Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

[–]BTCPHD 20 points 6 hours ago
/u/theymos is a loving coward. He wants so badly to have control over the underlying community, it's sickening. I am very suspicious of someone like that. He's a sneaky, manipulative oval office and I can't wait until he gets what's coming to him. I already know of two groups putting together bounties in an effort to handle this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

CampingCarl posted:

this is good for bitcoin

I think there's a zombie child about to bite the ice cream man's rear end

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

up uP UP

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
context: bitcoin XT controls 5.5% of all nodes now. if 75% of all nodes are running XT, or pretend to be, the blockchain will fork

edit: as below, it's 75% of produced blocks

Nagato fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 16, 2015

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Nagato posted:

context: bitcoin XT controls 5.5% of all nodes now. if 75% of all nodes are running XT, or pretend to be, the blockchain will fork

75% of hashpower, not nodes, i think

ed: it's when 75% of the last 1000 (or something) blocks have the new XT version number

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Nagato posted:

up uP UP

i'm the absence of scale on the X axis

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Tanith posted:

i'll be the linear scale on the Y axis then

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

CampingCarl posted:

this is good for bitcoin

What becomes of any of us in the wintertime? :(

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Tanith posted:

the website itself (xtnodes.com) has labels, no idea why they aren't in that screencap

XT nodes went from ~100 yesterday to ~350 today

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Nagato posted:

edit: as below, it's 75% of produced blocks

6.46 % with 406 nodes now

this one's updated a lot faster: https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
can't someone just vm that and force it or does it have to be 75% of hashing power?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrPossum posted:

can't someone just vm that and force it or does it have to be 75% of hashing power?

believe it or not but they are not that incompetent

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

DrPossum posted:

i think the 75% was just to show that they were weren't forcing it on everyone, that it would only go into effect when the majority agreed to it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

theymos didn't start the subreddit, he was gifted it when the original creator, Atlas, tried to sell it off and the community blew up.

also the way the reddit mod system works is that you cannot remove mods who show up above you in the mod list. everyone has the same mod powers otherwise but you can effectively command complete control by telling another mod to not remove specific posts or else they will get removed as a mod. no one can remove the top mod from modship.

the only one who can remove a top mod is a reddit admin and their stance is officially "make a new subreddit instead".

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FCKGW posted:

theymos didn't start the subreddit, he was gifted it when the original creator, Atlas, tried to sell it off and the community blew up.

also the way the reddit mod system works is that you cannot remove mods who show up above you in the mod list. everyone has the same mod powers otherwise but you can effectively command complete control by telling another mod to not remove specific posts or else they will get removed as a mod. no one can remove the top mod from modship.

the only one who can remove a top mod is a reddit admin and their stance is officially "make a new subreddit instead".
so you've made r/bitcoinxt and r/bitcoin_xt already, right?

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Wait why would a company use a blockchain? Efficiencies? What?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i can actually almost think of a legit use for the idea behind bitcoin as some dumb regulation at work wanted us to use WORM storage for documents to prove we hadn't modified them and we were quote like 500k for software to do it

but otoh that's because the vendor holds the liability if it is inadmissible in court or whatever and telling a judge "no you see it's a distributed network that is centralised but not controlled based on...." would get you thrown out of court

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
once 75% of miners have XT, and the minimum date has passed, the change takes into effect. those miners who have upgraded to xt will begin to make bigger blocks. those miners who have not upgraded will get "forked off", meaning they will be mining a chain that the rest of the network sees as an orphan chain.

the voting mechanism only counts nodes that are creating blocks (mining). if your node is only acting as a relaying node, then you aren't counted.

most likely once the XT count gets closer to 50% the core devs will concede and bitcoin-core will also issue a change to write bigger blocks

its also possible that the XT count goes up to about 30-40% and stagnates so that it never comes near 75%. In that case the fork doesn't happens, everyone forgets about XT, and bitcoin stays at 1MB blocks for the foreseeable future.

the worst case scenario is that exactly 50% support XT and exactly 50% support small blocks. In that case there will be two chains where neither is the clear winner, and the fork will most likely linger indefinitely while the price drops probably below $100.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Wait why would a company use a blockchain? Efficiencies? What?

plenty of perfectly respectable companies already use ridiculously inefficient technologies (e.g. ruby), all you need is managers without a clue + dunning-kreuger techies obsessively pushing fads, and neither of those things is in short supply

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

School of How posted:

most likely once the XT count gets closer to 50% the core devs will concede and bitcoin-core will also issue a change to write bigger blocks

well, right now XT is at 0% (of miners, who gives a poo poo about nodes?) so i don't see that happening.

bitcoin belongs to the 4 chinese farming groups and will do whatever the gently caress it is they want.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

to the moon!

quote:

[–]BartKoen 16 points 3 hours ago

Still not a single block mined by XT yet, according to xtnodes.com

Since percentage of blocks mined is the trigger, I wonder if pools are tempted to troll there. Say, XT reaches 25% blocks mined point one day. 3 largest pools with ~55% hashpower conspire to mark their blocks as "XT" and trigger the big block condition. Now, they switch back to Core and leave 25% of their competitors mining incompatible blocks.

Wouldn't this be in their rational self-interest?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I think you guys are missing the big picture. if the blockchain forks then anyone holding bitcoin classic can spend them on the xt fork, and then spend them again on the classic fork. so really the incentive here is to cause a temporary split, everyone doubles their money.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

The Management posted:

I think you guys are missing the big picture. if the blockchain forks then anyone holding bitcoin classic can spend them on the xt fork, and then spend them again on the classic fork. so really the incentive here is to cause a temporary split, everyone doubles their money.

the general consensus on reddit is to hold your bitcoins (sorry merchants) until the fork has been clearly resolved so I expect bitcoin retail sales to plummet like a rock in the ocean (from 2 to 0) in the coming weeks

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Robawesome posted:

you can run a private chain that can't be mined by the chinese superpowers - private companies have already started using blockchain tech for internal ledgers

Anything that isn't vaporware? (Seen lots of vaporware to this effect.)

Soricidus posted:

plenty of perfectly respectable companies already use ridiculously inefficient technologies (e.g. ruby), all you need is managers without a clue + dunning-kreuger techies obsessively pushing fads, and neither of those things is in short supply

There is that. Are there any that have actually happened yet, or is this for future blocks on the laughchain?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Robawesome posted:

i agree, it doesn't make much sense to use this stuff over a regular database.

here's an example
http://www.coindesk.com/itbit-reveals-top-secret-bankchain-project-wont-use-bitcoin/

this one says it doesn't use a blockchain but "a protocol based on Bitcoin". I can dig up other examples that actually do use blockchains (not Bitcoins)

please do because that article says that the only user of whatever that is is the bitcoin exchange that made it

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Midjack posted:

please do because that article says that the only user of whatever that is is the bitcoin exchange that made it

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/nasdaq-and-chain-to-partner-on-blockchain-technology-initiative-20150624-00446

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

divabot posted:

There is that. Are there any that have actually happened yet, or is this for future blocks on the laughchain?

there was some place in england, hull i think, that obviously had a bitcoin guy get on the it department at town hall because they said that they were going to make hullcoin that would be privately mined by them but they were going to need to buy an expensive miner to help with the mining

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Boxturret posted:

there was some place in england, hull i think, that obviously had a bitcoin guy get on the it department at town hall because they said that they were going to make hullcoin that would be privately mined by them but they were going to need to buy an expensive miner to help with the mining

apparently they got a grant from the comic relief 'tech for good' programme

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

divabot posted:

Anything that isn't vaporware? (Seen lots of vaporware to this effect.)

http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/29/everledger/

and the above-linked NASDAQ blockchain thing almost certainly will not use Bitcoin's blockchain, though it's only a trial they are running and not a practical implementation

honestly i'm yet to read a compelling argument for using a blockchain instead of a shared DB where you can view who changed what but it's hilarious to see bitcoiner's squirm to argue their lovely 3 transaction-per-second bitcoin blockchain is still relevant

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

anthonypants posted:

so you've made r/bitcoinxt and r/bitcoin_xt already, right?

/r/bitcoinxt already has 1000 subscribers

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Man I wish I had gotten into techshit there is so much money waiting to be scammed

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

If Mike and Gavin wanted could the XT hardfork restore the lost MTGox coins? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 3 minutes ago by cryptoidiot2

Other comments on Reddit make me think they could.

If no, what technical issue prevents it? Isn't it just another line of code like the block size?

This would be a good reason to move to XT. I lost most of my savings at Gox. Has anyone asked for this yet?

I am thinking of writing the trustee to suggest they make sure it happens but I would need to pay a Japanese translator. I want to be sure to get the facts correct.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Robawesome posted:

the general consensus on reddit is to hold your bitcoins (sorry merchants) until the fork has been clearly resolved so I expect bitcoin retail sales to plummet like a rock in the ocean (from 2 to 0) in the coming weeks

divide by zero error

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

yeah i "lost" ;) 20000 coin in mtgox, please add them to 1HitLerDidNothingWrongggggghJewfv in xt thanks devs

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I guess the only code-based solution that didn't need extreme individual proof would be to invalidate any transactions that were sent to an address that sent to gox storage (the intermediary step being unique wallets for tracking deposits).

That would basically free all deposited coins from the black hole, and all coins that were spent from the storage address would just be "oh well" dupes that would be ignored to keep the history of the market stable, but lol at the shitstorm that even that would generate. Off the top of my head
* This wallet with 1000btc was mine but I deleted the private key
* The above, shouted by a thousand different people
* the amount of whiners that would go on about how unfair it is for the victims to get their coins back and how they should have learned a lesson
* The enormous price crash from everyone cashing out at once
* The enormous price rise from the advertising it would generate
* The pressure to do it again for every minor scam in existence
* The fact that it would prove coins aren't immutable at all

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DrPossum posted:

What becomes of any of us in the wintertime? :(
As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sentient Data posted:

I guess the only code-based solution that didn't need extreme individual proof would be to invalidate any transactions that were sent to an address that sent to gox storage (the intermediary step being unique wallets for tracking deposits).

That would basically free all deposited coins from the black hole, and all coins that were spent from the storage address would just be "oh well" dupes that would be ignored to keep the history of the market stable, but lol at the shitstorm that even that would generate. Off the top of my head
* This wallet with 1000btc was mine but I deleted the private key
* The above, shouted by a thousand different people
* the amount of whiners that would go on about how unfair it is for the victims to get their coins back and how they should have learned a lesson
* The enormous price crash from everyone cashing out at once
* The enormous price rise from the advertising it would generate
* The pressure to do it again for every minor scam in existence
* The fact that it would prove coins aren't immutable at all

that would also give coins back to anyone who paid someone for something by sending coins to a gox wallet, instead of giving it to the intended recipient.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So if I'm reading this correctly, the fork made 2 incompatible versions of bitcoin floating around, and the new fork has yet to yield any bitcoins from being mined? Maybe? :shrug:

Why can't THE FREE MARKET fix this?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

EorayMel posted:

So if I'm reading this correctly, the fork made 2 incompatible versions of bitcoin floating around, and the new fork has yet to yield any bitcoins from being mined? Maybe? :shrug:

Bitcoin Core is being mined right now. Miners choose which version of Bitcoin Core they are mining

The newest XT release still mines from Core, but when 75% of the last 1000 blocks have been mined by miners using the XT version, the fork will occur

Now that 75% of miners will be mining a new chain capable of 8MB blocks, and the holdouts still using a non-XT core version will be mining Core 1MB Bitcoin, though in all likelihood they would join the XT mining efforts immediately rather than continue mining the orphaned 1MB Bitcoin Core blockchain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EorayMel posted:

no, there's two fully compatible versions using the same blockchain. at some hypothetical point in the future, if a 75% threshold is met, then they'll diverge and the new one will be mining blocks the original won't accept.

so far no one using the new client has managed to mine a single block, but if they do, for now it will still be accepted by the original client

• Locked thread