Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
^^^^ You didn't get it at the best time

poptart_fairy posted:

Well, when the only black people of note are soul sucking demons it does tend to send across a fairly certain message - intentionally or not.

Not really. Not unless you're looking for it, and even then, this is a stretch. Again, the succubus race has beasts of all colors of skin, and I can't fathom the mental gymnastics it takes to equate a succubus to black people. Why weren't there any Incubi in the game, huh?! Men can be discriminated against too!

poptart_fairy posted:

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum and the fact the game handled both a gay man and cross dresser without relying on crude stereotypes just raises the question of why said black people were exotic soul sucking monsters in the first place. :shobon:

Black people weren't soul sucking monsters? A succubus was, not a black person. Do people look for non issues to get mad about? Hey, elves are the equivalent to whites in video games, and they're treated like 3rd class citizens in Novigrad. I am so nettled right now.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Oxenfurt isn't in Velen. It's across the Pontar. It's part of the Novigrad area.

Yeah, even the thing with the troll who wants paint is considered a Novigrad sidequest by the game, so I'd say it's clear that the Novigrad area as a whole makes up about half of that map, not just the city itself.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Carew posted:

The other succubus was white.

A couple of the ones *end game spoilers* that are on bald mountain hanging out with imlerith are black as well

It doesn't matter though because this is a dumb conversation.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Ice Fist posted:

A couple of the ones *end game spoilers* that are on bald mountain hanging out with imlerith are black as well

It doesn't matter though because this is a dumb conversation.

It really is. There are maybe 2 of them in the whole game that you can even interact with, one of them is white. Save for, as you said, a harem of them all at Imlerith's feet.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

pik_d posted:

You're not supposed to grind up to level ~48 for that Archgriffin. Just fight it at level 34 like everyone else.

The 48 Archgriffin was cake @ lvl 35 for me. Just gotta be geared and have a good build.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Where is that Archgriffin, anyway? Might as well give him a try before NG+ hits.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Where is that Archgriffin, anyway? Might as well give him a try before NG+ hits.

in skellige north of the ancient crypt waypoint on an island

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
What is NG+?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

New Game+, where you start the game again with your endgame stats and equipment, with the difficulty adjusted to match. It is the last piece of free DLC the Wild Hunt is getting.

Aye Doc posted:

in skellige north of the ancient crypt waypoint on an island

Ace, thanks.

Talk about an easy fight if you have Alchemy and the poison skill with Hybrid Oil.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 16, 2015

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hope I don[t get burnt out. I have completely almost every sidequest and gotten every ? area in Novigrad and Velen, I am about ready to go to Skellige and I know for a fact i'll basically be starting over with it in a new land. I am just not looking forward to it and haven't played in like 2 days because i'm dreading it. You might just say "Oh you can some of the sidequests if you want!" but I can't, just can't do it man.

I have another question thought actually about a side quest in Velen. Its called Fools Gold, i'm actually way past the point of it doing me any good but its on my list and I want to get it off. I can't finish it, I have to examine the pigs, so I go into Witcher Vision or whatever and try to interact with them but I can't. They are all red, I just can't interact with them though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I hope I don[t get burnt out. I have completely almost every sidequest and gotten every ? area in Novigrad and Velen, I am about ready to go to Skellige and I know for a fact i'll basically be starting over with it in a new land. I am just not looking forward to it and haven't played in like 2 days because i'm dreading it. You might just say "Oh you can some of the sidequests if you want!" but I can't, just can't do it man.

I have another question thought actually about a side quest in Velen. Its called Fools Gold, i'm actually way past the point of it doing me any good but its on my list and I want to get it off. I can't finish it, I have to examine the pigs, so I go into Witcher Vision or whatever and try to interact with them but I can't. They are all red, I just can't interact with them though.

Oh man, I don't think the quest is bugged, I think you missed a house full of pigs. there's three houses of pigs, and you cant do anything with any of them, you just have to check on all of them. I was stuck there for a bit. That quest is pretty funny and you should finish it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It is however bugged later on. A different pig later is stuck in the floor and pretty well inaccessible. It and Skellige's Most Wanted are pretty much busted atm on console.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

What's with the mage dude outside Radovid's boat in Oxenfurt? I thought he hated mages.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Holy poo poo killing the level 20 earth elemental near crookback bog at level 14 on deathmarch was so loving fun. That was a hella hard but hella awesome fight. When the combat in this game clicks it really clicks.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Swedish Horror posted:

What's with the mage dude outside Radovid's boat in Oxenfurt? I thought he hated mages.

That's pretty much the only change you get if you allow the Council and the Conclave be reestablished by saving Triss at the end of W2.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Never got to the end of Witcher 2 but that must be the option I chose during the W2 questions in Vizima.

I have Witcher 2( and 1) in my Steam library and want to play it for the story but every time I try I don't make it 5 minutes before getting frustrated at lovely game mechanics.

edit: are there any mods for W2 to make it less awful?

Swedish Horror fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 16, 2015

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
How long does it take for a vendor's money to refresh?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Snak posted:

Oh man, I don't think the quest is bugged, I think you missed a house full of pigs. there's three houses of pigs, and you cant do anything with any of them, you just have to check on all of them. I was stuck there for a bit. That quest is pretty funny and you should finish it.

I have ran through them multiple times, what do you mean by check on them?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I have ran through them multiple times, what do you mean by check on them?

Oh, i could be wrong then. It's been a really long time since I did it. When I was stuck there, I was missing a pig or group of pigs, and once I had gone to all of the locations, it triggered an objective update. But that was before the last patch.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spite posted:

At the risk of reopening a can of worms it feels pretty obvious that Ciri is totally fanservicey. She sticks her chest out when she walks (I didn't even notice this until it was pointed out to me), she's wearing loving heels, etc. And not just like the heels on normal riding boots, she's got serious heels on. She's designed to be look hot, just like all the other important female characters Geralt interacts with.

The character is supposed to be very pretty, sure. It's just weird for someone who has been on the run for years to look like a supermodel.

And like I said before, it's kind of weird (in a good way, I guess) because in every other RPG the attractive women are there for you to sleep with.

I like the way they did Ciri, the one that made me laugh out loud was Ves. Cover up yo titties girl, you'll catch a CHILL

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
People seem to have some weird idea that just because the author/game designers MEANT for it to be that way it can't still be fan service. Just because there is fan service doesn't mean it an irremediable terrible game now, but lets be for real.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
This game owns

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Just because there is fan service doesn't mean it an irremediable terrible game now

Is anyone saying this?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is anyone saying this?

No, not directly. I was responding to the people defending it saying there is no fan service in the game. You can still like a game and admit it has dumb stuff in it. Pretty much every game I have ever played that I liked a lot at some point made me roll my eyes a little bit.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Why would you try to 100% an open world game in one go?

Swedish Horror posted:

Carduin of Lan Exeter. He's Radovid's puppet from TW2. He runs the Vichy Conclave and helps him with the witch hunts while trying to rationalize it to himself.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

People seem to have some weird idea that just because the author/game designers MEANT for it to be that way it can't still be fan service.

So you're suggesting Sapkowski wanted to titillate us with 15 year old Ciri's description?

Let me submit that Ciri wears lots of eye makeup and heels because she thinks they look good and enjoys them. I know you guys are trying real hard to be progressive and culturally aware and crap, but the idea that women only do these things for the sexual gratification of men is actually pretty sexist.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I won't lie I hate combat heels

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Iron Rose posted:

Holy poo poo killing the level 20 earth elemental near crookback bog at level 14 on deathmarch was so loving fun. That was a hella hard but hella awesome fight. When the combat in this game clicks it really clicks.

Every battle against (high level) hard-hitting, slow-moving beasts, I thought of Oberyn Martell against the Mountain. Thoroughly satisfying.

It's a super minor complaint, but the hop-hop-hop animation looks silly without noticeable variation, and you see a lot of it when you hit level 15 or 20 and your chief challenge is slaying monsters 10-20 levels ahead of you.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

RentACop posted:

I won't lie I hate combat heels

I used to think they were a cardinal sin of character design too, until I dated a girl that could run really fast in high heels. They're not nearly as debilitating as people seem to think, unless they're huge.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, we need to define "fanservice", because to me it implies (in this context) "eye-candy for the fans". A lot of people are calling the sexualization of female characters "fanservice". This exact sort of titillation is present in the books, and I would argue that it's a core part of the product. It's not something that is being added "as fanservice". The Witcher universe is a bit pervy. So is it really "fanservice" that when that informs the design in a visual medium?

Here's a couple of completely non-spoilery bits I read the other day:

Andrzej Sapkowski, in Sword of Destiny posted:

'What is your real name?' Geralt asked the one who had remained at the table. Véa flashed her white teeth. Her blouse was very loosely laced, almost to the limits of possibility. The Witcher had no doubt it was intentionally provocative.

Téa winked and stretched; and her bosom, contrary to Geralt's expectations, did not split the front of her blouse.

These are just examples, but I think they illustrate the "male gaze" aspect of things.

There have been some replies while I was typing this, so [fake edit]

The Sharmat posted:

So you're suggesting Sapkowski wanted to titillate us with 15 year old Ciri's description?
No. But I think it was a reasonable design choice for CDPR to want to titillate us with 20 year old Ciri's appearance. And I also don't think that it's "fanservice" to do so.

And I don't think it's necessarily sexist or bad.

real edit:

The Sharmat posted:

I used to think they were a cardinal sin of character design too, until I dated a girl that could run really fast in high heels. They're not nearly as debilitating as people seem to think, unless they're huge.
It's also worth noting that anyone who rides in stirrups is going to have at least some heel on their boot. Heels on men's boots were much more common before the invention of 20th century insole designs. Ciri's heels are on the higher side, but she is shorter than most of the people she is likely to fight. I do think if her heels were to be practical, they wouldn't narrow towards the bottom. She does a lot of hiking and those would be unwearable in mud.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 16, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Actually we don't need to define fan service because it's a stupid argument and should be put to rest now

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

No. But I think it was a reasonable design choice for CDPR to want to titillate us with 20 year old Ciri's appearance. And I also don't think that it's "fanservice" to do so.

And I don't think it's necessarily sexist or bad.

I don't think CDPR ever tried to titillate us with 20 year old Ciri's appearance. Yeah she looks good. So does Geralt. I think she's meant to look cool more than sexy, nor is there anything male-gazey about any of her scenes. Hell, even in the bathhouse, she's almost completely covered up.

I don't know maybe I'm just a lot harder to titillate than most goons.

Edit: Here, I'll define fanservice. Fan service is Roche abandoning everything he's working on to travel 300 miles into the Kaedweni mountains to go help Geralt at Kaer Morhen in the middle of a war.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Edit: Here, I'll define fanservice. Fan service is Roche abandoning everything he's working on to travel 300 miles into the Kaedweni mountains to go help Geralt at Kaer Morhen in the middle of a war.

It's probably worth it because, in exchange for helping Geralt, he learns the location of, and access routes to, Kaer Morhen, which would be a fantastic place to wage the guerrilla war For Temeria! from.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Being sexy and cool are frequently synonymous, for both sexes. Both men and women generally want to be cool, and part of that involves being sexy. It's just that there are different ways men and women are perceived as sexy. But I don't know why I'm getting involved in this.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Someone mentioned that they didn't think you had to kill any trolls for major quests. What can you do about the one guarding the master armorer tools in Skellige? or is that one just feral?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That one is just feral. There's a few like that in the game.

Snak posted:

It's probably worth it because, in exchange for helping Geralt, he learns the location of, and access routes to, Kaer Morhen, which would be a fantastic place to wage the guerrilla war For Temeria! from.

It's incredibly far from Temeria.

Beeez posted:

Being sexy and cool are frequently synonymous, for both sexes. Both men and women generally want to be cool, and part of that involves being sexy. It's just that there are different ways men and women are perceived as sexy. But I don't know why I'm getting involved in this.

This is true but I definitely think Ciri's attractiveness is almost entirely what she needs to look cool rather than going any further for the purposes of pure titillation.

Hell...even Ves, I mean, her costume is pretty ridiculous. Almost like something out of another game. But she's not exactly traditionally sexy. She's pretty flat, has kind of a boyish body and hair cut, and below the neck she's got a bunch of scars and tattoos.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 16, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

That one is just feral. There's a few like that in the game.

It's incredibly far from Temeria.

Oh yeah like, hundreds of miles, huh. Since we only ever fast-travel there, I kind of forgot it wasn't like, just up past the corner of Velen. Yeah I have no idea why he would do that.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Fanservice.

I know people want that moment, and it was cool having him there, but purely from a writing standpoint, it would make more sense if Roche refused like Crach does, but Ves volunteers to go instead. She's a good fighter but less crucial to all the stuff Roche is planning.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah I didn't want use that word again.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
As long as I get my incredibly awkward moment in a future expansion where Roche, Letho, and Iorveth are all in the same place, I won't complain too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
CDPR needs to make a loving Dune game after Cyberpunk.