Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

My favorite role is vigilante. Everybody should make me a vigilante all the time.

I also absolutely love being a vig, particularly a day vig. I can't stand being a doctor by contrast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I also absolutely love being a vig, particularly a day vig. I can't stand being a doctor by contrast.

Pew pew, shoot shoot!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The best role is inventor. Just let me make items and give them to people.

Don't give me a preset series of powers I can give out, let me decide what I want to put in the game.

I once played a game where I was a "gunsmith" who could give dayvigs and nightvigs to players. I couldn't give the weapons to myself, but I could turn other people into vigilantes.

I also loathe being doctor because I can never guess who the scum want to kill on any particular night.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I really like being vanilla as town. I don't like the stress of responsibility that having a role entails. I play for fun and am incredibly uncompetitive and I feel like having a role means that I can't let the others down. I also like being mason with people but that's because I'm chatty.

On the other hand if I'm scum I like having a sort of role, since at that point you have a much smaller team that is kinda counting on you.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

BUT see that's another thing, though. It's not that Roles are Bad and vanilla mafia is the purest and therefore best mafia. We as a community also have this weird fetishization almost of vanilla roles and players know they get some degree of "mafia cred" by saying "vanilla is the best role" or whatever.

It's just that we put too much emphasis on roles and their power over our thinking. Role information should be "indicative but not dispositive" - information should be used to help praise or condemn someone rather than being an end in and of itself.

I've kind of got something to say about this, but it kind of touches on a game that is still in progress, so I'll have to let it go for the moment.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Jester is the best role IMO.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jester is only fun if you don't like most of the people in the game

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

I generally like role madness games and I find piecing together the puzzle of roles and how roles interact to be very fun.

So that's my hot take on the matter.

This is where I"m at. In person, in real life, I'd be more down for "pure" games. But in text, where people can just hide and not post? Not fun for me. I need the puzzle of tons of roles to make the game fun.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Jester is only fun if you don't like most of the people in the game

I hate all sentient beings.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

My favorite role is vigilante. Everybody should make me a vigilante all the time.

Scum vigilante :getin:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Cops are poo poo I agree

What about in mafia tho.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Rarity posted:

Scum vigilante :getin:

:argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Still one of my best mafia moments :unsmith:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching the movie grabbers. It's about why the Irish drink alcohol.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

What about in mafia tho.

In mafia I think they can be alright. If you can balance them out a bit it's ok but the standard cop sort of makes things a bit too straightforward. You need something to put doubt in the minds of the town.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Anyway 4 trackers should be standard imo

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Anyway 4 trackers should be standard imo

Man, that game was weird. I mean sure, everyone kind of shrugged and figured 2 trackers was possible and but the 3rd and 4th trackers really warped peoples minds.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I once played a game where everyone was a cop

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CCKeane posted:

I generally like role madness games and I find piecing together the puzzle of roles and how roles interact to be very fun.

So that's my hot take on the matter.

Also, I have to agree with this as I'm sure people I've played with can attest too. I like trying to figure out the setup and even though I know I will be wrong most of the time, it still engages me trying to figure it out.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Honestly, my favorite "serious" role is probably Joat, I like the utility.

My favorite role madnessy role is lightning rod/absorber or lightning rod /pgo

and of course Jesters have a special place in my heart.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

How about that match rar

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

lightning rods in general are fun.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

CCKeane posted:

I'm 0/3 on Vigilante kills.

I'm 5/5 on brutals. I prefer brutals.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!
My favorite role goes something like:

1) Town with chats (Masons, mason recruiters, lovers)
2) Town with kills (Vigilante, Woodcutter, Hunter)
3) Vanilla Town
4) Aux Evils (which you guys don't use)
5) Predicting Night Kills (Doctor or Tracker)
6) Mafia
7) Cop

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

ljtrigirl posted:

I'm 0/3 on Vigilante kills.

I'm 5/5 on brutals. I prefer brutals.

I'm 1/1 on fake tracker claims that I make on scum ninjas.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

one time I had the scum team picked out for real but nobody believed me so I almost fakeclaimed cop and to this day it is still my biggest mafia regret

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've played 4 completed games of Mafia and 1 still being played. My team has won 3 out of 4 of them and the 'loss' technically is a town win (and I was town) but declared a tie.

Truly, I am the greatest Mafia player ever.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Th only person who lost swolfia was me

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Th only person who lost swolfia was me

But you get to go down in SA mafia history for the ending!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TMMadman posted:

But you get to go down in SA mafia history for the ending!

it's happened before, in fact I was one time the scum in that scenario

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

it's happened before, in fact I was one time the scum in that scenario

Look, do you want to go down in history or not? :colbert:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Look, do you want to go down in history or not? :colbert:

I'm already legendary TMM

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i at one point had a spreadsheet to keep track of all my stats but i stopped caring. i remember my scum win ration was pretty good though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I need a replacement for my game Just starting D3

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I used to win like 10% of my town games and 90% of my sum games but now I just don't win anything.

I might make a fun stats page on votefinder in the future.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i made my game:

yuming, merk, diqnol, byers and mmm i presigned you up but i know i took a while to make it so if you are unable to play now i understand.

Welcome to the past, when music was rockin' and people had cool hair and played guitars and smoked cigarettes. wow, what a cool time to be alive.

And you are alive, somehow, even though you are a song. That's right, you are a sentient sequence of sounds, residing in the minds of those who hear you as well as squirming as a soundwave through the sky. Wow, what an existence. Incredible.

But all is not well. Music haters from the future have come to erase you from ever existing. what a bummer that would be. drat.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736881

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

My biased memory tells me I'm generally pretty good with night actions. Like when I busdrove the night kill back onto the killer in Orient Express.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Either I make great setup spec then use night actions poorly or make great night action choices then use the results poorly :negative:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736397

Since there are no game accepting sign ups at the moment. Go for it.

Come play my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's making me legit mad that there's an Amoeba game to play and not enough people to do it. Do it. I'll modkill everyone in my game to free up space if I have to