Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Lynza posted:

They like pretty much everything! If you can find some good multi-grain scratch, that's always popular. Mealworms are like chicken crack if you have a petstore nearby that sells them. Same thing for live crickets. I'll open the box in their coop so they can have fun with chasing down their prey.

Yeah, this. If you give them nuts make sure they are chopped up small enough not to cause a blockage, but as far as I know nuts are safe and chickens love them, because FOOD. Also, don't try and pick them up when they are all pinfeathery, it hurts and they know it. Mine start to bitch at me if I even LOOK like I am thinking of petting them when they are little unhappy pincushions. Just commiserate with them about how molting sucks, and tell them how pretty they are going to be soon. Kinda like getting your period and having your girlfriends support you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yeah, this. If you give them nuts make sure they are chopped up small enough not to cause a blockage, but as far as I know nuts are safe and chickens love them, because FOOD. Also, don't try and pick them up when they are all pinfeathery, it hurts and they know it. Mine start to bitch at me if I even LOOK like I am thinking of petting them when they are little unhappy pincushions. Just commiserate with them about how molting sucks, and tell them how pretty they are going to be soon. Kinda like getting your period and having your girlfriends support you.

Haha yeah, I feel retrospectively bad because I was trying to pick up Tissie the other day and she was hella bitey. She's usually really great about being handled, so I was miffed! But then I looked in the coop and it was like a pillow fight in there. She used to have a spectacular butt-plume, rivaling even a rooster, but now she is buttless :(

I picked up some freeze-dried mealworms from the garden store on the way home, I'll bring them out tomorrow morning for a nice treat :)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So I think one of our hens on the farm had a stroke today. She's walking with her head tilted and she can't keep her balance for poo poo, seems to walk in circles kinda too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCx-CTcZkEo

I know the video isn't the best but if anyone knows could that be it? When she shakes at the beginning that was from some mite power we put on her just to be sure it wasn't them biting her and messing her up. And no, I wasn't being rough with her in the video at all, I was making sure to be careful and gentle when picking her up and gently nudging her around with my foot.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Tracula posted:

So I think one of our hens on the farm had a stroke today. She's walking with her head tilted and she can't keep her balance for poo poo, seems to walk in circles kinda too.

I know the video isn't the best but if anyone knows could that be it? When she shakes at the beginning that was from some mite power we put on her just to be sure it wasn't them biting her and messing her up. And no, I wasn't being rough with her in the video at all, I was making sure to be careful and gentle when picking her up and gently nudging her around with my foot.

It could be Newcastle disease, if that's a problem in your area. Balance trouble, a twisted head/neck and circling are all signs of it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Brass Key posted:

It could be Newcastle disease, if that's a problem in your area. Balance trouble, a twisted head/neck and circling are all signs of it.

Never even heard of it. It was just out of nowhere today. All the chickens went out fine and then tonight when I was putting them to bed she was the only one that was off in any way. I'll make sure she gets isolated tomorrow then and see if she changes at all then. I just figured it was a stroke since I had a friend who had a cat who had a stroke and sorta of exhibited similar symptoms with the tilted head and walking funny.

Edit: Looking at videos and symptoms for it that doesn't seem to fit and there's no way it could have gotten transmitted.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 13, 2015

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Tracula posted:

Weird. Best thing would be a trip to the vet, obviously. Check her over to make sure she's not skinny, has been eating/drinking, no wounds, no fouled vent feathers, normal poops, etc. Any info you can give the vet is helpful.

Two things occurred to me, the first being Limberneck, also known as Crookneck. Also Stargazing/Twirling. They have several causes (botulism, poor diet and head injuries mostly), and I've used a Selenium/Vitamin E treatment on it in my flock when it's happened due to a head injury and subsequent brain swelling. I've got more info here, scroll to the bottom of the page: http://jackshenhouse.com/Injuries.htm

The other thing that occurred to me is an inner ear issue, since she seems perky and grumpy enough, yet seems to be having trouble with her balance. Any fluid oozing from her eyes/nares, sneezing, wheezing, head shaking, gurgling breathing, etc.? How is her appetite? If you suspect a respiratory problem, I've had good results using OTC Sulmet to treat it.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

piscesbobbie posted:

WOW! Nice! Are you in the US and could I hire you!

Sorry I'm in OZ!

So many awesome signs, hopefully I can glam it up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
We,p Ken looked like she was going to make but has taken a downward slide today. Barely moving and won't open her eyes.

I think she is done for.

Also the sores on Jeans eyes are getting better, but now I have to pry her eyelid open every day because they are sticking shut when she sleeps.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
jfc, Gin Monks, did you piss off a gypsy or something? Desecrate an ancient burial ground, perhaps?

I am so sorry to hear about all your trouble. I wish I could offer some more helpful advice, but that's all I got.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lynza posted:

jfc, Gin Monks, did you piss off a gypsy or something? Desecrate an ancient burial ground, perhaps?

I am so sorry to hear about all your trouble. I wish I could offer some more helpful advice, but that's all I got.

Thanks, but this just seems to be the chicken life you know? Oh yeah Ken just died literally 10 minutes ago.

Oh look grass! I will eat it *dies*
Oh somehow my rear end split open, I will run from the humans and hide it until i... *dies*
ITS HOT!! *dies*
I'm tiny! *dies*

We are going to get some other ones this weekend because Jean is freaking out being alone. They will probably die.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Thanks, but this just seems to be the chicken life you know? Oh yeah Ken just died literally 10 minutes ago.

Oh look grass! I will eat it *dies*
Oh somehow my rear end split open, I will run from the humans and hide it until i... *dies*
ITS HOT!! *dies*
I'm tiny! *dies*

We are going to get some other ones this weekend because Jean is freaking out being alone. They will probably die.

Goddamn this SUCKS. Keep the faith...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Backyard Chicken Keeping: they go so quickly.

I try not to be bothered by all the chickens passing on since it's such a regular occurrence but sometimes...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

:barf:
I tried to look up what "worm phobia" is called, multiple time, but I just keep clicking the windows closed.

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

It's been a week since I've lost Reggie. No sign of fox and the trap only caught a single juvenile possum (which my husband let go, and believe me, he got a lecture over that one). I'm getting frustrated and the chickens do not like being cooped up in the run. I've taken to letting them out for a couple of hours each evening, but I'm still scared to let them be out all day. What's the chance that a fox was just passing through and it was a crime of opportunity? For all I know, the thing got mashed on the road five miles from here, or a neighbor has shot it by now. How frequently do foxes return to the scene of the crime?

Also, my new rooster has started to come into his own. He's hanging with the big girls now, and starting to try to mount them. The peepers are still flocking on their own, but I'm pretty sure everyone will integrate once they get old enough to fight back. But I'm a little concerned about Prudence. Prudy was broody for a while and had just come down off her hormones. She's trying to rejoin the big girls and browse with them, but Nigel keeps chasing her off. I have no clue what his problem is with her. Prudence gave up and hung out with the flock of littles last night, but Nigel decided after a while that wasn't cool either, left the big girls, cut Prudence out of the herd of littles, chased her back into the coop, and went back to the big girls. He doesn't hurt her, he just chases her. I'm not sure what he would do if she stood her ground, but she's not the type of hen to hold her ground. She looked so sad last night, standing alone outside the run, just watching the flocks.

What the hell is his deal?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

snakecharmer: could a hawk or owl have killed the chicken?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Inveigle posted:

snakecharmer: could a hawk or owl have killed the chicken?

I wondered the same thing since a sharp-shinned hawk and an owl liked to pick off a local funeral home's dumb white release doves pigeons. All that would be left was a feather-splosion when they were nabbed on the ground.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

snakecharmer posted:

It's been a week since I've lost Reggie. No sign of fox and the trap only caught a single juvenile possum (which my husband let go, and believe me, he got a lecture over that one). I'm getting frustrated and the chickens do not like being cooped up in the run. I've taken to letting them out for a couple of hours each evening, but I'm still scared to let them be out all day. What's the chance that a fox was just passing through and it was a crime of opportunity? For all I know, the thing got mashed on the road five miles from here, or a neighbor has shot it by now. How frequently do foxes return to the scene of the crime?

Also, my new rooster has started to come into his own. He's hanging with the big girls now, and starting to try to mount them. The peepers are still flocking on their own, but I'm pretty sure everyone will integrate once they get old enough to fight back. But I'm a little concerned about Prudence. Prudy was broody for a while and had just come down off her hormones. She's trying to rejoin the big girls and browse with them, but Nigel keeps chasing her off. I have no clue what his problem is with her. Prudence gave up and hung out with the flock of littles last night, but Nigel decided after a while that wasn't cool either, left the big girls, cut Prudence out of the herd of littles, chased her back into the coop, and went back to the big girls. He doesn't hurt her, he just chases her. I'm not sure what he would do if she stood her ground, but she's not the type of hen to hold her ground. She looked so sad last night, standing alone outside the run, just watching the flocks.

What the hell is his deal?

He's a young idiot rooboy.

Sounds like he's 'punishing' Prue for not hanging out with the cool kids and is trying to teach her a lesson, my roos do this occassionally when a hen drops her brood, like they are getting back at her for chasing everyone while broody and teaching them they ain't so tough. It should eventually shake out after a few days when he gets off his snit. Meanwhile I'd feed them all goodies together so he has to focus on something other than her for a few minutes, and you can help by standing by as they eat and heading him off if he tries to chase her away. Time to be Head Roo/Mama and not allow him to chase 'your' hen/baby.

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It should eventually shake out after a few days when he gets off his snit. Meanwhile I'd feed them all goodies together so he has to focus on something other than her for a few minutes, and you can help by standing by as they eat and heading him off if he tries to chase her away. Time to be Head Roo/Mama and not allow him to chase 'your' hen/baby.

Yeah, he listens to me and backs off when I'm out there and can stop him. But I can't be hanging out with them forever, and when I go off to do something else, he chases her into the coop again. Hopefully he'll get over it soon.

To the folks saying maybe a hawk/owl: Only if a hawk or owl could follow her into the coop. The feathersplosion was inside the coop, and the coop door is standard chicken size. I don't think a hawk would land and walk up the ramp into the coop, would it?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

snakecharmer posted:

Yeah, he listens to me and backs off when I'm out there and can stop him. But I can't be hanging out with them forever, and when I go off to do something else, he chases her into the coop again. Hopefully he'll get over it soon.

To the folks saying maybe a hawk/owl: Only if a hawk or owl could follow her into the coop. The feathersplosion was inside the coop, and the coop door is standard chicken size. I don't think a hawk would land and walk up the ramp into the coop, would it?

Yes, it totally would.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Hawks are relatively intelligent predators. I wouldn't put it past one to invite himself in for dinner.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Faerunner posted:

Hawks are relatively intelligent predators. I wouldn't put it past one to invite himself in for dinner.

Someone here had one following her hens inside at bed time walking behind them like it was a part of the flock until she saw him.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Someone here had one following her hens inside at bed time walking behind them like it was a part of the flock until she saw him.

I think that was Chido's flock. They had several encounters with hawks, including one hawk that tried to walk into the coop. Perhaps Chido will respond.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My head hen is acting like that jerk rooster, but she seems to only pick on the runt. Who happens to be the poo butt having barred rock so obviously I'm a little irritated. It's really bizarre to see a hen smothering another like that for apparently no reason at all.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Oh and I completely forgot to mention a couple weeks ago my other barred rock was killed so I'm worried about how my flock will adapt anyway.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Holy poo poo, that's terrifying!

What could cause a hen to get suddenly super aggressive? She's just starting her moult, so I've been very careful not to touch her or anything, but whenever I'm out there she'll go chase after my hands with really hard bites (not like "oh what's that" nibbles, but BITES!). Today she broke skin. Dang. She doesn't have any trouble with the fiancee, though--are we in a head hen power struggle or something?

ETA: This is the same australorp hen who also crows, unsure if that would make a difference?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Yeah, it wasn't exactly at bedtime, but it was in the lat afternoon. The henhoes were in the run and this small hawk landed outside and began walking liker "don't mind me I'm just a bid walking here!" I also had a small hawk kill a pigeon in the run, and all my chickens were hiding in the garage while it was trying to eat it. I had to go outside, take the carcass, and shoo the bird away. Most of my hens have been strays before so they are pretty good at surviving, and my new rooster, Taco, is actually a pretty nice rooster :3. Still, it's possible hat birds of prey can get inside coops -_-

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Micomicona posted:

Holy poo poo, that's terrifying!

What could cause a hen to get suddenly super aggressive? She's just starting her moult, so I've been very careful not to touch her or anything, but whenever I'm out there she'll go chase after my hands with really hard bites (not like "oh what's that" nibbles, but BITES!). Today she broke skin. Dang. She doesn't have any trouble with the fiancee, though--are we in a head hen power struggle or something?

ETA: This is the same australorp hen who also crows, unsure if that would make a difference?

Heh. Crowing hens. Hormones raging= aggression. I've had hens go totally off the reservation like that, then one day snap out of it like nothing happened.

Regarding hawks walking into coops...yup. There are several videos on YouTube of hawks/eagles walking into coops.

snakecharmer
Apr 12, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Motherfucker. I had forgotten about that story. We do have a lot of hawks/eagles around.

Honestly, it's almost a relief to think a hawk walked in, rather than a fox taking a hen in broad daylight. I'm still not happy about it, but hawks (in my mind, at least) aren't as bad. The rooster will at least be able to defend against a hawk, once he's grown up. There's no defense against a fox.

We caught a possum again last night, and this time my husband actually dispatched it instead of letting it go. :) So now we have possum meat to bait the trap with, but honestly, I haven't seen any evidence of fox and I'm thinking it's not worth the rotting meat cleanup every few days.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

snakecharmer posted:

We caught a possum again last night, and this time my husband actually dispatched it instead of letting it go. :) So now we have possum meat to bait the trap with, but honestly, I haven't seen any evidence of fox and I'm thinking it's not worth the rotting meat cleanup every few days.
Do it anyway, ingore the inconvenience, just to be sure it isn't a fox.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I haven't posted much lately here because I've been busy with work, :(. Taco has been such a good rooboy I'm glad my BiL took him. With this drought there is almost no green grass left in our backyard, so I've been giving the chickens leftover food, bread, and juicy fruit to keep them well fed. We don't have nearly as many bugs under the yard bricks as last year, so as soon as this heatwave goes down I'm ordering giant mealworms from rainbow mealworms :3.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

I haven't posted much lately here because I've been busy with work, :(. Taco has been such a good rooboy I'm glad my BiL took him. With this drought there is almost no green grass left in our backyard, so I've been giving the chickens leftover food, bread, and juicy fruit to keep them well fed. We don't have nearly as many bugs under the yard bricks as last year, so as soon as this heatwave goes down I'm ordering giant mealworms from rainbow mealworms :3.

http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/
I think they are having a free shipping promo.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
My husband was helping my MIL yesterday and brought her some eggs.

She expressed disappointment because we have a rooster and some of the eggs "may be fertilized." Except none of our hens are broody, and the eggs sit out in the yard, not kept warm. She doesn't want to eat "abortions" on account of her religious beliefs.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lynza posted:

She expressed disappointment because we have a rooster and some of the eggs "may be fertilized." Except none of our hens are broody, and the eggs sit out in the yard, not kept warm. She doesn't want to eat "abortions" on account of her religious beliefs.
That is just plain dumb.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

erm, eggs can't be abortions unless you squeezed the hen to pop them out before they were ready. also, if God said it was ok to kill sheep and use their blood to paint the doorframes of his people in Egypt while he killed all the firstborns of the Egyptians, it should be ok to eat eggs :ohdear:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If she's okay with eating chicken I don't see why potentially fertilized eggs should pose an ethical problem.

Pose an "Oh my god there's a little horrible mess in my frying pan" problem, maybe? I have no idea about that because I am not a chickenhaver, I only visit this thread for chicken pictures.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lynza posted:

To be brutally honest your MiL is dumb as gently caress.

Her religion states man has dominion over the birds and the beasts and she is supposed to eat everything she possibly can. Tell her to actually read her sky daddy book instead of listening to Rush Limbaugh.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chido posted:

erm, eggs can't be abortions unless you squeezed the hen to pop them out before they were ready. also, if God said it was ok to kill sheep and use their blood to paint the doorframes of his people in Egypt while he killed all the firstborns of the Egyptians, it should be ok to eat eggs :ohdear:

Bingo. Lynza, clearly she's worried she'll crack open a fresh egg and find a half-developed chick. Perhaps educate her on the 21 days it takes for a chick to form fully. It astounds me how confused people are about how the whole rooster/hen/egg/chick thing works.

Reminds me of the SNL 'Coneheads' skits where they call eggs 'chicken embryos'.

My mom won't accept eggs from me, either. Somehow supermarket eggs are cleaner and better, and I think she also harbors a secret 'ick' about fertile eggs. :suicide:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Bingo. Lynza, clearly she's worried she'll crack open a fresh egg and find a half-developed chick.

Don't leave eggs that have possibly been near a broody on the window sill and then break them for your fried egg without thinking.

...:(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lynza posted:

Tell her to stop letting her religion run her life. And tell her an ordained minister said that. (just don't tell her I'm not a christian minister)

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, she's batshit crazy, I just thought it was hilarious so I shared it.

She went from some flavor of Catholicism to some kind of Buddhism, and now back to some really fundy Catholicism (she's been married and divorced a couple times, so I guess they were very unhappy about that). I think she needs to get some gd therapy, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Well Jeans eye is open again and she has taken to following us around the house because she is lonely.

We have renamed her Derple...since she is kind of retarded. She should be getting friends sometime this week.