Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not that I know of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does the "anime" of Knights of Sidonia get any better or more interesting? I'm about 5 episodes in and the only thing that's at all interesting to me is the setting even then it has elements I don't care for. The action isn't really doing much for me either. The cell animation is really distracting, I can't get over how stiff and stilted it is. Nihei sure can do some weird sci-fi but I see that he still hasn't come up with compelling characters.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp, I'm officially requesting this thread's help. I've been on an extended anime binge these last few days (being hospitalized does that to people :v: ), and I'm looking for more. Maybe some resident anime expert knows some other shows/OVA/movies that fit into it... I'm mostly looking for rather short shows with great animation, preferably finished (for optimal binge-watching). I'm also a sucker for non-chronological or confusing narration, if it comes together in the end. A huge negative are static scenes, boring action and general expressionlessness.

Big fan of: Madoka Magica, Baccano, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing OVA, almost everything by Satoshi Kon, Redline, Kara no Kyoukai (except movie 6, what the gently caress).
Not overwhelming, but still pretty good: Texhnolyze ( :qq: ), Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (mostly for animation + fun as hell two main characters, didn't really like the others), Kyousougiga, Evangelion (intense dislike for the early episodes, turned incredible in the end), Ghost in the Shell, Tengen Toppa Gurren Langan (very stylish + a bit generic at the start, only really loved it after the time skip), aaaaaaand Kill La Kill + Panty&Stocking (I like stupid + stylish energetic action).
Looked fine at first, then disappointed HARD: Cassheeeeeeeern Sins, Durarara, From the New World, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero.

Any ideas? I'm not expecting any more lightning in a bottle like Madoka (half the shows listed above I only tried when searching for anything similar), but who knows what else is out there...

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

check out gatchaman crowds

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gonna regurgitate my usual recommendation for people who like KLK and P&S: Re. Cutie Honey, a three part OAV from the early 2000's which a bunch of people from those first two shows and Evangelion worked on.
If you haven't seen FLCL either watch that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yozukara quartet has incredible animation and so have most kyoan shows

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

yozakura quartet

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Tatami Galaxy maybe. I'll throw in Eccentric Family too, but it's not as fast-paced as a lot of anime in your list.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Nichijou, Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta/Hoshi no Umi/Tsuki ni Naku, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ping Pong, Chihayafuru (just put these along with LOGH in the thread title.) Silver Spoon

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jimbot posted:

Does the "anime" of Knights of Sidonia get any better or more interesting? I'm about 5 episodes in and the only thing that's at all interesting to me is the setting even then it has elements I don't care for. The action isn't really doing much for me either. The cell animation is really distracting, I can't get over how stiff and stilted it is. Nihei sure can do some weird sci-fi but I see that he still hasn't come up with compelling characters.

Yeah, the CG-anime'd Sidonia is a poor adaptation. (Doesn't get much better, at least the first season.) The manga actually reads like Nihei's other work, for the most part.

Torquemadras posted:

Whelp, I'm officially requesting this thread's help. I've been on an extended anime binge these last few days (being hospitalized does that to people :v: ), and I'm looking for more. Maybe some resident anime expert knows some other shows/OVA/movies that fit into it... I'm mostly looking for rather short shows with great animation, preferably finished (for optimal binge-watching). I'm also a sucker for non-chronological or confusing narration, if it comes together in the end. A huge negative are static scenes, boring action and general expressionlessness.

Big fan of: Madoka Magica, Baccano, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing OVA, almost everything by Satoshi Kon, Redline, Kara no Kyoukai (except movie 6, what the gently caress).
Not overwhelming, but still pretty good: Texhnolyze ( :qq: ), Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (mostly for animation + fun as hell two main characters, didn't really like the others), Kyousougiga, Evangelion (intense dislike for the early episodes, turned incredible in the end), Ghost in the Shell, Tengen Toppa Gurren Langan (very stylish + a bit generic at the start, only really loved it after the time skip), aaaaaaand Kill La Kill + Panty&Stocking (I like stupid + stylish energetic action).
Looked fine at first, then disappointed HARD: Cassheeeeeeeern Sins, Durarara, From the New World, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero.

Any ideas? I'm not expecting any more lightning in a bottle like Madoka (half the shows listed above I only tried when searching for anything similar), but who knows what else is out there...
Gonna add:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (very stylish, satire that alternates between witty and goofy)
Steins;Gate (weird personalities + amusing character interactions)
Eve no Jikan
Soul Taker (action/drama, curveball made of style and :psyduck:)
Detroit Metal City

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 16, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Gonna regurgitate my usual recommendation for people who like KLK and P&S: Re. Cutie Honey, a three part OAV from the early 2000's which a bunch of people from those first two shows and Evangelion worked on.
If you haven't seen FLCL either watch that.

That's a good rec.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Gonna add:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (very stylish, satire that alternates between witty and goofy)
Steins;Gate (weird personalities + amusing character interactions)
Eve no Jikan
Soul Taker (action/drama, curveball made of style and :psyduck:)
Detroit Metal City

I second Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (as well as other Shinbo stuff), it's a real good rec in this case since if someone loves Madoka and dislikes Fate/Zero, they might like other stuff from the director of the former.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Seconding Ping Pong, FLCL and Tatami Galaxy, if you're ok with the art style (I assume so if you're OK with KLK, P+S, GL, etc)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

K-on

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Linnaeus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJ4VWoeOzs

That's more of a collection of bad scenes though

No, you see, you're wrong and that show and dub are solid gold.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

No, you see, you're wrong and that show and dub are solid gold.

I came here for something entirely different, but now I'm watching a gag dub of an otherwise dull kiddie ghost show... :v:

Definitely gonna check out Pingpong. I don't know about K-On, since I'm honestly a little repelled by the whole moe trend, but I keep hearing it's actually a good show... Only one way to find out for real, I guess!

Srice posted:

I second Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (as well as other Shinbo stuff), it's a real good rec in this case since if someone loves Madoka and dislikes Fate/Zero, they might like other stuff from the director of the former.

This is true - I said something to that effect over in the Madoka thread as well. Fate/Zero does some really fun stuff with the story (aside from stupid magic plot devices out of nowhere), but it has a nasty habit of making everything look dull and static, especially the action scenes (HOW). If it's the director at fault here, going this route looks promising... Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is fun so far! Maybe a bit long without a definite end/conclusion (?) in sight, but let's see where this goes.

Thanks so far!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Moe is good

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Moe is an essential characteristic.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The clips from that comedy redub is one of the only redubbing efforts that I've thought was actually hilarious. Teamfourstar and it's ilk are retarded 90+% of the time.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Holy poo poo K-On is such a ridiculously feelgood show

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
I just finished watching Squid Girl because i had fuckall to do this weekend.

Which Kyoto Animation should I watch (it's a long week) - besides tamako market. I just wanna kill the time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

K-On, probably.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Syllables posted:

I just finished watching Squid Girl because i had fuckall to do this weekend.

Which Kyoto Animation should I watch (it's a long week) - besides tamako market. I just wanna kill the time.

You're in luck, friend, since the Haruhi simulwatch is starting today.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

Srice posted:

You're in luck, friend, since the Haruhi simulwatch is starting today.

I tried watching Haruhi with the broadcast episode list ( with like episode 8 or something as the first one)

is it even worth trying to watch it this way? i got to like the island vacation episode before I kinda just forgot to watch it ( a year ago, so i'd start again new)

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Yes. I tried watching the episodes in chronological order once, and it's so much less satisfying.

EDIT:

Here's some order stuff if you need it.

Namtab posted:

If you've got a set that presents series 1 and 2 in the 2009 broadcast order (i.e. chronological season 1, with season 2 eps put in where they would fit in chronologically) then the correct episode order is:

The movie

If you own the two seasons as seperate box sets then season 1 may be presented in chronological order as opposed to broadcast order. The order then would be

SEASON 1 DVDS

SEASON 2 WOULD BE IN THE CORRECT ORDER

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

it's just so weird to see characters just there, and then in the next episode they're introduced.

like the espers guy.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

welcome to moe

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Torquemadras posted:

I like Hidamari Sketch more, but K-On is a (feel)good show.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

unpronounceable posted:

I like Hidamari Sketch more, but K-On is a (feel)good show.

It totally is. Those were some seriously relaxed ~13 episodes.
But I have to admit, I'm getting kind of tired of the formula - nothing really ever changes... Things just kinda happen to characters, they react, everything's the same the next day. I really don't mind episodes with the cast just doing whatever, but I'm missing the feeling of things going somewhere. Maybe I'm just a sucker for "rise to fame" stories - K-On is nice and cute and all, but not that. It's cool, but nothing I could watch forever.

Regarding the other suggestions (FEEDBACK, TO EARN MORE RECOMMENDATIONS :black101: ):

Yozakura Quartet looked nice, but utterly generic. First episode had some reaaaaally nice animation, tho... Not really interested.
FLCL is insane and I loved every single second. That baseball episode was just my kind of insanity, plus the giant gunslinger fight and and and :stare: drat, this one has to be added to my anime top tier list.
Gatchaman Crowds is... tough to watch. I was immediately annoyed by Hayime, but she's actually pretty cool, and the villain is very entertaining. Plus, they stomp out the monster-of-the-week formula immediately. I'm... just not too happy about the character designs. That loving panda is an abomination, the suit thingies look like garbage... And while it seems very interesting how the internet + connectivity takes center stage, it's reaaaaaaally heavy-handed and clunky. Would've preferred a much more natural introduction to that part of the setting. Who knows. Might watch this drunk. Just to see more of that insane Katze guy.
Ping Pong is incredible and probably one of the best-looking anime shows I've ever seen. I don't even like table tennis, but daaaaamn! Only three episodes in, but loving every second of it. "I am a machine!" gently caress yeah.
Steins;Gate is... Well, I'm not sure about this one. It seems really slow, right now? Some witty banter. I heard it gets really dark later on? I hope so, because by episode ~3 or so I was getting bored a little. I'm willing to continue this one, though.

As an unexpected bonus, I also stumbled across Nichijou. I feel like I'm missing out on a flashflood of horrible Japanese puns, but it's funny anyway :v: Let's see how long it stays entertaining; it looks pretty aimless too, but maybe I just won't mind.

That was my current opinion on anime, thank you for reading, I shall now continue watching Ping Pong and maybe Steins;Gate.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Torquemadras posted:

That loving panda is an abomination
:frogout:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ignoring the incredibly incorrect opinion on the panda if you like Ping Pong you will also probably like The Tatami Galaxy since it was done by the same director. It's also incredibly good.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torquemadras posted:

It totally is. Those were some seriously relaxed ~13 episodes.
But I have to admit, I'm getting kind of tired of the formula - nothing really ever changes... Things just kinda happen to characters, they react, everything's the same the next day. I really don't mind episodes with the cast just doing whatever, but I'm missing the feeling of things going somewhere. Maybe I'm just a sucker for "rise to fame" stories - K-On is nice and cute and all, but not that. It's cool, but nothing I could watch forever.

if im reading this right you havent watched the second season and that is hosed. watch the second season omg just loving.... watch the second season!!!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

PotU posted:

if im reading this right you havent watched the second season and that is hosed. watch the second season omg just loving.... watch the second season!!!

Okay

Gonna be so mad if they don't get to realize their dream of playing on a big-rear end stage, tho

So mad

littleorv posted:

Ignoring the incredibly incorrect opinion on the panda if you like Ping Pong you will also probably like The Tatami Galaxy since it was done by the same director. It's also incredibly good.

Yeah, heard that recommendation several times. Might give that one a whirl after I've finished Ping Pong!

And mascot characters suck

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paipai is the leader not a mascot

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Torquemadras posted:

Steins;Gate is... Well, I'm not sure about this one. It seems really slow, right now? Some witty banter. I heard it gets really dark later on? I hope so, because by episode ~3 or so I was getting bored a little. I'm willing to continue this one, though.

Yeah, the plot of Steins;Gate takes a while to get moving, and the characterization tries to distract you from the increasingly ominous paranoia/foreshadowing, but yes it does pick up later on. Ruka and Feris are also potentially kinda weak/annoying characters but their episodes do have some major :wtf: moments.

e: You mentioned liking Texhnolyze and Ghost in the Shell, so I might also recommend Serial Experiments Lain if you haven't seen it by now.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 21, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

silentsnack posted:

Yeah, the plot of Steins;Gate takes a while to get moving, and the characterization tries to distract you from the increasingly ominous paranoia/foreshadowing, but yes it does pick up later on. Ruka and Feris are also potentially kinda weak/annoying characters but their episodes do have some major :wtf: moments.

e: You mentioned liking Texhnolyze and Ghost in the Shell, so I might also recommend Serial Experiments Lain if you haven't seen it by now.

You should also watch Haibane Renmei.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
So I'm looking for a actiony / well-animated / MC curbstomping fools like a badass while dramatic music plays type anime. Because that's fun right ? Outting myself as having horrible taste here's a few things I've watched recently that are up that alley:
Unlimited Blade Works
Fate/Zero
Aldnoah.Zero (first season anyway)
Attack on Titan
No Game No Life
SAO S1
Overlord

Also not going to lie I have a low tolerance for overly confusing / incomprehensible narratives, huge amounts of filler, older animation styles (never really watched anime as a kid so it looks weird as hell to me when everything isn't all modern and polished looking), and massive tearjerkers. Like I dropped Tokyo Ghoul because the plot was too confusing, gross, and filled with emotional gutpunches. Dropped Akame ga Kill for similar reasons.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you haven't seen Sword of the Stranger or Redline start there.

• Locked thread