Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Give the man his player!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Done.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Got to make my last pick before I left the country, sweet!

Some draft commentary:

Round One: My draft philosophy is always go for the Best Player Available, one that can be top 5 in their position. I really wanted a top three pick, alas it didn't happen. Perriman was the player I settled for. I think Baltimore might hold him back a little, but I liked him better than Dorsett because I think Moncrief is the #1 Colts receiver of the future. I think the RBs available had situations I didn't like in comparison.

Round Two: Wanted Funchess or one of the RBs but they didn't drop. Always intended to get Mariota with one of my back to back picks if available, I think if you believe a talent can become a top one, gently caress positional value. Don't like his team, but I don't think he's going to fail in the NFL. At the very least he can turn into a solid QB2. I took Maxx Williams because he seemed the best talent available, plus Flacco likes his TEs. Was really hoping to grab Walford much later, this was kinda insurance in case that didn't happen.

Round Three: I needed some RB depth so I chose Helu because he is a proven commodity in a situation where he has a possibility to start. But then again, Raiders. :(

Round Four: I didn't know the Saints signed Spiller when I drafted Khiry! Oh well, I think he's talented, he can handcuff Ingram, and if he ever gets traded to the Cowboys, I'll be a champ. Probably should've grabbed Walford instead.

Round Five: Eagles D on a gut feeling.

Round Six and Seven: Took Virgil Green because of a possible explosive situation and took Jared Cook because I think he could do better. There are better picks, but they are WRs and I'm stacked.

I don't feel great about it, like I did last year, but I'm happy about Mariota.

Nawid fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 2, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Welp bigfoot again, let us know who you want.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
I have no idea if my rookies are good but what the hell right?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

i want nobody

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Nawid already has 24 players, so unless someone cares I'll skip his last pick and end the draft with mine.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nawid already has 24 players, so unless someone cares I'll skip his last pick and end the draft with mine.

Sounds good to me.

Why do I only have 23 players though....

Edit: nvm, it's because I traded away my second round pick last year.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here was my approach:

1.08 - DeVante Parker. Value. Contemplated Agholor, but I think Parker is the better talent. Absolutely elite potential in a rising offense.

1.12 - Phillip Dorsett. Pure value pick. Duke Johnson was also under consideration but the Browns remain a shitshow. The Colts are a high power offense with loaded weapons and yet they still drafted this guy in the first round. That tells me they intend to use him.

2.08 - Devin Funchess. BPA once again. Alternatively would've gone Mariota, but I didn't expect Nawid to draft another QB. I like his upside and his opportunity in Carolina as the WR2 almost immediately.

2.12 - Kendall Wright. Immediately traded him and Terrance Williams for Ryan Tannehill, so I think it's a good value especially given how loaded I am at WR. Even without the trade this was a logical pickup, as Wright is expected to see a lot of targets in spite of his conflict with the coaching staff.

3.12 - Cameron Artis-Payne. Debated between getting the backup in Carolina and a DST, but I like his opportunity.

4.12 - Patriots DST. Not happy with getting one in the 4th, but better than waiting until the 7th.

7.12 - Brock Osweiler. Maybe I'm secretly a Twilight fan or something, I don't know. He's my good luck charm. All signs point to him being the heir apparent behind Manning, and given the weapons in Denver if Osweiler is any good this will be an opportunity.

8.07 - Ray Rice. By the end of training camp he could be the steal of the draft, or the guy I drop for Tim Tebow.

8.12 - Zac Stacy. The Jets did trade for him, and frankly he's demonstrated the ability to hold a workload. More important Stevan Ridley is old and injury prone, Chris Ivory doesn't seem to be particularly liked by the coaching staff, and he cost me nothing to pick up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The calendar indicates we're not getting any waiver claims until after the first week. However in the OP it says we move on to waivers afterwards. Were those first come first served? Should I add that to the schedule?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The calendar indicates we're not getting any waiver claims until after the first week. However in the OP it says we move on to waivers afterwards. Were those first come first served? Should I add that to the schedule?

I'd like to have 24 players before week 1 please.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Once again, I'm cool with whatever.

Don't see why the waiver wire shouldn't be open now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Might want to cycle daily waivers or something vs fcfs for the offseason, but dunno what you guys have done historically. Kinda helps with the "Guy with a direct neural interface to twitter" vs "Guy with a job" fairness

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azhais posted:

Might want to cycle daily waivers or something vs fcfs for the offseason, but dunno what you guys have done historically. Kinda helps with the "Guy with a direct neural interface to twitter" vs "Guy with a job" fairness

Last year we did daily, so I'll swap that out now.

Okay, daily waivers have been implemented. That was fun. Starting tonight at 9PM eastern until 9PM on Wednesday, September 9th. Then it behaves like the regular season; FCFS until Monday at 11PM, waiver until Wednesday at 9PM, then FCFS and so forth.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 3, 2015

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
My Draft Strategy
1.02 - Todd Gurley - My WR corps is already pretty well covered, so getting RB was a no brainer given the tiers.
1.06 - Ameer Abdullah - WR was pretty deep, and grabbing winston this early was kind of silly - went with the next best shot at RB
3.06 - Carson Palmer - Brady insurance for the first few weeks
4.06 - Miami Dolphins DEF - The greatest football team, and about time that I picked up some middle-tier defense
5.06 - Stevie Johnson - Worth a flier given the current status of my WR corps, can only stand to help
6.06 - Nick Toon - same deal, might get some decent snaps this year, no reason to believe he'll be started every week but potential investment with the second year
7.06 - Niles Paul - Strengthening depth at TE
8.06 - Marlon Brown - mainly just grabbing someone who might get some looks.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

My draft strategy

1.08 and 2.08 -- Help make B4TBG's roster even more ridiculously good than before
3.08 -- Jay Cutler -- Insurance against Brees getting old and Bortles being bad. (I hosed up in not drafting Langford here, didn't realize he was available)
4.08 -- Alfred Blue -- Backup to Arian Foster, who does seem to get hurt a lot lately. Seemed like the best option among available running backs to see significant playing time this season.
5.08 -- Kamar Aiken -- rookie receiver who has been tearing up OTA's on a team with a dearth of receiver talent
6.08 -- Ty Montgomery -- 3rd round rookie Packer's receiver. Picked him up because the Packers are great at developing young receivers and if they do well, they always end up getting playing time right away.
6.12 -- EJ Manuel -- Lottery pick. He has a ton of talent at running back and wide receiver around him. He's my fourth QB, and is going into his third year with a new coaching staff. If he pans out, great. If not, no harm done.
7.08 -- Jacob Tamme -- Probably ends up starting in Atlanta and is a solid, if unspectacular, TE. He's insurance for Gates suspension and Cameron's brains oozing out of his head mid-season.
8.08 -- Tre McBride -- Rookie receiver with tons of upside. If DGB flames out, and Justin Hunter continues to be Justin Hunter, he could end up being the steal of this draft.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

So, is everybody paid up?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I haven't paid yet. I'll take care of it this week, once I get paid. Sorry for the delay.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'll check on stuff tonight.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I need to pay up.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Me too.

Also football was on last night. Praise

OhSnapGangsta
Jun 24, 2006

All the arms we need are for hugging
Eddie Royal the best 8th round pick up? Alshon Jeffery and Kevin White both out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OhSnapGangsta posted:

Eddie Royal the best 8th round pick up? Alshon Jeffery and Kevin White both out.

Definitely got some solid value there. Nice work.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Randall Cobb, come on down!!!!

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

jabro posted:

Jeff Janis, come on down!!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jabro posted:

Davante Adams, come on down!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

jabro posted:

Ty Montgomery, come on down!!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
For some reason EJ Manuel and Terelle Pryor are locked. I would like to unlock them and pick up Terelle Pryor off of waivers. Does anyone have a problem with me doing this? It says "Hint: League Rules State That A Dropped Player Is Locked Until The Following Sun at 2 p.m. ET Before He May Be Picked Up Again"

I don't know why this is the case for the preseason and I don't know how to change it. Anyone know why?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
They were dropped on Monday, they unlock on Sunday. When Sunday rolls around, you can submit a waiver request for the next day via a standard daily waivers process.

If we want to change the duration of player locks, then that should be discussed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It doesn't appear to be duration based. It's Sunday for some folks, yet I was able to pick up Dalton after he was dropped. Or is it always Sunday?

I am cool with whatever the rules are, I just want to know what they are.

Also: holy poo poo Green Bay.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 30, 2015

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Check the settings in waiver rules setup, it's the next Sunday after a drop right now.

Dalton was dropped last Friday, the others were dropped on Monday

Alucard fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 30, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fair enough. Good catch.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'd be happy to switch it to a length based lock players period to avoid any potential player cockblocking during the season, but would want to check if others agree with such a change.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Alucard posted:

I'd be happy to switch it to a length based lock players period to avoid any potential player cockblocking during the season, but would want to check if others agree with such a change.

I think it's mostly an issue in preseason, since players are locked until Wednesday during the regular season. Right?

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
So when can I put in a claim for dalton?

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Feel like I missed on a lot of preseason waivers, being overseas and all. Doesn't sound like my draft picks are starting too hot either. Wanted to dangle a WR for a big trade but Benjamin's injury means I could use everyone.

Offseason does not leave me feeling good like last year. :bang:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Papes posted:

So when can I put in a claim for dalton?

Today after 2PM.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009
Karlos Williams fuckyeah

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Get pumped boys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012