Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
It's a shame that Thousand Sons have always been gimped by the Chaos codices over the years. Back in 3rd edition they kind of sucked, and even now they don't appear that great either. I always thought they were at least as powerful as the Grey Knights, so a conversion army would probably work best for me. Plus, don't the Grey Knights have very few models on the table? Big savings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

goose fleet posted:

Back in 3rd edition they kind of sucked, and even now they don't appear that great either.

Tson Chosen were loving baller back in 3.5. Whole unit of sorcerers on Discs of Tzeentch, tossing out auto-pass psychic powers like candy. Completely bonkers, even if they were expensive.

The main issue with Tsons is the unit itself. You've got an expensive unit of slow-moving AP3 bolters in a game where if an MEQ isn't in cover, they're in a transport (or more uncommon, in melee), and hobbled by an ML1 Sorcerer stuck with a bad discipline. Rhuberics act as glorified wound counters for the sorcerer, and he kind of sucks rear end for his points cost. They're a generalist unit in a game where specialization is king, and where better shooting and better psychic power can be found cheaper even in their own codex.

There's ways to fix this, too. Have the Sorcerer grant Relentless to the unit while alive, and when he's dead they get stuck with S&P. Let the sorcerer be ML2. Make the Lore suck less rear end. Allow the Rhuberics to get special/heavy weapons again. Make them cheaper. Make their bolters force rerolls on successful armor saves/cover saves rather than AP3. Let them deepstrike. Any one or even a couple of them would go a long way to making them a more attractive unit, but as it stands they're just not worth taking.

Mark of Tzeentch isn't even bad either, it's just served better on units other than Thousand Sons.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
So I'm a little apprehensive to post this, but why not? I'm involved in a podcast with some of my buddies. This is the first episode I've been in, since our inaugural episode vanished into the nether (when we did the entire thing without turning on the recording.) I think the guys have put together something entertaining enough, though, and figure it is nice enough to listen to while painting. God willing, you might even get a chuckle.

Check it out here. I'll happily listen to any advice, and if anyone doesn't hate it, that's a good start.

(I'm the twat who isn't sitting close enough to his microphone. We're still working some kinks out here and there.)

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Uroboros posted:

Spotted this hotness at the gamestore.

Great Unclean One
Guy used freeze dried mealworms on the base.

This made me kind of puke in my mouth. Amazing.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

There's a 40k Knight Titan game called Freeblade coming out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUep6xNeKjA

Unfortunately it's on mobile devices, and while the animations actually look really, really good, I'm not expecting anything great since it's a mobile game. Sucks since I was hoping for Mechwarrior 40k essentially, but I guess I'll wait and see.

They hosed up the scaling so bad, it looks and plays just like Space Marine but with a hunched over robot man. It doesn't look like a giant war machine, it moves almost as fast as a person, and there are no tiny 40k bus stops or watermelon stands near it to make it look as tall as it is.

That imperial eagle is so big, as are the other environmental details, that I thought they were going for a Small Soldiers gag, like your 40k robit model came to life and hosed up your house while you were at work.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

She, and she only handled some photo aspects for the site afaik.

I bet she took the ones with all the fancy collages, but none of the actual resin models

Von Humboldt posted:

So I'm a little apprehensive to post this, but why not? I'm involved in a podcast with some of my buddies. This is the first episode I've been in, since our inaugural episode vanished into the nether (when we did the entire thing without turning on the recording.) I think the guys have put together something entertaining enough, though, and figure it is nice enough to listen to while painting. God willing, you might even get a chuckle.

Check it out here. I'll happily listen to any advice, and if anyone doesn't hate it, that's a good start.

(I'm the twat who isn't sitting close enough to his microphone. We're still working some kinks out here and there.)

Going to listen for the Russian history part. You best not upset comrade BULBASAUR

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

The stage is set. The imperial guard is ready.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to collect Thousand Sons when they bring them out, simply because I know they're going to look so. loving. sick. Their contemptors will no doubt be baller.

poo poo, I already know what I'm going to be using for a 1K Sons contemptor when my penny jar fills up enough

http://sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?art=2995

Love how it looks and I get to Not Give GW Money

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

I bet she took the ones with all the fancy collages, but none of the actual resin models

Going to listen for the Russian history part. You best not upset comrade BULBASAUR
It's just a brief bit on blocking detachments (and I didn't even get a chance to tear into the idea that they just shot dudes left and right!) and leaders, if I recall. Me and Ted both did a lot on Russian History in school, so it was pretty easy for us to get off topic. However, I will happily report back that the listeners demand MORE Soviet information, since that's my jam.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

I SEE THAT loving MONKEY IN THE CASE

:black101:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Slimnoid posted:

hahaha That is badass!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

DJ Dizzy posted:

Hey what lights are you using in your detolf cases?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Lord Twisted posted:

Cataphract - as you're an Ork player and I've played against Orks for years and years, I'd be really interested to know about any Orky taktiks, lists, combos etc that you like or use? I'm listening to your interview on IC final podcast, would be cool to know what your opinion is there.

Also Ghost Hand - bloody awesome podcast man. Seriously incredible you did 127 episodes of that length.

Glad you enjoyed it man. I'm sad to be done... but not sad enough to continue. :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just about wrapped up with the final episode, Ghost Hand. Sad to see the show go, but it's been great while it lasted.

You ended the show at a good time- considering the level of pessimism and backlash Age of the Emperor will soon create.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Ghost Hand posted:

Hey what lights are you using in your detolf cases?

Uh.. white LED strips from ikea? Also yes, Knight King Kong is awesome.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh man, I saw a metal Cypher model at a hobby shop today. Don't know if I should go back and buy it for the $17 they're asking for just to troll some Dark Angel players.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Star Man posted:

Oh man, I saw a metal Cypher model at a hobby shop today. Don't know if I should go back and buy it for the $17 they're asking for just to troll some Dark Angel players.

Every time I use Cypher against a DA player they throw everything at him, pretty much following by the fluff without realizing it.

Plus the model is one of my favorite sculpts.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Slimnoid posted:

I love the inquisitor in the yellow hat. I'm curious if it's a proxy army, or if you can take an almost entirely jokero fource.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

Glad you enjoyed it man. I'm sad to be done... but not sad enough to continue. :)
I'm only about a third through the episode since I haven't done much painting the last week or so, but I like how the last few episodes have had kind of a go for broke feel to them. Everyone's just speaking their mind and giving each other more poo poo than usual and it's really fun to listen to. It was a great run!

Star Man posted:

He's still available for 17bux on GW's site but on eBay he's going for 30ish. He's a great model and a cool character, I'd get him for that alone.

DJ Dizzy posted:

There better be a huge game that follows, these guys look great, as does the table.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Von Humboldt posted:

It's just a brief bit on blocking detachments (and I didn't even get a chance to tear into the idea that they just shot dudes left and right!) and leaders, if I recall. Me and Ted both did a lot on Russian History in school, so it was pretty easy for us to get off topic. However, I will happily report back that the listeners demand MORE Soviet information, since that's my jam.

Can you tell me what time to skip to so I don't have to listen to man children carry on with very pedestrian dick jokes?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

So about fielding armies without a force organization chart, how does it work? Do you just buy a bunch of models based off their respective codices and that's that? If you have to get the other guy's permission, isn't that basically the way it's always been for friendly games?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Big Willy Style posted:

Can you tell me what time to skip to so I don't have to listen to man children carry on with very pedestrian dick jokes?
Any point after two minutes, though the minute and a half leading up is perfectly clear of dick jokes as well. Glad you gave it a shake, wish you gave it a longer listen.

Though, to be fair, we talk about crotch armor at some point later in the broadcast and make some jokes about that. I can understand if you're looking for something a bit more straight, but this is going to be some dudes talking about the game and giving each other crap. If that isn't your thing (and judging by your reaction to a dick joke, it isn't,) that's fine. I'm not even sure it is our thing. We're still sussing out where we're going.

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 15, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

goose fleet posted:

So about fielding armies without a force organization chart, how does it work? Do you just buy a bunch of models based off their respective codices and that's that? If you have to get the other guy's permission, isn't that basically the way it's always been for friendly games?

You just do whatever the gently caress you want. You don't need their permission, but the game's a social contract just like it always has been so do whatever. Personally I see unbound/allied armies as a great opportunity for counts-as stuff like Buffalo Chicken's armies or things like Genestealer Cult made using Genestealers and Imperial Guard or Orks as the cultists, but there's a lot of potential for dickery. Don't play with people who are dicks and you'll avoid that happening though.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

SRM posted:

There better be a huge game that follows, these guys look great, as does the table.

15k apoc.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Sick. Please take pictures and post a nice batrep.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Status so far. Stompa charged hellhammer. Proceeded to take 1 hullpoint off it.

Edit: Massed Haywire shooting works well against killburstas.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 15, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Xpost. Updating the paint job on my Wave Serpents, you can see a before on the right, and an after on the left. The original paint jobs are from when the Wave Serpent kits first came out (10+ years ago). The old Wave Serpent actually had a clear canopy but I've already laid down the base coat on it for updating.

The bright green on the updated WS is actually more vibrant, the blending is a bit cooler (in the sense of contrast) and less sharp, and the gems have been redone. Also, I've recoated the white and added roses. The original paint was pretty thick, so this is unfortunately a little frustrating.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is there a list somewhere of which armies are at what edition?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

goose fleet posted:

Is there a list somewhere of which armies are at what edition?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_(Warhammer_40,000)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

:toot: The imperium won 17-13 against the vile xenos. Pictures will be up tomorrow.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 15, 2015

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Given that Inquisitors only got a digital release last time and haven't been updated in a while, are we expecting them to be on the chopping block?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

Given that Inquisitors only got a digital release last time and haven't been updated in a while, are we expecting them to be on the chopping block?
I don't think Inquisitors will ever be taken out of the game, but I'd expect them to get folded back into another codex or someday get a release like the Militarum Tempestus codex.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta make room for another 3 space marine codexes.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Sunk costs, etc.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
X-posting from the miniatures thread,

My latest little conversion project. I've got a lot of stuff I finally finished painting, too, just need to get a proper camera on them!

"I WILL gently caress YOU UP! :black101:"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Drake_263 posted:

X-posting from the miniatures thread,

My latest little conversion project. I've got a lot of stuff I finally finished painting, too, just need to get a proper camera on them!

"I WILL gently caress YOU UP! :black101:"

These are loving awesome.

That is all.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

There's one thing I never got, fluff-wise: if the Grey Knights are so secretive and just seeing them or acknowledging their presence is enough to get you killed or mind-wiped, then why the gently caress is their base right next to the central world of the entire Imperium?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

goose fleet posted:

There's one thing I never got, fluff-wise: if the Grey Knights are so secretive and just seeing them or acknowledging their presence is enough to get you killed or mind-wiped, then why the gently caress is their base right next to the central world of the entire Imperium?

Because a Space Marine's concept of 'subtlety' boils down to 'using your second-biggest gun'.

Boon posted:

These are loving awesome.

That is all.

Thank you!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

What chapter are you gonna paint those guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Pre-Heresy/Loyalist Death Guard. Bone-white armor, brownish-green shoulderpads and weapon casings, bronze decals.

• Locked thread