Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

What makes me think it's Buzzo is the joy "ding" at the end. Rando is definitely going to come back too.

Who on the sign was in the last game? There's another Hernandez and some of the others sounded familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Amorphous Blob posted:

What makes me think it's Buzzo is the joy "ding" at the end. Rando is definitely going to come back too.

Who on the sign was in the last game? There's another Hernandez and some of the others sounded familiar.

Buff Van Dyke forces his way into your party at Snow, tho obviously whether he is dead or not depends on if he was in your party or not, and I dunno if the dev is gonna have the saves transfer over or anything

Han Tsunami was in the bath house

Lardy/(Carty?) Hernandez is related to Fardy and his brothers but idk if he was in LISA the painful rpg at all

Hawk Hollywood was one of the late game bosses

The 3 that were in LISA were all heads of their own gangs

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

I figure they start with their names crossed out cuz Brad kills them all.

Btw what happens if you choose not to hug Brad?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

brad doesn't get his hug

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think Buddy may have gone insane.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I was thinking maybe the kill list was joy mutants for some reason

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

I picked this up last night after looking at the gifs and trailer. Played it for 2 hours straight and absolutely loved it, obviously reminds me a lot of Earthbound but so far, without the tedium of TONS of overworld enemies. The music is great as well, despite some parts where it doesn't loop properly or at all (unsure if this is intentional). Can't read the rest of the thread due to the spoilers, but I've definitely gotten my $10 worth so far.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

MLIOOBE posted:

I picked this up last night after looking at the gifs and trailer. Played it for 2 hours straight and absolutely loved it, obviously reminds me a lot of Earthbound but so far, without the tedium of TONS of overworld enemies.

Tons of overworld enemies in Earthbound happened as a piracy protection measure. Seriously.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Tons of overworld enemies in Earthbound happened as a piracy protection measure. Seriously.

Even without that it can be a little grind-y. Not as bad as EB0 though :haw:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

joyful trailer looks dope. there's no way that ding is anyone other than buzzo, because any other character that would know anything about buddy at all is dead at this point.

also, i recall someone saying many pages ago that to really understand the painful rpg, you had to play thru the original lisa. well, i found a copy and played through it, and i got to say, there's loving zero connection between that rpg maker bullshit and the painful rpg. if anything, the painful rpg invents reasons for the two games to be connected, but you could easily just start the painful rpg with brad having a lovely father who isn't "Marty" and lose nothing at all.

mostly i was disappointed that people were like "oh play the first game it answers everything" and then the first game is like at best some kind of proof of concept stream of consciousness yumi nikki rip-off. no but see in both games the hated father figure has the same name and the same sprite therefore it COMPLETELY explains why bernard would hate brad etc etc etc

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

I was thinking maybe the kill list was joy mutants for some reason

Well, Hawk Hollywood is a mutant in pain mode...

homeless poster posted:

joyful trailer looks dope. there's no way that ding is anyone other than buzzo, because any other character that would know anything about buddy at all is dead at this point.

also, i recall someone saying many pages ago that to really understand the painful rpg, you had to play thru the original lisa. well, i found a copy and played through it, and i got to say, there's loving zero connection between that rpg maker bullshit and the painful rpg. if anything, the painful rpg invents reasons for the two games to be connected, but you could easily just start the painful rpg with brad having a lovely father who isn't "Marty" and lose nothing at all.

mostly i was disappointed that people were like "oh play the first game it answers everything" and then the first game is like at best some kind of proof of concept stream of consciousness yumi nikki rip-off. no but see in both games the hated father figure has the same name and the same sprite therefore it COMPLETELY explains why bernard would hate brad etc etc etc

I think people said it explains Lisa, the character, not Lisa, the game.

Also, here is a video of Austin Jorgensen/Dingaling performing athletics feats you do not usually associate with the title 'indie game developer'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m0hayLXj2w

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 9, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

who the hell told you that lisa the first would explain everything? are you sure they didn't say "lisa the first will explain everything about brad's sister" or "lisa the first will explain why the title of the game is lisa?"

bernard being lisa's childhood friend is speculation. a lot of things about lisa the painful rpg are speculation, with varying degrees of evidence. lisa the first isn't crucial to understanding lisa the painful rpg, it just helps set the tone and makes lisa's appearances carry a little more meaning to them.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

homeless poster posted:

i got to say, there's loving zero connection between that rpg maker bullshit and the painful rpg.

It explains who Lisa is and what happened to her, and by extension, why Brad is haunted by guilt (and why he's a Joy addict), why he's overly protective of Buddy, why he hates Marty, actually a lot of things. You have to make the connections but they're there.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ezzer posted:

Even without that it can be a little grind-y. Not as bad as EB0 though :haw:

I actually just finished playing through Earthbound for the first time last night, and there's definitely a few points that made me wonder if my Wii was somehow tripping the anti-theft measures.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hungry for blood.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Modus Pwnens posted:

It explains who Lisa is and what happened to her, and by extension, why Brad is haunted by guilt (and why he's a Joy addict), why he's overly protective of Buddy, why he hates Marty, actually a lot of things. You have to make the connections but they're there.

i feel like all of this is either very obvious within the first hour of playing the painful rpg, or not actually referenced in the first game at all

for example, brad's hatred of marty would be more meaningful to me if marty was a super supportive and loving parent, always going out of his way to protect brad, and then brad still hated him because he blamed marty for his sister's death. in the intro segment alone the game gives brad very clear motivation for hating marty, motivation that has nothing to do with his sister, or any other character. brad isn't mentioned or referenced or implied in any way in the rpg maker game, and that's why i'm saying that the supposed connections between the two games only goes in one direction; the rpg maker game didn't do anything to imply that another game about the protagonist's brother would be forthcoming

maybe i set my own expectations too high. i had never heard of the rpg maker game prior to playing the painful rpg, and i was hoping that a lot of the stuff the painful rpg alludes to (the white flash, who dr. yado and buzzo really are, etc etc) would be fleshed out or at least hinted at in the rpg maker game. to have the rpg maker game be so self contained (and so minimalist) was really disappointing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, the original Lisa is a world of jank (though still better than most other Yume Nikki clones out there), and I'd say the only element of the RPG it really sheds light on is Brad's constant paranoia that someone will sexually abuse Buddy, which can be explained just as well by the "last living woman" thing. The Painful RPG does a good enough job establishing what a vicious piece of poo poo Marty is in the first five minutes.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Other than the easily missable part in the intro where you can walk into the room with baby lisa in it does the painful rpg ever explain (or even hint at) who lisa is?

I could easily see someone who didn't know that being pointed in the direction of "hey play the first game".

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

homeless poster posted:

maybe i set my own expectations too high. i had never heard of the rpg maker game prior to playing the painful rpg, and i was hoping that a lot of the stuff the painful rpg alludes to (the white flash, who dr. yado and buzzo really are, etc etc) would be fleshed out or at least hinted at in the rpg maker game. to have the rpg maker game be so self contained (and so minimalist) was really disappointing

Yeah, that's about right. The original is alright for what it is, but it doesn't really hold up all that well as an extension of the painful rpg - that is, beyond it being another way of looking at the themes of abuse. Honestly, if I were recommending Lisa to someone, I'd probably tell them not to bother with the original until they're done with the painful rpg(if at all), just because Brad's backstory is so much more compelling when it's delivered piece by piece, and without any foreknowledge of who Lisa is.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's some thematic connections. things like how lisa was constantly kept inside her room with no escape is a direct parallel to how brad kept buddy inside the basement and how buddy felt when she had a chance to make her own decisions.

if you get all the VHS tapes the ending of lisa the first could maybe possibly be pointing to brad in a speculative kind of way

when introducing the game to my friends i always just say "by the way there is a prequel game, it's not particularly worth checking out, pretty much all you need to know is brad has a sister named lisa who was physically, emotionally, and sexually abused by her father. she's the character on the main menu, which also tells you what eventually happened to her."

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

The only major connections imo are the Marty spiders and why you can't just let Marty go at the end, as well as Brad's fears of Buddy's safety as said by another poster(good insight.)

What also stood out to me is how in the first, you play as Marty for a screen and see him happily playing with Lisa. This could be sincere, or it could also be manipulative, and it's equally as jarring to see him playing with Buddy.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

does he play with buddy? i mostly just remember him being overall the only person not interested in banging her and telling her not to take the joy.

it's noteable that when we see marty again, he's still very obviously very alcoholic (there's beer bottles all loving over his island) and he still just sits around and watches tv all day.

actually, was he watching tv? or just staring at the wall or something

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Watched a full Lets Play of the 2nd game, was really impressed. Normally dont watch LP's, but OOH HUH, OOH HUH, OOH HUH, OOH HUH OOH HUH OOH HUH

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the best song in the game tbh

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dandywalken posted:

Watched a full Lets Play of the 2nd game, was really impressed. Normally dont watch LP's, but OOH HUH, OOH HUH, OOH HUH, OOH HUH OOH HUH OOH HUH

Link? The LP,I mean.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Slowbeef has a good one on his channel

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

I think the two of the best soundtracks are when Nern rambles about his dumb potato bitch wife and when the child prays to Ronald Mcdonald for a combo meal. They both sound religious and enlightening and it's SO insincere. The Wally ones also kind of unnerve you in preparation for the crazy boss fight.

Highway King is also pretty great, as is most of the Boss music.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

frankly there isn't really a bad track in LISA and it's one of the more impressive features of the game. it's just the OOH HUH one captures the spirit of a cave packed full of men lifting weights at the end of the world really well

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Just was wondering, since I was watching slowbeef's run of this game, but if you don't pick up any of the items before the first choice, can you just go back and get them without consequence?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Just was wondering, since I was watching slowbeef's run of this game, but if you don't pick up any of the items before the first choice, can you just go back and get them without consequence?

Probably? It'd be a pretty minor exploit if so; the items matter very little at that point, although for that matter Terry's no great shakes either.

The funny thing is the game acts like Buzzo ups the stakes later by wanting your arms but really the biggest price of even losing both arms is that ropes take longer to climb.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Yep.

Also, the best track in the game is the one that plays when you fight Satan, Exploding Hearts.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

None of it's even worth doing it for, even on hard.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The beginning of the game is a lot faster with all that money and poo poo actually

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It's what, like 3 or 4 jerky and 20 mags? That's like 3 fights against shadowy figures

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Or you just sell Terry off because those items and the exp he provides as a later fight are worth more than him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
What kind of monster sells out Terry? :colbert:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Accordion Man posted:

What kind of monster sells out Terry? :colbert:

I just wanted to give you hints, man!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Dingaling said that the part of the game that made him the saddest was fighting Terry and Shockmaster at the end so if you have anything against them, you're wrong. :colbert:

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Sometimes it just repeats the Columbo sequence, but I'm not sure if that's a bug or not.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Or you just sell Terry off because those items and the exp he provides as a later fight are worth more than him.

It's a lot of fun just making GBS threads on later game enemies with him and Birdie tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Doctor Goat posted:

It's what, like 3 or 4 jerky and 20 mags? That's like 3 fights against shadowy figures

There's a stack of 50 mags in one of the first caves so you can pick up Rage as soon as you get to town

• Locked thread