Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A quick rinse over with cold water right away is a good way to warp pans, if it's long enough to materially cool them.

I'm not saying that my dislike of doing dishes is entirely rational, but I think "use dishwasher to wash dishes" vs "take gloves and sponge to work" isn't much of a stupid life hack. I also use a washing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Reposting this since you guys clearly need help cleaning up in the kitchen: https://youtu.be/XXY12B9xXq8

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I would've just put on some rubber gloves, lifted their dirty dishes on the floor, and washed mine. (Incidentally, I've never had roommates :shrug:)

But then I would be known as that weird guy that threw people's dishes on the floor.

like a animal piece of poo poo

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Speaking of kitchen hacks, here is SA's favourite hoarder showing how to cook a steak without a pan: https://youtu.be/rdnQ0nO3AcY

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

pandaK posted:

plunging my hands into murky gunk water

Please don't be so cavalier about my mom's snatch.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
. . .

There is no macro that can express my feelings

PLEASE tell me that this guy is someone paid to clean out disaster zones like this and is just playing a role. E: Welp, there are more videos in the same setting but different details; either that's some big dedication to the craft or

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Aug 13, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Subjunctive posted:

A quick rinse over with cold water right away is a good way to warp pans, if it's long enough to materially cool them.

I'm not saying that my dislike of doing dishes is entirely rational, but I think "use dishwasher to wash dishes" vs "take gloves and sponge to work" isn't much of a stupid life hack. I also use a washing machine.

oh yeah oops I forgot that was a thing that happens. Most of the frying pans I own are very thick so that's not been on my mind recently. Sorry, don't rinse in cold water if you own thin pans.

Sentient Data posted:

There is no macro that can express my feelings

PLEASE tell me that this guy is someone paid to clean out disaster zones like this and is just playing a role. E: Welp, there are more videos in the same setting but different details; either that's some big dedication to the craft or

it's an act, that's just a second home he inherited or something and he films ironic videos there.

Futaba Anzu has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Aug 13, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pandaK posted:

a quick rinse over with cold water takes care of that

Don't do that if you have glass or ceramic cooking containers (except the old-style borosilicate stuff). Even cheap enamel coated stuff can get ruined with a rapid cooling like that.

PYREX=borosilicate glass
pyrex=soda-lime glass

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Aug 13, 2015

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thank the loving christ #LifeHack

:stare:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

pandaK posted:

Most of the frying pans I own are very thick so that's not been on my mind recently. Sorry, don't rinse in cold water if you own thin pans.

No, don't do it at all. You'll gently caress the pan up. Even a thick pan. Let it cool down to a reasonable temperature before putting water on it, and then hot water. Not cold.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

If you have a bit of noodle or something stuck to the plate when you put your plate in the sink of water you're going to have a bit of noodle floating around in there. When the bit of noodle brushes your hand it feels like a slimy worm. :gonk:

I'm so loving triggered right now.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

rydiafan posted:

I'm so loving triggered right now.

Me too but I got an erection :mrgw:

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Angela Christine posted:

If you have a bit of noodle or something stuck to the plate when you put your plate in the sink of water you're going to have a bit of noodle floating around in there. When the bit of noodle brushes your hand it feels like a slimy worm. :gonk:

Lifhack : work as a dishwasher in a restaurant when you're a kid and you'll get over your gross water hangup in no time flat! #walla #immunesystemhacks

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Scientastic posted:

No, don't do it at all. You'll gently caress the pan up. Even a thick pan. Let it cool down to a reasonable temperature before putting water on it, and then hot water. Not cold.

Welp, I learned something today. No wonder none of my pans sit flat any more!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
LIFEJACK: Lick your plate clean every time and you'll never get dirty dishes or have to set the table

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FutonForensic posted:

Reposting this since you guys clearly need help cleaning up in the kitchen: https://youtu.be/XXY12B9xXq8

Is this a parody of something? Who finds washing cutlery difficult or time consuming? :psyduck:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Is this a parody of something? Who finds washing cutlery difficult or time consuming? :psyduck:

There are a ton of YouTube channels whose primary topic is to teach people how to be adults and do adult things. Like washing clothes, doing dishes, or cleaning the house.

It's a sad corner of YouTube.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

flosofl posted:

There are a ton of YouTube channels whose primary topic is to teach people how to be adults and do adult things. Like washing clothes, doing dishes, or cleaning the house.

It's a sad corner of YouTube.

It is more of a niche that has to be filled because parents excepted TV to raise their kids and TV expected parents to raise own kids. I blame a capitalist culture that rewards companies that don't pay a living wage, thus forcing family to have two sources of income just to survive. So I applaud these brave YouTubers for trying to save society from itself all while making a profit. The system works.

Shwqa has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Aug 14, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HardDisk posted:

But then I would be known as that weird guy that threw people's dishes on the floor.

like a animal piece of poo poo

Oh no that would be terrible.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey dipshit, wake up to the flatmate lifestyle. Lay down the law or get trampled into the loving doormat. Your dishes were in the sink? Well guess they must be on the floor now then did you check there? Your laundry on the couch? Did you check out the loving window where it belongs, you piece of poo poo? Your food, in the fridge? Ate it. #LifeHack

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Scientastic posted:

I've been washing my cast iron by boiling water in them and then running cold water on them with a quick scrub without soap for decades and have never had any trouble. I throw them back on the burner to dry them and then give them a wipe-down with bacon grease. None of them have warped.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mostlygray posted:

I've been washing my cast iron by boiling water in them and then running cold water on them with a quick scrub without soap for decades and have never had any trouble. I throw them back on the burner to dry them and then give them a wipe-down with bacon grease. None of them have warped.

I think cast iron is pretty much immune to the warping problem, because it is :black101:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Buy decent pans and you'll only need one set for the rest of your life. #LifeHack

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And hint, the pans you want are Tramontina tri-clad, and while we're at it, the knife you want is Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife in whichever size is appropriate for you (usually 8 inch)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

netally posted:

Buy decent pans and you'll only need one set for the rest of your life. #LifeHack

I am still using pans my grandmother got as wedding gifts in 1932.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

amityville anus posted:

LIFEJACK: Lick your plate clean every time and you'll never get dirty dishes or have to set the table

Actual life hack: get a dog.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AlbieQuirky posted:

I am still using pans my grandmother got as wedding gifts in 1932.

Heavy-gauge Cast Iron and steel cookware last several lifetimes with proper care and gently caress NO DONT loving USE THE METAL SPATULA GODDAMNIT.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Sentient Data posted:

And hint, the pans you want are Tramontina tri-clad, and while we're at it, the knife you want is Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife in whichever size is appropriate for you (usually 8 inch)

Victorinox are good for a stamped blade, but it's still a stamped blade and doesn't hold an edge as well as a forged blade.

That said I've been using the Victorinox knives I got for culinary school for many years. They're a good point between "good knife" and "cheap enough I'm not that hosed if it gets stolen/ruined by an idiot classmate or housemate".

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

mostlygray posted:

Cast iron is just as susceptible to cracking as any other metal, but cast iron skillets and the like tend to be much thicker than normal pans so it's less likely to happen. Running cold water over it probably won't cool it down fast enough to cause the metal to crack, but definitely avoid completely submerging a very hot skillet in very cold water.

Also, bacon grease can go rancid if you let it sit for long enough. just use normal canola/vegetable oil after you clean it to prevent your pan from rusting.

pienipple posted:

Victorinox are good for a stamped blade, but it's still a stamped blade and doesn't hold an edge as well as a forged blade.

That said I've been using the Victorinox knives I got for culinary school for many years. They're a good point between "good knife" and "cheap enough I'm not that hosed if it gets stolen/ruined by an idiot classmate or housemate".

Fibrox knives hit that sweet spot between initial sharpness and low cost, which makes them great for consumer-level cooks. I only use their boning knives in kitchens, though. chipped the blade on a bone? gently caress it, it cost $15 and I got a year's worth of use out of it. huck it and buy a new one. ditto with bread knives.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I've got a fibrox santoku, bread, paring, and the huge chef's.

They are sharp as gently caress and weirdly light. You'll get used to and appreciate the lightness. The edges do wear really easily and you should hone religiously if you don't want them to get all chippy. The paring knife is my least used but fastest worn of the bunch. It may have been abused by roommates though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I buy the cheapest knives I can find, so I don't have to get sad when the dishwasher inevitably ruins the handle. :smug:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Radio Help posted:

Running cold water over it probably won't cool it down fast enough to cause the metal to crack, but definitely avoid completely submerging a very hot skillet in very cold water.

When I was first living on my own I managed to kill my first Lodge skillet by sticking it under the tap straight from the stove :downs: Split right open.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I put all my hot pans under cold water so I can feel like I'm a blacksmith.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Angela Christine posted:

I buy the cheapest knives I can find, so I don't have to get sad when the dishwasher inevitably ruins the handle. :smug:

Take a tablespoon of bleach and dilute it in a gallon of water. Wipe down your knife with it. Now you don't have to put your knife in the dishwasher (which you shouldn't do anyways. Bad for the handle and the blade.) #knifehax

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Angela Christine posted:

tell her to stop loving up the knife handles jesus christ

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Heavy-gauge Cast Iron and steel cookware last several lifetimes with proper care and gently caress NO DONT loving USE THE METAL SPATULA GODDAMNIT.

What? How else do you scrape the poo poo off of a 70 year old cast iron skillet?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
In the rare case poo poo gets baked on my cast iron skillet (From my grandmother of course), I use steel wool, then reseason it immediately.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Plinkey posted:

What? How else do you scrape the poo poo off of a 70 year old cast iron skillet?

Boil some water in your gnarly pan for a while, then let it sit until the pan and water is cool enough to handle, but not cold. Drain, pat dry, then scrub it with coarse salt (kosher or rock salt should work) or a sugar cube. You'll still probably have to re-season but you won't scratch off anywhere near as much of the seasoning as you would if you hit it with steel wool.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I cook my food inside the cans it comes out of. The only thing I use my cast iron pan for is a tool for murdering stray dogs. It's the only way to keep the government's tracking devices installed in their fleas from attaching to my retinas so they can stream my visual data to their North Korean supercomputer complex. They know I know they know our secrets and I am the only thing that can stop them, all I need is some more money and some more rope. I always need more rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Radio Help posted:

Take a tablespoon of bleach and dilute it in a gallon of water. Wipe down your knife with it.

What's wrong with ordinary dishwashing liquid?