Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i dunno if we do HBO Now here but May is up on HBO Now and it's one of my favorite movies, go watch it if you got it

Lucky McKee is one of my fav dudes working in horror currently, always has some interesting characters. May's a great movie.

mysterious frankie posted:

You should do this, except, a thread
Purple Rain was the first movie I "saw" (my mom took me when I was like 4). I'm not sure how it is as a "movie", but it's worthwhile on it's own just for seeing Prince at probably his absolute peak Prince-ness.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm almost positive that it was recommended here, but 13 Assassins was loving phenomenal. I went in with low expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised with how good the action as well as the acting was. It was a great slow burn up to the final battle. Really built the suspense and helped the characterization, although I only really cared/knew about like 6 or 7 - there was simply too many to flesh out in that little amount of time, I'd argue.

I'd recommend it to anyone who likes samurai movies. It's ultra violent and there's blood, but don't expect geysers of blood to spray out of a dude's arm - it's not over the top like that.

It's in Japanese so if you're not in the mood to read subtitles watch it at a later time. If you like action movies and samurai stuff watch that poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

alansmithee posted:

Lucky McKee is one of my fav dudes working in horror currently, always has some interesting characters. May's a great movie.

Same. Have you seen Roman? That's the one I'm always trying to get people to watch, i think on a screenplay level it's just as good as May (albeit with some shoddier production values).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Netflix seems confused

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 15, 2015

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
No that's right

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Madhouse is a beautiful little love letter to the great horror movies of the '50s and '60s, starring Vincent Price and Peter Cushing; in a lot of ways, it is to those films as Scream was to the slasher movies of the '80sand '90s. A solid capstone to an iconic era of horror.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Purple Rain is a very bad movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Judakel posted:

Okay.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Judakel posted:

Someone needs to purify themselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Madhouse is a beautiful little love letter to the great horror movies of the '50s and '60s, starring Vincent Price and Peter Cushing; in a lot of ways, it is to those films as Scream was to the slasher movies of the '80sand '90s. A solid capstone to an iconic era of horror.

I saw this a few weeks ago and loved it. For whatever reason I never realized it had Cushing, I'd have checked it out a long time ago had I known that.

It feels like a giallo in a lot of ways, like a Hammer/Bava hybrid.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm cross-posting from genchat, and I don't know if goon personal streams are appropriate for streaming megathread, but I'll be streaming something of my own concoction tomorra:

K. Waste posted:

Premieres here tomorrow, 8:00 p.m. EDT

About an hour before then I'll also be running through a playlist of music that I feel relates to the movie, including some Leonard Cohen, Junior Murvin, Nina Simone, Queen, lotsa good stuff.

S'gonna be weird.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Purple rain was the first time I ever tits. My friends uncle was watching it on tv and I was waking through the living room and bam. Tits. I stopped dead in my tracks and he looked at me with a poo poo eating and said "you like them titties ese'? Hahahaha". I yelled "no" and ran out of the room.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Appolonia's fabulous breasts being revealed before she can prove she has talent is a big clue that she cannot sing a lick.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NESguerilla posted:

Purple rain was the first time I ever tits. My friends uncle was watching it on tv and I was waking through the living room and bam. Tits. I stopped dead in my tracks and he looked at me with a poo poo eating and said "you like them titties ese'? Hahahaha". I yelled "no" and ran out of the room.

So you self identified as a Goon pretty early huh

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

And you were 20 years old in this story

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Do you like it for the cheese factor? Are you a big Prince fan?

At least it was not the first time I ever tit'd.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am a Prince fan but I like it precisely because it isn't doing cheesy. If it's doing cheesy, Prince's outfits alone have enough for twenty movies. If you just take it as that, you cut yourself off from the rest of the movie. There's way too much going on for just a simple "so bad its good!!!" kind of thing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just reminding everyone that there's 8 glorious seasons of Curb on Amazon if you have a prime subscription

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Judakel posted:

At least it was not the first time I ever tit'd.

How is that a bad thing? Those are great boobs.

Cut me some slack guys I was 7 :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Purple Rain and Dirty Mind are on opposite ends of the Prince Spectrum, and not coincidentally are the best things he has yet done.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

precision posted:

Purple Rain and Dirty Mind are on opposite ends of the Prince Spectrum, and not coincidentally are the best things he has yet done.

Sign O The Times called and said "Oh yeah? Eat poo poo."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

magnificent7 posted:

Sign O The Times called and said "Oh yeah? Eat poo poo."

I would respect this reply a lot more if you'd gone with The Black Album.

So I watched 21 Years which is a puff piece about how Richard Linklater is absolutely the coolest and most down to Earth filmmaker to ever exist. It's pretty good if you're already a fan of his stuff and just want to listen to Keanu Reeves, Matthew McCanaughy, Parker Posey, and sundry others sounding like they're stoned and telling a story about this dude they know, which is probably what the movie actually is.

Weirdly, though, there are no interviews with Harrelson, Downey Jr., or Alex Jones ( :v: ) It's especially weird because I know that Downey Jr. and Harrelson were incredibly stoked to do Scanner and loved working on it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am a Prince fan but I like it precisely because it isn't doing cheesy. If it's doing cheesy, Prince's outfits alone have enough for twenty movies. If you just take it as that, you cut yourself off from the rest of the movie. There's way too much going on for just a simple "so bad its good!!!" kind of thing.

Why don't you make more threads? I am serious, you got it, man. Your commentary is always on point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cause I'm lazy.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Come to gbs for my life changing life advice, because you're a superstar.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

It's sometimes hard to tell, but I'm serious. I'm not loving with you. You have a great mind. You respect and I respect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't looked at GBS in at least a year or two but I'm pretty sure that it's not somewhere you would tell any good, or even merely competent, poster to go.

edit: I mean if we're gonna do a puff piece on forums user HUNDU THE BEAST GOD I do agree s/he is almost always on point, I agree with that

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Sorry if my props made you feel bad, because I'm a gbs boy, hundo. You have my respect. You're the real deal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

morestuff posted:

Netflix seems confused

If you've heard of Martin Scorsese these are all righteously fun films which fit well together.

Except Legendary, which was so forgettable I know I watched it and still forgot.. Watch that Battle of the Damned movie instead, because where else can you nwatch Dolph Lundgren lead a rag-tag band of robots to revolution?! :iamafag:

Green Street Underground is probably the worst of the lot, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the first two Green Street movies (which I wouldn't recommend if you are not a fan of seeing people brained with bricks in riot scenes) so feel free, it's just a Bloodsport clone movie and not as rough as the other Green Streets.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 16, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

coyo7e posted:

If you've heard of Martin Scorsese these are all righteously fun films which fit well together.

Except Legendary, which was so forgettable I know I watched it and still forgot.. Watch that Battle of the Damned movie instead, because where else can you nwatch Dolph Lundgren lead a rag-tag band of robots to revolution?! :iamafag:

Green Street Underground is probably the worst of the lot, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the first two Green Street movies (which I wouldn't recommend if you are not a fan of seeing people brained with bricks in riot scenes) so feel free, it's just a Bloodsport clone movie and not as rough as the other Green Streets.

Green Street 2 also has pretty much nothing to do with the first one. I go back and forth on whether Green Street 2 or Goal! 3: Taking On the World is the worst soccer-related movie I've seen.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
HUNDU is cool because I admitted to really liking The Phantom of the Opera starring Robert Englund and he then also said he liked it. A courageous hero.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I will do that thread BTW.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

You make me happy.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Green Street 2 also has pretty much nothing to do with the first one. I go back and forth on whether Green Street 2 or Goal! 3: Taking On the World is the worst soccer-related movie I've seen.

The worst soccer related film is Hooligans at War: north vs south, and I mean by a very long way, so if I were you I'd stay away. It makes Green Street look brilliant.

I hated the original green Street so never bothered with any sequels but if they're worse than the original they must be terrible.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Same. Have you seen Roman? That's the one I'm always trying to get people to watch, i think on a screenplay level it's just as good as May (albeit with some shoddier production values).

That was actually the first of his movies I saw. And I agree with what you said about it. I'd add though that the shoddy production I think kinda helps with the feel of the movie, since dude's life is so sorry. I don't think it's on streaming anywhere though, unfortunately.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

alansmithee posted:

That was actually the first of his movies I saw. And I agree with what you said about it. I'd add though that the shoddy production I think kinda helps with the feel of the movie, since dude's life is so sorry. I don't think it's on streaming anywhere though, unfortunately.

it used to be on Netflix, which is how i first saw it. great, underseen little movie.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The worst soccer related film is Hooligans at War: north vs south, and I mean by a very long way, so if I were you I'd stay away. It makes Green Street look brilliant.
Are you counting United Passions?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

david_a posted:

Are you counting United Passions?

Haha I forgot about that. I'm not going to watch it to confirm how bad it is though.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wish Lagaan was on Netflix, shooting a cricket movie like a war movie was awesome even if I know absolutely nothing about the sport itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I hated the original green Street so never bothered with any sequels but if they're worse than the original they must be terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD9bvAH1JgU

Haha what the gently caress is this? Why is everything green? Why does the trailer say the movie is called Battlefield? None of this makes any sense.