Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Godholio posted:

They did a hell of a job. It's still one of the best AEW radars in the world and won't be replaced until the E-3 is retired, and maybe not even then.

Considering the lifespan of the APS-20, and the number of platforms it was transplanted to, I suspect the APY-1 will outlive us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
The other day while stuck in traffic, I had a weird thought: What's the biggest single-engine aircraft ever? Biggest can mean a lot of things--wingspan, length, weight, etc. I poked around a bit and it looks like there's no definitive answer... but lots of arguing! With greater reliability from engines, what sort of single-engine configurations could we see in the future? Commercial, military, doesn't matter.

P.S. No helicopters.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Not the biggest wingspan, but some say it's the BIGGEST PIECE OF poo poo single engine plane. :boom:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

benito posted:

The other day while stuck in traffic, I had a weird thought: What's the biggest single-engine aircraft ever? Biggest can mean a lot of things--wingspan, length, weight, etc. I poked around a bit and it looks like there's no definitive answer... but lots of arguing! With greater reliability from engines, what sort of single-engine configurations could we see in the future? Commercial, military, doesn't matter.

P.S. No helicopters.
Ooh, let's make this a game...everyone has to answer this without looking it up! Answers and arguments tomorrow

Put answers in spoiler tags

Biggest single engine airplane by:

Gross weight (piston):
Wingspan (piston):
Gross weight (turboprop):
Wingspan (turboprop):
Gross weight (jet):
Wing span (jet):

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

They did a hell of a job. It's still one of the best AEW radars in the world and won't be replaced until the E-3 is retired, and maybe not even then.

Fake edit: Also, that new 747 tanker (it's not the old one, they're moving the hardware to a -400) will carry almost twice the retardant as the DC-10. :stare:

The cost to design and build something to replace it would be astronomical. Especially making an AESA that big which it would be (see wedgetail/MESA). I would guess that some of the processing computers...etc could be upgraded though (has it ever been?). We have an AWACS antenna hanging at one of the entrances to our building, it's massive.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

vessbot posted:

Ooh, let's make this a game...everyone has to answer this without looking it up! Answers and arguments tomorrow

Gross weight (piston):
Wingspan (piston):
Wingspan (turboprop):
Gross weight (jet):
Wing span (jet):

Douglas AD-4 Skyraider
Tupolev ANT-25
Westland Wyvern
Grob G 520
Tupolev Tu-123
Myasishchev M-17

EDIT: Made a change after I remembered something.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 15, 2015

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

vessbot posted:

Gross weight (piston):
Wingspan (piston):
Wingspan (turboprop):
Gross weight (jet):
Wing span (jet):

Have fun! Also, the answer "777-300ER with one engine down" does not count. (Not my joke.)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

vessbot posted:

Gross weight (piston):
Wingspan (piston):
Wingspan (turboprop):
Gross weight (jet):
Wing span (jet):

A few guesses.

Piston wing span: AN-2
Piston weight: Skyraider
Turboprop wingspan: PC-12
Turboprop weight: I dunno PC-12 again??
Weight jet: F-35
Wing span jet: Global Hawk. Manned option: U-2.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Largest single engine turboprop:

:colbert:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

MrChips posted:

Myasishchev M-17

I loving love the look of this plane. It's so weird and so cool.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
The M-17's twin booms to hold the landing gear are a much nicer solution to the landing gear problem than the U2 had.

Then look again at how the Tu-95 has the main landing gear in the inboard engine nacelles compared to the B-52's crazy bicycle and outrigger setup.

You might say that this is the same as the space writing problem. Soviets:pencil to nasa:multi-million dollar pressurized pen

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

0toShifty posted:

You might say that this is the same as the space writing problem. Soviets:pencil to nasa:multi-million dollar pressurized pen

I would like to point out that this is an urban legend that doesn't mean anything. Both NASA and the USSR used pencils originally, but quickly realized that having tiny particles of conductive graphite floating around your spaceship is a Bad Idea if it gets into any electronics. The Fisher space pen was developed with several million dollars of Fisher's own money without any contract from NASA or anything, and then he sold them to both NASA and the USSR for a fairly cheap price (like $6 apiece).

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Luneshot posted:

I would like to point out that this is an urban legend that doesn't mean anything. Both NASA and the USSR used pencils originally, but quickly realized that having tiny particles of conductive graphite floating around your spaceship is a Bad Idea if it gets into any electronics. The Fisher space pen was developed with several million dollars of Fisher's own money without any contract from NASA or anything, and then he sold them to both NASA and the USSR for a fairly cheap price (like $6 apiece).

I did not know that!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Plinkey posted:

The cost to design and build something to replace it would be astronomical. Especially making an AESA that big which it would be (see wedgetail/MESA). I would guess that some of the processing computers...etc could be upgraded though (has it ever been?). We have an AWACS antenna hanging at one of the entrances to our building, it's massive.

The E-10 MC2A was a 767 variant intended to replace the E-8 JSTARS initially, then become an E-3 replacement with a block upgrade that included a variant of the Wedgetail radar. I assume it would be a much larger and more powerful version, but whatever. So I don't think anybody is even looking into a clean-slate design, particularly since the E-10 was cancelled (and rightly so, combining those platforms was a dumb loving idea).

The processing computer has had MINOR upgrades over the years, but at its heart it's still a goddamned IBM 4Pi. One of the bigger upgrades it has received was when the reel-to-reel memory was replaced in the late 90s by a reel-to-reel emulator; basically a hard drive that had to run as if it were starting at one end of the reel. However, it's being completely replaced a couple of jets at a time right now, with the Block 40/45 upgrade. There are a handful of the "new" E-3G models flying. I think the first one was delivered in 2011; only one squadron was certified to fly them at first, but I'm not sure if that's been expanding yet. They're completely gutting the main deck of equipment and replacing literally tons of hardware with a Windows-based rack server thing.

Edit: I think I've posted this before, but for perspective the highlighted cabinet is literally the graphics processor. It's bolted to the deck, and is probably a foot and a half wide (ie away from the camera).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 15, 2015

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

drat it, I missed firetanker chat :(
My brother's a Hotshot up in Oregon, and usually the only texts I get from him when he's on a fire are "what is this airplane" with a picture. He got dropped on by the DC-10 before and he said it sucked (duh). He also got a tour of a BAE 146 which used to be RAF One and transported the queen, but is now converted as a firebomber.

Those crews are ballsy as hell.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Inacio posted:

I loving love the look of this plane. It's so weird and so cool.

That's an M-55, which is the twin-engined (and far more successful) derivative of the M-17.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

triggered

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's NATO at least.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

The E-10 MC2A was a 767 variant intended to replace the E-8 JSTARS initially, then become an E-3 replacement with a block upgrade that included a variant of the Wedgetail radar. I assume it would be a much larger and more powerful version, but whatever. So I don't think anybody is even looking into a clean-slate design, particularly since the E-10 was cancelled (and rightly so, combining those platforms was a dumb loving idea).

The processing computer has had MINOR upgrades over the years, but at its heart it's still a goddamned IBM 4Pi. One of the bigger upgrades it has received was when the reel-to-reel memory was replaced in the late 90s by a reel-to-reel emulator; basically a hard drive that had to run as if it were starting at one end of the reel. However, it's being completely replaced a couple of jets at a time right now, with the Block 40/45 upgrade. There are a handful of the "new" E-3G models flying. I think the first one was delivered in 2011; only one squadron was certified to fly them at first, but I'm not sure if that's been expanding yet. They're completely gutting the main deck of equipment and replacing literally tons of hardware with a Windows-based rack server thing.

Edit: I think I've posted this before, but for perspective the highlighted cabinet is literally the graphics processor. It's bolted to the deck, and is probably a foot and a half wide (ie away from the camera).

Hmm are the electronics required to be hardened? Because if so take whatever imaginary large number you thought of and add some zeros.

quote:

The AP-101, being the top-of-the-line of the System/4 Pi range, shares its general architecture with the System/360 mainframes.[1] It has 16 32-bit registers, and uses a microprogram to define an instruction set of 154 instructions. Originally only 16 bits were available for addressing memory; later this was extended with four bits from the program status word register, allowing a directly addressable memory range of 1M locations.

quote:

The shuttle software was written in HAL/S, a special-purpose high-level language, whereas AP-101s used by the US Air Force are mostly programmed in JOVIAL, such as the system found on the B-1B Lancer bomber.[5]

I've used/messed with code for these before :stare:

e:
http://business.highbeam.com/438317/article-1G1-3161147/jovial-smooth-us-air-force-shift-ada

Lol, "While Ada connoisseurs may consider Jovial a moribund language, the Air Force has plans for its proven HOL that will extend its use into the 1990s. This policy will result in the application of Jovial software to several big ticket programs including the B-1B bomber..." more like into the 2010s.

Anyone know what 'HOL' stands for? - Nevermind, High Order Language.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 15, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
edit: don't wanna spoil the game in case this turns out to be a correct answer

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Godholio posted:

So how exactly do I go about securing a government contract in replacing all of those mammoth walk-in-fridge-sized computers with a loving up-to-date alienware computer at a nice, gubmint-cheese private contractor markup? :getin:

I just want to make LockMart jealous proud.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Duke Chin posted:

So how exactly do I go about securing a government contract in replacing all of those mammoth walk-in-fridge-sized computers with a loving up-to-date alienware computer at a nice, gubmint-cheese private contractor markup? :getin:

Have a proven track record of being able to do it before and lobbyists.

e: You also have to use all american made electronics. So I think alien ware is out. You have to go small shop custom or HP.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

MrChips posted:

That's an M-55, which is the twin-engined (and far more successful) derivative of the M-17.

Whoa, I always thought it was just a paintjob and demilitarization. Neat!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Plinkey posted:

Have a proven track record of being able to do it before and lobbyists.

e: You also have to use all american made electronics. So I think alien ware is out. You have to go small shop custom or HP.

Dude the AWACS fleet cannot get a simple microwave installed to replace the brokedick ovens. It took over a decade to get a computer upgrade.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Dude the AWACS fleet cannot get a simple microwave installed to replace the brokedick ovens. It took over a decade to get a computer upgrade.

To be fair there are legitimate concerns about RF leakage.

Concerns that were mitigated in the mid 60s but regardless!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

something something microwaves something something radiation something something equipment something something you're sterile

:v: it never gets old

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gross weight (piston): That crazy fighter with the wasp major engine
Wingspan (piston): AN-2?
Gross weight (turboprop): Skyraider?
Wingspan (turboprop): MQ-9?
Gross weight (jet): Su-25?
Wing span (jet): U-2

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Gross weight (piston): That crazy fighter with the wasp major engine
Wingspan (piston): AN-2?
Gross weight (turboprop): Skyraider?
Wingspan (turboprop): MQ-9?
Gross weight (jet): Su-25?
Wing span (jet): U-2

Skyraider had a Wright R-3550, not a turboprop.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Duke Chin posted:

It took Boeing almost 50 years to pull it off. First E-3 flew in 1971, the first jet went into depot for this upgrade in...2009 I think.

First AWACS, best AWACS.

Edit: She still has side windows. :3 The first two were actually 707 frames that were modified and if you look close you can see the panels that replace the window panels. The rest of the airframes were purpose built with no window provisions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

"Godholio" posted:

What is Mr. Bean doing in the background?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Additional comedy option for biggest single-engine aircraft:

Convair NB-36H

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

slidebite posted:

What is Mr. Bean doing in the background?

He's about to fall into the forward lower compartment because some rear end in a top hat maintainer left it open.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

To be fair there are legitimate concerns about RF leakage.

Concerns that were mitigated in the mid 60s but regardless!

What cannot be mitigated is the simple fact that anyone who prefers a microwave over a convection oven is simply wrong.

I know ABMs mostly live off things they find in the Walmart frozen food aisle but the convection oven is so versatile that id be willing to say that its removal from the c-130j is almost a bigger shame than the removal of the nav

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
NOT IF IT DOESNT loving WORK

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

NOT IF IT DOESNT loving WORK

blame the crew chief imo

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Does the Thunderscreech count as a turboprop?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Prop Wash posted:

blame the crew chief imo

Red X that fucker.

On a Friday.

gently caress it MX aren't even people.

(You monster :( )

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Never bothered. If an oven broke, there were no parts to fix it. Writing it up was a waste of time. poo poo was in the K's anyway. Flying a jet with a working oven was great. Now if that oven actually heated up food was another issue altogether.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MANGOSTEEN CURES P posted:

Does the Thunderscreech count as a turboprop?

What else would it count as?

I mean, unless you want to say it was really a powered glider. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Prop Wash posted:

blame the crew chief imo

From what I hear they're just pulling the ovens and fridges as they break instead of fixing them. :( Seriously hosed up.

Why yes, I'd love to fly for 12-16 hours with either a cold can of soup I can't heat up or a sandwich I can't keep cold.