Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I didn't watch the video, but lying is easily the fastest way to lose your job as a cop. If you lose your integrity in the eyes of the court you're dead in the water.

Not a cop, but as a prosecutor, I agree. A cop who has lied in the past is worse than useless to me as a witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As a prosecutor do you think it's appropriate to charge those officers with crimes?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Volume posted:

As a prosecutor do you think it's appropriate to charge those officers with crimes?

I'm going to give the standard lawyer answer: "It depends"

What kind of a lie are we talking about?

(NOTE DnD posters looking for ammo...I am not defending lying cops. I am just acknowledging that there are varying degrees of misconduct and some levels are better addressed by loss of job than criminal convictions)

EDIT: If we are talking specifically about this case? Not turning over the footage leaves me open to a Brady allegation. So gently caress those guys.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 16, 2015

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ActusRhesus posted:

What kind of a lie are we talking about?

The kind of lies in the video I posted

Edit: you edited in the answer already

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ActusRhesus posted:

(NOTE DnD posters looking for ammo...I am not defending lying cops. I am just acknowledging that there are varying degrees of misconduct and some levels are better addressed by loss of job than criminal convictions)

Do you have the same sort of "varying degrees of misconduct" attitude towards non-cops?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Volume posted:

The kind of lies in the video I posted

Edit: you edited in the answer already

yeah, hiding exculpatory evidence is something I have zero tolerance for.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Volume posted:

Do you have the same sort of "varying degrees of misconduct" attitude towards non-cops?

yeah. We tend to do a lot of Accelerated rehabilitation and diversionary programs for low level offenders.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Volume posted:

thats a standard thing across the justice system, what are you even prodding about?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I think he's trying to get him to admit he's a bootlicking cop apologist. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I think he's trying to get him to admit he's a bootlicking cop apologist. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

traumatic head injury cures pigs! tear the system down man!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Whip Slagcheek posted:

*her.

:D

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ActusRhesus posted:

Not a cop, but as a prosecutor, I agree. A cop who has lied in the past is worse than useless to me as a witness.

Is your case pretty much hosed at that point? What are the odds of salvaging it? I know this is dependent on the situation but ballpark it for me.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

How YOU doin'

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Whip Slagcheek posted:

How YOU doin'

:quagmire:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Volume posted:

No, justice is black and white and no non-cops are ever shown any leniency in the criminal justice system, nor discretion from police, ever at anytime whatsoever.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Cole posted:

Is your case pretty much hosed at that point? What are the odds of salvaging it? I know this is dependent on the situation but ballpark it for me.

honestly it would depend on the independent evidence. I can't really answer that.

Plus there's the wild card of jury nullification if the jury is pissed enough.

Fun side note, as a prosecutor, I am responsible for the entire police file, whether I know it exists or not, so if someone fails to turn something over to me, it's still a Brady violation....cue SJWs railing about PROSECUTOR MISCONDUCT!!!!!

No, I don't think a prosecutor should be disbarred because they didn't turn over a document they didn't know existed. And sometimes it's not even shadiness on the cop's end.

Example: Recent appeal I did, cop responds to a sexual abuse of a minor case. Calls the Child abuse hotline and hands it over to them, as is protocol. Writes his own brief report which is redundant with the child case worker report, but since it's no longer his case doesn't file it. Defense calls him as a witness. While prepping him before his testimony, Cop says to defense counsel "I don't remember, can I check my report?" This is the first anyone knew he had written one. Report is produced and contains the same info as the main case file.

Misconduct? Should the cop or the prosecutor be punished? Sure the defendant has a claim that the late disclosure may have prejudiced his case (if it contained different info) But does anyone need to be "punished"?

This is where I have a problem with DnD cries of "rampant proprietorial misconduct" Sure you have cases like Orange County, and I think every one of those fucks should be disbarred. But most "proprietorial misconduct" is poo poo like the above example, or saying the word "victim" during closing argument, hence the harmless error analysis.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
How can you have any kind of constructive or educated discussion with people who literally believe that the entirety of law enforcement is either corrupt, full of institutional racism, flat out evil, or all three combined?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cop gay. So What posted:

How can you have any kind of constructive or educated discussion with people who literally believe that the entirety of law enforcement is either corrupt, full of institutional racism, flat out evil, or all three combined?

Very carefully lmfao

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Cop gay. So What posted:

you mean between the regular probations?

not easy.

Equine Don posted:

Very carefully lmfao

Yeah, but you take pictures of riots, so they have an e-boner for you.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 16, 2015

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Cop gay. So What posted:

As a duly instituted member of the 4th Estate, cops and protesters are whatever my news director decides they are.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

ActusRhesus posted:

Yeah, but you take pictures of riots, so they have an e-boner for you.

I'm both a racist bootlicker and an undercover leftist agitator. Nobody can make up their mind.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 16, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Equine Don posted:

Very carefully lmfao

Actual post from a D&D FTP thread....

Greataval posted:

If you don't view the cops as the enemy after evrything you see reported just think of everything not getting reported. Then i don't even loving know anymore.

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
Yeah but people are generally idiots.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Equine Don posted:

I'm both a racist bootlicker and an undercover leftist agitator. Nobody can make up their mind.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cop gay. So What posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arguing with people on the Internet is a waste of time. Thankfully none of these people have any actual real power to impact society and are too busy yelling at other people on the Internet to care.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Cop gay. So What posted:

justice is black and white

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Cop gay. So What posted:

No but see the cops view everything as "Us vs Them" and furthermore

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay got a reporter question for you guys.

Most of the local departments don't have Public Information officers, they aren't big enough for that. And some days it's hard trying to call up a Lieutenant to schedule an interview or to give a statement over the phone. Does it bug you having a news outlet send someone in person down to the station to get a statement?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Phuzzy posted:

Okay got a reporter question for you guys.

Most of the local departments don't have Public Information officers, they aren't big enough for that. And some days it's hard trying to call up a Lieutenant to schedule an interview or to give a statement over the phone. Does it bug you having a news outlet send someone in person down to the station to get a statement?

It bothers in the sense that some slick sleeve schmo has now gotta swing by to tell you in person what you were probably told over the phone. The chances of a "Walk In" reporter getting a statement at most departments is about 0% without prior scheduling or contacts.

On the plus side you may be able to convince the new guy to give you a quote """off the record""".

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

No because the PIO is on call 24 hours a day and if nothing else the shift commander is authorized to speak on behalf of the department. :shrug:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

No because the PIO is on call 24 hours a day and if nothing else the shift commander is authorized to speak on behalf of the department. :shrug:

:lol: 24 hours a day meaning monday thru friday between the hours of 9 and 5, probably more like 4 and definitely like 2 on fridays.

You know, you are right. The phone is on 24 hours a day. Whether you will get an answer or a call back is another story. No shift commanders he will speak, even if authorized. Admin command would be livid, they want the TV time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cop gay. So What posted:

i read that whole thread and now i want to be a cop

Who What Now posted:

What are you talking about, Cops can and do go after people who aren't suspects in a crime literally all the time. Christ, you'd have to be deliberately ignoring pretty much everything in the news lately to believe the crap you're spewing.

seriously it sounds pretty sweet, do you get paid a volume bonus for arrests? give me my star and jackboots TIA

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Untagged posted:

:lol: 24 hours a day meaning monday thru friday between the hours of 9 and 5, probably more like 4 and definitely like 2 on fridays.

You know, you are right. The phone is on 24 hours a day. Whether you will get an answer or a call back is another story. No shift commanders he will speak, even if authorized. Admin command would be livid, they want the TV time.

Nah ours will actually come out.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Funny thing, we're a radio outfit and I've found the fact that phone interviews work just as well as in person ones helps some of the departments. They don't mind talking but apparently gently caress having to stand out and get filmed.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.facebook.com/BeavertonPoliceDepartment/posts/346485752040659

No unfortunately its not that Mike Rowe.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Arguing with people on the Internet is a waste of time. Thankfully none of these people have any actual real power to impact society and are too busy yelling at other people on the Internet to care.

I tried to post in the old CotB threads and trying to be insightful and informative while not rising to their level of vitriol and ignorance was more stressful than the actual job was.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Man that'd be awesome though. I don't think Media Jackass is a Dirty Enough Job for him though.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Phuzzy posted:

Funny thing, we're a radio outfit and I've found the fact that phone interviews work just as well as in person ones helps some of the departments. They don't mind talking but apparently gently caress having to stand out and get filmed.

What up, radio buddy? :hfive:

One of the things that worked wonders for me, being in a small town with no dedicated Public Information Officer, was putting together a regular show featuring the chief of police. He got used to being interviewed, started working more closely with us, and was more forthcoming with information when we needed it. Plus, people loved being able to call in and bitch about red-light runners on main street to the chief. :v:

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The DC Police Chief does that with WTOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Whip Slagcheek where is your avatar from?

• Locked thread