Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Godholio posted:

Why yes, I'd love to fly for 12-16 hours with either a cold can of soup I can't heat up or a sandwich I can't keep cold.

Food poisoning builds character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I ate cold soup all the time in college. Chicken corn chowder, wegmans generic brand, right out of the can. :colbert: That was really out of pure laziness more than anything.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Clearly you should be eating MREs. They're still going with "warrior airmen" right?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I think the Mauler has the Skyraider beat for gross weight.

I was flying to Europe once and this girl next to me was all smug because she had a meal from Whole Foods instead of whatever they were serving on the plane, telling the stewards "No, I don't eat airplane food". Joke was on her though, her meal hadn't been refrigerated for like 8 hours by the time she tucked into it and she spent the rest of the flight vomiting.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
I wish every "whole foods person" story ended that way. And all was right in the world.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Clearly you should be eating MREs. They're still going with "warrior airmen" right?

Can't use the heater on a plane. We got MREs for a few days when the chow hall was shut down for some reason.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ehnus posted:

I was flying to Europe once and this girl next to me was all smug because she had a meal from Whole Foods instead of whatever they were serving on the plane, telling the stewards "No, I don't eat airplane food". Joke was on her though, her meal hadn't been refrigerated for like 8 hours by the time she tucked into it and she spent the rest of the flight vomiting.

She might have had a bad attitude, but I agree with the sentiment. Economy class airplane food is gross as hell.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Ardeem posted:

Fire bombers are loving nuts!

yup
https://www.facebook.com/KOMONews/videos/923255744409425/

bonus pic of cameraman after:
https://www.facebook.com/KOMONews/photos/a.121893224545685.20775.114431401958534/923243971077269/?type=1

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Godholio posted:

Can't use the heater on a plane. We got MREs for a few days when the chow hall was shut down for some reason.

Who uses the heater?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's tough to use the heater on a plane because there aren't any rocks available.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's tough to use the heater on a plane because there aren't any rocks available.

Surely "or something" is available on a plane.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Just leave it on top of some 1970's radar equipment for a while. That stuff puts out plenty of heat.

Why no, chief, I don't know how hot pocket crumbs got melted into the pulse amplifier power supply...

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 15, 2015

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Just leave it on top of some 1970's radar equipment for a while. That stuff puts out plenty of heat.

Why no, chief, I don't know how hot pocket crumbs got melted into the pulse amplifier power supply...

Or on the dash with the anti-ice turned on. Full cockpit AC + full windshield anti-ice/defog = warm burritos and a cool smoke machine effect from the vents!

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

:fap:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I love all the people at the beginning of that video running to try to get out of the path of that drop.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ehnus posted:

Amazing how much technology you need to be all natural.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

vessbot posted:

Biggest single engine airplane by:

Yeah, so I posted the challenge but forgot to make my own submission...

Gross weight (piston):Skyraider
Wingspan (piston) this Swedish WWII plane that looks like a single engine B-17
Gross weight (turboprop): Fairey gannett
Wingspan (turboprop):don't know
Gross weight (jet):F-105
Wing span (jet):ER-2

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I just looked up the answers that I came up with and I'm fairly certain I'm 4 for 6. Missed a really obvious one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

Yeah, so I posted the challenge but forgot to make my own submission...

Gross weight (piston):Skyraider
Wingspan (piston) this Swedish WWII plane that looks like a single engine B-17
Gross weight (turboprop): Fairey gannett
Wingspan (turboprop):don't know
Gross weight (jet):F-105
Wing span (jet):ER-2

The Gannet has two engines.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

MrYenko posted:

omg spoilers plz :ohdear:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

MrYenko posted:

What is the distinction in this case?

Wooper fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 15, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Wooper posted:

In the Gannett's powerplant, each engine drives a single propeller independently of the other engine/propeller. So it is technically a twin-engine aircraft.

There are other powerplants out there that combine the output of two gas turbines in a common gearbox, driving a single propeller (the Soloy TwinPac comes to mind). In that powerplant, each gas turbine is controlled independently, and can be shut down + secured independently, but either gas turbine can drive anything attached to the gearbox.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wooper posted:

If you can shut an engine down and not be a glider, you're not a single engine airplane. (Or helicopter, for that matter. A PT6 twin-pac is still a multiengine.)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

in the K's anyway

thanks for the trigger rear end in a top hat, I just got done wet-ink signing and dating literally over 50 lost forms letters.

(it was mostly As and Hs which makes it even more hilarious)

ehnus posted:

ayup

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
"Too close for missiles, switching to guns."

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I thought it was, but then I saw the livery and was confused :( Didn't they (Boeing) have an abortive sales idea / thought on selling C-17s as civilian freighters? Would have been hellishly expensive.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Too close for missiles, switching to guns."

After Indian pilots boasted that their Sukhois made short work of the RAF's Typhoon in the latest Indradhanush exercises, the British pilots went looking for easier prey.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

movax posted:

I thought it was, but then I saw the livery and was confused :( Didn't they (Boeing) have an abortive sales idea / thought on selling C-17s as civilian freighters? Would have been hellishly expensive.

Up until they tore down the factory that made them, you could buy a Civilian C-17. There were no takers, I'm guessing because for one C-17 you could buy like ten old 747s.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

Up until they tore down the factory that made them, you could buy a Civilian C-17. There were no takers, I'm guessing because for one C-17 you could buy like ten old 747s.

C-17 factory is still going, at least until the end of next month.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

On a related note I was at a family reunion today on Whidbey Island and I could swear I saw a Skyraider fly overhead at one point. It was a single radial engine retractable gear plane with squared off wingtips.

Probably just a T-28 though.

edit: Wait! The aviation museum at Skagit Regional Airport has a flying Skyraider, maybe it was that one! :fap:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

movax posted:

Ask Lockmart about that concept involving the L-100: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Delta-Air-Lines/Lockheed-L-100-Hercules/0533934/L/

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Huh. I learned something today:

Two were built (this isn't one of them - this is a flying boom demo - it's the first 747 off the line which is now in... Everett?) and sold to Iran. One crashed, the other is still in service.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Captain Postal posted:

Two were built (this isn't one of them - this is a flying boom demo - it's the first 747 off the line which is now in... Everett?)

747 #1 is in the 2nd lot at the BMF in Seattle chilling at the moment. She just got re cleaned up last summer/fall as I recall.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Iran is still the place to be if you want to see gorgeous old 747s.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

An Indonesian ATR-42 went down in darkest New Guinea:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/indonesia-plane-carrying-54-crashes-in-province-of-papua-1.3192691

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

ehnus posted:

On a related note I was at a family reunion today on Whidbey Island and I could swear I saw a Skyraider fly overhead at one point. It was a single radial engine retractable gear plane with squared off wingtips.

Probably just a T-28 though.

edit: Wait! The aviation museum at Skagit Regional Airport has a flying Skyraider, maybe it was that one! :fap:

A friend of mine up in BC posted about seeing a Skyraider flying around too yesterday. Also I lived in Oak Harbor for a year.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

SyHopeful posted:

A friend of mine up in BC posted about seeing a Skyraider flying around too yesterday. Also I lived in Oak Harbor for a year.

Looks like there were a couple airshows in BC yesterday, Comox and Chilliwack, perhaps it was doing its rounds.

Either way, it was too cool to see.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

StandardVC10 posted:

C-17 factory is still going, at least until the end of next month.

Sort of. They're in the final steps on the last 2 or 3 aircraft but assembly is complete, over 80% of the factory is shut down, and a lot of the tooling has already been auctioned off.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
This continues to be a bad weekend for aviation.

Yesterdays American traffic control problems, and today an Indonesian airliner flew into a mountain and there's been a midair in southern California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardeem posted:

This continues to be a bad weekend for aviation.

it's not all bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_6bZ2Kzaj8