Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

The JLs are in basic 2011 N52 mode, not their new status quos.

Not just in costume and status quo but in character as well. Hitch's JL are kind of jerks who don't really get along like in the early issues of Johns' JL before he got it together post FE and actually starting writing them as friends.

I'm not that keen on Hitch's JLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

So I guess Martian Manhunter doesn't have an issue in November. A shame that they missed the best possible variant for that book ever.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

TwoPair posted:

So I guess Martian Manhunter doesn't have an issue in November. A shame that they missed the best possible variant for that book ever.

Oh man, J'onn looking through that big telescope with Bugs on top of it eating a carrot would've been amazing.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Cyborg one is the best thing ever :allears:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Apparently the costume's back for Superman #46 and Howard Porter's on art (no clue if he's just filling in.)
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-cover-and-solicit-reveal-superman-46/1100-153237/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 15, 2015

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

These are great! But why doesn't Gotham Academy have one? :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Probably Magic posted:

These are great! But why doesn't Gotham Academy have one? :(

Real reason? Comics with dim futures don't get snazzy variants. They didn't get a Bombshells variant either.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Real reason? Comics with dim futures don't get snazzy variants. They didn't get a Bombshells variant either.

But Gotham Academy has a bright future

in my heart.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If Gotham Academy gets canceled in a world where both Red Hood and Harley Quinn still have comics coming out then there is truly no justice in this world

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

They didn't get a Bombshells variant either.
I think there's another reason why Gotham Academy didn't get a bombshell cover:ssh:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TwoPair posted:

If Gotham Academy gets canceled in a world where both Red Hood and Harley Quinn still have comics coming out then there is truly no justice in this world

I have no real dog in the fight, but if Gotham Academy gets canceled, gently caress this world. I'm finding the vibrational frequency that sends me to the world where Prez is a best seller.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I've been enjoying Judd Winick's Green Arrow quite a bit! But then Dr. Light came in and everything he says is, "I'm going to rape you in your rape-hole because I'm a rapist who rapes!!!!" and it is very bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's the one where Ollie says something like, "You're a complete sicko, Light," and he immediately replies, "Why? Because I rape? :smug:"

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

Gotham Academy may not be a big seller, but DC has a clear vested interest in it as part of their diversification/DCYou lineup. Plus Batman-related books always survive longer than usual for the obvious reasons.

(And really if they kept poor sellers like Batwoman and RHATO on life support as long as they did, Gotham Academy deserves it too.)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's the one where Ollie says something like, "You're a complete sicko, Light," and he immediately replies, "Why? Because I rape? :smug:"

"It's what happens when your 1944 brain can't process present-day anything."

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I think it's more that the audience for Gotham Academy is at best a trade paperback and digital audience. Neckbeard collectors who buy variant covers don't read comics about young girls because feminist agenda blah blah blah.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I wasn't aware anybody actually bought variant covers, I thought we all just looked at them on the Internet and remarked about how cool/bad they were.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

I wasn't aware anybody actually bought variant covers, I thought we all just looked at them on the Internet and remarked about how cool/bad they were.

I occasionally find ones that I think to myself look cool that I'd totally love to own but then I realize I might need to put in effort to find them, like ordering it online or reserving one with my LCS and then I just go gently caress it and buy the regular cover/buy a digital copy :effort:.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Travis343 posted:

I used to when I was a dumb kid. I had EVERY Hush cover. Now I always see them bagged and priced way up at shops the day they come out.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Travis343 posted:

I buy variants if I like the series and want something special. I actually own a couple Gotham Academy variants that Becky Cloonan made.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wendell posted:

I've been enjoying Judd Winick's Green Arrow quite a bit! But then Dr. Light came in and everything he says is, "I'm going to rape you in your rape-hole because I'm a rapist who rapes!!!!" and it is very bad.

Wait that does not make any sense with Nu Dr Light. Nu Dr Light is like some sort of Energy being due to Super Man killing him by mistake or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait that does not make any sense with Nu Dr Light. Nu Dr Light is like some sort of Energy being due to Super Man killing him by mistake or something.

That is old Dr Light who at that point was just being written as Mr. Rape.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, this is from back in 2006!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Judd Winick is one of my favorite GA writers but I've come to dislike how he wrote his villains and that Dr. Light was one of the worst instances.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Judd Winick is one of my favorite GA writers but I've come to dislike how he wrote his villains and that Dr. Light was one of the worst instances.

In the top ten worse uses of Dr. Light that is not even the top 10.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'd like to hear about the worse ones! Because seriously, in Green Arrow every sentence was about how he loooooooooooves to rape.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wendell posted:

I'd like to hear about the worse ones! Because seriously, in Green Arrow every sentence was about how he loooooooooooves to rape.

The spectre killed him when he was had hired a bunch of whores to dress as Teen Titans and he was going to "rape" them. There is also the case of firestorm's girlfriend who was turned to salt and he was found licking her head. Just any time he was used post Identity Crisis was rape rape rape.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wendell posted:

It's loving ridiculous.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I know all these authors probably thought that in some way they were actually bringing awareness to rape by having a Rape Villain finally in the spotlight, but holy loving poo poo is that a terrible way to handle that subject.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Probably Magic posted:

I know all these authors probably thought that in some way they were actually bringing awareness to rape by having a Rape Villain finally in the spotlight, but holy loving poo poo is that a terrible way to handle that subject.

He was not even a Rape villain until Identity Crisis. He was kind of a joke villain known for being easily beaten.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember really enjoying the Teen Titans comic Geoff Johns wrote immediately after Identity Crisis where Light goes and fights every single hero who's every been in the Titans at once to re-establish the character as a dangerous bad guy, but I'm pretty sure he didn't brag about how much he enjoyed rape while he did it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember really enjoying the Teen Titans comic Geoff Johns wrote immediately after Identity Crisis where Light goes and fights every single hero who's every been in the Titans at once to re-establish the character as a dangerous bad guy, but I'm pretty sure he didn't brag about how much he enjoyed rape while he did it.

I know it's not well regarded these days, but I love that run. That's a seminal comic in my nerd development.

And that splash page with Nightwing yelling "Titans TOGETHER!" and every living Titan attacking at once is just wonderful.

I also loved how that was the first thing Light did when he learned about the brainfucking. He was basically like "WHAT!?" and hosed off to beat up the Titans.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Unmature posted:

I know it's not well regarded these days, but I love that run. That's a seminal comic in my nerd development.

And that splash page with Nightwing yelling "Titans TOGETHER!" and every living Titan attacking at once is just wonderful.

I also loved how that was the first thing Light did when he learned about the brainfucking. He was basically like "WHAT!?" and hosed off to beat up the Titans.

That was the first volume of that reboot, right? I think that was the last time I liked the Teen Titans.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

That was the first volume of that reboot, right? I think that was the last time I liked the Teen Titans.

Yeah, it was the first and last time they were good in a long time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

Sure, I liked it a lot. Haven't read it in a while, but it was that and JSA that got me into DC in a big way. I know Infinite Crisis isn't especially well-liked either, but it was likewise the first big event I was into as it was coming out, and TT and JSA are where Johns did most of the build-up for it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, I liked it a lot. Haven't read it in a while, but it was that and JSA that got me into DC in a big way. I know Infinite Crisis isn't especially well-liked either, but it was likewise the first big event I was into as it was coming out, and TT and JSA are where Johns did most of the build-up for it.

When did people turn on Infinite Crisis? I remember people loving it when it came out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Telos and Lois & Clark second issues' solicits

quote:

TELOS #2
Written by JEFF KING
Art and cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ
On sale NOVEMBER 11 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
A secret history of Convergence is revealed when Brainiac offers Telos a terrible choice: Save his people or save his planet. And now, years later, is Brainiac the only ally in Telos’s search to find his lost family? Or could he put his faith in K’Rot, Stealth, and Captain Comet instead?

SUPERMAN: LOIS AND CLARK #2
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art and cover by LEE WEEKS
On sale NOVEMBER 4 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
While we learn what exactly this strange new Superman has been up to during his time on this Earth, Lois is targeted by a deadly organization that calls itself…Intergang! Plus: Jon, the son of Lois and Clark, is starting to wonder about his parents’ true origins.

Uh, I didn't expect to see K'Rot again and I'm getting the nagging feeling that Jon Kent on the solicits is the same psycho that showed up on Superboy last year.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Seriously who the gently caress wanted a Telos ongoing? The existence of a Telos ongoing might rank higher than "Batman Beyond featuring nothing resembling Batman Beyond" on the list of "why does this exist" titles DC is putting out.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

TwoPair posted:

Seriously who the gently caress wanted a Telos ongoing? The existence of a Telos ongoing might rank higher than "Batman Beyond featuring nothing resembling Batman Beyond" on the list of "why does this exist" titles DC is putting out.

I don't even know why I'm still reading BB. Everything from "killing off Terry and bringing in a character with no attachment to the world of BB" to "replacing the wacky highschool antics and scifi dystopia-lite world with a concentration camp" makes me feel like someone at DC just wanted to troll the poo poo out of everyone who had ever asked for a BB comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

"Batman Beyond featuring nothing resembling Batman Beyond"

This feels like the work of an AI with a crush on me.

:stonk: "DCbot, what have you done!?"
:psylon: "I heard you like Tim Drake and Batman Beyond, so I put Tim Drake in Batman Beyond so you can Batman Beyond while you Tim Drake! NOW DO YOU LOVE ME!?"

• Locked thread