Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Selachian posted:

1e monks didn't have spellcasting abilities; they just gained a variety immunities, a hilariously feeble self-healing ability, and for some reason the ability to speak with animals and plants.
Pretty much everything monks could do in early versions of D&D were taken from David Carradine's character in the Kung Fu TV series. Apparently, someone at Gygax's table wanted to play "the guy from Kung Fu" and Gygax said "sure" and whipped up some rules for him, so the class is just a random agglomeration of half-remembered things from a TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FMguru posted:

Pretty much everything monks could do in early versions of D&D were taken from David Carradine's character in the Kung Fu TV series. Apparently, someone at Gygax's table wanted to play "the guy from Kung Fu" and Gygax said "sure" and whipped up some rules for him, so the class is just a random agglomeration of half-remembered things from a TV show.

The best way to play D&D.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've variously heard that the primary inspirations for the monk were Remo Williams and Carl Douglas' "Kung Fu Fighting." The timing is definitely right for both.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Oh man...

quote:

Recently I was at Dragonflight's 36th year of conventioning in the Bellevue, WA area. I was there with PlaytestNW as an designer demoing my board game prototype, having a great time. Dragonflight is a very small con- I'm used to going to PAX every year- and I kept seeing someone that was catching my eye.

I don't know if it's because I really recognized him, or if it was just because he stood out so much from the crowd. Most of the con-goers were the average hardcore tabletop crowd: moppish haircuts, unkempt beards and faded nerd t-shirts tucked into high-waisted, highwater jeans. Not this man.

He would move at a fast pace between tables and it was hard for me to get a good enough look at him to be sure, but features kept popping out. Tailored, fitted suede jacket with subtle gothic designs in the pattern and details. A tasteful grey mohawk that would be the rival of any russian blue fancier. A complete lack of stubble on either his face or sides of his mohawk betrayed immaculate grooming.

Before I knew it he caught me glancing at him, our eyes met. Panicking inside, I thought of something to say, anything. "Hi, would you like to play a board game?" Stupid. So stupid. His quick devilish grin and sly look gave him a definite air of arrogance and self importance- but in a way that was distinctly charming and at the same time almost self-depreciating. He holds out his hand, "Yes, my name is Raven McCracken," are his first words to me. "I created the World of Synnibar." He handed me his business card, it is a trading card with him dressed as a Jedi with photoshopped Force powers and his "official Jedi name".

And that's how I met Raven McCracken last weekend.

Yes, that's actually McCracken's business card.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It always amuses the poo poo out of me when grown men are just completely living the dream of whatever they thought was cool when they were 13 years old.

quote:

Tailored, fitted suede jacket with subtle gothic designs in the pattern and details. A tasteful grey mohawk that would be the rival of any russian blue fancier. A complete lack of stubble on either his face or sides of his mohawk betrayed immaculate grooming.

And that's how I met Raven McCracken last weekend.
Oh, don't be coy. Raven c.s. McCracken is a tender lover, I bet.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Halloween Jack posted:

It always amuses the poo poo out of me when grown men are just completely living the dream of whatever they thought was cool when they were 13 years old.

gently caress it, if most of us were able to pull it off, we totally would.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Monks should just get more enlightened as they level up, eventually transcending the illusion of reality.

3.0 already did that (sort of). :v:

D20 SRD posted:

Perfect Self
At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

FMguru posted:

Oh man...

Yes, that's actually McCracken's business card.

But why isn't his quote "I created the World of Synnibar"?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I always saw monk psionics as some sort of ki thing, honestly.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

The Bee posted:

Is there really a difference?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

The Bee posted:

At one point in 4e they were going to have a "ki" power source, but then they realized how racist it was to have "IS ASIAN" as a power source and changed the monk to be psionic - thus why it sorta doesn't fit in with the other psionic classes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ProfessorCirno posted:

At one point in 4e they were going to have a "ki" power source, but then they realized how racist it was to have "IS ASIAN" as a power source and changed the monk to be psionic - thus why it sorta doesn't fit in with the other psionic classes.

Allegedly the Runepriest and Seeker were originally designed for the Ki power source as well, which might explain why they are so orphaned in terms of support and why the Seeker in particular isn't really very good.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

gradenko_2000 posted:

IIRC the Monk was originally a hybrid between a Cleric since they could cast Divine Magic, and then a Thief so that they would have Thief skills, and then they just had a specific bonus to let their unarmed strikes hit as hard as weapons.

The OD&D monk was nominally a Cleric sub-class, though they didn't really have much more in common with the Cleric than they did with the Fighter, mechanically or conceptually. One of the many attempts that 2e made to reintroduce the Monk concept was a specialty priest who traded some clerical spellcasting spheres for martial arts proficiencies, but that's the only time the Monk was an actual Cleric variant in more than just name.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Bee posted:

Ki is a concept of Martial Arts the fighter would use ki just as much as a monk would the only reason to separate the two is to make the fighter more mundane.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also fundamental to traditional Chinese medicine, Geomancy (Feng Shui), etc. If you *really* want to go there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 15, 2015

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

FMguru posted:

The other thing about the AD&D Thief is that Gygax' approach to designing the class appears to have been to take a thief, and give it some random abilities and that's why its power level is awful. (The self-heal catches its hp back up with a thief of the same XP for example).

The 3.0 monk was a bad case of Cargo-Cult design, looking at the abilities and not even noticing that it was balanced against the rogues. So whereas the rogue went from 8 thief skills to 8 + Int Modifier skill points/level, the Monk went from 6 Thief Skills to 4+Int modifier skill points/level.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

quote:

quote:

Recently, I was very disappointed by a sidebar in Starvation Cheap for Stars Without Numbers that discussed how the differences between men and women made women generally unsuitable for combat roles and talked about how to use fantastic super-technology to "justify" female characters in infantry combat roles.
That one is history, not sexism. Firearms have equalized the situation somewhat but there are no two ways about it, physical strength matters and men have more of it on average. Besides that, you need fewer males to sustain a population through reproduction so they're more expendable. And that's before even getting into cultural mores which mostly have discouraged (to say the least) the use of women on the front lines.

So unless you want to rewrite history to suit your personal worldview, there's nothing wrong in that sidebar.

Stars Without Number is, of course, a sci-fi game, and like all sci-fi, it must hew closely to the historical record.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

neonchameleon posted:

The other thing about the AD&D Thief is that Gygax' approach to designing the class appears to have been to take a thief, and give it some random abilities and that's why its power level is awful. (The self-heal catches its hp back up with a thief of the same XP for example).

The 3.0 monk was a bad case of Cargo-Cult design, looking at the abilities and not even noticing that it was balanced against the rogues. So whereas the rogue went from 8 thief skills to 8 + Int Modifier skill points/level, the Monk went from 6 Thief Skills to 4+Int modifier skill points/level.

Of course that in turn reveals how hilariously inept some of the 3.0 design was, as Thieves went from 8 thief skills and 3+int NWPs to having 8+int skill points/level. Except those thief skills got further divided up; Find/Remove Traps became two different skills; Use Scrolls went from an inherent ability to yet ANOTHER skill they had to learn; they lost the ability to climb sheer walls (as Climb was now a universal skill); Read Languages became ANOTHER skill they'd have to learn. Etc, etc. The counterbalance in theory is that rogues in AD&D only had, what, 60 points (I think?) to spread amongst their skills, so you'd end up with the same issue of some skills having higher points then others - and indeed in AD&D it was all on a percentile roll, so a level 1 rogue had a starkly less then 50% chance to succeed at ANYTHING. Of course, the return again is that with NWPs and thief skills there was a cap on how good you needed them to be, so you could simply stop leveling one skill and focus on another.

This isn't to say the AD&D thief was better then the 3.0 rogue (good heavens no, the AD&D thief was a rancid pile of poo poo), but it is to say that 3.0 was really lazy and the developers rarely thought their design ideas all the way through. Or even half the way through. The monk is a great example of just blindly repeating AD&D after completely changing the system so none of AD&D's actual systems remain.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

neonchameleon posted:

The cargo cult thing is a huge problem in and of itself with how monk abilities interact with ability scores in 3.x too. Since they're melee fighters they need Str/Dex/Con by default to hit and take hits. And they're gonna be taking hits since flurry of blows is a full-round action and why would you get that ability and not try to use it?

Then they also will need a good Wis score since they get an AC bonus from that too.

Oh, and don't forget INT if you want to use the decent variety of skills you get; you'll probably want tumble buffed up at every level at least, plus stealth skills and perception stuff.

You'd think that would leave you with Cha as a dump stat, but then why the heck would you get tongue of the sun and moon, which allows you to speak every language? Well I hope you've been putting skill points in your diplomacy/bluff skills for the past 18 levels and your Cha isn't atrocious because otherwise that sweet power the wizard has been able to do since level 5 is totally useless for you :v:

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Get out your bingo cards, it's time for a D&D 4E review from a guy who doesn't even like D&D!

Rejoice!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LatwPIAT posted:

Get out your bingo cards, it's time for a D&D 4E review from a guy who doesn't even like D&D!

Rejoice!

I was trying to remember what RPGSite shitpile grog dump I vaguely remember the name "Lindybeige" from, but then I remembered he just makes historical war essay videos and first showed up in this thread with a "Haha, suck it players" D&D video.

His interest in war and battle seems like it would be a perfect fit for D&D4, but welp.

FAKE EDIT: Haha, "four hour fight with five kobolds" gently caress off.

"What even are hit points!?" ---> "Healing surges are bullshit because hit points represent physical damage!"

loving tool.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On the one hand that guy makes a ton of videos griping about how poo poo in D&D isn't realistic, regardless of edition.

On the other hand, poo poo in D&D not being realistic is, like, loving duh, dude. There's even one where he professes to like RuneQuest as a better representation of medieval combat or whatever, but then goes right on talking about D&D anyway as if there was some phantom force compelling people to play D&D all the time.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
This guy's voice sounds exactly like a british comedian impersonating someone richer than him.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I like lindybeige when he's talking about shields and armour and crap, never knew he had opinions about games

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

drunkencarp posted:

That one is history, not sexism. Firearms have equalized the situation somewhat but there are no two ways about it, physical strength matters and men have more of it on average. Besides that, you need fewer males to sustain a population through reproduction so they're more expendable. And that's before even getting into cultural mores which mostly have discouraged (to say the least) the use of women on the front lines.

So unless you want to rewrite history to suit your personal worldview, there's nothing wrong in that sidebar.

Stars Without Number is, of course, a sci-fi game, and like all sci-fi, it must hew closely to the historical record.
[/quote]

Facist, sexist scifi (:ssh: and for that matter fantasy) has been the norm for the genre for most of its history. Its hardly surprising that so many terrible people rage out when confronted with something that breaks the mold.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

drunkencarp posted:

[/quote]

I agree with the first quote though. If that's a thing actually written in Starvation Cheap, that's kind of disappointing for Crawford.

We all have our blind spots?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

starkebn posted:

I like lindybeige when he's talking about shields and armour and crap, never knew he had opinions about games

Yeah I've learned a good amount. Also his rants about other stuff are better avoided as well.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Watch a hobo dressed like a philosophy professor absolutely destroy the concept of dual wielding over 7 minutes.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

gradenko_2000 posted:

quote:

I agree with the first quote though. If that's a thing actually written in Starvation Cheap, that's kind of disappointing for Crawford.

We all have our blind spots?

The text in the current Starvation Cheap beta (emphasis added):

Kevin Crawford posted:

Women and Men In Uniform
Historically, the overwhelming majority of soldiers have been male. Numerous factors have produced this result, including points of physical strength, resilience to injury, hygiene issues, reproductive expendability, unit discipline challenges, and ingrained cultural values. Despite this, women have always fought in defense of their persons and homes, and regular units such as the amazons of Dahomey or the female snipers and combat pilots of WWII-era Russia have served with distinction.

Most groups are likely to want to leave the door open to female infantry PCs and similar tip-of-the-spear characters. There’s no reason that the GM and the group can’t simply wave such PCs into place. Female infantry in such armies or mercenary legions are simply par for the course and exist in whatever number the group requires.

Different worlds may have different arrangements for their armed forces, usually based on a mixture of culture, planetary environment, demographics, and the magnitude of sexual dimorphism in the population. Some might be rigidly reserved for one gender, usually the most culturally expendable, while others may have varying degrees of integration. Most of the time, these details won’t be important unless the GM decides to do something unusual with them.

There is a great deal of unusualness possible in the myriad worlds of humanity. Organized conflict is the product of countless factors, among them circumstance, environment, ideology, and biology. Any of these elements can be drastically altered by the influence of alien worlds, eccentric societies, and technological manipulation.

Groups interested in exploring gender roles in combat can do so easily under these circumstances, though as with any touchy issue, it’s best to be sure that the group really does want to explore the issue. The conflict between members of societies with different ideas about the place of women – or men – in combat can make for drama in the barracks and on the battlefield.

These issues can be further complicated by the effects of pretech gengineering, heavy-gravity worlds, or exotic biochemical influences from an alien world’s ecosystem. The usual concerns and arguments of the modern day may not even be relevant to the populations of many far-flung worlds, and entirely different concerns might shape them.

This difference can be particularly useful when the GM wants to introduce an exceptionally alien force. The PCs might find themselves fighting alongside or against military units that just don’t operate based on the same values as they do. Whether due to biological differences, cultural strictures, or the influence of their environment, these units can be used to emphasize the fact that the many worlds of humanity differ in ways that are more than skin deep.

Also, the Starvation Cheap Kickstarter has about 24 hours left, if you're interested.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

When reading, I interpret that as saying kind of the opposite of what the earlier grog did. " There sure has been a lot of male soldiers, huh? Whatever. Don't worry about any kind of half-rear end 'historical realism' or anything, you can just have female mercenaries, no sensible person will give a poo poo. Only worry at all if you're dealing with culture (or races) explicitly written as unusual in some way."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tolan posted:

The text in the current Starvation Cheap beta (emphasis added):

Also, the Starvation Cheap Kickstarter has about 24 hours left, if you're interested.

Oh okay. That sounds perfectly correct and reasonable and not groggy at all.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

The counterbalance in theory is that rogues in AD&D only had, what, 60 points (I think?) to spread amongst their skills, so you'd end up with the same issue of some skills having higher points then others - and indeed in AD&D it was all on a percentile roll, so a level 1 rogue had a starkly less then 50% chance to succeed at ANYTHING.

AD&D Thieves get flat % chances, not points to distribute. That starts in 2nd ed.

1st level thieves are still crap (between 10% and 30% chance unmodified by race) at everything except climbing walls, where they have an 85% chance to succeed. A 12th level thief (same xp as a fighter 9) is gonna have >100% in a few thief skills, especially if they chose Halfling as their race.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The idea of having a flat percentage chance to pull off any of the thief skills was cool as far as really empowering the thief in their own wheelhouse: it could be a door locked by Satan himself and he'd still be able to pick it absent the DM being a prohibitive dick or botching the DC estimation.

It's just that the chance was way too low. I play with a houserule I borrowed from somewhere else I read where all thief skills are at 50% to begin with and they gain another 4% per level.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

In 2e, we used to just say "If anyone else can even try this (thing covered by a thief skill), the thief doesn't even need to roll". So what's listed in the % chance for the thief to do a thing that, for anyone else, is flat-out impossible.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I never quite understood why Open Lock DCs were so freakin' high in 3.x, even for simple/average locks. It's already a trained-only skill, so it's not like you need to niche-protect for trained characters. Why is it as hard for a rogue with trained Open Lock to pick a "good" lock -- you know, the ones that cost 80 gp, are freely available for sale and light enough for a character to carry around for downtime practice, and are likely to be encountered multiple times per dungeon -- as it is for a wizard with trained Knowledge (planes) to identify an obscure outsider known only from dusty tomes and last seen on the Prime Material Plane before living memory? Why is opening an "amazing" lock, which costs all of 150 gp and is probably the security standard for anyone wealthy enough for a mid-level and up thief to even care, a task of equivalent difficulty (DC 40) to some lower-end epic skill uses?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

To encourage you to cast knock instead.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The idea of having a flat percentage chance to pull off any of the thief skills was cool as far as really empowering the thief in their own wheelhouse: it could be a door locked by Satan himself and he'd still be able to pick it absent the DM being a prohibitive dick or botching the DC estimation.

It's just that the chance was way too low. I play with a houserule I borrowed from somewhere else I read where all thief skills are at 50% to begin with and they gain another 4% per level.
There are a bunch of modifiers in the 1e DMG for the quality of the lock, the tools used, etc. So no, it doesn't give the thief a flat chance for any lock.

Then again who knows how Gary actually ran it at his table. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the stuff in the DMG he just made up as he was writing it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

On the one hand that guy makes a ton of videos griping about how poo poo in D&D isn't realistic, regardless of edition.

On the other hand, poo poo in D&D not being realistic is, like, loving duh, dude. There's even one where he professes to like RuneQuest as a better representation of medieval combat or whatever, but then goes right on talking about D&D anyway as if there was some phantom force compelling people to play D&D all the time.

There's a lot of people who hate D&D and yet still play it for a variety of reasons. Anything from "nobody runs the games I like and I want to play not DM" to "I'm a D&D fan even if I hate everything in it" or even "But of course I play D&D, it's D&D!"

Antivehicular posted:

I never quite understood why Open Lock DCs were so freakin' high in 3.x, even for simple/average locks. It's already a trained-only skill, so it's not like you need to niche-protect for trained characters. Why is it as hard for a rogue with trained Open Lock to pick a "good" lock -- you know, the ones that cost 80 gp, are freely available for sale and light enough for a character to carry around for downtime practice, and are likely to be encountered multiple times per dungeon -- as it is for a wizard with trained Knowledge (planes) to identify an obscure outsider known only from dusty tomes and last seen on the Prime Material Plane before living memory? Why is opening an "amazing" lock, which costs all of 150 gp and is probably the security standard for anyone wealthy enough for a mid-level and up thief to even care, a task of equivalent difficulty (DC 40) to some lower-end epic skill uses?

The 3.x DCs were built around whatever the devs thought would be most "realistic." At no point in time throughout the entire development of 3.x did they really pay attention to how any of their mechanics actually worked together. It also suffers a lot from "Oh he's totally level 20." As in "Aragorn? Oh he's totally level 20. Conan? Oh he's totally level 20. Robin Hood? Oh he's totally level 20."

Basically design for martial characters and martial exploits in 3.x (and of course now in 5e as well) starts with "pick a fictional character. H's totally level 20, so that's the cap." Magic spells on the other hand tend to be the opposite; "what's powerful and awesome enough to be the highest level spell?"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sailor Viy posted:

There are a bunch of modifiers in the 1e DMG for the quality of the lock, the tools used, etc. So no, it doesn't give the thief a flat chance for any lock.

Then again who knows how Gary actually ran it at his table. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the stuff in the DMG he just made up as he was writing it.

I just finished reading the PHB about an hour ago, and this strongly describes my impression of it. I like all the unenforced "musts." A bard MUST have a stringed instrument at all times. Or what, Gary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

There's a lot of people who hate D&D and yet still play it for a variety of reasons. Anything from "nobody runs the games I like and I want to play not DM" to "I'm a D&D fan even if I hate everything in it" or even "But of course I play D&D, it's D&D!"

I'm really trying nowadays to get out of the d20 hole just to broaden my horizons (despite the fact that I'm running 3 different D&D PbPs! Oh well) Games that do gritty combat out-of-the-box, games that don't use Vancian casting, games that are class-less and/or heavily skill based, games where "to-hit" and "damage reduction from armor" are different things out of the box.

HeroQuest, Strike!, the GUMSHOE series, the whole panoply of Chaosium/roll-under-percentile games, the d6 system, that sort of thing.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The 3.x DCs were built around whatever the devs thought would be most "realistic." At no point in time throughout the entire development of 3.x did they really pay attention to how any of their mechanics actually worked together. It also suffers a lot from "Oh he's totally level 20." As in "Aragorn? Oh he's totally level 20. Conan? Oh he's totally level 20. Robin Hood? Oh he's totally level 20."

Basically design for martial characters and martial exploits in 3.x (and of course now in 5e as well) starts with "pick a fictional character. H's totally level 20, so that's the cap." Magic spells on the other hand tend to be the opposite; "what's powerful and awesome enough to be the highest level spell?"

So I'm doing this F&F review of HARP, which is a stripped-down version of Rolemaster, which in turn I've heard repeatedly mentioned as a progenitor of 3rd Edition D&D given how Monte Cook used to work on RM.

And I'm beginning to see the similarities: even if RM uses percentile dice, the bumps and bonuses and penalties are mostly in multiples of 5, which means you can reduce it down to d20. Except 3rd Edition moved to a DM-arbitrated DC rather than "success on a 20 or better" that would be the equivalent of RM's "success on a 100 or better". I guess it comes from the whole rules-as-physics schtick of 3e, where you have to assign a specific DC to any given activity that might be performed in the world in a vacuum, rather than "okay Bob wants to benchpress the Ogre. Do I give him a +2 or a -2?" against a single target number.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 16, 2015

• Locked thread