery was dead on arrival, and while it can function while plugged in, I just let it charge for an hour and the battery is still showing 1%. I can get a replacement (the seller seems to have a decent swap / return policy if there's a problem with the phone they sell you) but its going to take some time. While I sit here wringing my hands over my device, can anyone tell me if phone batteries can behave like this if they're left run down for long amounts of time, but will eventually hold at least some charge if left plugged in ... Overnight? I mean I'm going to find out either way, but if someone here has experience with this issue or some knowledge about it, lay it on me.

Also, what's the newest version of Android that this thing can run, smoothly?

Edit: I also just cut up the SIM that was in my Nokia 635 backup phone so it would fit in the Moto X. This wouldn't have any effect on the battery and I'm retarded if I would even consider such a thing... Right?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 15, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

SMERSH Mouth posted:

My iPhone 6 committed suicide by jumping off a boat and I needed a fast & cheap replacement but didn't want to shrink my screen too much, so I'm now the proud owner of a 1st generation Moto X. Purchased used, off eBay, from a seller who apparently offloads old stock that was returned to Motorola but not refurbished.

I think I got a dud? Battery was dead on arrival, and while it can function while plugged in, I just let it charge for an hour and the battery is still showing 1%. I can get a replacement (the seller seems to have a decent swap / return policy if there's a problem with the phone they sell you) but its going to take some time. While I sit here wringing my hands over my device, can anyone tell me if phone batteries can behave like this if they're left run down for long amounts of time, but will eventually hold at least some charge if left plugged in ... Overnight? I mean I'm going to find out either way, but if someone here has experience with this issue or some knowledge about it, lay it on me.

Also, what's the newest version of Android that this thing can run, smoothly?

Edit: I also just cut up the SIM that was in my Nokia 635 backup phone so it would fit in the Moto X. This wouldn't have any effect on the battery and I'm retarded if I would even consider such a thing... Right?

Just exchange the phone, the battery shouldn't be doing that. You should probably be running version 4.4.4.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Unless google is trolling us, it looks like M = Marshmallow.

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/14/google-android-m-reveal-teaser/

The boyfriend and I are rooting for Android Meatball. :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

uninterrupted posted:

This reminds me, does the iOS anime soccer titty game exist on android? Because you might want to save yourself some time and move to that.
:negative:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Whenever there's any change in Motorola this thread immediately has a collective nervous breakdown. There's nothing in that article that suggests that their phones are gonna be any worse than the current offerings, despite its hyperbolic nature.

As good as their phones are, Motorola has been a moneypit for years and any company that buys it for its mobile business (as opposed to Google who only wanted the patents) must implement changes if they ever hope to achieve profitability.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Desk Lamp posted:

There's nothing in that article that suggests that their phones are gonna be any worse than the current offerings, despite its hyperbolic nature.

They fired the Motorola engineers who made all the good software and are replacing them with Chinese engineers from Lenovo, the current worst company in the technology sector.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

They fired the Motorola engineers who made all the good software and are replacing them with Chinese engineers from Lenovo, the current worst company in the technology sector.

I think that's a little unfair. Everyone in the commodity technology sector is terrible. It's a loser's game, after all.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

vyst posted:

With the exception of the lock screen you can literally phase out every element of touchwiz with apps now.

I did that with my Note 3. It is still not as smooth an experience as pure android, not even close.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LionYeti posted:

So basically everything other then a nexus is a piece of poo poo that will never be updated and suck...thanks goons.

Not quite, lots of goons are going goon gaga over their turbo-tastic Droid Turbos. Granted, they have to stay on Verizon, who isn't all that cool about non-branded phones being allowed on their network, so they may have a sample size problem.

People also really like their Moto X-es, though even the latest available generation is starting to age a bit. However, the Moto G is decidedly a non-poo poo phone in its own right and a good deal at its price point.

The Nexus 5 and 6 are absolutely decent phones and will get timely updates and such, but they aren't the only decent phones out there. Once you start wanting to get something new (as in not used) under $700 off contract, then sure, the N5 or 6 are probably the best bang for your buck.

Stuff from Samsung requires an... acquired taste given the touchwhiz. Motorola's non-Droid offerings are fairly solid, and I guess their Droid ones would be too but you have to deal with Verizon's baggage.

In short, no, not everything non-Nexus is poo poo but the farther you get from a Nexus in terms of carrier/manufacturer loving-around-with the more poo poo it becomes with regard to updates. Just don't expect a great camera.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

I think that's a little unfair. Everyone in the commodity technology sector is terrible. It's a loser's game, after all.

Selling out the root certificates on a year's worth of laptops for a quarter-mil and leaving an honest-to-Xenu rootkit in the slack space of their late-model EFI stack make for a special kind of rear end in a top hat, though.

And, absent evidence to the contrary, we have to assume those are the kind of people Lenovo's sending in to replace the Motorola do-stuff people.

LionYeti posted:

Worse.

If you have a Nexus, or some other phone with unlockable bootloaders and factory images, you'll still probably end up using CyanogenMod at some point because someone isn't on the ball security-wise :ironicat: or the device was abandoned before it was actually obsolete or something.

If it doesn't have that level of access exposed to the user, you could be stuck with whatever the manufacturer or carrier leaves you, or digging through XDA, which are merely two different sides of the same coin valued at just screwed.

Maybe Google will, at some point, sack up and exile anyone who won't separate security and platform capability stuff from manufacturer/carrier value-add or who won't make their apps compatible with Google Account app data backup.

Maybe they'll just bring ChromeOS (complete with extensions) down to tablet and phone form factors. This would at least be more in the spirit of the rest of Google and make their device strategy less schizophrenic.

But the current state of things cannot stand.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 15, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
If Sony weren't so slow in releasing software updates for their handsets, I'd recommend them. I love my Xperia Z3 Compact - it's got relatively few additions on top of stock Android and it runs really well. For unbranded Z3 devices though, they just started receiving Android 5.1.1 last month.

I don' t know if Sony spent the interim addressing any performance problems or whatever with 5.1.1. Certainly. 5.0.2, which Sony released around April time as its first public Lollipop build, eventually suffered from bad redraws on the home screen and would kick apps out of RAM quicker than you can say boohoo.

On 5.1.1, though, the Z3 Compact is absolute buttery joy to use. There's no stutter anywhere in the interface that I've come across, I haven't had any redraws, and more apps are kept in memory for longer. There's another goon in the thread that's had Bluetooth audio issues with the Z3 Compact. I suppose that's the thing with Android phones, there's usually something that prevents it from being nigh-on perfect.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Man the hyperbole is flying thick and fast in this thread right now... Jesus

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Does it behave the same in the Chrome browser on android?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Selling out the root certificates on a year's worth of laptops for a quarter-mil and leaving an honest-to-Xenu rootkit in the slack space of their late-model EFI stack make for a special kind of rear end in a top hat, though.

And, absent evidence to the contrary, we have to assume those are the kind of people Lenovo's sending in to replace the Motorola do-stuff people.

True, that's lovely, but then Samsung laptops were disabling Windows Update altogether so that it wouldn't update a driver.

My point is that when there is absolutely no money to be made selling something, if you want that something to be available for purchase the shortfall has to come from somewhere. If it wasn't Superfish it'd have been something else and even when it's not Superfish it's antivirus trials and adware bundled into the system image and stickers all over the case.

The fact is there isn't money in making commodity devices. On the PC side, we know where that money has to come from: malware, trialware, advertising, and subsidies by Intel and Microsoft. On the phone side it's a lot less clear where it's going to come from at least right now but it's likely going to be the same places. Certainly advertising (HTC's push notification for a branded theme a couple weeks ago being an example), definitely bundled apps, but we really haven't gotten to the point where intrusive, system-level adware and malware are used to shore up the cost per unit. Given the losses being suffered by pretty much every player in the space I don't think it's far-fetched to think it's going to come to that sooner or later.

What other sustainable option is there but to take payments to inconvenience (and worse) the user?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Hughmoris posted:

For those with the Note 4, do you think its worth $399? Looks like I can pick up a refurbished Unlocked AT&T Note 4 on eBay for $399. Although I'll probably wait until the new Moto X is reviewed, since it's sitting at the same price point.

I bought mine at $480. If I had to choose now, I'd probably wait for the new Moto X.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If Sony weren't so slow in releasing software updates for their handsets, I'd recommend them. I love my Xperia Z3 Compact - it's got relatively few additions on top of stock Android and it runs really well. For unbranded Z3 devices though, they just started receiving Android 5.1.1 last month.

I don' t know if Sony spent the interim addressing any performance problems or whatever with 5.1.1. Certainly. 5.0.2, which Sony released around April time as its first public Lollipop build, eventually suffered from bad redraws on the home screen and would kick apps out of RAM quicker than you can say boohoo.

On 5.1.1, though, the Z3 Compact is absolute buttery joy to use. There's no stutter anywhere in the interface that I've come across, I haven't had any redraws, and more apps are kept in memory for longer. There's another goon in the thread that's had Bluetooth audio issues with the Z3 Compact. I suppose that's the thing with Android phones, there's usually something that prevents it from being nigh-on perfect.

That's me and it's the perfect phone aside from that crippling issue. I have the new G on the way and will take a stab at a warranty fix.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

Nope. Superfish and the more recent example show what Lenovo cares about, and its not the customer end-user. gently caress'em.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

LastInLine posted:

What other sustainable option is there but to take payments to inconvenience (and worse) the user?

Uh, Apple isn't shipping malware on its phones OR its computers.