Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

They're more likely to knock it over, actually. They understand hot.

Cool. That's more or less what I was expecting. Well, they're cheap, so not the end of the world if they wreck one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hey so a dog chased one of my cats into a bush and she's been gone for a couple days :saddowns: She used to be an outside cat but has been indoors for a couple of years, and we've just moved to this house 3 weeks ago so she doesn't know the territory. I tried calling for her and listening but there are a million crickets/cicadas. She's pretty scaredy so I'd think that she'd just hide somewhere for a day (she's done that before) but I'm not sure if I should start posting signs and checking shelters or if I'm being paranoid and she's on walkabout, or...? I've left food out last night, it wasn't touched. Suggestions for a worried cat parent?

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

black.lion posted:

Hey so a dog chased one of my cats into a bush and she's been gone for a couple days :saddowns: She used to be an outside cat but has been indoors for a couple of years, and we've just moved to this house 3 weeks ago so she doesn't know the territory. I tried calling for her and listening but there are a million crickets/cicadas. She's pretty scaredy so I'd think that she'd just hide somewhere for a day (she's done that before) but I'm not sure if I should start posting signs and checking shelters or if I'm being paranoid and she's on walkabout, or...? I've left food out last night, it wasn't touched. Suggestions for a worried cat parent?

I've seen people have luck leaving things that smell familiar outside near where the animal was lost. Do you have a sweater or blanket that smells like you that you could put out for her?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I had a blanket she liked by the door, I'll put something else over by where I saw her run into the woods as well. Thanks.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Leave the sweater AND a bowl of water. Food will just get eaten by other animals, but once she recognizes the area, she will likely need water.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Quick question, going to cook sea bass tonight, can I give my cat the (raw) head?

I looked it up, but results are varied, some say yes, cat are used to dealing with bones, some say no, cat will choke/get diseases/et cetera. Yes, the fish is fresh (otherwise I wouldn't eat it). Any thoughts?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Vampess posted:

Quick question, going to cook sea bass tonight, can I give my cat the (raw) head?

I looked it up, but results are varied, some say yes, cat are used to dealing with bones, some say no, cat will choke/get diseases/et cetera. Yes, the fish is fresh (otherwise I wouldn't eat it). Any thoughts?

I personally wouldn't risk it. Slice the cheeks off, sear them, then give them to the cat instead!

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
I was thinking more of the lovely mushroom looking gills (:stonk:) and the bits of meat left from cutting it. I don't know if I have the stomach to slice off cheeks after snapping off the head (again, :stonk:). I tend to side with people saying that cats are used to dealing with small bones, but when it comes to it, I'd rather err on the side of caution, and toss the whole head away.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I took my kitten in for spaying and she had a reaction to the anesthetic. She never woke up. :(

I'm numb. They're refunding the spaying cost and covering the cost of cremation.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

demota posted:

I took my kitten in for spaying and she had a reaction to the anesthetic. She never woke up. :(

I'm numb. They're refunding the spaying cost and covering the cost of cremation.

Aw, man. That is awful. It's one of those things you know is possible but is so rare you don't really take it seriously. My condolences.

:glomp:

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
I'm so, so sorry :(

There's no words. I'd sue them, or throw a brick through their window (probably not, I'm a wimp). But Jesus Christ, I can imagine being numb. I'm so sorry for your loss :(

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

demota posted:

I'm really sorry. I tend to not get emotional, but the thought of this tore me up hard.

:sympathy:

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Vampess posted:

I'm so, so sorry :(

There's no words. I'd sue them, or throw a brick through their window (probably not, I'm a wimp). But Jesus Christ, I can imagine being numb. I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Why the hell would you sue a vet clinic for a random reaction. Spays are routine procedures, it would have been sheer lovely bad luck not malpractice.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

Tamarillo posted:

Why the hell would you sue a vet clinic for a random reaction. Spays are routine procedures, it would have been sheer lovely bad luck not malpractice.

Because of the chances, and them offering to pay for cremation? I'm sorry, this might just be the cynical in me talking, but *rare condition* vs *whoops, we hosed up, let's blame X and pay for the bills*. Cremation of all things. You'd want an autopsy first. But seriously, that's not the first thing you'd be thinking of, and just, be sympathetic instead of nitpicking what little ol' cynical me would think.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
you are dumb

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

Kerfuffle posted:

you are dumb

Well, I'm glad we diverted attention from demota's situation!

Again demota, you have my deepest sympathies, I'm sorry I made an ill advised comment.

codespace
May 3, 2011

Vampess posted:

Because of the chances, and them offering to pay for cremation? I'm sorry, this might just be the cynical in me talking, but *rare condition* vs *whoops, we hosed up, let's blame X and pay for the bills*. Cremation of all things. You'd want an autopsy first. But seriously, that's not the first thing you'd be thinking of, and just, be sympathetic instead of nitpicking what little ol' cynical me would think.

It's a procedure they perform sometimes multiple times a day, thousands of times a year. The likelihood of surgical error vs anesthetic complication is infinitesimally small. Offering to cover the cost of cremation is a kindness, not a coverup. And really, an autopsy? This isn't CSI.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
Hi! I haven't posted in PI in a million years - it's fun to be back :)

I'm posting because my girl cat Lily is going bald on her tummy - kind of. She's not down to the skin, it's more like a velour feeling. The reason I haven't taken her to the vet for it is because I'm completely wiped out after her brother had to be hospitalized for his second(!) urethral blockage in a year. I feel guilty that I haven't taken her in recently, and have justified it with the fact that she's always been the no-maintenance healthy one :smith:. Anyway, she hasn't been over-grooming, I've noticed no itching or scratching, and there's no obvious irritation on her belly. Based on a little Googling I think the reason might be stress, but the only change in her life lately has been the elimination of dry food. Both cats love their wet food and snarf it happily, but Lily really misses the dry so I've been giving her little treats of it when I can watch her and make sure Boris (her brother) doesn't steal any.

(a quick side-story: she and her brother Boris have always free-fed dry food throughout the day with wet food served in the morning and at night. I'd previously assumed that Boris didn't eat much of the dry food because I hardly ever saw him eating it, so after his first blockage I didn't eliminate it. After his second blockage, I took it away altogether and discovered that he totally was snarfing it because he was much hungrier at meal times and was looking for the dry food once it was gone :downsgun:. I'm hoping that he won't become reobstructed, but if he does I might have to finance a penectomy :gonk: )

Sex: Female
How long have you had your cat? Since kittenhood (less than 1 yo)
Is your cat spayed? Yes
What food do you use? Fancy Feast wet with the occasional Iams senior dry food as a treat
When was your last vet visit? A little more than a year ago
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoor only
How many pets in your household? 3 - two cats and a dog
How many litter boxes do you have? 1

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that she's kind of tubby :downs:

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Thanks for the sympathies, everyone. I looked it up and this kind of reaction happens 0.24% of the time. Which is not the same as 0%.

I don't know how long it'll be before I pick up another cat or kitten. I'll definitely get her spayed, but it's going to be extremely hard to do that without feeling like something awful is going to happen.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
:sigh: Jayne and Kaylee sat together in the bedroom with my wife yesterday. I walked in, talked about how happy I was to see it. 2 minutes later, they started fighting :( Introducing a new cat into a household is super stressful.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

demota posted:

Thanks for the sympathies, everyone. I looked it up and this kind of reaction happens 0.24% of the time. Which is not the same as 0%.

I don't know how long it'll be before I pick up another cat or kitten. I'll definitely get her spayed, but it's going to be extremely hard to do that without feeling like something awful is going to happen.

Why not adopt a kitten that's already spayed?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
One of my cat's is acting sick. He had a single bout of diarrhea and meows if you poke/touch anywhere near the rear quarters. He's still eating and drinking food, but does seem noticeably more lethargic.

He's about 9 months old, up to date on his shots. Same with our 1 year old cat who's fine. How worried should I be?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Can anyone recommend me good odorless natural cat litter that isn't so fine where my cat leaves a huge mess of it around the litter box? I'm not sure but I would assume I should be looking for one that doesn't clump / non flushable?

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Protocol7 posted:

One of my cat's is acting sick. He had a single bout of diarrhea and meows if you poke/touch anywhere near the rear quarters. He's still eating and drinking food, but does seem noticeably more lethargic.

He's about 9 months old, up to date on his shots. Same with our 1 year old cat who's fine. How worried should I be?

Feel his belly - does it feel bloated? I'm forever paranoid of urethral obstructions in boy cats :ohdear:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

demota posted:

I'm really sorry for your loss. To echo Britt Burns, why not adopt a kitten or older cat who's already been fixed? Most animal shelters will have their animals spayed or neutered before they're sent home with adopters, and any of them older than a couple of months will probably be fixed before you even meet them. That way, you can adopt an animal with no surgery on the horizon and hopefully be less anxious.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

So I went to a cat show today to look at the pretty kitties and shop a bit but ended up getting involved with a feline paternity scandal :psyduck:

I have two purebred Burmese cats, Jimmy who is a retired show cat and Wendy who was only used for breeding before we got her. Jimmy cost us $200 from a breeder that we met at a show who wanted to gradually downsize her operations. Wendy was free and I found her via a Facebook post from a breeder who was getting out of business and was giving away adults for free. She even had Wendy's pedigree in the online database and seemed otherwise legit.

Jimmy's breeders were at the show and when we mentioned the name of Wendy's cattery, they told us about an ongoing lawsuit against the breeder for falsifying pedigrees. Apparently she decided to go into early retirement when the scandal broke out and did a fire sale which was how we got Wendy. Now she's back in the game again. There were some other Burmese breeders at the show too and nobody had anything kind to say about Wendy's breeder, even calling her a con artist :catstare:

Learned a lot about the issues that her cats had, both health and personality which explains a lot about Wendy. No health issues yet but I think I might take her to the vet and request heart & kidney testing so I don't get blindsided in the future. The heart issue typically pops up when the cat is five, Wendy is seven so they think that she's probably a carrier so she should be ok.

They asked if I'd provide a DNA swab from Wendy for paternity testing and there's going to be a kit sent to me soon. All I have to do is stick a couple of swabs in her mouth then send them to UC Davis.

I just have no idea how the gently caress to deal with all of this. All I wanted to was to look at pretty kitties :(

This is Wendy and yes, we did buy the blankets because they matched the cats.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tomato Soup posted:

So I went to a cat show today to look at the pretty kitties and shop a bit but ended up getting involved with a feline paternity scandal :psyduck:

I have two purebred Burmese cats, Jimmy who is a retired show cat and Wendy who was only used for breeding before we got her. Jimmy cost us $200 from a breeder that we met at a show who wanted to gradually downsize her operations. Wendy was free and I found her via a Facebook post from a breeder who was getting out of business and was giving away adults for free. She even had Wendy's pedigree in the online database and seemed otherwise legit.

Jimmy's breeders were at the show and when we mentioned the name of Wendy's cattery, they told us about an ongoing lawsuit against the breeder for falsifying pedigrees. Apparently she decided to go into early retirement when the scandal broke out and did a fire sale which was how we got Wendy. Now she's back in the game again. There were some other Burmese breeders at the show too and nobody had anything kind to say about Wendy's breeder, even calling her a con artist :catstare:

Learned a lot about the issues that her cats had, both health and personality which explains a lot about Wendy. No health issues yet but I think I might take her to the vet and request heart & kidney testing so I don't get blindsided in the future. The heart issue typically pops up when the cat is five, Wendy is seven so they think that she's probably a carrier so she should be ok.

They asked if I'd provide a DNA swab from Wendy for paternity testing and there's going to be a kit sent to me soon. All I have to do is stick a couple of swabs in her mouth then send them to UC Davis.

I just have no idea how the gently caress to deal with all of this. All I wanted to was to look at pretty kitties :(

This is Wendy and yes, we did buy the blankets because they matched the cats.

Thats a very good reason to buy blankets... and a very pretty cat

give me your address so I can snatch her and give her tuna

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, makes me want a calico blanket even though that completely wouldn't work.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

demota posted:

That's so, so sad :(

Condolences

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
One of my/the family's cats, Bobo, had a diabetic scare that seems to have passed. After the vet gave us the go-ahead to stop with insulin a bit more than a month ago, he started peeing by the front door like he did before we put him on insulin. Last time I took him to the vet, he was negative on any UTI or bladder infection, blood sugar is looking good, and his behavior was about the same as it was pre-diabetes. I guess he just likes the area now.

Of course, everywhere I've looked suggested that we should put a litter box there. The problem is/was, I'm a loser who lives in my dad's house, so any solution has to be approved by him.
There were incidents were the other cat, Missy, peed in his room after he locked it in there when leaving for work, and a few where it returned to pee despite not being locked in. Missy broke that habit, but by the time Bobo started acting sick, he was fed up with them. So I had to promise I'd pay for vet visits and and medicine and take care of giving the insulin.
He stopped peeing by the front door right after we gave him insulin, and so when he started again, I naively thought getting to stop again would be just as easy. I promised that I would fix it, and also unwittingly volunteered to be the target of all cat-related frustration. Suggesting putting a litter box in the area just made him more angry, and I am a massive turbo wimp who is not good with confrontation. Since the problem area is the front door, blocking the cats from the area is impossible without locking them in the basement, the only area he would allow litter boxes. So for a month all I could do was clean the messes up as they appeared. He still used his litter box when he was in the basement, and I swear, the little bastard tried to time his accidents to when Dad would find them.

Just last week, we went on a short vacation, which was basically a deadline for me to come up with a solution. Luckily, a family friend had the same problem with diabetes and peeing outside of the litter box with her cat, and her solution was, surprise, to put a litter box in the problem area. So after more yelling and vague threats, I convinced him to finally put a litter box there. My sister stayed home for her own reasons and shoveled it. There was an incident outside of it after we got back. We were out of litter and the box was shallow and my sister didn't buy more litter while we were out, so I'm hoping that means it was preventable. Right now, it seems to be working.

Of course, the downside to having pee confined to the litter box is that there's a smelly litter box by the front door. Bobo has tacit permission to pee there. And poop there now.

Now, I have another vague ultimatum. He wants the litter box gone and I have two days to "do something" about it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Your dad sounds like a douche.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

More cat pee problems! My youngest cat (only about 2) likes to get into the litter box, back up against the edge, then pee over the top. Then she looks super confused as to why her pee isn't in the box. Why does my cat want to do this and how do I get her to stop?

We are going to take her to the vet soon as we can to make sure it isn't a medical issue, but she seems total fine other than that, and does in fact actually use the box (or other boxes) correctly some of the time.

We tried getting a taller box but she seems to just angle higher now? I'm a bit afraid if we get one any deeper, the other cats won't use it at all (one of the others is almost 20, and the other one is still a bit overweight).

demota
Aug 12, 2003

Thank you for the kind words, everyone. The next time I adopt a cat will probably be pre-spayed to save myself the trauma trigger.

Da Long Bao is being cremated, but the urn will need to be buried. I found out about something called an urn vault to protect her remains from being disturbed. Does anyone have any experience with these? I want to protect her and I want to make sure that if I have to move, I can take her with me. I don't know what materials to avoid or what are good materials or how to open it if necessary while still making sure water can't get in, it won't crack under temperatures, and gophers can't punch through.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Britt Burns posted:

Feel his belly - does it feel bloated? I'm forever paranoid of urethral obstructions in boy cats :ohdear:

No. He has had a few bouts of diarrhea recently. I want to figure out what he's getting into that's making him sick. He's still drinking and eating, so whatever it is I think is temporary.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

More cat pee problems! My youngest cat (only about 2) likes to get into the litter box, back up against the edge, then pee over the top. Then she looks super confused as to why her pee isn't in the box. Why does my cat want to do this and how do I get her to stop?

We are going to take her to the vet soon as we can to make sure it isn't a medical issue, but she seems total fine other than that, and does in fact actually use the box (or other boxes) correctly some of the time.

We tried getting a taller box but she seems to just angle higher now? I'm a bit afraid if we get one any deeper, the other cats won't use it at all (one of the others is almost 20, and the other one is still a bit overweight).

What kind of box are you using? If its open, try a covered box.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've mentioned before about introducing my new cat Kaylee to our current cat Jayne. She seems to be the aggressor of the two. We're considering going the feliway route but if they fight in any room, would the spray or the diffuser be better?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dr Christmas posted:

One of my/the family's cats, Bobo, had a diabetic scare that seems to have passed. After the vet gave us the go-ahead to stop with insulin a bit more than a month ago, he started peeing by the front door like he did before we put him on insulin. Last time I took him to the vet, he was negative on any UTI or bladder infection, blood sugar is looking good, and his behavior was about the same as it was pre-diabetes. I guess he just likes the area now.

Of course, everywhere I've looked suggested that we should put a litter box there. The problem is/was, I'm a loser who lives in my dad's house, so any solution has to be approved by him.
There were incidents were the other cat, Missy, peed in his room after he locked it in there when leaving for work, and a few where it returned to pee despite not being locked in. Missy broke that habit, but by the time Bobo started acting sick, he was fed up with them. So I had to promise I'd pay for vet visits and and medicine and take care of giving the insulin.
He stopped peeing by the front door right after we gave him insulin, and so when he started again, I naively thought getting to stop again would be just as easy. I promised that I would fix it, and also unwittingly volunteered to be the target of all cat-related frustration. Suggesting putting a litter box in the area just made him more angry, and I am a massive turbo wimp who is not good with confrontation. Since the problem area is the front door, blocking the cats from the area is impossible without locking them in the basement, the only area he would allow litter boxes. So for a month all I could do was clean the messes up as they appeared. He still used his litter box when he was in the basement, and I swear, the little bastard tried to time his accidents to when Dad would find them.

Just last week, we went on a short vacation, which was basically a deadline for me to come up with a solution. Luckily, a family friend had the same problem with diabetes and peeing outside of the litter box with her cat, and her solution was, surprise, to put a litter box in the problem area. So after more yelling and vague threats, I convinced him to finally put a litter box there. My sister stayed home for her own reasons and shoveled it. There was an incident outside of it after we got back. We were out of litter and the box was shallow and my sister didn't buy more litter while we were out, so I'm hoping that means it was preventable. Right now, it seems to be working.

Of course, the downside to having pee confined to the litter box is that there's a smelly litter box by the front door. Bobo has tacit permission to pee there. And poop there now.

Now, I have another vague ultimatum. He wants the litter box gone and I have two days to "do something" about it.

Exactly how often did you clean that litter box? It shouldn't smell if you clean it frequently enough.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Minarchist posted:

What kind of box are you using? If its open, try a covered box.

It's open. We tried using a closed one a while back and none of the cats would even go in it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Irritated Goat posted:

I've mentioned before about introducing my new cat Kaylee to our current cat Jayne. She seems to be the aggressor of the two. We're considering going the feliway route but if they fight in any room, would the spray or the diffuser be better?

Generally, the diffuser should be better; it's meant to cover an area, and for prolonged periods of time. The spray is more for temporary solutions, or for spraying specific things, like a carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariony
Mar 25, 2008

Wasn't sure if this was worthy of a separate thread - probably not.
So, I found a kitten. Or rather, it found me - I have 2 other cats and was letting one of them in this evening, and a wildly meowing little kitty ran inside after it. I live on a big ol piece of farmland and have 2 indoor/outdoor cats, and apparently this stray kitten had either been abandoned by its mother or its owners and maybe thought Nugget was its mom? So it came inside and didnt seem very socialized to humans, but after an hour or two (GET OFF MY KEYBOARD) I was finally able to get it to stop hiding and pet it, and now it purrs and follows me around. There are no obvious fleas or ticks on it, it has clear eyes and a cold wet nose, and it weighs just about a pound. I gave it some cat food and water which it really enjoyed, will get it some kitten food tomorrow and schedule it for the vet to get its shots/fixed. It seems to be in good health and I'm definitely keeping the little bugger. The only questions I've got are:
It won't stop meowing loudly. A little while ago it went to sleep next to me but I woke it up by typing and its in fire alarm mode again. Is this normal and how long will it last?
Also it seems completely healthy aside from being hungry, is there anything besides a checkup/shots I should ask the vet about?
Obligatory phone pic: