Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honestly is it just me or is the text ultra blurry white on white? I can barely read the subtitles.

You can style Youtube's subtitles yourself :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a little sad at how many people have played the lackluster NSMB games and yet have never given the fan-made and goddamn fantastic Newer Mario a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu-tUNeUK8

It requires a relatively easy legal softmod to a wii (or wiiU) console.

The level design is every bit the equal of Nintendo's best, and the new word themes are inventive and fresh and totally in keeping with the series.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm a little sad at how many people have played the lackluster NSMB games and yet have never given the fan-made and goddamn fantastic Newer Mario a go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu-tUNeUK8

It requires a relatively easy legal softmod to a wii (or wiiU) console.

The level design is every bit the equal of Nintendo's best, and the new word themes are inventive and fresh and totally in keeping with the series.

my eyes are out on stalks at this

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Did they say if there's any mechanic in place to make sure the player can't get stuck and have to run out the clock or suicide? I'm imagining something where you need a trampoline to get over a wall, but it's entirely possible for you to have lost the trampoline down a chasm and can't get another one.

Usually professionally designed games get around this situation by making sure it doesn't come up. IE: if you need a trampoline, then there's gonna be a pipe or something nearby that infinitely spits out trampolines. But that might not be the case with SMM.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OldSenileGuy posted:

Did they say if there's any mechanic in place to make sure the player can't get stuck and have to run out the clock or suicide? I'm imagining something where you need a trampoline to get over a wall, but it's entirely possible for you to have lost the trampoline down a chasm and can't get another one.

Usually professionally designed games get around this situation by making sure it doesn't come up. IE: if you need a trampoline, then there's gonna be a pipe or something nearby that infinitely spits out trampolines. But that might not be the case with SMM.

The only stipulation on being able to upload is "level is able to be beaten"...but I assume there will be some kind of Report system for things like "This level spells out DICKSUCKER in blocks" or "has inescapable death trap"

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

After beating my ultra hard level that makes all the pros cry, you are rewarded with the following, spelled out in coins

Y O U

A R E

A

S U P E R

D I C K S U C K E R

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Sept 11 is going to be my favorite day of the year

I dont think ive ever been as excited for any game as this one

Yeah when I was like 10 (20 years ago) I used to make mario levels with that lovely weird green/white bar fax paper people used.

Think my first levels are going to be breakable block platforms over a huge pit while lakitu throws babombs at you.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

blablablabla posted:

It's pretty sweet, since I think there's very little chance at this point it's gonna suck. Sure, it'll take a week or two to get everyone unlocked for all the toys, maybe there'll be some oddity with sharing levels that's kinda annoying. But they've shown hours of footage at this point, had demos out in the wild and all. So soon I'll be able to turn on my TV and get a near endless stream of new Mario levels. Some of the events they've had where people brand new to it have to crank out a level, like the Facebook event, have had really clever and interesting things, and that's only after having access for a few hours, and not even all the features it comes with from what I can tell.

I really hope it does well so they're encouraged to do some DLC to extend it even more. I've no idea what they could put in it, but I've only had a taste and I want mooore. :mario:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

blablablabla posted:

Sept 11 is going to be my favorite day of the year

Yeah when I was like 10 (20 years ago) I used to make mario levels with that lovely weird green/white bar fax paper people used.

Think my first levels are going to be breakable block platforms over a huge pit while lakitu throws babombs at you.

amen friend, amen

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
My first levels will cram in as many amiibo costumes as possible, be they NES stars or new faces.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

OldSenileGuy posted:

I think that, outside of 100-Mario Challenge, you can restart a level at any given time or even edit it, so if you messed up and can't complete a level you can just do it again right away.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

My first levels will cram in as many amiibo costumes as possible, be they NES stars or new faces.
I excited to play as both Isabelle and Bowser.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I'm a little concerned some dick will make a level with 1000 pipes and 1 exit, to overcome the "you have to beat it rule". Or one invisible beanstalk block necessary to beat a level. Hopefully those levels would be downvoted to oblivion.

Also for DLCs how about a desert/ice level palette, or a non airship themed air world.

Also requests for an overworld are going to grow.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rewatching the 7 minute video I noticed the stiletto that Mario can get in works like the kuribo's shoe, but can ground pound in older alt styles. Early on you can see it suddenly drop down with dust clouds shooting out like a thwomp.

Also I hope there's borderless ground in Super Mario World so I can at least make hills. When you look at the ground there's the green border and that signifies it's a hard wall, I wanna make stuff similar to the 3rd level where you climb and stuff.

Also also, in one of the trailers you can see Mario do the World spin jump in the U setting- and he's bouncing off piranha plants. Wonder what's up with that?

After some time your Mario Maker levels will be expunged from the internet.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 14, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

jivjov posted:

The only stipulation on being able to upload is "level is able to be beaten"...but I assume there will be some kind of Report system for things like "This level spells out DICKSUCKER in blocks" or "has inescapable death trap"

I wasn't really thinking about that, but this is the exact kind of level I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRcEcffvVnU

It's not an inescapable death trap, but if you gently caress up and do the wrong thing, you pretty much have to suicide, or use the "start over" menu option that I didn't even know existed until now.

EDIT: Starting at about 2:13 in that video

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

OldSenileGuy posted:

I wasn't really thinking about that, but this is the exact kind of level I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRcEcffvVnU

It's not an inescapable death trap, but if you gently caress up and do the wrong thing, you pretty much have to suicide, or use the "start over" menu option that I didn't even know existed until now.

EDIT: Starting at about 2:13 in that video

I think that second level is really cool. It's not meant to be a typical Mario stage. It's basically a puzzle platformer like Trine with Mario physics. I think that kind of level is fine cause you can instantly start over.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just realized that the level themes unlock each day alongside of the other things. That part I can't really excuse because I don't want to hear nothing but 1-1 for the first couple days :(

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just realized that the level themes unlock each day alongside of the other things. That part I can't really excuse because I don't want to hear nothing but 1-1 for the first couple days :(

too bad

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who spent his childhood sketching up hypothetical Mario games. There should be a thread where people show scans of their childhood videogame concepts.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I don't mind the waiting time, I will make huge enemy gauntlets with any tool available.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think the waiting time is just as much about not swimming the online "marketplace" with the most insane, complex levels from the get-go. I can see how some people will find it annoying, but it will make for a much smoother curve and will probably result in better levels across the board.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I have no problem spending two weeks recreating World 1 of Super Mario Land in SMB1 before dealing with poo poo that isn't in that game.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Limitations breed creativity. :)

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Only problem with the limitations is that ill probably be playing the game 48+ hours straight after release

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

blablablabla posted:

Only problem with the limitations is that ill probably be playing the game 48+ hours straight after release

Just turn it off after midnight for a bathroom and snack break, then boot back up!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I made SMW romhacks when I was in high school so I don't think I care about limitations tbh. Also hey check this out.

Picture

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Skinny Mushroom doubles as a Luigi physics mushroom, apparently.(ie higher jumps, lower traction). It also looks creepy as poo poo:

While I'm here, here's Pac-Man:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I made SMW romhacks when I was in high school so I don't think I care about limitations tbh. Also hey check this out.

You shouldn't have stopped. Your skills will have grown weak and atrophied.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Pac Man really should have been the circle with a pie wedge mouth.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Skinny Mushroom doubles as a Luigi physics mushroom, apparently.(ie higher jumps, lower traction). It also looks creepy as poo poo:

While I'm here, here's Pac-Man:

Does Pacman have a huge nose or something?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Darth TNT posted:

Does Pacman have a huge nose or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYJ0CD3R7iw

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Silver Mario and Gold Mario give you new skins too. Also Inklings.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probably should start giving out our nintendo ids so we can play each others stages and start calling each other "hidden box hitler"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I'm hearing the physics for all the games are actually just Mario 1's with minor tweaks to them? That dampens a ton of my excitement if true :(.

There's a few .gifs floating around showing Mario World you can't really go back in midair anymore and whatnot.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I'm hearing the physics for all the games are actually just Mario 1's with minor tweaks to them? That dampens a ton of my excitement if true :(.

There's a few .gifs floating around showing Mario World you can't really go back in midair anymore and whatnot.

The gifs are wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSujEFY6NWg&t=9m

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The physics are consistent across modes but they're not 1:1 to any particular game and there are tweaks for each mode.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Heres the unlock schedule

http://www.ign.com/wikis/super-mario-maker/Tool_Palette?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=5&utm_campaign=Blogroll#Palette_Timed_Unlocks

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

blablablabla posted:

Heres the unlock schedule

http://www.ign.com/wikis/super-mario-maker/Tool_Palette?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=5&utm_campaign=Blogroll#Palette_Timed_Unlocks

Day 1: Day of the springboard nightmare levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

Day 1: Day of the springboard nightmare levels

Going to take a whole week to make your kaizo rip offs

• Locked thread