Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Anyone feels like doing an EotS LP with me?

That might be a fun way for me to finally wrap my head around the rules... I'm tempted! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Does watching count as doing?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Conquest7706 posted:

In response I took Warsaw, destroying the Fortress there easily while using the other two Fortresses that popped into existence in eastern Poland as a buffer zone against him.

That doesn't quite work. Taking the capital of an armed neutral will remove the rest of its forces. And if you don't take Warsaw, then rival (at peace) powers can walk into Poland and start attacking you without a declaration of war. Enemy powers can enter Poland and instantly turn into a satellite, converting the neutral fortress units into any block type of their units. See 15.421 to 15.423.

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
This changes things considerably. First game I had to invade both eastern parts of Poland after taking out Warsaw, and took quite a few hits from the Forts doing it. We've missed that and a few other things in the rules, such as a faction declaring war getting First Fire on all their units for the turn.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Gah Churchill went fast at csi :(

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I found Advanced Squad Leader starter kits 1 and 3. I feel a neckbeard sprouting just waiting for the mail.
What's the next logical addition after i get comfortable with these? SK2? Do i need the full rulebook?

COOL CORN posted:

I got Ambush! in the mail yesterday, so that's one holy grail game down!

Read through part of the rules last night, it's a really, really cool system. I think it'll sit in for a solitaire "ASL-esque" game since I can't afford Solitaire ASL.
Is there a webstore that sells Ambush? I want that game so bad but i really don't want to risk getting ripped off on Ebay

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 15, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Judging from what COOL CORN, others, and the internet's suggestions, I plan on getting really comfortable with SK1 before moving on the SK3 and then full ASL.

Unfortunately for me, Canada has a bit of a drought when it comes to ASL and Beyond Valor and SK2 are both out of print. If SK2 was available id grab that and work my work from 1 to 3. So far its really easy to learn and play, even solo.

INinja132
Aug 7, 2015

Illegal Username posted:

I found Advanced Squad Leader starter kits 1 and 3. I feel a neckbeard sprouting just waiting for the mail.
What's the next logical addition after i get comfortable with these? SK2? Do i need the full rulebook?

If you can find SK2 probably that, although I think it might be out of print a lot. If you're interested in campaign Advanced Squad Leader (aka Historical Advanced Squad Leader) you could try Decision at Elst, which is a starter kit campaign. Otherwise 2nd edition rulebook and 3rd edition Beyond Valor is for if you want to get into full Advanced Squad Leader.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

INinja132 posted:

If you can find SK2 probably that, although I think it might be out of print a lot. If you're interested in campaign Advanced Squad Leader (aka Historical Advanced Squad Leader) you could try Decision at Elst, which is a starter kit campaign. Otherwise 2nd edition rulebook and 3rd edition Beyond Valor is for if you want to get into full Advanced Squad Leader.

What's the rundown on Decision at Elst? Is it possible to run campaigns solo (I assume you can)?

Edit: Are campaigns fun?

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 15, 2015

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Oh my god campaign games this is sounding better and better i'm having a nerdgasm here

Do they work with linked scenarios? Are there battles that continue on the same map? Persistent units?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Illegal Username posted:

Oh my god campaign games this is sounding better and better i'm having a nerdgasm here

Do they work with linked scenarios? Are there battles that continue on the same map? Persistent units?

From what I know, linked scenarios is yes and persistent units is yes. Battles occur on different maps but may occur on the same, I think.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Illegal Username posted:

Campaign Games vary, but the gist is that they almost always have their own dedicated map.

Take, for example, what has often been called "the best wargaming experience there is," the Red Barricades CG.

It uses a dedicated map of the Barrikady weapons factory, and the general gist is this: there are smaller scenarios included that use only small portions of that map, but there's also a couple CGs... where you play through 8 turns, and then have a "refit" phase, where you can buy more units to reinforce your numbers. Basically, to represent downtime and reinforcements in between multiple days of a siege.

Or, my white whale and holy grail, Blood Reef: Tarawa

Unfortunately it's laughably out of print, and often goes for $200+. The US Marines come in on landing crafts, and by the end of the first couple turns, the sea is littered with destroyed boats, dead bodies, and blood. BR:T has so many unique rules, that it even has a dedicated Player's Guide that you can buy to walk you through some of the new concepts, like reefs in the water, coral sand on the beach, etc.

So yeah, all of the above. ASL is great, campaign games are great.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Judging from what COOL CORN, others, and the internet's suggestions, I plan on getting really comfortable with SK1 before moving on the SK3 and then full ASL.

Unfortunately for me, Canada has a bit of a drought when it comes to ASL and Beyond Valor and SK2 are both out of print. If SK2 was available id grab that and work my work from 1 to 3. So far its really easy to learn and play, even solo.

Honestly, the SK2 scenarios are kind of lackluster. SK3 has all the SK2 rules plus vehicles. And if you play the SK3 scenarios in order, I think they start off with just infantry, then infantry + guns, then only vehicles, then infantry + guns + vehicles. So it still ramps you up a little bit.

I learned ASL by going straight from SK1 to SK3, and I don't feel like I missed anything.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What's the rundown on Decision at Elst? Is it possible to run campaigns solo (I assume you can)?

Edit: Are campaigns fun?

I'm not 100% familiar with Elst, but the gist of it should be that you play basically a scenario, and then buy reinforcements before playing the next scenario with the same set of units. CGs are completely doable solo, if solo ASL is your thing. Honestly, I feel like normal scenarios are like normal season ball games, whereas CGs are the playoffs/the Superbowl. There's almost always extra rules and stuff, but it's where ASL all comes to a head.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 15, 2015

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

My social circle is pretty cool. My usual gaming friends are not in town/moved away already so i just fired a public FB message that i want to get my sperg on and play some ASL with people. I got a dozen messages, most from people who have never gamed in their life. :toot:

COOL CORN posted:

Campaign Games vary, but the gist is that they almost always have their own dedicated map.

Take, for example, what has often been called "the best wargaming experience there is," the Red Barricades CG.

It uses a dedicated map of the Barrikady weapons factory, and the general gist is this: there are smaller scenarios included that use only small portions of that map, but there's also a couple CGs... where you play through 8 turns, and then have a "refit" phase, where you can buy more units to reinforce your numbers. Basically, to represent downtime and reinforcements in between multiple days of a siege.

Oh poo poo. I've got a semi here. Does that come in the Decision at Elst module?

edit: I realize i'm jumping ahead of myself here, i haven't even cracked the starter set yet.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Illegal Username posted:

Oh poo poo. I've got a semi here. Does that come in the Decision at Elst module?

Nope, Elst uses solely starter kit rules, whereas Red Barricades is a full blown ASL experience. RB is out of print, but you can usually find it for ~$100.

Don't get me wrong, Elst has a really nice map too, but in a different way. It's not as cramped and panic-inducing as RB.

Ah, the pleasant Netherlands countryside.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
If I've got the full ASL rules and nothing else, can I at least get playing on Vassal?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Bullbar posted:

If I've got the full ASL rules and nothing else, can I at least get playing on Vassal?

You'll need some scenarios, but yeah that's all you need.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

COOL CORN posted:

You'll need some scenarios, but yeah that's all you need.

Whereabouts can I find some of those online?

e: http://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/ apparently

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Bullbar posted:

Whereabouts can I find some of those online?

e: http://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/ apparently

The ASLSA is just a list of all the scenarios in print, but I think they sell a couple packs on the site. For free ones:

Starter Kit scenarios - http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/ASLSKOfficialDownloads/tabid/108/Default.aspx

ASL scanerios - http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Support/ASLASLSK/ASLOfficialDownloads/tabid/109/Default.aspx
(Get the ASL Classic pack - if you play each scenario in order, it'll act as sort of a programmed instruction thing. Each scenario adds to the last one. Actually, if you use Jeff Stahler's Tutorials, he tells you exactly what rules sections to read, in order, before playing through the various Classic ASL scenarios. That's what I started with.)

View From The Trenches - http://www.vftt.co.uk/index.asp - the VFTT magazines have some scenarios published with them, but also you can read every issue of Avalon Hill's The General magazine here, which published a ton of ASL scenarios.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Won as the Japanese again after making India revolt. My opponent just didn't have enough air/ground units in Burma after a disastrous attempt at taking Bangkok. The game gam down to a desperation attack on Manilla at the start of 1943. I had lost pretty much my entire fleet by then.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

If you (or anyone else) plays Titan on the iOS app, I'm almost always on and available, playing as "Trolling Thunder."

I don't have an iOS device. We could try Colossus.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Churchill goons, have you had a chance to get it to the table yet? Is it living up to the hype? I've spend the day reading the rules on a lark, and now I'm suckered in. Political struggles are my wargame fetish. If there's not some backroom realpolitik driving or hindering the boots on the ground, I just can't get wet for it. Someone talk me down from the ledge, please.

(That said, just from reading the rules, Churchill does have one tiny thing that drives me loving spare in a lot of games: Variability on whether high rolls or low rolls indicate success level.

Herman could have easily cut out like three paragraphs and like five minutes of verbal explanation if he kept consistent. "A front advances if strength + d10 > 10. If strength + d10 > 19, the front gets a Breakthrough and advances an additional space, if the second space is a land space." Same drat odds as the current system, but easier to remember. But no, I'll have to explain like three times now that you want to roll low, unless your strength equals or exceeds ten, in which case you go look up another, poorly-worded paragraph.

It's a little stupid complaint, but it's one of those niggles that reminds me that User Interface Design doesn't penetrate into these deep bogs like it should. Which makes wargames more inaccessible. Which means these goddamn boxes sit on my shelf and gather dust.)

:spergin:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Gutter Owl posted:

Churchill goons, have you had a chance to get it to the table yet? Is it living up to the hype? I've spend the day reading the rules on a lark, and now I'm suckered in. Political struggles are my wargame fetish. If there's not some backroom realpolitik driving or hindering the boots on the ground, I just can't get wet for it. Someone talk me down from the ledge, please.

(That said, just from reading the rules, Churchill does have one tiny thing that drives me loving spare in a lot of games: Variability on whether high rolls or low rolls indicate success level.

Herman could have easily cut out like three paragraphs and like five minutes of verbal explanation if he kept consistent. "A front advances if strength + d10 > 10. If strength + d10 > 19, the front gets a Breakthrough and advances an additional space, if the second space is a land space." Same drat odds as the current system, but easier to remember. But no, I'll have to explain like three times now that you want to roll low, unless your strength equals or exceeds ten, in which case you go look up another, poorly-worded paragraph.

It's a little stupid complaint, but it's one of those niggles that reminds me that User Interface Design doesn't penetrate into these deep bogs like it should. Which makes wargames more inaccessible. Which means these goddamn boxes sit on my shelf and gather dust.)

That made me so hot. Marry me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gutter Owl posted:

In a breakthrough you still have to roll to see if you get the second space. If you literally cannot fail to advance you can still possibly get the second space.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Panzeh posted:

In a breakthrough you still have to roll to see if you get the second space. If you literally cannot fail to advance you can still possibly get the second space.

Yeah I get that, but the procedure could still be streamlined for ease of use/memory. You still have to roll for the second space in my hypothetical revision, and with the exact same dice odds--i.e. it's only possible when you have 10 or greater strength (and thus couldn't fail to advance), the odds are increased one-to-one by the strength over 10, etc.) But it condenses the two procedures into a single formula, and with consistent valuation of high-roll versus low-roll.

And I get that the high-roll/low-roll thing is literally meaningless from a mechanical perspective, but it does matter from a heuristic/mnemonic perspective. It's easier to remember and teach a large ruleset if you can condense multiple rules into a simple general case. "Big number good, small number bad" is the sort of caveman logic that doesn't require any mental processing power during the learning phase. And here, there was no reason not to find and use the streamlined version.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Gutter Owl posted:

Yeah I get that, but the procedure could still be streamlined for ease of use/memory. You still have to roll for the second space in my hypothetical revision, and with the exact same dice odds--i.e. it's only possible when you have 10 or greater strength (and thus couldn't fail to advance), the odds are increased one-to-one by the strength over 10, etc.) But it condenses the two procedures into a single formula, and with consistent valuation of high-roll versus low-roll.

And I get that the high-roll/low-roll thing is literally meaningless from a mechanical perspective, but it does matter from a heuristic/mnemonic perspective. It's easier to remember and teach a large ruleset if you can condense multiple rules into a simple general case. "Big number good, small number bad" is the sort of caveman logic that doesn't require any mental processing power during the learning phase. And here, there was no reason not to find and use the streamlined version.

Also irritating is the fact that there's a million extra stickers and pieces, but they couldn't be bothered to make a Truman sticker for replacing Roosevelt or some kind of marker to show who won the Normandy/Central Italy race (extra annoying because it's the only VP source that can't be determined by looking at the board or pieces). I like the game a lot, but there's several little annoying issues that an extra 2 months with a developer probably could have smoothed out. I might actually use Gutter Owl's rewrite next time I play because it's so much easier to remember and use

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What are the little wooden blocks with leaders on them for in Churchill?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

StashAugustine posted:

What are the little wooden blocks with leaders on them for in Churchill?

Another way of showing if they're active or inactive - you can put them on the spots on the chairs that say "active" or "inactive" if you don't like using the markers

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
What are the really good card driven wargames (outside of like twilight struggle and coin). Any really good ones with more than 2 players?

Zombie #246 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 17, 2015

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007
I'm having a lot of fun with Triumph & Tragedy. Fire in the Lake is incredible (when I can ever get anyone to play it, I think it looks too intimidating to most people). The Virgin Queen looks like it could be really good but I haven't been able to convince my gaming group to give it a go yet :(

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Paths of Glory. Hannibal. EoTS?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you want a good starting one, Washington's War is extremely good. For the People is decent but has issues, Wellington is a piece of crap, Napoleonic Wars I've heard good things about but it uses the same VQ/HIS system, so I dunno. The premier CDG with more than two players is either Successors or Sword of Rome.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 23, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Some people prohibit tower-to-tower teleport on turn 1 to prevent that. Seems like a reasonable variant to me, but it's still a variant so getting used to it could be bad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Liberty Or Death GMTInsider article: "Addressing Open Questions". It's almost worrying that they have to do this in the first place.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Liberty Or Death GMTInsider article: "Addressing Open Questions". It's almost worrying that they have to do this in the first place.

It's not an article about addressing consumer questions about the game. The open questions are historical ones. Things Volko didn't personally comprehend--like Washington's anti-Iroquois campaigns--until he played it out in Buchanan's model.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 17, 2015

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 23, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

If you get the turn 1 warlock, going into the enemy tower is pretty reasonable, especially in a two-player game. If you take a warlock on turn 2 also, going into the enemy tower is the only reasonable option - you're crowding your titan stack with non-recruiters, you need to fight and win soon. Even in a multiplayer game. If I don't want to get into a quick bloodbath (perhaps the only target recruited two cyclopes) using the second teleport for a well-placed lion/troll/cyclops would make more sense.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

It's not an article about addressing consumer questions about the game. The open questions are historical ones. Things Volko didn't personally comprehend--like Washington's anti-Iroquois campaigns--until he played it out in Buchanan's model.

Which I read the article and I disagree with his conclusion, I think the reason for the anti-Iroquois campaigns were one simply of ethnic extermination it's not like there aren't plenty of instances of that happening during the American colonial period, and it's not like we haven't seen leaders divert important military assets to wage genocide when they could be better put to use else where. I was tempted to say it on their facebook post but decided not to risk starting a flame war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Which I read the article and I disagree with his conclusion, I think the reason for the anti-Iroquois campaigns were one simply of ethnic extermination it's not like there aren't plenty of instances of that happening during the American colonial period, and it's not like we haven't seen leaders divert important military assets to wage genocide when they could be better put to use else where. I was tempted to say it on their facebook post but decided not to risk starting a flame war

Well, yeah, ethnic extermination is a Thing the Continentals and the later US did a lot of. But that's not the issue Volko is raising.

The question isn't, "Why did the Continental Army attack the Iroquois?" The question is, "Why did the Continental Army attack the Iroquois RIGHT NOW, with a huge military offensive and logistical support, while otherwise occupied in the middle of a war zone? Why couldn't this wait?" And the answer is, "Because the Iroquois Confederacy were in a strong military position, and could have decided the war if not confronted, immediately and in force." Which is something that most scholarship on the American Revolutionary War doesn't really talk about. Historians have a tendency to treat the Native involvement in the war as a sideshow to the white people, when the Native confederations actually exerted a huge, active influence on the military and political landscape.