Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Torrannor posted:

He simply welcomed them to Germany, which works equally well for tourists and immigrants, so everything is all right?

Above says "Mr Latteyer says that he felt moved to make the speech by the experience of his brother-in-law, who fled the Kosovo conflict in the 1990s," This means to me a native english-speaker that he assumed they were fleeing something. Is the translation wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!
They were accompanied by two social workers and in one article it was mentioned that he noticed it by the type of tickets they had. So he knew they were refugees.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ranter posted:

Above says "Mr Latteyer says that he felt moved to make the speech by the experience of his brother-in-law, who fled the Kosovo conflict in the 1990s," This means to me a native english-speaker that he assumed they were fleeing something. Is the translation wrong?

Yeah, he probably did - as would I, and you probably as well, I bet. It's imo not that much of a reach to think “refugees“ when a group of 15 young Africans accompanied by two white people enter your bus during the largest refugee crisis (I'm sure there's a better term for this?) since 1946. And even if he had that thought, he only welcomed them to Germany, nothing more. Are we charging obviously good-willed people now for thoughtcrimes, too? :psyduck:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

goethe42 posted:

They were accompanied by two social workers and in one article it was mentioned that he noticed it by the type of tickets they had. So he knew they were refugees.

Is this like a concession ticket for poor/elderly people?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

There is no way that this happened in Bavaria. This was clearly staged in a Potemkin Erlangen somewhere in NRW, like all positive and uplifting news stories out of Bayern.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ja, die Erlanger sind gastfreundlich

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ranter posted:

Is this like a concession ticket for poor/elderly people?

Probably something like that, most public transport companies have reduced fare tickets for students, infirm, elderly etc. , possibly also for tickets provided by social services. Or the social workers paid for all with a government credit card, something like that. He just mentioned, that when he noticed they were refugees by the tickets they had, he felt the need to do something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neue Deutsche Welle was weird.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, he probably did - as would I, and you probably as well, I bet. It's imo not that much of a reach to think “refugees“ when a group of 15 young Africans accompanied by two white people enter your bus during the largest refugee crisis (I'm sure there's a better term for this?) since 1946. And even if he had that thought, he only welcomed them to Germany, nothing more. Are we charging obviously good-willed people now for thoughtcrimes, too? :psyduck:

If leftists could no longer accuse other left-ish people for being insufficient leftist like half their feindbilder would disappear. Can't have that.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ArchangeI posted:

If leftists could no longer accuse other left-ish people for being insufficient leftist like half their feindbilder would disappear. Can't have that.

I dunno it seems kinda patronizing, like saying "we all know you're untermenschen but I personally don't mind". I can't imagine that happening in the US with south americans or something, at least without everyone seeing it as a bit racist. I'm not German though (and using the anglicized expression untermenschen might not be the best in this context).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Private Speech posted:

I dunno it seems kinda patronizing, like saying "we all know you're untermenschen but I personally don't mind". I can't imagine that happening in the US with south americans or something, at least without everyone seeing it as a bit racist. I'm not German though (and using the anglicized expression untermenschen might not be the best in this context).

This is basically how I'm seeing it. A bus driver doing this in Australia or the USA would be seen as patronizing but it seems that in Germany this is not patronizing and is seen as a positive (because, if I'm understanding this correctly, Bavarian stereotype is that of a racist). I am not coming here to say he is racist or tell Germans what to think, just adding perspective from the outside.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
You can say what the busdriver said in a condescending way and in a sincere way, and judging from the reaction it got, I'd say he probably sounded sincere. Why are we still debating this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ranter posted:

This is basically how I'm seeing it. A bus driver doing this in Australia or the USA would be seen as patronizing but it seems that in Germany this is not patronizing and is seen as a positive (because, if I'm understanding this correctly, Bavarian stereotype is that of a racist). I am not coming here to say he is racist or tell Germans what to think, just adding perspective from the outside.

Considering the current refugee crisis and the general rarity of African tourists in Germany, it was a good guess that these people are refugees. Even apart from any possible visual clues, since people have a month long journey through Africa, over the Mediterranean and into Germany behind them probably look a lot more worn down than simple tourists.

Private Speech posted:

I don't understand where this "untermenschen" thing comes from? :confused:

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
yeah or maybe just maybe non aryans can also be germans and telling someone you know nothing about "welcome to my country" automatically tells him "this isn't your country"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Nice to see not every Bavarian is completely evil. (That bus driver was Bavarian, right? I did not just dream that?)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Dammit, us Bavarians have got an evil quota to fulfill, this guy's dragging us all down! Looks like overtime in the racism mines tomorrow because of him :mad:

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

niethan posted:

yeah or maybe just maybe germans can also be non racist and telling a german you know nothing about(because you haven't even read this page of the thread) "you're german, so you're a racist whatever you do" automatically tells him "this is the time to look for the ignore button"

FTFY

The bus driver asked the two female social workers, which showed the tickets for all 17 of them, if the 15 black youth were from the refugee home around the corner, which they confirmed.
He was then reminded of his non-aryan (sic) brother-in-law, who had fled war-torn Kosovo in 1998 and found a new home in Germany and of his grandfather, who had lost an arm in WWII and was very outspoken against war and following false convictions.
The refugees seemed very downtrodden to him, so he tried to find a way to lighten their mood and show them that they are welcome in their new country.

Source(in german): http://www.focus.de/politik/deutsch...id_4877579.html

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Libluini posted:

Nice to see not every Bavarian is completely evil. (That bus driver was Bavarian, right? I did not just dream that?)

No, he's Franconian.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

goethe42 posted:

FTFY

The bus driver asked the two female social workers, which showed the tickets for all 17 of them, if the 15 black youth were from the refugee home around the corner, which they confirmed.
He was then reminded of his non-aryan (sic) brother-in-law, who had fled war-torn Kosovo in 1998 and found a new home in Germany and of his grandfather, who had lost an arm in WWII and was very outspoken against war and following false convictions.
The refugees seemed very downtrodden to him, so he tried to find a way to lighten their mood and show them that they are welcome in their new country.

I don't care about this specific occasion. Good on the bus driver for being a nice guy. I'm born in Germany and have lived here my whole life and yet there's always some fucker who wants to know where I'm from. I'm not even black

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goethe42 posted:

FTFY

Fair enough, I didn't know all those details (and I did read the thread! Though I don't speak German, so I was just going by what was posted)

But I wouldn't say that I was being racist towards Germans exactly, when the whole point was that I would think it's a bit racist if I saw it happen myself (particularly with it being said it in English), no matter the country (be it Italy, China, France, Russia or Australia). That's why I said using untermensch in this context might not be appropriate.

If the driver was feeling sorry for them maybe he should just treat them super nicely like they were Germans, making small talk or whatever. In English if necessary, making them feel like they belong? I'm phoneposting from bed so sorry if I sound unclear, I don't mean to be offensive.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BabyFur Denny posted:

No, he's Franconian.

Too bad then

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Private Speech posted:

If the driver was feeling sorry for them maybe he should just treat them super nicely like they were Germans, making small talk or whatever. In English if necessary, making them feel like they belong?

Was he supposed to set the bus on autopilot and then walk around handing out candy or something? You can't easily make small talk with 15 people while you're driving a bus.

I don't even understand why we're still talking about this. His heart was in the right place and the refugees obviously appreciated the gesture instead of thinking 'look at that racist fucker, reminding us that this is his country, and that we're subhumans'. It's a non-issue.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

quote:

"Excuse me ladies and gentlemen from all over the world on this bus, I want to say something," the driver said over the intercom gruffly, setting aside his tall can of beer and taking a long, poignant drag of his cigarette. "I want to say... welcome." The driver spread his arms wide, letting the steering wheel hang loose for a moment as a cloud of smoke poured slowly from his mouth with every word. "Welcome to Germany, welcome to my country." He pulled his sunglasses down over his eyes and kicked the bus into overdrive as a wicked guitar riff blared from the bus speakers. Fire shot from the exhaust pipes as the bus skidded down the Autobahn and he screamed a rebel yell, the Reichsfahne attached to the mirror snapping wildly in the breeze.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 15, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The only racists are in this thread saying Germans/Bavarians are all racist.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
The guy who suggested the bus driver make small talk (presumably what he would do with 'Germans') has obviously never ridden a bus, let alone in Germany. The best you usually get from a bus driver is a nod or maybeeee a curt "Morgen" if you say something first. And here we have a guy who has seen and read reports about refugee homes getting torched, about "concerned citizens" spewing racist and chauvinist hate speech on- and offline, and he is personally moved and decides that he wants to give a positive impression of Germany and suddenly he's the bad guy because he doesn't have a degree in social sciences and didn't think his words 100% through in the moment. Just loving lol.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

schoenfelder posted:

The guy who suggested the bus driver make small talk (presumably what he would do with 'Germans') has obviously never ridden a bus, let alone in Germany. The best you usually get from a bus driver is a nod or maybeeee a curt "Morgen" if you say something first. And here we have a guy who has seen and read reports about refugee homes getting torched, about "concerned citizens" spewing racist and chauvinist hate speech on- and offline, and he is personally moved and decides that he wants to give a positive impression of Germany and suddenly he's the bad guy because he doesn't have a degree in social sciences and didn't think his words 100% through in the moment. Just loving lol.

Eh, I once had a guy asking us how many curves there were between A and B, and when we started counting, he said "Only two: left and right!" and started ranting about how stupid people are nowadays and nobody's thinking anymore and we all suck.

We were the only two people in an otherwise empty bus driving through the wasteland that is Lower Austria, though.

Oh, and several times I've had long-distance bus drivers who just couldn't shut the gently caress up. Announcing each stop, maybe even making a joke or giving a helpful reminder to take everything with you or whatever? No problem. Rambling on for minutes about how you have to send your sons Whatsapp texts to call them to dinner because they spend their whole day in their rooms playing Dota or whatever? I don't give a poo poo, please shut up :suicide:

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Eh, I once had a guy asking us how many curves there were between A and B, and when we started counting, he said "Only two: left and right!" and started ranting about how stupid people are nowadays and nobody's thinking anymore and we all suck.

We were the only two people in an otherwise empty bus driving through the wasteland that is Lower Austria, though.
I bolded your problem. Show me a bus driver who drives a regular service in a German city and makes small talk with passengers and I'll show you a liar.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

goethe42 posted:

How loving dare that racist piece of poo poo ask them where they're from? He should have minded his own business and not, uh, origin-shamed them. I'm relentlessy triggered.

schoenfelder posted:

Someone mentioned Bavaria, so there must be something racist in there somewhere.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Private Speech posted:

maybe he should just treat them super nicely like they were Germans...

Hahahaha. No one treats anyone super nicely in Germany. German or not.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Strangers being really nice is kinda creepy imo.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

bronin posted:

Hahahaha. No one treats anyone super nicely in Germany. German or not.
Seriously. If somebody you don't know treats you super nicely best assume you're getting swindled in one way or another.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

:magical:

I feel a little bit responsible for what happened in this thread. Just to clarify to all undeutsche goons reading this thread: Making fun of Bavaria is like a running gag in German culture and mostly done for satire. Bavaria is not racist mordor, it is not Alabama. The large cities are extremely nice places to live and have been experiencing massive positive net migration from other parts of Germany for decades. Munich, Bavaria's capital, is probably the most international city in the country, with a huge part of population having immigrant roots. There is almost no violent crime and no open, organized anti-immigrantion political movements in the cities. It is NOT the Alabama of Germany.

(That's the only positive thing I'm ever going to mention about that shithole of a Bundesland in this thread. I was truly shocked that the bus driver didn't go for "Welcome dahoam, would you like to have a Neger to drink? It's named after you, lol!" gently caress this medieval shithole.)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

waitwhatno posted:

I feel a little bit responsible for what happened in this thread. Just to clarify to all undeutsche goons reading this thread: Making fun of Bavaria is like a running gag in German culture and mostly done for satire. Bavaria is not racist mordor, it is not Alabama. The large cities are extremely nice places to live and have been experiencing massive positive net migration from other parts of Germany for decades. Munich, Bavaria's capital, is probably the most international city in the country, with a huge part of population having immigrant roots. There is almost no violent crime and no open, organized anti-immigrantion political movements in the cities. It is NOT the Alabama of Germany.

(That's the only positive thing I'm ever going to mention about that shithole of a Bundesland in this thread. I was truly shocked that the bus driver didn't go for "Welcome dahoam, would you like to have a Neger to drink? It's named after you, lol!" gently caress this medieval shithole.)

In a broad analogy where Bavaria = southern United States, Munich is probably Atlanta: a massive city that is not bad to live in, has a good economy, positive net migration, and politics that do not mirror those of its surroundings. But just because that one city may be nice, it doesn't mean that most of the rest of it isn't a shithole.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnrRy6kSFF0

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Aww, I want to take all of you on a trip through rural Austria. :sun:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

waitwhatno posted:

Nah, the American south is a massive shithole without the specter of communist rule as an excuse.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Drone posted:

In a broad analogy where Bavaria = southern United States, Munich is probably Atlanta: a massive city that is not bad to live in, has a good economy, positive net migration, and politics that do not mirror those of its surroundings. But just because that one city may be nice, it doesn't mean that most of the rest of it isn't a shithole.

You know, as lovely as the CSU is, Bavaria still is far away from having literal neo-nazi villages like Jameln, and yet I never hear someone declaring each and every Mecklenburg-Vorpommerner racist shitheads who should be nuked into oblivion :shrug:

Oh, and while we may have a drink called "Neger" (haven't heard that one in ages, btw), NRW has an entire river :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

You know, as lovely as the CSU is, Bavaria still is far away from having literal neo-nazi villages like Jameln, and yet I never hear someone declaring each and every Mecklenburg-Vorpommerner racist shitheads who should be nuked into oblivion :shrug:

Oh, and while we may have a drink called "Neger" (haven't heard that one in ages, btw), NRW has an entire river :v:

Probably because Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is the third-smallest Bundesland and Bavaria is the second-largest, in terms of population?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

If a 17 year old who has seen nothing closer to love than his stepfather's fist and nothing closer to education than being beaten up by the other kids at school is racist, that's one thing. When Donald Trump is, that's another. What I'm saying is, Bavaria has bad hair.

(Let us ignore for a second that literally Hitler is more in category 1 than in category 2.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cingulate posted:

If a 17 year old who has seen nothing closer to love than his stepfather's fist and nothing closer to education than being beaten up by the other kids at school is racist, that's one thing. When Donald Trump is, that's another. What I'm saying is, Bavaria has bad hair.

(Let us ignore for a second that literally Hitler is more in category 1 than in category 2.)

very good, 7/10 points