Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/whistler-tourism-soars-but-crackdown-on-foreign-labour-hurts-business-1.3191910

quote:

Whistler tourism soars, but crackdown on foreign labour hurts business
Resort has a shortage of employees due to a lack of foreign workers

It's been the best summer in years for tourism in Whistler, but the worst in terms of staffing as the resort town struggles with a crackdown on foreign workers.

It's so bad that some businesses like Avalanche Pizza have had to close.

The problem started about eight months ago, said Rick Hale, the owner of two Avalanche Pizza restaurants. He closed one of his restaurants a few weeks ago because of the labour shortage.

Help wanted

"We're over-working our existing employees to no end," Hale said. "They can't handle it any more and, as an employer, I just don't see any time off."

Hale's not alone.

Help wanted signs are all over the resort town, which has a population of about 9,800 and hosts about 2 million visitors annually.

Employers said worker shortages are due to restrictions to Canada's temporary foreign worker program, which laid out plans to limit foreign workers last year.

Mayor Nancy Wilhelm-Morden said the chamber of commerce is trying to get some relief through the program.

"It's a problem of success," Wilhelm-Morden said. "We've had our busiest summer on record."

Incentives

The community offers a lot of support for staff through an affordable housing program and community services but they just need to attract more employees, she said. The shortage is compounded by the fact that a lot of students who work in the town will be leaving at the end of August.

"I understand there is a problem with labour for tourism and hospitality across the country, which is supposed to last until 2020," she said. "This problem isn't going to go away soon."

Hale, who has been in business for 20 years, said he's never seen a shortage like this.

"The solution is bringing back our foreign labour market," Hale said. "We were running well with it. We enjoyed the foreign market coming in and assisting us. It brought character to our businesses and it brought lots of enjoyment to our town."

HMMMMMMM if only there were some market-based remedy for such an imbalance

countdown till our venerated and hallowed small business owners start demanding the exemption of labour laws to reduce costs and cut the red tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Cultural Imperial posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/whistler-tourism-soars-but-crackdown-on-foreign-labour-hurts-business-1.3191910

countdown till our venerated and hallowed small business owners start demanding the exemption of labour laws to reduce costs and cut the red tape

Bbbbbut I can't make money slinging lovely pizza unless the government repeals this bullshit prohibition on slavery :qq:

-A concerned CFIB member

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

heroic small business owners just prefer easily prefer exploitable foreign labor.

hmm overworked staff due to lots of customers and costly turnover, I guess the solution is to cry for foreign labor.

etalian fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 15, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, I was about to say, I'm not sure Canadian business can actually spend less on capital reinvestment at this point.

It is sort of funny how the value of our dollar is tied to the price of oil and the market price for our exports is also tied to the price of oil though. We can't even benefit from a soft dollar export-wise because all we have to offer is worthless crude. Good hedging, studs.

Yeah a weak local currency only helps if you have goods and services other countries want similar to the German export focused economy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MrChips posted:

Bbbbbut I can't make money slinging lovely pizza unless the government repeals this bullshit prohibition on slavery :qq:

-A concerned CFIB member

That's what they get for not importing true pizza making know-how from Boston.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrChips posted:

-A concerned CFIB member

The real problem with pizza prices is our insane dairy protectionism. Crush the dairy cartel and enjoy delicious, cheap pizza once more!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

The real problem with pizza prices is our insane dairy protectionism. Crush the dairy cartel and enjoy delicious, cheap pizza once more!
You actually think lower dairy costs would be passed on to the consumer?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea, I don't really feel like anyone would have anything to gain from charging reasonable prices for dairy after everyone in the country has been paying so much for so long. Why bother lowering prices if you don't have to? Not that I've done much research into the dairy thing specifically, but thinking that low prices get passed onto consumers in Canada is pretty much nonsense to me.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

They get around that but having "Pizza making kits" with cheap rear end cheese in them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MrChips posted:

-A concerned CFIB member

remember how energy companies brought in piles of foreign workers during the boom instead of hiring locals?

T8R
Aug 9, 2005
Yes, I would like some tea!
According to food rating websites Avalanche Pizza is mediocre pizza that costs too much, and the service is unhelpful and ignorant. I suspect that has a lot more to do with them closing up shop as opposed to a shortage of foreign workers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

T8R posted:

According to food rating websites Avalanche Pizza is mediocre pizza that costs too much, and the service is unhelpful and ignorant. I suspect that has a lot more to do with them closing up shop as opposed to a shortage of foreign workers.

A bad leader blames a list of other factors for his failures.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Bip Roberts posted:

That's what they get for not importing true pizza making know-how from Boston.

:golfclap:

It's funny how you can pretty much rely on there being a Boston Pizza in every Canadian (or at least, British Columbian) town, no matter how podunk. :barf:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

cowofwar posted:

You actually think lower dairy costs would be passed on to the consumer?

Not uniformly and not instantly, but the discrepancies caused by supply management are so huge that it would quickly make sense as a way for certain stores to differentiate themselves, etc. A fun experiment is to compare the cheese departments at Costco on either side of the border. Without exaggeration, we're talking a 200%, often as high as 400% price per weight differential on identical products.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vancouver gets in on the Soylent fad:
http://www.vancouversun.com/Soylent+wins+converts+Vancouver+concept+taste/11291467/story.html

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

T8R posted:

It's decent pizza, or at least it used to be, but it's incredibly expensive. Service in Whistler is uniformly pretty poor though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That gave me an idea; let's make Soylent Green out of Vancouverites!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MrChips posted:

Vancouverites arent people

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

MrChips posted:

I think using foreign meat might have some tariff implications.

Jimmy Jerkboat
Apr 8, 2009

hrmmm vancouverites slamming back a cadmium & lead filled meal replacement?

I'm cool with this.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I remember when lower oil prices were passed on to the people, too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Avalanche Pizza in Whistler is loving terrible.

But, that said, literally every single place you go to right now has help wanted signs in the window. All the foreigners that come and spend the winter leave in the summer to go exploring, so they're not there to work, and when you combine that with the super busy summer season, well...

Maybe, just maybe, if companies paid more for workers they'd find people willing to take the jobs!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/this-chart-shows-that-canada-has-bigger-problems-than-just-oil-citi-strategist

quote:

This chart shows that Canada has bigger problems than just oil: Citi strategist

The collapse in oil prices has wreaked havoc on some regions of Canada, with a high likelihood that the nation suffered a technical recession in the first half of 2015.

But Steven Englander, Citibank’s global head of G-10 currency strategy, says that sluggish export growth outside the oil patch—and what’s been causing it—is an even bigger issue for the country.

Though the recent trade figures were encouraging, the U.S. dollar value of non-oil exports has moved virtually sideways for several years, Englander observed during an appearance on BloombergTV.

Englander pointed to a simple, structural story for Canada’s non-energy woes—the ascendance of Mexico in North American export markets.

The U.S. dollar value of Mexico’s non-oil exports recently exceeded those of Canada, which has been unable to surpass its prerecession peak. Note that there was previously a large gap between the two.

quote:

“CADMXN, the relationship between the Canadian dollar and Mexican dollar, is dead flat the last three years,” Englander explained. “So the Canadian dollar depreciation hasn’t gained them any competitive advantage, so they’re, you know, getting clocked, both oil and non-oil.”

The Canadian dollar effective exchange rate index has declined 13 percent over the past year, punctuated by a 16 percent drop against the U.S. dollar. But the loonie’s narrow range relative to the Mexican peso has muted the potential benefits of a lower currency, and its rival for U.S. demand has continued to grab market share.

quote:

“I think Mexico’s just a cheaper place to produce, and you have enough human capital and engineering skills to produce almost everything you can produce in Canada and do it a lot cheaper,” Englander added.

Eagerly awaiting the manifestation of a Canadian Mythology where we must reclaim our place in the world by building a Transamerican Coprosperity Reich. Time to stockpile Rafales ( :rolleyes:) and invade Mexico for the glory of our motherland.

Jimmy Jerkboat
Apr 8, 2009
Don't worry about all this doom and gloom guys there's plenty of options for cyclically unemployed low-skill oil & gas sector workers to re-train into a new industry

http://thetyee.ca/News/2015/08/15/Layoffs-Community-College-Adult-Ed-Faculty/

The Tyee posted:

"Another fall semester, another potential round of layoffs for faculty in Vancouver Community College's adult education programs.

Yesterday, faculty learned that because enrollment for the fall semester is down by 30 per cent in high school upgrading and college prep courses, about one-third of faculty in those departments will receive advanced lay-off notices next week.

"It is bad," said faculty association president Karen Shortt, adding 40 to 50 faculty members will receive notices. Those laid off will remain in their jobs until December. "It's all because the government has brought in tuition for programs that have been free since 2007."

As of Jan. 1, 2015, the provincial government stopped funding adult education courses for students with and without high school diplomas in B.C.'s 18 public post-secondary institutions. At VCC, the cuts specifically impacted Grade 10 to 12 courses in the adult basic education, career and community access, and college foundation departments.

VCC is the largest provider of such programs in B.C. In previous years, about 1,400 students enrolled each fall.

If enough students enroll by the time classes begin on Sept. 16, layoffs may not be necessary.

Adult ed courses for students with diplomas at the 60 public school districts also lost funding on May 1, but students without diplomas can still access those classes in school districts for free.

Last December, the province announced that school districts and public post-secondary institutions could charge up to $320 per course for part-time students or $1,600 for a full semester. Students deemed low-income by government can apply for grants to help cover tuition.

Close to 100 English Language Learning faculty lost their jobs at the college last winter when provincial and federal funding for the program was cut.

Cancelled too soon?

Shortt said the college will cancel fall classes with low enrolments. She said she fears that's too soon, as many students usually wait until the last two weeks of August to register.

"I think those would have filled up to the 18 to 19 [students] that we traditionally have if they'd waited," she said, adding that many classes currently have only three or four students enrolled.

But faculty had to be informed of the layoffs early, said Karen Wilson, VCC's interim director of marketing and communications, as the collective agreement stipulates three months notice.

"Because we have to give such long notice time, if we were to wait, then fiscally we'd be in a very difficult situation," she said. "We're trying to be responsible."

Previously Grade 10 to 12 equivalent courses, which include high school level math, sciences, and humanities, had been free from 2008 until 2012 when the B.C. government began charging for non-academic courses for high school graduates.

But Wilson said the government is still subsidizing the courses, pointing to the non-refundable grants for low-income students.

"I would say the majority of our students are getting funding. It's just a different model," she said, adding VCC has its own grant this year for students who aren't eligible to receive the government grant.

"We have been given as much funding as needed to put students in the classes, and we need students to know that."

The switch from free to tuition-based funding will show the courses students want, she said, adding in future semesters "we're going to have to shift our priorities to what the demand of the marketplace is."

Students tough to find

Wilson believes enrollment is low because students fear they won't be funded. Many former students left after tuition was introduced, she said.

The program is intended for students who can be hard to find, she added.

"They're often marginalized [people] with a high rate of illiteracy," she said, adding that VCC has sent recruiters to organizations like S.U.C.C.E.S.S. and the YWCA to find potential students.

The college is holding an information session for adult ed on Aug. 19 in hopes of attracting more students.

Shortt isn't convinced that the problem is all about students. She said that VCC has been under a lot of pressure from government to make cuts after reporting a $5.4-million deficit last March.

She said she's frustrated that the government has been promoting jobs training and education for high demand jobs, but cutting funds for basic high school upgrade courses.

"What is the idea here, to not offer people that need Grade 10, 11, 12 English and Math an opportunity?" Shortt said. "I don’t know. I don't get it."

welp

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy loving poo poo I had no idea they cancelled this. gently caress this loving province

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
That's really frustrating. Wow. gently caress.

Jimmy Jerkboat
Apr 8, 2009

Holy loving poo poo I had no idea they cancelled this. gently caress this loving province

It's been publicly "out-there" for ~2 years, confirmed last year, with cuts effective this school year.

That goes for ALL adult ed and grade 12 level classes (save *maybe* some level of funding for math and english at Langara and probably Kwantlen + the universities, according to someone I spoke with today), from VCC to the VSB.

Side note: I got to watch Christopher "literally a traffic cop" Richardson fumble as chairperson barely two minutes after being picked for the role at a school board meeting filled with adult ed teachers with a bone to pick

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

People aren't going to need it anymore because Premier Clark tamed the teachers union and ended their strike action that was keeping are kids out of school :colbert:

Jimmy Jerkboat
Apr 8, 2009

THC posted:

People aren't going to need it anymore because Premier Clark tamed the teachers union and ended their strike action that was keeping are kids out of school :colbert:

Given the fact you're funded unless you've graduated; keeping out the ones that aren't going directly into post-secondary upon high-school graduation, with a clear shot at graduating post-secondary with a bankable education might be for the best.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Meanwhile the province has ultra-low corporate tax rates and even gave corporations 10 year exemptions from all corporate tax:
http://themainlander.com/2011/02/02/vancouver-has-lowest-corporate-taxes-in-the-world/

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cool BC goons please move away from that lovely province so I dont feel bad hoping that it falls into the ocean California style.

e: That means you too CI.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Furnaceface posted:

Cool BC goons please move away from that lovely province so I dont feel bad hoping that it falls into the ocean California style.

e: That means you too CI.

B-b-b-but my lifestyle....!

I've heard about a half a dozen people unironically cite "lifestyle" as one of the main reasons they love Vancouver over the last month, and it only gets more and more loving obnoxious.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Vancouver Island has like the only good climate in the whole country, I'm not going anywhere till the whole thing's underwater.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ChairMaster posted:

Vancouver Island has like the only good climate in the whole country, I'm not going anywhere till the whole thing's underwater.

This.

Also housing costs are no problem if you're an ENTREPRENEUR LIVING IN A VAN
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lick=sf_globefb

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Nathanael Lauster, a sociologist at UBC, studies people’s housing choices and says housing ideals are contributing to the city’s reputation as unaffordable.

“The reason Vancouver keeps showing up as unaffordable is because we use the single-detached house as the yardstick of what constitutes decent living,” he said. “But if you’re looking at apartment costs, things look a little different.”

I'm seriously getting loving sick of PhDs in the social sciences. By every single loving historical indicator involving the Vancouver housing market, prices are exorbitantly high. This isn't a loving problem with perception. 400k for a loving 1br apartment isn't a good deal you loving shithead.

It's time to drag out all these dumb fucks and crucify them every meter on the Georgia viaduct.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

He had recently landed a job as a bitcoin ATM attendant in the Waves Coffee House at Smithe and Howe streets and he saw a bright future in the currency. He wanted to create a shared space for the bitcoin community. But having to worry about whether he had a home to come back to at the end of every workday was starting to interfere with his business plans.

Hahahaha

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"ATM attendant"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

[Vancouver Canada] I am being offered a rent to buy situation on a brand new condo.

quote:

Quick back story I'm 20 years old and want to move out from my place to be with my girlfriend.

lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

I'm seriously getting loving sick of PhDs in the social sciences. By every single loving historical indicator involving the Vancouver housing market, prices are exorbitantly high. This isn't a loving problem with perception. 400k for a loving 1br apartment isn't a good deal you loving shithead.

It's time to drag out all these dumb fucks and crucify them every meter on the Georgia viaduct.

It sounds less like academic research and more "justifying my poor life choices"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Baronjutter posted:

Also housing costs are no problem if you're an ENTREPRENEUR LIVING IN A VAN
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lick=sf_globefb

I didn't read the whole thing, but I can't believe this article is actually framing it that living in a van is an okay way to live.