Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I wish less works would use dead moms as primary motivations for their children. One of the first movies I saw after my mom died of cancer was Guardians of the Galaxy, which opened with an extended scene about the main character's mom dying of cancer. It put a bit of a sour note to the whole thing for me.

Maybe I'm just being over-sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

I wish less works would use dead moms as primary motivations for their children. One of the first movies I saw after my mom died of cancer was Guardians of the Galaxy, which opened with an extended scene about the main character's mom dying of cancer. It put a bit of a sour note to the whole thing for me.

Maybe I'm just being over-sensitive.

What about someone who gets sad when they watch a romantic comedy where a character gets cheated on after their SO cheated on them and ended their relationship?

Also sorry about your loss

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Magnus Gallant posted:

What about someone who gets sad when they watch a romantic comedy where a character gets cheated on after their SO cheated on them and ended their relationship?

That seems like a perfectly acceptable to be upset about.

Really, my list of things that people shouldn't get upset about it relatively small, and mostly revolves around treating with respect.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

That seems like a perfectly acceptable to be upset about.

Really, my list of things that people shouldn't get upset about it relatively small, and mostly revolves around treating with respect.

I don't think it's wrong to be upset about something

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You have to draw a line somewhere, though, of what is reasonable to be careful with and what is not, right? Where is it drawn? Is it moral to draw the line at all? How do you differentiate a genuinely distressed person from someone with attention seeking behavior? Should you even try to and, if not, is that a problem? Slippery slope arguments are the bane of my existence but Trigger warnings and PC language fall under their dark purview.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I found an apartment on Craigslist that is super cheap and awesome. How likely is it that I am being scammed? Like 95%?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I'm sick and feeling very sorry for myself. Stupid cold.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Magnus Gallant posted:

I found an apartment on Craigslist that is super cheap and awesome. How likely is it that I am being scammed? Like 95%?

97.345812%

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'm sick and feeling very sorry for myself. Stupid cold.

When I'm truly sick is when I'm at my lowest. Feel better soon!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
It's literally a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath house that has an extra room that could be either an office or another bedroom and they want 550 dollars a month in rent.

It's like 5 minutes away from my job and within walking distance of downtown raleigh.

Like what.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Magnus Gallant posted:

I am currently living in an apartment that I found through Craigslist that is super cheap and awesome. I would check it out beforehand though. One place I was looking at before I found my current address turned out to be really sketchy upon visiting.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Gotta be someone trying to scam my SSN

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Magnus Gallant posted:

It's literally a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath house that has an extra room that could be either an office or another bedroom and they want 550 dollars a month in rent.

It's like 5 minutes away from my job and within walking distance of downtown raleigh.

Like what.

Is someone already living there?

Are there rats in the walls?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

QuoProQuid posted:

Is there a serial killer in the walls?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

I have no clue. The seller mentioned in their email that they were hard of hearing and the way their email read implied they were not the best with a computer. It's possible they are old and renting this place is a stopgap measure. They said they wanted to sell it but couldn't find any buyers. Maybe they just want the mortgage as rent so they stop losing money

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is there a serial killer in the walls?

Write about it Magnus and you can become the next Stephen King.

Magnus Gallant posted:

I have no clue. The seller mentioned in their email that they were hard of hearing and the way their email read implied they were not the best with a computer. It's possible they are old and renting this place is a stopgap measure. They said they wanted to sell it but couldn't find any buyers. Maybe they just want the mortgage as rent so they stop losing money

Can you schedule a visit with the owner to check out the space? Maybe bring a friend along.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

Write about it Magnus and you can become the next Stephen King.

Can you schedule a visit with the owner to check out the space? Maybe bring a friend along.

Yeah I'm gonna ask to see it before I fill out any forms.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

Like what.

That would cost 2000+ here probably and not even in a decent location

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying not to get too excited. It's a great place from the pictures and location.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EccoRaven posted:

One of the best ways to find if there actually is a problem or not is seeing if there's actual cognizable injury involved. Literally nobody has ever reported being fired due to students' oversensitivity.

lmao

dying

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 27, 2020

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

That would cost 2000+ here probably and not even in a decent location

Yeah an apartment like this should cost like 950-1200 here.

@Ecco I'm definitely going to check it out and make sure I get it if it's for real. No one can out maneuver me when I want something :p

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

in case you were being sincere, ecco:

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/116842/trigger-warnings-have-spread-blogs-college-classes-thats-ba
http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ifep/article/view/2370
and i can keep going

and as an arab living in the west there are lots of things i can say about what westernized arab culture tells its different parts that i really shouldn't say because they'll fuel racist ideas but i'll say anyway:

there's a constant undercurrent of ridiculing how 'oversensitized' the western world is (mostly because we're still stuck in medieval times thinking of male toughness), but thinking you're somehow 'gaming' the system if you threaten a teacher by saying they caused your child 'depression' or 'undue stress'. almost an 'if those suckers will buy it' attitude. now that's not to say that the child isn't actually having a problem. in fact, almost always when i've seen this, there's been a legitimate problem worth addressing, which is why the parents/children like to escalate the issue. but the way in which they do it isn't helping anyone.

similarly, a lot of 'liberal'-influenced students who believe in 'trigger warnings' and changing course content and call for bomb threats to universities when controversial speakers are coming in (last year it was anita sarkeesian, a few years ago it was at my school when someone else was coming in) aren't really liberal-minded since their actions are fueled by censorship. but that's a whole other :can:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

When I first started looking on Craigslist for apartments, I met a lot of very interesting people.

The first was owned by a Nicaraguan woman who interviewed me before letting me inside. She owned lots of cats and wanted to know if I would be okay sleeping in her living room while renovations were finished in her basement, which is really where she wanted me to stay.

Then I met with three graduate students who wanted someone to live in their converted dining room so they could help pay their ridiculously expensive rent.

The third place was really nice and in the heart of the city, but a little out of my price range. I tried pulling a friend who was also looking for an apartment in the area, but they had an existential crisis and pulled out at the last minute.

The property manager at the fourth location told me that I would be fine here but that I should "watch my back" and avoid talking to the neighbors.

Then I found the place that I am currently living and really love it. It's not in the heart of downtown, but there are things to do on weekends, nearby metro stations, and I get to ride my bike a lot.

So I would agree with Ecco. You will probably be fine, just check out the places beforehand.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 15, 2015

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Both of the coveted spots in my cross forum temple game are still open if you want to be a mason and laugh at people from other communities

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 27, 2020

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Okay I have stuff to do today that isn't defending content warnings, but I want to just reiterate: there is nothing new happening on college campuses today. There isn't actually a problem here. It's a manufactured issue. It is not a systemic problem and it doesn't deserve even a fraction of the attention its received.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Trigger warnings are gay

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I saw that Mags. Talk to them and see what's up because it sounds like it's just fine though I'm still a little leery. It was smart for you to take it down, though, in case of a freaking internet detective. Talking to them directly is the best bet.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Universities are actually terrified of their students.

You can get away with pretty much anything because it's a huge pain in the rear end for professors and TAs to pursue things against students. Students know this and take advantage of the system any chance they get. That doesn't really have to do with trigger warnings specifically, but the general attitude in universities with regards to how profs view students.

Basically though I think Magnus is right.

Magnus Gallant posted:

I don't think it's wrong to be upset about something

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

I saw that Mags. Talk to them and see what's up because it sounds like it's just fine though I'm still a little leery. It was smart for you to take it down, though, in case of a freaking internet detective. Talking to them directly is the best bet.

Yeah I'm going to have to do some digging. The fact that they introduced themself at the beginning with the hard of hearing thing is a major flag for me. Throwing in something small and inconsequential like that is perfect when you're constructing a lie/scam and it lends to your believability.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Are you searching apartments or rooms?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The universities are charging more and more for something of less and less value so hey, there is that at least here in America. Let 'em be scared :twisted:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

Are you searching apartments or rooms?

Apartments right now. My brother and I are looking for a place since he wants to move as well. I can cover this place I found by myself a couple times over so with him helping and utilities included in that price I can start saving mad cash

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

Yeah I'm going to have to do some digging. The fact that they introduced themself at the beginning with the hard of hearing thing is a major flag for me. Throwing in something small and inconsequential like that is perfect when you're constructing a lie/scam and it lends to your believability.

The part where they talk about being new made me skeptical tbh

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm deaf. However, I own a house.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

The part where they talk about being new made me skeptical tbh

Yeah that too.

I'm hoping it's just a weird elderly person who's not the best at expressing themselves.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

EccoRaven posted:

Please do, because if you actually read the articles you linked, you would find zero examples of people actually suffering cognizable injury.

"there are no examples"

EccoRaven posted:

The first article talks about a professor who is afraid of his students, and has changed his curriculum to fit his fears. He frets about what might happen if a student complained. His only actual example is one sentence "some students complained about text, and later on the professor didn't have his contract renewed!" - but if the author actually had evidence he'd have talked about it more rather than make it a one-sentence anecdote.

"but there is an example"

evidence for what? the university is free to not renew the contract of someone and the professor talking here doesn't want the same to happen to them. the university committed no crime and they're not on trial for evidence to be brought forward. suffice to say vox wouldn't publish an article without doing their due diligence that the person they have writing for them isn't talking out of their rear end. they're a reputable online publisher.

EccoRaven posted:

The second article is more of the same slippery slope arguments; "Will newspapers start applying warnings to articles about rape, murder, and war? Could they even become a regular feature of speech?" (actual quote).

except that's the worst way to strawman the article. look up academic articles on how the word 'problematic' has lost all of its academic meaning due to becoming part of popular vernacular. same with trigger warnings. 'trigger warnings' as they were originally intended weren't a method of escaping stressful confrontations, but of creating reasonable expectation of content. as long as you think those two things are the same, you're part of the problem that enforces censorship rather than backs up the weakest voices when they actually need it.

EccoRaven posted:

Anita Sarkeesian is not receiving bomb threats from liberals. It's pretty (really) gross that you assume the same people concerned with content warnings are the same ones calling bomb threats.

surprisingly that's responding to none of what i actually said.............

everyone gasps

i'm sorry you have a very sheltered roommate with wrong anecdotal opinions about how academia actually works in the 21st century. thankfully you can solve this by asking someone who is actually under the academic stress of a tenure-track position and finding out what they fear or what they think they should be able to do but can't nowadays.

Asiina posted:

Universities are actually terrified of their students.

You can get away with pretty much anything because it's a huge pain in the rear end for professors and TAs to pursue things against students. Students know this and take advantage of the system any chance they get. That doesn't really have to do with trigger warnings specifically, but the general attitude in universities with regards to how profs view students.

Basically though I think Magnus is right.

yup.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'm deaf. However, I own a house.

p problematic that you'd see a contradiction there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

Trigger warnings are poo poo

bowmore fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 16, 2015