Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

RCarr posted:

Bernstein is a normal name. People hear it all the time. Why is it weird to assume some fictional name of a book you read 20+ years ago would use the correct spelling instead of some weird spelling that no one uses?

Like Donkey Kong 2: Diddy's Kong Quest. People usually remember it as Donkey Kong 2: Diddy Kong's Quest because that makes sense. The correct name is a pun that unless you remember exactly wouldn't make much sense.

Berenstain is the authors' real last name. I always thought it was Berenstein as well, and I'll admit that my mind was pretty blown when I realized I had been wrong about it for literally my entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Though some of the examples are clearly just people not really being well informed at all, like I can totally understand your mind misinterpreting words and internalizing that, but how can you not know that Mandela became South African president unless you just weren't paying attention?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm not really going to beat myself up over the Berenstain Bears thing. I was like 6 years old when I read those books and I'm Jewish so I know a bunch of Bernsteins in real life. Its not some great mystery that I thought it was spelled differently.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lazlo Nibble posted:

The Yanango accident (:nms: for medical images later in the pdf) is the one that I've literally had nightmares about. So, you're welding pipe on a worksite and notice this bit of cable lying around:

Odd. Might be part of someone's equipment? Maybe you'll ask around later, but for now you shove it into your back pocket and get back to work. No big deal, right? Ha ha, wrong! You are now walking around with one buttcheek nestled cozily next to a naked 1.37 Terabecquerel industrial radiography source! A radiography source that's usually transported in a container that includes 35kg of depleted uranium shielding! Enjoy the remaining time you have with your blood lymphocytes...and your leg!

The SI unit for absorbed radiation dose is the Gray (Gy). Wikipedia lists the average dose from an abdominal x-ray as 0.7 mGy. Estimated dose to our unlucky welder by the time he took his jeans off that evening: ~10,000 Gy for the area of skin closest to the source, falling off rapidly to a "mere" 23 Gy in the gonads. From a random-looking length of cable you wouldn't give a second thought to if you found it in an old coffee can in your dad's garage.

I read that report and it looks like he tried to steal it. The source can only be removed from the camera with a key, or if you disassemble the lock with a screwdriver which is what seems to have happened (Not good design but not exactly likely for it to be laying around). Dude pocketed it, took it home, and when guys from work with radiation detectors showed up at his house he realized what they were there for and took it out to them.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
In terms of misremembering details of Mandela's life, how about something actually unnerving: research shows that the majority of people can be tricked into believing that, as a child, they were once lost in a shopping mall. It is basically trivial to implant a false memory into another person's brain.

Additionally, and nobody knows exactly why, but people do not retain memories from before 3-4 years old. Consider any "memory" you have from before the age of 5 -- it is likely not a real memory, but the result of a parent telling a story about you, which you manufactured into a "memory."

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not really going to beat myself up over the Berenstain Bears thing. I was like 6 years old when I read those books and I'm Jewish so I know a bunch of Bernsteins in real life. Its not some great mystery that I thought it was spelled differently.

This is basically what I was saying, sans the being jewish part. (Not that there's anything WRONG with that :))

A bunch of people incorrectly remembering that a world leader died in prison when it is common knowledge he didn't is a pretty different phenomenon than people assuming the name of some book you barely remember reading as a child would be spelled the usual way.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Remember when Bill Clinton spontaneously combusted while giving a state of the union speech live on television

Hell of a way to go out if you ask me

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Accordion Man posted:

gently caress.

The idea that its alternate realities is totally wackadoo and lolworthy, the fact that our memories can just gently caress with us and just fill in the blanks like that is offputting enough.

Yeah, I hear you. The parallel universe thing causing the authors names of books to get rewritten but not our neurons is pretty strange.
On the other hand:

Stoca Zola posted:

I remember it the second way, in fact I even remember them singing it that way in the theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjXiIZYsGJY

NOPE!

gently caress you, guy. Your universe sucks and Nixon got elected.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

BattleMaster posted:

I read that report and it looks like he tried to steal it. The source can only be removed from the camera with a key, or if you disassemble the lock with a screwdriver which is what seems to have happened (Not good design but not exactly likely for it to be laying around). Dude pocketed it, took it home, and when guys from work with radiation detectors showed up at his house he realized what they were there for and took it out to them.

I dunno, it seems like if he knew what it was enough to get into the camera and steal it, he should know better than to put it in his pocket for hours. Since he was mostly inside the pipe it's possible someone else was loving with it and either got spooked or thought better of it without the welder even knowing someone had been there. No one is going to change their story now, so it's not like we'll ever know for sure.

And if he did try to steal it, hoo boy did he ever pay for it.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
It's a nice and almost comforting thing, explaining those old houses in your neighborhood that you have never seen before today, down a street you've walked a thousand times.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nocal posted:

In terms of misremembering details of Mandela's life, how about something actually unnerving: research shows that the majority of people can be tricked into believing that, as a child, they were once lost in a shopping mall. It is basically trivial to implant a false memory into another person's brain.

Additionally, and nobody knows exactly why, but people do not retain memories from before 3-4 years old. Consider any "memory" you have from before the age of 5 -- it is likely not a real memory, but the result of a parent telling a story about you, which you manufactured into a "memory."

More than that, you can be convinced that Burger King had playgrounds inside, and that there was no crowd in Tianamen Square, simply by someone showing you doctored photos and asking you to remember the events.

Propaganda and advertising are going to get scary pretty soon.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

More than that, you can be convinced that Burger King had playgrounds inside, and that there was no crowd in Tianamen Square, simply by someone showing you doctored photos and asking you to remember the events.

Yeah, I remember reading something about researchers getting people to remember meeting Bugs Bunny at Disney World (Bugs Bunny is Warner Brothers). As far as the Berenstain thing goes, I distinctly remember the real name because I was a really pedantic little kid who's grown up into a fine, well-adjusted adult.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jack Gladney posted:

More than that, you can be convinced that Burger King had playgrounds inside....

But some do.....

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

But some do.....

Yeah, what the hell, the one near my work has one.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

nocal posted:

In terms of misremembering details of Mandela's life, how about something actually unnerving: research shows that the majority of people can be tricked into believing that, as a child, they were once lost in a shopping mall.

I'm pretty sure most kids have gotten separated from mum/dad in a chaotic environment like a shopping mall at some point. Children are curious and wander off, adults get distracted and aren't paying attention. I genuinely don't understand where the trickery part fits in.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

aardwolf posted:

I'm pretty sure most kids have gotten separated from mum/dad in a chaotic environment like a shopping mall at some point. Children are curious and wander off, adults get distracted and aren't paying attention. I genuinely don't understand where the trickery part fits in.

Read about it

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

There's that and also convincing people they've seen poo poo that pretty much couldn't happen. The brain is funny like that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Also, check this out: Derren Brown changes Simon Pegg's memory.

https://youtu.be/jTwCMX5sUQU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Fun fact in college one of my friends told me that back when she was a psych major she wanted her thesis to be convincing me I hated mustard (I loving love mustard). She was...an interesting friend.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

What event is it that they're claiming to see because there's no way I'm reading all that poo poo.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

What event is it that they're claiming to see because there's no way I'm reading all that poo poo.

That they were a) possessed and b) "Almost choked" in childhood.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm more scared of my own brain tuning out things like a guy in a gorilla suit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zopotantor posted:

I'm more scared of my own brain tuning out things like a guy in a gorilla suit.

How could someone not notice the gorilla?

Buh
May 17, 2008

aardwolf posted:

They checked with the parents to make sure the story hadn't actually happened to the kid.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The effect is ruined if you expect the gorilla (and most do, as it's become so popular) but if you go in blind it's effective and rather freaky.

Buh has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Aug 15, 2015

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's all about the setup. Tell the audience you will do a great about concentration and ask them to pay close attention to how many times the ball if bounced around. In the group I was in more than half did not see a gorilla.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
When I was younger, I remembered, without a doubt, being in the hospital for a while when I was 3/4. I remembered how nice the doctors and nurses were, how worried my folks were, and my nursery school teacher giving me a big hug when I came back and telling me how much she missed me. As a teenager, I mentioned it to my mom, asking what I'd been in for. Turns out the only time I'd been to the hospital at that age at all was for a broken arm, and I was in and out. However, another little girl in my class, who I have no memory of, had had cancer. Somehow I must have internalized what was going on with her, and convinced myself it had happened to me. The brain works in really strange ways.

Unless, of course, my mom is lying :tinfoil:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

When I was younger, I remembered, without a doubt, being in the hospital for a while when I was 3/4. I remembered how nice the doctors and nurses were, how worried my folks were, and my nursery school teacher giving me a big hug when I came back and telling me how much she missed me. As a teenager, I mentioned it to my mom, asking what I'd been in for. Turns out the only time I'd been to the hospital at that age at all was for a broken arm, and I was in and out. However, another little girl in my class, who I have no memory of, had had cancer. Somehow I must have internalized what was going on with her, and convinced myself it had happened to me. The brain works in really strange ways.

Unless, of course, my mom is lying :tinfoil:

It all worked out. When she called into her handlers that you were "remembering", they gave her a new dosage for your food.

But based on your post, maybe you should visit for nice home cooked meal. Use that EXACT phrasing when you talk to her. For no particular reason.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

flosofl posted:

It all worked out. When she called into her handlers that you were "remembering", they gave her a new dosage for your food.

But based on your post, maybe you should visit for nice home cooked meal. Use that EXACT phrasing when you talk to her. For no particular reason.

Oh god, I'm supposed to visit next week :ohdear:

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There's a quality of writing out of Florida's Bay-area papers. Longform.org reprinted this Sunday, about the investigation into the murders of three Ohio women whose bodies were found in the water in 1989.

This was so unbelievably sad. At least they found the guy. Poor Hal :(

Here's a version with pictures of a lot of the stuff they talk about (nothing NMS): http://www2.sptimes.com/Angels_Demons/default.html

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On the 100th anniversary of the lynching, if you're not familiar with the Leo Frank case, I'd suggest reading up on it. Frank is the only known Jewish individual to be lynched in America. He was convicted in 1913 of murdering his employee Mary Phagan and his sentence was commuted to life in prison in 1915. His killers drove from Marietta to Milledgeville, then quite a journey by car, to kidnap him and take to Marietta for the lynching.

The conviction was on rather scant evidence and the graphic testimony by another employee, Jim Conley. The case would test which southerners hated and distrusted more - a black man (Conley) or a carpetbagging Yankee Jew.

The fallout inspired both the creation of the Anti-Defamation League ... and the resurrection of the Ku Klux Klan.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Aug 18, 2015

Extraordinary Perdition
Nov 7, 2007

Wiggy Marie posted:

Here's a version with pictures of a lot of the stuff they talk about (nothing NMS): http://www2.sptimes.com/Angels_Demons/default.html

Same, dude. After reading that I just thought poor Goddamn Hal. Worked hard all of his life. Every single day just to get by and do the right thing and . . . punishes you for no reason. Unnerving. (And then for good measure we'll make you a suspect.)

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Wiggy Marie posted:

I'm glad Doug Crow looked exactly how I pictured him. 'Poe-like' was right. Seeing Hal in real life was somehow harder than seeing pics of Michelle, Christe and Jo, though. What a life to keep living after all of that. At least he has managed to move on somewhat :unsmith:

Aphra Bane has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Aug 18, 2015

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

An unsolved murder from 1998: Suzanne Jovin. She was a grad student at Yale who was murdered pretty violently after sending an email mentioning going to meet "someone" she'd loaned study materials to and then ending up further away from her apartment than would have been possible if she had been walking, meaning she probably willingly got into the car with her killer. It seems obvious that whoever she went to meet was the murderer; the study guides never showed up, this person has never come forward, and no one has any good idea who it was.

The police, unfortunately, spent years sitting on evidence and scapegoating her thesis advisor, who eventually sued Yale and and the NHPD over his treatment and won. The DNA found under her fingernails was traced back to... a lab tech, meaning some of the only hard evidence recovered was tainted beyond use. Then, in 2012, new tips pointed to a mentally ill man who had been in grad school at the same time as Suzanne, but these were only shared with police after he committed suicide: http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20121208/tips-in-1998-slaying-of-yale-student-suzanne-jovin-focus-on-mentally-disturbed-grad-student

The guy who gave the tips to police is a documentary filmmaker living a block from the crime scene, and he's pretty insistent; it seems like he's just trying to sell an angle that lets him make a film. Regardless, it's sad that the case ended up taking a second life with no real answers for either.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Buh posted:

They checked with the parents to make sure the story hadn't actually happened to the kid.

LOL, yeah, I'm going to admit to losing my kid at the George Dieter Wal-Mart to a scientist

Hells Naw

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Could also be one of those things that was way more memorable to the kid, especially if they were "lost" for less than 5 minutes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's a variation of that experiment involving a made-up childhood trip in a hot air balloon. Face it: everything you are and believe can be altered at the merest whim.

See also: kids who were interrogated by the police about satanic ritual abuse and confabulated crazy memories that they still have as adults.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think it's impossible to remember things before you were 5 but in general you don't and anything you think that you remember from then shouldn't be trusted. Mainly because it's also possible that what you're remembering is a movie you saw or the experience of another person from that same time frame that you're toddler memory just incorporated into your life.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jack Gladney posted:

There's a variation of that experiment involving a made-up childhood trip in a hot air balloon. Face it: everything you are and believe can be altered at the merest whim.

Uh yeah it was called Balloon boy and it hit national news, dingus!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't think it's impossible to remember things before you were 5 but in general you don't and anything you think that you remember from then shouldn't be trusted. Mainly because it's also possible that what you're remembering is a movie you saw or the experience of another person from that same time frame that you're toddler memory just incorporated into your life.

I guess you don't have to believe it if you don't want to, but it's just a fact that there is a certain period of infancy that nobody is capable of remembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

nocal posted:

I guess you don't have to believe it if you don't want to, but it's just a fact that there is a certain period of infancy that nobody is capable of remembering.

Did you actually read the page you linked? I explicitly states almost exactly what I suggested. The only time it's completely impossible to retain information from is before your brain is fully developed, and that settles down sometime in your 2nd year of life, making memories from the 2-4 possible but unreliable and generally error prone.