Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
There were useful teammates in the Saints Row games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

muscles like this? posted:

I'm glad they had to tone down the grimdark poo poo because that was always the worst part of the SR series. Saint's Row isn't a serious series so trying to do serious story bits just come off as stupid. Thankfully the devs seem to have realized this as they went in the opposite direction with 4. Yeah 4 has the complete destruction of the Earth but they don't dwell on it or play it as melodrama.

I don't know about you but the Boss can wish the Earth back into existence using the Dragon Balls and I don't think anyone would blink an eye.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Not useful so much as entertaining.

IIRC, SR3's full "Depowering" of the saints was supposed to involve Killbane detonating a dirty bomb in Stillwater, as opposed to them launching a few RPGs at Gat's funeral procession. Unfortunately, they decided to cut this for various reasons, so Shaundis rapid personality change. Unfortunately, even with this information in hand, Shaundi is still awful in SR3+ because the best part of her was the she gave 0 fucks and just enjoyed getting high asf and occasionally causing some mayhem. And instead she gets ANGRY and VIOLENT like someone had to fill the space previously occupied by Johnny Gat who got killed off for some reason that probably related to the voice actor being busy on Hawaii Five-Oh.

Pierce is also awful, but that's just Pierce. Pierce is always awful.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

muscles like this? posted:

I'm glad they had to tone down the grimdark poo poo because that was always the worst part of the SR series.

Look man, if you didn't avenge Aisha's death as Boss Samurai Hotdog, then you missed out on some true gravitas.

Professor Wayne posted:

There were useful teammates in the Saints Row games?

Matt is the best SR4 teammate purely because of how hard he freaks out when the Zin call for air support.

"ALIENS! PLANE!" :derp:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kaubocks posted:

I don't like SR3 that much because the story felt like a total mess. I spent about half the story thinking we were trying to save Johnny. Since all three gangs were essentially working together, the story felt like it was three gangs pushing and shoving over each other vying for attention rather than three separate, detailed stories. The bad ending is the only ending that felt like a "real" ending since it's the only one where the Daedalus actually shows up which is kind of a big deal, but all of it hinges on hoping the player actually thinks killing Killbane is most important thing which I never really felt like it was.

I'm probably just biased though because I think SR2 is the gold standard for open world games and easily one of the best games ever made.

That would've been fun if they had kept the pattern going past SR2, so that by 4 you'd still be dealing with three separate gangs, but they just happen to be aliens this time and you're vying for control of the Earth or the galaxy or whatever.

I'm in the same boat though - SR2 is my absolute favorite and the sequels just never quite grabbed me as much.

Even outside of the jumbled mess of a story, the tone of the third game is just all over the dang place. You've got Johnny's rushed death, PTSD Shaundi, and an overall more darker edge to the bad guys...right next to Professor Genki, the Fart in a Jar, and STAG to an extent. The Saints are meant to be stranded, depowered, and humiliated by the Syndicate, but Steelport thankfully still has a dozen Saints clothing boutiques for some reason? It just all feels weird before you get into the map being less interesting and some of the gameplay elements not really working as well as they could've.

I'm also a killjoy who didn't really like SR4 all that much. Virtual Steelport lowered the stakes despite the outlandish premise, and while the movement superpowers were all satisfying to use and had plenty of purpose, your offensive capabilities felt really flat and boring. Mainly because the game never scales up the enemies to challenge the Boss, outside of the tedious Warden fights. Instantly wiping out large mobs of mooks with fireballs or whatever eventually got boring, and the little enemy variety that was offered up was more vaguely annoying than anything. Also the superpowers ended up being upstaged by a bunch of the weapons too. Fireballs are lame when you can kill through the power of dubstep.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Aug 15, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I appreciate how they didn't completely do a 180 with Shaundi after SR3. They could have after (and I think most fans would have approved) but running around with Young Shaundi, Old Shaundi and Future Shaundi in SR4 is way funnier.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

SpookyLizard posted:

Pierce is also awful, but that's just Pierce. Pierce is always awful.

Look at how wrong you are.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

I'm under the impression that doing quests from people with Actual Names and not stuff like "Colony 9 Resident" are the quests that raise affinity with the area the most, and having higher affinity unlocks more sidequests to do. I could be wrong, that's just how I had it explained to me and I'm trying not to look up too much stuff about the game.

As boring as I find this particular quest, if it's technically gating me from other more interesting sidequests then I'd like to get it done at least eventually.

Do it later, the game is long as hell and the main content has an immensely more effort put into it than the side-content. As others have warned, unless you love grinding, it'll burn you out on finishing the game.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
To break up the SR talk. FFXIV's expansion "Heavensward" is well on it way and contains a crapload of awesome content. Story is awesome, characters are awesome, new classes are awesome. But there were two things that annoyed the hell out of me. One is a zone which consists entirely of helping moogles. While the novelty is adorable at first - it eventually becomes an annoyance leading you to inevitably hate those little white fuckers.

The other annoyance is with the second to last zone has its quest givers in a separate zone, so you have to continuously go in and out of this town with a load screen every single time.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
An annoyance with SR4 is that, since it takes place in a VR simulation, Kinzie has way more input than any other character. Because of that, at least a third of the jokes are just,

Kinzie: :techno:
The Boss: In English, please :rolleyes:
*cue laughtrack*

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I recently started playing Trine 2 and while I've enjoyed most of the changes from the first game (playing target practice by Levitating enemies for my Thief buddy to shoot is the goddamn best), it's still trivially easy to bypass a lot of puzzles by conjuring piles of boxes and planks. There's no reason to summon 4(!) large boxes beyond "let's brute force this puzzle".

And since you can Levitate objects while your buddy hitches a ride, it makes some puzzles even easier to skip.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

QuietLion posted:

And since you can Levitate objects while your buddy hitches a ride, it makes some puzzles even easier to skip.

This ability is an option you can disable I believe. But yeah it gets hard not to crush every puzzle under a mass of boxes later on instead of actually doing them. At the same time it's cool that they are pretty flexible about how you can get past puzzles so there's often more than just one way to do it, but the "intended" way involves the least torturing the physics.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

QuietLion posted:

I recently started playing Trine 2 and while I've enjoyed most of the changes from the first game (playing target practice by Levitating enemies for my Thief buddy to shoot is the goddamn best), it's still trivially easy to bypass a lot of puzzles by conjuring piles of boxes and planks.

Even more so, I think. I might be misremembering since there was a bit of a gap between when I played the first and second ones, but I think Amadeus got even more overpowered in the sequel. And he was already the solution to way too many problems in the first one.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Playing more Xenoblade Chronicles. Still a great game, but something else kinda bugs me.

Shulk's AI is incompetent.

Melia's is even worse. She's probably the strongest character in the game controlled by the player, but nearly useless as an AI party member.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This ability is an option you can disable I believe. But yeah it gets hard not to crush every puzzle under a mass of boxes later on instead of actually doing them. At the same time it's cool that they are pretty flexible about how you can get past puzzles so there's often more than just one way to do it, but the "intended" way involves the least torturing the physics.
I was wondering what the 'Levitate Self/Friends' option was in the game lobby. :downs:

On the bright side, it makes it much easier to collect all the little items that I feel a compulsive need to collect!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Saint's Row: Legend of the Leviathan Wish Stones.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Phobophilia posted:

Saint's Row: Legend of the Leviathan Wish Stones.

Pierce keeps dying and getting resurrected, Zinyak comes back as a cyborg, Johnny Gat turns evil just long enough to get powers to rival those of the Boss, the Shaundis fuse into Omega Shaundi...

I NEED FOUR BILLION DOLLARS AND A DIRECT LINE TO VOLITION, STAT.

EDIT: I unironically want Zinyak to come back. He should have been an unlockable homie like the other antagonists you can call to your side in SR4. I could listen to him read books to me forever.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lord Lambeth posted:

Everything I've heard of it suggests it's a crappy gta-like and Saints Row 2 is where the series found it's footing.

One thing about SR1 was even though it had a lot of weaknesses with its story and presentation, it played really well. The best was that it controlled like a 3rd person shooter did, and still had the GTA-like world going on. GTA didn't have decent controls until 5.
Also shooting rockets at the elevated train simply never gets old in that game. Or tossing pipe bombs in through open windows on cars.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Playing TItanfall for the first time.

Who thought an auto aim pistol was a good idea.

With enhanced targeting and jumping around like an rear end in a top hat its pretty tough to counter.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The best counter is also jumping around like an rear end in a top hat, ideally with a shotgun and stims.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arrath posted:

The best counter is also jumping around like an rear end in a top hat, ideally with a shotgun and stims.

I keep forgetting about stims, that explains why he was so goddamn fast.

And since I'm playing old games, its real silly that the coop character in DR3 starts with nothing when it clearly saves my status as my single player game has the same weapons I was carrying on the coop dude and the same outfit.

But every time I load up with my friend I gotta hit a safe house to re-stock.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I honestly love the smart pistol, because it's such an ideal weapon for a world wherein you're constantly running around on walls and jupming off giant robots. Shotguns, stims and satchels are pretty tight.

Titanfalls biggest problem is that it was pretty decently balanced but a handful of stuff was just infinitely more versatile and therefore better. Cloak had it's uses, radar pulse was neat, but stim was just more useful, more often.

Also there were all those people who would bitch endlessly about the lack of variety of weapons, because the developers had one of each weapon archetype, more or less. You had fully automatic assault rifle, a submachine gun, a burst fire AR, semiauto AR, a shotgun, semi auto sniper rifle, and bolt action high powered sniper rifle. However, because Call of Duty has five different guns that do basically the same thing, Titanfall should've done it too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm mostly really liking Binary Domain but there are a couple of little things dragging it down:
The combat is pretty samey because you're fighting the same two or three enemies most of the time; the boss battles mix things up but weren't always as thoroughly play tested as they should have been. There's a fight with a giant gorilla robot which can knock you out in one hit and is extremely agile, and the way to kill it is with a turret you have to manually reload. That's a pretty interesting battle, but then they throw in infinitely respawning enemies as well and it gets insanely aggravating. And then right after that there's another boss battle with a jumping robot that throws crates and exploding barrels at you, and this fight takes place in a tiny room and ALSO has respawning enemies! Stop respawning enemies!

The story also feels a bit "first draft". The idea is building trust with your team mates based on how well you do in battle and agreeing with them in the odd dialogue, but then the party gets split up so you spend a full third of the game with the same two characters, then you run into the rest of the group later and they've discovered the crucial plot information you've been after the whole time, with no ceremony or dramatic revelation or anything.

Edit: Oh and the dialogue choices make no sense at all sometimes. I just fought the final boss and he was yelling like, "you suck and I'm going to kill you" and my response options are "drat it" and "Yeah!" There are many times where even the conceptual idea of what I'm supposed to be saying is lost on me, and the trust system is based around telling people what they want to hear but does anyone ever want to hear "you fool" or "cheers" or anything but the Press A option? I like the game enough to replay it but if I do I want to try for the best ending, but the dialogue responses are so opaque that I'm not sure how.

Double edit: despite these complaints it's a fun game and I recommend getting it at the dirt cheap prices it's going for these days.

2house2fly has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Aug 16, 2015

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
They really goofed on the generic responses. Theyre not modified to the conversation at hand, ever, and are meant to be suggestions on things for you to actually say. The other annoying thing is that the endings are tied to companion trust thing.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Stringbean posted:

To break up the SR talk. FFXIV's expansion "Heavensward" is well on it way and contains a crapload of awesome content. Story is awesome, characters are awesome, new classes are awesome. But there were two things that annoyed the hell out of me. One is a zone which consists entirely of helping moogles. While the novelty is adorable at first - it eventually becomes an annoyance leading you to inevitably hate those little white fuckers.

The other annoyance is with the second to last zone has its quest givers in a separate zone, so you have to continuously go in and out of this town with a load screen every single time.

Heavensward is kind of dragging FFXIV down for me because I'm new to the game. Trying to run any dungeons or trials for the first time is incredibly frustrating because everyone playing either knows them so well that they kind of blitz through then, or they don't want to bother with it so queuing takes forever, even as a healer.

Lucky for me I'm on my way to 60 already, but if I didn't have a bunch of friends who are willing to run stuff with me I would have probably quit playing by now.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

One thing about SR1 was even though it had a lot of weaknesses with its story and presentation, it played really well. The best was that it controlled like a 3rd person shooter did, and still had the GTA-like world going on. GTA didn't have decent controls until 5.
Also shooting rockets at the elevated train simply never gets old in that game. Or tossing pipe bombs in through open windows on cars.

I think SR1 is better than what people give it credit for considering it came out about 2 years before GTA IV did. The tone of the game is really uneven, but at the same time it there's mayhem and insurance fraud activities or destroying things for reputation which makes it rewarding in game to do the kind of goofing around for fun people will do in other sandbox games for the hell of it. Compare that to GTA IV which has the detailed map, sophisticated game engine and serious writing but it feels like a chore to drive around it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You also get rewarded for driving like an rear end in a top hat with shortcuts being added to your GPS.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I'm mostly really liking Binary Domain but there are a couple of little things dragging it down:

Binary Domain could have been really cool. I'm not entirely sure how, but it could have been. Like I got super hooked by the intro and it was a lot of fun shooting robots, but the game was fairly repetitive by the end and all the characters act like the """""plot twist""""" is a huge deal even though the mention frequently that Faye is all flesh and bone. It mostly just kind left me wondering why everyone cared so much.

At least the robot destruction physics was super fun.

Xoidanor posted:

Do it later, the game is long as hell and the main content has an immensely more effort put into it than the side-content. As others have warned, unless you love grinding, it'll burn you out on finishing the game.

I've all but given up on sidequests. I think I recently finished every sidequest currently available to me in Colony 9 and yet my affinity with the area is only at two stars. I've done tons and tons of sidequests and apparently I've only done like 2/5 of them for the area. gently caress that, I'm out.

I'm pretty much just going through the story now, aside from any sidequests I come across that don't seem like a huge pain. The tricky bit, though, is that I've currently made it to Fallen Arm which feels like kind of a big jump in difficulty. All the way through Sword Valley I would frequently run into enemies that were a level or two above me which was tough but manageable. Now that I'm in Fallen Arm not only are all the enemies high level but there's also tons of them close together so they all join in the fights and then sometimes a unique enemy will come trundling through the area like "hey guys what's going on" and aaaaaaaa :derp:

I think I need to level up a bit more.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kaubocks posted:

I've all but given up on sidequests.

Good--the game has so much to offer, and so many people get bogged down by a weird need to complete all the sidequests and end up burnt out. As a general rule, do what you're doing and complete sidequests if you run across them and they don't seem like too big a hassle. Resist any obsessive completionist urges until NG+.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kaubocks posted:

It mostly just kind left me wondering why everyone cared so much.

Racial purity is still a big thing in Japan so it likely stems from that.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
gently caress Tomb Raider 3, as much as I like classic tomb raiding and it does have a lot of good stuff in it. I love Tomb Raider 2 but TR3 is just way OTT with some of the 'puzzles'. In 90% of the times when I crack and check a guide, which is not often because I hate doing it, I regret it because if I'd have persevered, I'd have found it eventually. Every single time I've checked a guide in TR3, about a dozen times, I've wondered how the gently caress any reasonable person would figure it out. Twice in the same level I've been given a room with lots of climbable ledges and stuff but always fell to my death. Frustrated, I check a walkthrough, turns out that in both cases you have to backtrack and get in some tiny crawlspace instead, one of which is totally obscured by the pitch loving dark. And then there's Aldwych, where I'm running around for ages telling myself that I won't check a guide, there's a reasonable solution somewhere. I tried feeding the old penny to a ticket machine but it didn't do anything, so I run around for an hour before resorting to walkthrough. Turns out that I had a right idea, put the penny in the ticket machine and get a ticket. Trouble is that there are eight ticket machines, and only one works. gently caress me, no wonder it turned into a cover shooter. Even reviews at the time stated that you're really going to need a guide for this game.

And yet, I simply have to beat it.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Aug 18, 2015

Elliot2lazy
Jun 9, 2015

by Cowcaster
NAVYFIELD and NAVYFIELD 2

The first one has died many years ago, and the second one is released dec 2014 and it is far behind world of warships in most areas. The second one feels like a beta, but has the same retards running it as the first one SDenternet. Waste of time and money. Better game atm out there is World of warships, even though different play style. WoWs doesn't have loving retarded people running it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fallout Shelter is out for Android and I cannot keep up with consumption no matter how upgraded or large my rooms are. I've set up everything very well and placed everyone in the right spots.

It's probably my fault, a couple of disastrous expiditions made me nervous to send anyone out so extra supplies are limited. The Fatboy I just picked up ought to even things out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Inzombiac posted:

Fallout Shelter is out for Android and I cannot keep up with consumption no matter how upgraded or large my rooms are. I've set up everything very well and placed everyone in the right spots.

It's probably my fault, a couple of disastrous expiditions made me nervous to send anyone out so extra supplies are limited. The Fatboy I just picked up ought to even things out.

It's a free-to-play mobile game, by definition their entire business model is built around artificially limiting everything so they can nickel-and-dime you with in-app purchases.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Get some training centers and leave people in them when you log off for the night, so they'll have gained a point when you come back. Then make the ones with the best stats gently caress so you get specialized workers who can produce goods faster for everyone.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
On the iOS version it was pretty fun when you keep the game in tutorial mode and it would constantly feed you challenges. Then they fixed it, and the best way was to timeskip.

Protip: your room timers tick down while the app is closed, but resources are only consumed while its open.

Unless they changed that too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mokinokaro posted:

Racial purity is still a big thing in Japan so it likely stems from that.

It's specifically a big theme of the game too, a character falls in love with a half-robot hybrid and gets called a "scrap lover".

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shadow Warrior is a fun game but I'm getting really annoyed by the severe fall damage. For a guy who runs around really fast and slices demons apart with fancy sword magic, Lo Wang sure does have weak knees.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Lord Lambeth posted:

Shadow Warrior is a fun game but I'm getting really annoyed by the severe fall damage. For a guy who runs around really fast and slices demons apart with fancy sword magic, Lo Wang sure does have weak knees.

The first time that I sprinted down some stairs and broke my legs so hard that I died was kind of funny, but only the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

From what I've seen, the sequel has addressed that.