Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Malloreon posted:

That is insane. I don't let people riffle shuffle my cards and if anyone bends them they get told to cut it out immediately.

These games are expensive, don't tolerate that poo poo. If they persist, make them pay for the games or don't play with them.
But if you scare away potential players, the game is just an expensive paperweight. :ohdear:

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"Hey, car thread, any advice for picking out a new GPS for my toyota?"

"Yeah it's called burn you're toyota and buy a real car dumbass"

"Hmmm thanks that really helps my GPS purchasing decisions"

:iiaca:
More like "hey I have a rusted out '87 Corolla with nonfunctional brakes and a hornet nest where the steering wheel should be, what kind of aftermarket exhaust system should I buy?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Or rather, "Hey, I have a kinda mediocre car that one of my friends is convinced is a rusted '87 corolla with nonfunctional brakes but it drives fine and I've never had problems braking in it. He's scared to death of riding in it but plenty of other people drive the same sort of beater and none of us have issues so...I'm keeping it. I'd like to throw a bit of money to tune it up, what's my best bet?"

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW, quick write-up of Exploding Kittens: an ok filler game with limited appeal.

Honestly, I think it might work well for some folks I play card games with at a bar who aren't big game players, some of whose eyes glaze over when I tried to explain Coup. But I'm thinking alcohol may be a requirement.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

"Hey guys, I like this car because it's fun when you're driving with your friends!" jumps into white non-descript van

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

Sure, but that's a good strategy in general. Who the hell cheats in boardgames?

I have caught people cheating at D&D, one to many "critical" hits. I would not play a board game with hidden dice rolling with these people.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

I have caught people cheating at D&D, one to many "critical" hits. I would not play a board game with hidden dice rolling with these people.

I wouldn't play any games with people who cheat, hth.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Rutibex posted:

What are these "critical" hits you speak of? Is that when you don't roll a 1 all the loving time? Cause that'd be nice. Has anyone tried playing D&D with a deck of dice cards?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

QnoisX posted:

What are these "critical" hits you speak of? Is that when you don't roll a 1 all the loving time? Cause that'd be nice. Has anyone tried playing D&D with a deck of dice cards?

There's several RPG systems out there using cards as resolution mechanics.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kai Tave posted:

I wouldn't play any games with people who cheat, hth.

He usually brings a case of beer to game night......

QnoisX posted:

Has anyone tried playing D&D with a deck of dice cards?
:barf:

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Crackbone posted:

Full disclosure:

I cannot figure out a way to turn off their markup for putting designs on the store, so if you buy those I get :siren:$1:siren: for each deck purchased.

Also, I'd recommend doing a once over on the powers deck; I think it's okay but I'd love another set of eyes to make sure I didn't mismatch a back or leave out needed stuff somewhere.

I'm cool with tossing you a couple of bucks for setting up the cards. I'll check the deck for mistakes in a bit. Considering printing out the stuff for the Star Trek retheme of Space Alert too. Maybe then I could convince my group to play it.

Rumda posted:

I think my group is fairly stuck on D&D. They don't mind dice nearly as much as I do.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Just got Hollywood Blockbuster from the geek market for 18 bux. The bgg grogs don't really like this edition, preferring the old golden age of Hollywood German edition (go figure), while my wife is in turbo Ralph wiggum mode enjoying the stupid pun names and immediately opened the box and started reading the rules :3:

I wish more games would feature modern themes once in a while. I mean, trains and Mediterranean traders are cool and stuff but this is a Knizia auction game featuring "Susan Saranwrap"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

He usually brings a case of beer to game night......

If you're willing to be bribed into letting someone fudge their dice rolls then you have no one to blame but yourself.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rumda posted:

I don't know poo poo about RPGs but are players really ok with situations like "the low cards have clustered at the bottom of the deck because we've seen most of the high ones already, guess my next 10 stabs are doomed to be misses from now on :shrug:"?

I would have expected just the possibility of that to make players all MY IMMERSION RUINED TOTES UNREALISTIC

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014
Usually card-based RPGs shuffle discards back into decks fairly frequently, so that that kind of situation doesn't happen

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Sinewave posted:

I don't know poo poo about RPGs but are players really ok with situations like "the low cards have clustered at the bottom of the deck because we've seen most of the high ones already, guess my next 10 stabs are doomed to be misses from now on :shrug:"?

I would have expected just the possibility of that to make players all MY IMMERSION RUINED TOTES UNREALISTIC

Any good deck of dice will have a card that says "shuffle the deck when you draw this card" to prevent that very situation.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Any good deck of dice will have a card that says "shuffle the deck when you draw this card" to prevent that very situation.

Players should just be allowed to shuffle the deck whenever they want. More interesting decisions that way.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Gonna spend two days next week with some friends playing Twilight Imperium, and none of us has played it before :getin:

Gonna stream it too

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Gonna spend two days next week with some friends playing Twilight Imperium, and none of us has played it before :getin:

Gonna stream it too

general opinion is that you should play it with at least Shattered Empires. if not that, at least find the role cards included there and use those over the base game cards.

Enjoy it, TI is an amazing experience.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Malloreon posted:

general opinion is that you should play it with at least Shattered Empires. if not that, at least find the role cards included there and use those over the base game cards.

Enjoy it, TI is an amazing experience.

I couldnt find a copy of Shattered Empires but I was told that if I just make the Imperium card worth 1 instead of 2 then it was fine.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Speaking of ruining your boards games. Has anyone taken their stuff camping? Will humidity destroy every single component of my games? What might I expect?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I'd definitely sleeve cards or take something durable like Hive.

That being said, I took the LOTR LCG camping and it went pretty good. Just gotta hope its not windy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Indolent Bastard posted:

Speaking of ruining your boards games. Has anyone taken their stuff camping? Will humidity destroy every single component of my games? What might I expect?

only take plastic style cards or non paper products (Hive Pocket is the perfect camp game). Carcassonne is pretty good in a tent too, if you have space. Mostly we just play cornhole or ladderball though if we're car camping and weight isn't an issue.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I couldnt find a copy of Shattered Empires but I was told that if I just make the Imperium card worth 1 instead of 2 then it was fine.

That lessens the strength of the move, but I'd still use the text from imperial 2:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Indolent Bastard posted:

Speaking of ruining your boards games.

I couldn't help but think of this recent BGG facebook post about board game box organization

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Dominoes are the best camping game.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

It entirely depends on where and how your camping. If your not sure about dew or condensation just make sure to keep your games in a garbage bag during the night.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I couldn't help but think of this recent BGG facebook post about board game box organization

:stonk:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

signalnoise posted:

This owns hard

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Had a buddy start playing Warhammer Quest on his phone and now he is pretty determined to either get the game on ebay OR a game a lot like it.

Is there a game that is close to that style of game but updated since...1994? I think that is when the game dropped.
Descent or something like that or did those games add a ton of new/complicated stuff?

edit: Should point out he likes the random stuff that happens in town/to dungeons and I don't personally know if that is strictly in the App version or if the board game itself had that sorta random element tossed in or not

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 15, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Had a buddy start playing Warhammer Quest on his phone and now he is pretty determined to either get the game on ebay OR a game a lot like it.

Is there a game that is close to that style of game but updated since...1994? I think that is when the game dropped.
Descent or something like that or did those games add a ton of new/complicated stuff?

I've never played Warhammer Quest, but didn't FFG announce some new fandangled Warhammer Quest? A friend played it at Gencon and basically said it was like a better Pathfinder Adventures, which isn't exactly high praise, but still probably worth checking out.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
There is a card-based version of WQ coming out, and also Runebound 3e which may scratch the same itch? (Guessing only as I haven't played either of the originals)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

edit: Should point out he likes the random stuff that happens in town/to dungeons and I don't personally know if that is strictly in the App version or if the board game itself had that sorta random element tossed in or not

So he just wants a fantasy fortune cookie?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

signalnoise posted:

what is happening here

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

signalnoise posted:

So he just wants a fantasy fortune cookie?

Dungeon delving, chance to level, some random events but mainly co-op
He's tried like the d&d games, castle of whoever, and did not care for it as you only had one level to get and little else going on he felt
Haven't tried anything like descent, seems to have hit and miss reviews, and pathfinder doesn't seem well liked either

Hence why I'm asking I don't know which way to point him

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Zombie #246 posted:

what is happening here

a snuff film

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Contacted Wizkids about the potential for replacement Shades of Tezla tokens/cards whenever the next printing comes around, and got this in reply:

Wizkids support posted:

Thank you for contacting us about your issue. We are aware of the issues with the Shades of Tezla Expansion and are currently looking into ways of fixing them. At the moment, all copies of the expansion are affected and we do not have any way to replace the parts requested. Please be patient as we are working with our factories to provide a solution in the near future.

Thank you,

The Wizkids Replacement Team

So that's... somewhat heartening? Especially since they're apparently already replacing manuals (though their "one replacement per game purchase" policy makes be a bit hesitant). Still, probably worth keeping an eye out and not just settle for poo poo pieces. At least they didn't tell me to gently caress off (yet).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Dungeon delving, chance to level, some random events but mainly co-op
He's tried like the d&d games, castle of whoever, and did not care for it as you only had one level to get and little else going on he felt
Haven't tried anything like descent, seems to have hit and miss reviews, and pathfinder doesn't seem well liked either

Hence why I'm asking I don't know which way to point him

It's an unpopular opinion but I really like Myth for this. You just HAVE to be sure you get your hands on the 2.0 rules. I'd be happy to do a little mini-writeup on the way the game works if you want.

Dungeon Saga is coming out soon too.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 15, 2015

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If someone's asking if they should get Sentinels, it's fair to warn them against it. If someone already has Sentinels, and already enjoys Sentinels, and has already decided that they want more Sentinels and just wants to know which more Sentinels to get, then saying "actually sentinels sucks you retard" isn't helping anyone.

"Don't get any of the expansions" is a . reasonable response if the expansions are all a noticeable step down in quality from the base game, such as in the case of Battlestar Galactica. But that's not the case here.

Telling someone who enjoys SotM not to get any expansions is completely reasonable. Board games are not a free commodity one summons from thin air. If a person asks which $40 add-on they want for a pretty subpar product, it's a fair statement to tell them their money is better spent elsewhere.

Oh, and I'll take BSG's expansions over Sentinel's. At least then your time and money are going to an actually different experience even if it is the Ionian Nebula. Sentinel's adds in all of two heroes over the course of its expansions who provide interesting turn by turn decisions. That's two heroes of two dozen.

Nightmist and The Naturalist are not good enough to recommend any expansion at all unless you're a die-hard fan. And if you are, you don't need a recommendation on which expansion to get. If you're looking for more Sentinel's after the base game, then you're going to be fine with whatever anyway because the expansions have as much to differentiate another as Munchkin sets.

In short, if telling anyone someone not to buy Sentinels expansions isn't helping anyone, then I guess I'm going to keep being an obstructionist rear end in a top hat, because it's not unhelpfulness, it's a goddamn public service announcement.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

signalnoise posted:

I know a box mutilator in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Trasson posted:

Telling someone who enjoys SotM not to get any expansions is completely reasonable. Board games are not a free commodity one summons from thin air. If a person asks which $40 add-on they want for a pretty subpar product, it's a fair statement to tell them their money is better spent elsewhere.

Oh, and I'll take BSG's expansions over Sentinel's. At least then your time and money are going to an actually different experience even if it is the Ionian Nebula. Sentinel's adds in all of two heroes over the course of its expansions who provide interesting turn by turn decisions. That's two heroes of two dozen.

Nightmist and The Naturalist are not good enough to recommend any expansion at all unless you're a die-hard fan. And if you are, you don't need a recommendation on which expansion to get. If you're looking for more Sentinel's after the base game, then you're going to be fine with whatever anyway because the expansions have as much to differentiate another as Munchkin sets.

In short, if telling anyone someone not to buy Sentinels expansions isn't helping anyone, then I guess I'm going to keep being an obstructionist rear end in a top hat, because it's not unhelpfulness, it's a goddamn public service announcement.

You just really can't stand to be wrong eh.