Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

youcallthatatwist posted:

I think that's what's bothering me about this scene. I don't want to sound petty, but... to me, Rosemaster kind of seems like the author's pet character at this point. She's beautiful, smart, strong, secretly benevolent, and she only commits evil acts because she's selfless and cares about NK. Hell, she's literally being bathed in angelic white light right now. It feels like I'm being beaten over the head with how absolutely wonderful she is.

Oh well, at least the art is amazing.

This is my feeling right now as well. I want to give Gigi the benefit of the doubt but eh...

The ideas are fine, the execution leaves something to be desired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think she was aiming for "respectful but tragic trans character" and slightly overshot the mark.

Better that than the other direction, though.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

I think that's what's bothering me about this scene. I don't want to sound petty, but... to me, Rosemaster kind of seems like the author's pet character at this point. She's beautiful, smart, strong, secretly benevolent, and she only commits evil acts because she's selfless and cares about NK. Hell, she's literally being bathed in angelic white light right now. It feels like I'm being beaten over the head with how absolutely wonderful she is.

I'm reading this post and just... boggling.

Of course this is the situation.

This is probably the situation for everyone.

Rosemaster owns, and everyone knows it.

EDIT: And she's dying in like... ten pages? maybe? so don't worry too much about her constantly stealing/hogging the spotlight.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

life_source posted:

I'm reading this post and just... boggling.

Of course this is the situation.

This is probably the situation for everyone.

Rosemaster owns, and everyone knows it.

EDIT: And she's dying in like... ten pages? maybe? so don't worry too much about her constantly stealing/hogging the spotlight.

Yeah I imagine a lot of love and care goes into pretty much every character, even Bacon (especially Bacon). I don't see how Rosemaster is any different really. Did you folks miss Carrot's magical love-powered transformation into a shining magical knight or something? He even has the same angelic vibe and color scheme as she has now. Shes a reasonable character given everything else in the comic.

You can argue that this scene could have been shown instead of told or perhaps edited down a bit, but arguing that shes some special snowflake character is really bizarre given the comic as a whole.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Oh well, at least the art is amazing.

I could almost see/agree with this argument if it weren't the character's literal swan song. Everyone should get a good deathbed monologue.

And I don't think "secretly benevolent" really describes her as much as "secretly just tired of it all", much like NK himself.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think she was aiming for "respectful but tragic trans character"

Wait, when did the trans bit come up? Did I completely miss a page or two somewhere?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Podima posted:

Wait, when did the trans bit come up? Did I completely miss a page or two somewhere?

Rosemaster's comment about how she used to be known as the male disaster master Thornmaster, whcih admittedly I took more as a "history is sexist and will misremember important women" commentary before Gigi specifically said it was a case of transgenderism.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

Wayyyyy back. Note the pronouns.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow I'm due for an archive reread I guess. Thanks you two!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess this answers the question of "are disaster masters locked into being evil or are they redeemable" question

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah I imagine a lot of love and care goes into pretty much every character, even Bacon (especially Bacon). I don't see how Rosemaster is any different really. Did you folks miss Carrot's magical love-powered transformation into a shining magical knight or something? He even has the same angelic vibe and color scheme as she has now. Shes a reasonable character given everything else in the comic.

You can argue that this scene could have been shown instead of told or perhaps edited down a bit, but arguing that shes some special snowflake character is really bizarre given the comic as a whole.

That is precisely what I'd argue yes. She really isn't a special snowflake character, but the rather ham handed approach that's been taken with her presents her as such. A good story somewhat badly told.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

life_source posted:

This whole arc's had some horrendous pacing issues (especially to get the letter to where it needed to be) so if Gigi gets it out of her system with this, It'd be appreciated.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 15, 2015

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

ConanThe3rd posted:

This whole arc's had some horrendous pacing issues (especially to get the letter to where it needed to be) so if Gigi gets it out of her system with this, It'd be appreciated.

You are the dumbest mother fucker in the thread. Please leave.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

mr. stefan posted:

Rosemaster's comment about how she used to be known as the male disaster master Thornmaster, whcih admittedly I took more as a "history is sexist and will misremember important women" commentary before Gigi specifically said it was a case of transgenderism.

Huh. I definitely took it as "history is sexist". If he wanted to write a transgender character... I don't know, it doesn't feel like this is it. Ah well.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think i prefer when a character's transness is nbd to the story at large, which this has generally felt like for me

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

life_source posted:

You are the dumbest mother fucker in the thread.

Be that as it may, that's got not a thing to do with what I said.

The pacing has been bad this chapter and this flashback eulogy is symptomatic of that.

Tollymain posted:

i think i prefer when a character's transness is nbd to the story at large, which this has generally felt like for me

Yeah that's the line of thinking I'm on regarding that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: nah that's too assholish for me even

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Complain all you want, nerds, but soon Peridot is going to peck Almond on the cheek and you'll take it all back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

Complain all you want, nerds, but soon Peridot is going to peck Almond on the cheek and you'll take it all back.

But if that happens then Almond can't be oblivious right until the end. You're talking crazy

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Nah. It'll be a G-rated Catwoman and Bat... woman. Thing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Iunnrais posted:

If he wanted to write a transgender character...

I'm pretty sure Gigi is a she.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

What's wrong with the pacing?

We're about 120 pages into the chapter, compared to 150 for all of chapter 1 and 140 for all of chapter 2, and closing in on the end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fritz posted:

What's wrong with the pacing?

We're about 120 pages into the chapter, compared to 150 for all of chapter 1 and 140 for all of chapter 2, and closing in on the end.
You're absolutely right, page count is what the word pacing means.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

life_source posted:

You are the dumbest mother fucker in the thread. Please leave.
That's a pretty extreme response for a mild, reasonable opinion.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
conan has been a pretty bad poster in this thread overall, it's kind of a last straw deal

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

TwoPair posted:

But if that happens then Almond can't be oblivious right until the end. You're talking crazy

I think after that "flowers? for me?" comment Almond and their whole fight-date in general Almond got the idea.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Carrasco posted:

I think after that "flowers? for me?" comment Almond and their whole fight-date in general Almond got the idea.

I forget but is that "forget people exist" spell still a thing?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ConanThe3rd posted:

I forget but is that "forget people exist" spell still a thing?

Peridot destroyed it because she was mad her crush didn't remember her; and now everyone remembers.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
RIght. I remember Almond went nuts (:haw:) but I forgot if that had any baring on affairs.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Well, at least she gets to enjoy herself a bit.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I find it hard to care about Rosemaster anymore, as she is dying and this intermission is taking waaaaay too long. At least the art is pretty.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Nah we have to establish that Carrot is still poo poo because his magical girl transformation was actually completely irrelevant to his success.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

god just die already Rosemaster is just turning into the worst character because this obituary is dragging on like the ladder in MGS3 at a third the speed

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Holy crap, you guys have no patience. I think the three panel updates have spoiled everyone.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I dunno if it's because of the update schedule, or if the pacing is genuinely off. I mean, reading it all at once would be a different experience than waiting for updates. That is a problem with the whole updating format.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

I dunno if it's because of the update schedule, or if the pacing is genuinely off. I mean, reading it all at once would be a different experience than waiting for updates. That is a problem with the whole updating format.

No one likes waiting for things, that has not changed from being seven. Having to wait a week for another anything agitates people, whether it's another page of a webcomic, a new episode of hit TV Drama Breaking Bad, or just for your dinner to be made even though you've been sitting here for an hour and there are new people coming in and leaving and godammit what is taking so long!?.

Bad things happen when you require people to be patient.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Nah we have to establish that Carrot is still poo poo because his magical girl transformation was actually completely irrelevant to his success.
Honestly my concern is that it turns him into a sanctimonious Lawful Stupid type more than anything else.

SystemLogoff posted:

Holy crap, you guys have no patience. I think the three panel updates have spoiled everyone.

This plot beat is really starting to drag, though.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 19, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Rand Brittain posted:

Although, presumably she won't be embracing that role as hard now that she's figured out that her father-crush doesn't actually want to win.

Her role is to lose, though. She isn't rejecting her role, putting on a show and empowering the heroes is embracing it. The only difference is that now she's doing it knowingly.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Honestly my concern is that it turns him into a sanctimonious Lawful Stupid type more than anything else.

Why would it even do that? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SystemLogoff posted:

No this is just dragging on forever and should end.

It was a good "look behind the curtain" but I do not want to live behind the curtain.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 19, 2015