Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah except:

1) At least some of the older models of Zowie mice which did this STILL had bad interpolated that would drop inputs. Dunno about the newer ones though.
2) Every 50cpi step on the Logitech sensor is a native resolution.

E: That's the Pixart 3366 sensor specifically, which is in the G502 and G303 only right now AFAIK.
G502 supremacy :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

2) Every 50cpi step on the Logitech sensor is a native resolution.

E: That's the Pixart 3366 sensor specifically, which is in the G502 and G303 only right now AFAIK.
We also don't use a filter driver or microcontroller scaling to allow non-native levels. Any setting in the software is exactly what the sensor is sending.

These are the native steps for other current Logitech sensors:

AM010 in G302/402 - 80
AM010 in G602/100s - 250
S9808 in G600/700s - 50
S3055 in G300s - 250

Pretty sure 3310 can do 100 CPI steps but we don't use it in anything.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Zigmidge posted:

I don't get it. Some people like shoving things up their rear end, why do they do it? I honestly can't think of a single situation where it'd be legitimately useful to shove a thing up my rear end.

Suppositories.

You can also put gaming mice up your rear end.

e: like my new g502 that just arrived. i stuck all the weights on because i'm a real PC gamer.

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 15, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I should put all the weights in my 502 so I can lift while waiting to respawn.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

isndl posted:

I should put all the weights in my 502 so I can lift while waiting to respawn.
Yes, that's definitely sound science.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I put all the weights in my 502 because I like heavy mice?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

G502 heavyweights club, yeah brother.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

After RMA'ing my G303 they either sent me the same mouse or the new one has the same issue, wobbly sensor. I believe it is actually a different mouse. Seems a lot of people over at overclocker.net have similar issues. Moving the mouse in short bursts makes the cursor wobble just before stopping. Apparently the actual sensor is shaking. Tried to use a q-tip to set it better and it seems to have worked but now it is back to same behavior.

Opening the mouse will just ruin the feet to try to glue the sensor in place and void any possible warranty. What's worse is that I got this one from Czech republic (living in Croatia) and I really don't wanna send it back just to get a 3rd one that has the same issue. They asked me to send the receipt with the mouse and didn't bother to give it back. Not sure how the RMA process would even go now.

I wish Logitech had a local support office for us Balkanese.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The cord on my g500 is in rough shape and I think I need a 502 now. I have a blue g5 I use at work and that cord is starting to show some age and I'm really nervous that I might have to one day replace The Lord's Mouse..

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I need a new mouse

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

strong bird posted:

I need a new mouse

:thumbsup:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

strong bird posted:

I need a new mouse

Everyone is switching to joysticks, now is your chance to :getin:.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Just upgraded from a G5 to a G502 (thanks goons).

Best 65$ i've spent in a long time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

strong bird posted:

I need a new mouse

Snakes in a can posted:

Just upgraded from a G5 to a G502 (thanks goons).

Best 65$ i've spent in a long time.

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
I have a G402 I got for free but it is way too small and hurts my hand. Whats the best cheap big comfortable mouse >$40?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

gbaby posted:

I have a G402 I got for free but it is way too small and hurts my hand. Whats the best cheap big comfortable mouse >$40?

I'm assuming you meant Less Than 40$ and not Greater Than. The Steelseries Rival can be had for about $45 on sale if you get lucky (it is right now on Amazon), and the Naos 7000 is $40 right now on Massdrop. Those are different shapes of big mind you, Naos is more wide where as the Rival is more tall.

Someone else mentioned another big mouse option here a while back but I can't remember the name of it nor the price. :/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Zowie ec1-a?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gbaby posted:

Sell the G402 and use the funds to buy a G502.

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
Yeah sorry I meant under $40. The cheaper the better honestly.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm assuming you meant Less Than 40$ and not Greater Than. The Steelseries Rival can be had for about $45 on sale if you get lucky (it is right now on Amazon), and the Naos 7000 is $40 right now on Massdrop. Those are different shapes of big mind you, Naos is more wide where as the Rival is more tall.

The SteelSeries Rival's dimensions are basically the same as the g402. The other one looks good though I just wish it was cheaper. Can't I get a decent mouse that fits my big hand for like $20? I should have said that instead of under 40.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I'd go to Best Buy or something and see the ones they have open and on display, and get your meat on them.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I got the 502 thing. Thank you everyone. I am gay and I love scroll wheel

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Finding something that is decent and is ergonomic for your hand in that price range is going to be pretty difficult. If you are getting significant hand pain because you use your mouse a lot, you should consider upping your budget range. Depending on how monstro your hands are, you may even need to look into a specialty mouse of some kind.

strong bird posted:

I'd go to Best Buy or something and see the ones they have open and on display, and get your meat on them.

This is the best option if you have it available to you, or check any other local computer places and see if they have anything out on display.

In unrelated news, Steelseries has a new mouse coming out called the Rival 100. Small in size, close to something like the Kana in terms of shape but non-ambidex button layout, uses a 3320 sensor (vaguely the same as the AM010 from what I understand, same as G402), 6 buttons (inc DPI), non-ambidex. It's only $40 so I guess it has that going for it.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Do you guys buy/use mousepads anymore?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

betterinsodapop posted:

I like the huge pads that also go under the keyboard. I got this one a few months back and it is good. I like that it has finished edges, but I've had an X-trac ripper XXL at work for a few years and the edges aren't torn up or anything.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

betterinsodapop posted:

What kind of monster doesn't?

The 3310 doesn't track well on lots of surfaces. I even had tracking issues on an all black QCK because once it gets even the slightest bit reflective the sensor just calls it quits (doesn't track on an icemat v2 or glass either). Instead of washing my mousepad every few days I just bought a puretrak talent, and outside of swiping off dust with my grubby lil mitts every now and then it requires no maintenance. It is extraordinarily large though which sucks, but if I had a smaller desk I'd probably just cut it.

But yeah, $10 cloth pads are good enough unless you have a really great reason to get a hard surface. They're comfortable, low maintenance, last ages, and track well.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 17, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

betterinsodapop posted:

I use a $3 cloth mousepad from Fry's.

I suspect it's not too different from $20 gaming mousepads from Qck/Steelseries/Razer/etc.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Khorne posted:

The 3310 doesn't track well on lots of surfaces. I even had tracking issues on an all black QCK because once it gets even the slightest bit reflective the sensor just calls it quits (doesn't track on an icemat v2 or glass either). Instead of washing my mousepad every few days I just bought a puretrak talent, and outside of swiping off dust with my grubby lil mitts every now and then it requires no maintenance. It is extraordinarily large though which sucks, but if I had a smaller desk I'd probably just cut it.

I've used an Avior/Naos 7000 on a black QCK for years and never had a tracking problem.

Josh Lyman posted:

I use a $3 cloth mousepad from Fry's.

I suspect it's not too different from $20 gaming mousepads from Qck/Steelseries/Razer/etc.

I mean I don't know what that $3 mousepad is like, but yes there are actually significant advantages to better quality mousepads. Also, a QCK is only $10 and is like, double the area of most cheap lovely mousepads, just for starters.

E: Actually only about $7 for the non-mass full sized version.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I've used an Avior/Naos 7000 on a black QCK for years and never had a tracking problem.
I rest my hand on the mousepad while using the mouse (pinkie+sometimes even thumb+butt of my palm). It mostly has tracking issues when the sensor goes over where your palm has been resting. Which doesn't happen often, but it does happen in fps style games for me and that's the worst place to have the cursor stay still until it passes a part of your pad.

It tracks fine on the QCK surface itself, but it really was annoying having to clean it when I don't eat at my computer or anything. With the puretrak I just wipe it for dust every month or so. I used QCK stuff for ever and ever so I wasn't too excited to switch. I definitely prefer smooth pads though and the puretrak surface is smoother than the qck surface.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 17, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

betterinsodapop posted:

I bought a Corsair MM600, loved the "control" surface so much that I then bought another one.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I've been using a Logitech G5 or G500 for ages. My G500 is dying, and I'm looking into replacing it with an optical mouse instead of a laser this time.

I'm right handed, tend to use a claw grip, and I use a mousepad. Wired is a must. I'd like to spend something like 60bux, but a bit more wouldn't kill me.

Could you recommend me a thing, mousethread?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Khorne posted:

What kind of monster doesn't?
I brought this up is that I just bought a new mouse and figured I might as well get a mousepad too, provided that was still a thing. It seems like...that's still a thing! Thanks for the input everybody. I'm looking into that Corsair, the QCK, and the Perixx.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

betterinsodapop posted:

I brought this up is that I just bought a new mouse and figured I might as well get a mousepad too, provided that was still a thing. It seems like...that's still a thing! Thanks for the input everybody. I'm looking into that Corsair, the QCK, and the Perixx.

I have the Perixx xxl mat and it owns. It's really tough and is the perfect balance of control and gliding.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Volcott posted:

I've been using a Logitech G5 or G500 for ages. My G500 is dying, and I'm looking into replacing it with an optical mouse instead of a laser this time.

I'm right handed, tend to use a claw grip, and I use a mousepad. Wired is a must. I'd like to spend something like 60bux, but a bit more wouldn't kill me.

Could you recommend me a thing, mousethread?

Logitech G502 is the obvious answer. Replaced the G5 v2 (with two thumb buttons instead of one) as the best mouse I've ever used (didn't like the G500 as much due to the arrangement of the 3 thumb buttons).

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

GokieKS posted:

Logitech G502 is the obvious answer. Replaced the G5 v2 (with two thumb buttons instead of one) as the best mouse I've ever used (didn't like the G500 as much due to the arrangement of the 3 thumb buttons).

I'll look into it, but I don't really need that many buttons. The 7 that came with the G5 suited me just fine. Probably should have mentioned that.

Also, is this just what mice look like nowadays? Logitech's entire lineup looks sort of strange.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Started looking around on my own. What do you think of the razer deathadder? What about the steelseries rival?

They both have the number of buttons I'm looking for, I'd be able to set either to the 2000-4000dpi I'm comfortable with, and they're in my price range.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Volcott posted:

I'll look into it, but I don't really need that many buttons. The 7 that came with the G5 suited me just fine. Probably should have mentioned that.

Also, is this just what mice look like nowadays? Logitech's entire lineup looks sort of strange.

It looks dumb, but from using it all day since I posted earlier, it's comfortable enough.

e: I would have got the Rival if it were available at the Best Buy I went to.

strong bird fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 18, 2015

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I've been doing research most of the night and I'll probably go with the G502 after all. It has more buttons than I need, and the design direction is a bit nonsensical, but turns out neither the deathadder or the rival come with DPI +/- buttons like the G-whatevers, and going through their respective catalogs I couldn't find anything else that met my criteria.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The first thing I did was rebind those and set it to a static DPI and disable the other 2 profiles

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Volcott posted:

What do you think of the razer deathadder?

The Razer drivers are enough reason not to get the mouse, regardless of any other redeeming qualities it might have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

strong bird posted:

The first thing I did was rebind those and set it to a static DPI and disable the other 2 profiles

Does that disable the sniper button too?!?!