Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I am insanely bad rts and found it too hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cake Attack posted:

I never beat grim grimoire

I only got a couple of stages in because RTS's stress me out if I can't quick save every 30 seconds.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Grim Grimoire is not a very good RTS.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

I am insanely bad rts and found it too hard

The trick is to build more dragons than the enemy has things that can counter dragons.

The story and art are by far the best parts which is the sign of a bad game, but I have fond memories anyways.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Although you miss out on the badass dub if you do that, rip.

Eh, I've got a line on the PS2 version, so I may just stick with that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Although you miss out on the badass dub if you do that, rip.

I can not imagine Zetta without his proclamations on how he's a "Badass Freaking Overlord"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope the new Atelier game comes out soon and is good so I can only get halfway through before stopping for no reason.
The weirdest thing to me is Atelier is pretty low grind until you get to the point where every recipe is unlocked and decide to make "the best stuff."

30 hours later you can no longer recognize anything but the workshop theme as silence and are huddled over the ingredient list like a desperate Pynchon protagonist trying to figure out what a Sundry is even though you've long forgotten why you need it.

You imagine the protagonist's friends entering her lightless workshop and finding her emaciated and filthy, sitting on a pile of clay sacks and dried herbs, cradling a jar of honey she assures them will produce the greatest sword known to man, she just needs more time.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

MockingQuantum posted:

Is Makai Kingdom any good? I've never run across it before, but I like NIS stuff in general.

It's fairly rough compared to more recent NIS games, but there's a lot of charm in how it tries a lot of new ideas without really giving a poo poo. The NIS game I'd recommend most is Soul Nomad, personally.

Naturally, Soul Nomad is one of the few (the only?) NIS games that never got a port or upgrade, presumably because good games don't sell in Japan or somesuch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nakar posted:

If a JRPG features a young boy who wants to fight with swords and hang out with friends on a journey, that's good. But if it features a young girl who wants to learn a trade and hang out with friends near home, whoa now Humbert Humbert.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nakar posted:

You imagine the protagonist's friends entering her lightless workshop and finding her emaciated and filthy, sitting on a pile of clay sacks and dried herbs, cradling a jar of honey she assures them will produce the greatest sword known to man, she just needs more time.

She's right though.

Grim Grimore's story is weird, it is like someone's Harry Potter fanfiction about how the Time Turner was the most interesting part.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
are there any good free rpgs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thechosenone posted:

exit fate and last scenario are decent rpgmaker games.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's fairly rough compared to more recent NIS games, but there's a lot of charm in how it tries a lot of new ideas without really giving a poo poo. The NIS game I'd recommend most is Soul Nomad, personally.

Naturally, Soul Nomad is one of the few (the only?) NIS games that never got a port or upgrade, presumably because good games don't sell in Japan or somesuch.

Ideally I'd like to play through Soul Nomad, Phantom Brave, and Makai Kingdom, probably in that order. I've just lucked out and found a copy of Makai before the other two.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

thechosenone posted:

Blades of Exile

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thechosenone posted:

Space Funeral

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

thechosenone posted:

There are a couple of RPG Maker FF fan self-insert games that are reportedly not that bad, I can't remember the names of either of them though.

EDIT: One of them is Blackmoon Prophecy. Haven't played it myself but the thread recommended it to me at one point. Terrible story, good mechanics, I guess.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

thechosenone posted:

Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

thechosenone posted:

I liked this one (the $1.00 is a donation thing, click download free demo to get the full game).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden

Play this. Skip everything else.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dont skip space funeral

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
anyone making rpgs itt at all?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

MockingQuantum posted:

Ideally I'd like to play through Soul Nomad, Phantom Brave, and Makai Kingdom, probably in that order. I've just lucked out and found a copy of Makai before the other two.
I have a copy of Phantom Brave for sale in my thread over at SA mart. Not to advertise or anything, but if you can't find one and want one. I'd have offered Makai Kingdom too but someone just bought it!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope the new Atelier game comes out soon and is good so I can only get halfway through before stopping for no reason.

This, but for Disgaea

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

My own personal hopeless hope is that with Japan's sudden realization that the western PC market exists and is a license to print money comes the equally belated realization that SRPGs belong on the goddamn PC, and that playing them with a controller is just a pain in the rear end with zero advantages over KB+M.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Nakar posted:

The weirdest thing to me is Atelier is pretty low grind until you get to the point where every recipe is unlocked and decide to make "the best stuff."

30 hours later you can no longer recognize anything but the workshop theme as silence and are huddled over the ingredient list like a desperate Pynchon protagonist trying to figure out what a Sundry is even though you've long forgotten why you need it.

This post speaks to me on a deep emotional level.

Which reminds me I should start Shallie...

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

I'm monitoring my posts very carefully, so that I may post 1000 words from FFX-2, on my 1000th post.

You hosed up

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Erg posted:

This, but for Disgaea

Same. Preordered on Amazon, hope there's some kind of bonus.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I finally got up to Escha + Logy and jesus that game is leaps ahead of any of the other Ateliers

so much so that Shallie feels like a step backwards in a big way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

I finally got up to Escha + Logy and jesus that game is leaps ahead of any of the other Ateliers

so much so that Shallie feels like a step backwards in a big way

E&L is probably my favorite of the lot, yeah, though Shallie and Ayesha both have some things I think they do better.

I really hope we get the portable version.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

thechosenone posted:

I also recommend Exit Fate, also look up Mardek RPG if you aren't allergic to flash games

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Trails SC posted another dev blog update.

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/126706403020/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-second

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Working on Cold Steel must be heavenly, comparatively.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kild posted:

You hosed up
time to kill myself

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lol i went to look at your post history to see what the actual 1000th was, and your very first post was getting probated for using the smug emoticon. games was a different place, once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

lol i went to look at your post history to see what the actual 1000th was, and your very first post was getting probated for using the smug emoticon. games was a different place, once.
That's terror.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I got FFT

ps1 version :twisted:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
True End in Xillia 2 is really satisfying. I'm glad I saved that trophy for the last one before Platinum. Just felt right.

Xillia 2's kind of a weird game because while it only has a handful of locations that are totally unique to it and doesn't do a whole lot to differentiate the gameplay , it makes the whole Xillia universe a million times more complicated than the first game presented. It's kind of intimidating the first time through because there's so much exposition and things are that hinted at but never really stated outright, such as Bisley being Ludger and Julius' father, you have multiple dimensions and a million different plot elements that all get crammed together in a relatively short space.

Overall, though, definitely worth the price of admittance. Xillia 1 and 2 really got me back into the Tales series after kind of dropping out after I had finished Eternia and never played Vesperia, Hearts, or Innocence. I've already got Zestiria on pre-order, so I'll try to keep up. Oh, and Nova and Muzet are the best characters.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

I'm monitoring my posts very carefully, so that I may post 1000 words from FFX-2, on my 1000th post.

Also there's a PSP JRPG that's explicitly about lesbians - the mc is a girl with several female romance options, and unlike, say, atelier, there are CGs of them kissing and such and one ending even has a gay wedding - but it was never translated. I wonder why.

Homophobia is a bitch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Reading stuff like that makes me amazed that anything gets translated at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Hmm... Tactics Ogre is a rather ugly looking and sounding game. It's very dull. Especially coming after a FFT replay. I hate the sound of the text scroll and going through icons. I think I'll do something else.