Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

Mean Genes was a burger place inside the E-club.

Yeah, it's an MWR-run Flightline Cafe now. Burgers and sandwiches with absolutely zero character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Mean Genes was a burger place inside the E-club.

Wait, you're stationed in Fallon now too?

Anyhow, I may be coming down there sometime in near-to-medium future to sit in on some classes at Havok. There should be a goon meet, we could all go LARPing or something.

Mean Genes is gone. They've got a starbucks and mini restaurant on one side, bar on the other. and apparantly a live band tomorrow (gently caress that going to reno)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

During casualty care at ECS the instructor told my patient to wake up and cause commotion mid-bandaging. He also told said patient his dick had been shot off, causing a bunch of screaming. I told him "Your dick is still there!" and placed his hand on his junk so he could verify it. He then calmed down.

I am learning so much.

Good thinking on your feet. Also glad to see you've jumped straight into dick touching with an open heart.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Good thinking on your feet. Also glad to see you've jumped straight into dick touching with an open heart.

N4I, please change thread title to this. TIA!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dick touching is an essential military medical skill

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Giving shots and slapping cocks

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

dick touching is an essential military skill

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Me = submariner = doctor

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

dick touching is an essential skill

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Schlabbalabba posted:

Me = submariner

Did you ever get your fish?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Dick touching for survival. Dick Watching for UA. Dick sucking for EP.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
In summary: dicks.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

Did you ever get your fish?

I did. Qualified up through NavSup, but got lazy and never did my CoW interviews. Oh well. Here is proof:

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/150702-N-DQ840-041.JPG

I have since become a "surface warrior" as well.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Schlabbalabba posted:

I did. Qualified up through NavSup, but got lazy and never did my CoW interviews. Oh well. Here is proof:

I'll vouch for this dude

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I'll vouch for this dude

Yo, remember like seven and a half years ago when we were standing watch at squadron everyday together and like two months in realized we were both goons?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Schlabbalabba posted:

You can always tell a submariner by the weird amount of ribbons, including the "Can't tell ya one"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Null Integer posted:

You can always tell a submariner by the weird amount of ribbons, including the "Can't tell ya one"

My NAM writeup left out the real reason I got it. Officially it was because I fixed poo poo that I had no business at all fixing because I never had C school nor any sort of knowledge about unix, but I still was able to come up with a work around to keep a unix towed array processing system running. Yes, my NAM was for hacking the gibson.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Null Integer posted:

twelve on a first is a weird number in the navy?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Schlabbalabba posted:

Yo, remember like seven and a half years ago when we were standing watch at squadron everyday together and like two months in realized we were both goons?

Yup, those were the days.

I just had my third lifestyle polygraph in 8 months. On one of the questions they said I indicated a physical response and asked what I was thinking about so I told them the truth. In an effort to clear my mind between questions (which they told me to do) I was thinking about the beach. An empty beach with some chill waves flowing at me and I'm just looking. Last time I was there, though, some girls were doing yoga in very small bikinis and my mind drifted for a second and that's what got me. They didn't like that answer, obv.

If those fuckers won't let me maintain access as a civilian I'll probably try to rejoin. There this program for officers called Cyber Warfare Engineer who do nothing but write code all day with no normal officer obligations. I think I'd be a good fit because before I got out I was the enlisted version of them at the main command they exist. I meet all the requirements regarding degree and background. And most military only need a counter intelligence polygraph which I already passed with no problem.

It's super hosed up I'm considering rejoining but cake noble lifestyle seems pretty cool. Have to lose some weight and start running again, though.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Yup, those were the days.

I just had my third lifestyle polygraph in 8 months. On one of the questions they said I indicated a physical response and asked what I was thinking about so I told them the truth. In an effort to clear my mind between questions (which they told me to do) I was thinking about the beach. An empty beach with some chill waves flowing at me and I'm just looking. Last time I was there, though, some girls were doing yoga in very small bikinis and my mind drifted for a second and that's what got me. They didn't like that answer, obv.

If those fuckers won't let me maintain access as a civilian I'll probably try to rejoin. There this program for officers called Cyber Warfare Engineer who do nothing but write code all day with no normal officer obligations. I think I'd be a good fit because before I got out I was the enlisted version of them at the main command they exist. I meet all the requirements regarding degree and background. And most military only need a counter intelligence polygraph which I already passed with no problem.

It's super hosed up I'm considering rejoining but cake noble lifestyle seems pretty cool. Have to lose some weight and start running again, though.

don't do it man

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Do NOT do CWE. The program has been a horrendous failure and they don't do what you think they do. They don't code a goddamned thing. Most of them are completely useless oxygen thieves and the handful of good ones are trying to bail because of the 5-year cinderella timeline associated with it. It's a broken program.

They are basically forcing all those guys to get out at 5 years or lateral transfer over to 1810/IW.

If you want to do actual cool-guy stuff, go do CNODP.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Boon posted:

Seperation orders in hand.

Later Navy.

God speed. :911:

Hope to be in the same shoes in 12 months.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

buttplug posted:

Do NOT do CWE. The program has been a horrendous failure and they don't do what you think they do. They don't code a goddamned thing. Most of them are completely useless oxygen thieves and the handful of good ones are trying to bail because of the 5-year cinderella timeline associated with it. It's a broken program.

They are basically forcing all those guys to get out at 5 years or lateral transfer over to 1810/IW.

If you want to do actual cool-guy stuff, go do CNODP.

What do they do, then? A buddy worked with them and seemed to have some decently high praise and another just commissioned as one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ded posted:

My NAM writeup left out the real reason I got it. Officially it was because I fixed poo poo that I had no business at all fixing because I never had C school nor any sort of knowledge about unix, but I still was able to come up with a work around to keep a unix towed array processing system running. Yes, my NAM was for hacking the gibson.

The XO was reading everyone's NAM citations while I waited in line. When he got to me, he paused, said he was going to censor himself, and then gave the reason of "unscrewing the paintlocker" because we were topside and he didn't want to say gently caress on a PA that went over the waterfront. Then he moved onto the next person and read their full citation and kept going on like normal.

I wish my actual citation had read "To SN Nice for Unfucking the paint locker." with nothing else on it because that's how it was awarded. It was the best thing, imo.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Those paint lockers are a big deal in the surface fleet, huh?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

there is nobody on an aircraft carrier more surly and self-serving than the goobers who run the various hazmat facilities

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

The paint locker on this particular ship had never been maintained or really cleaned in the 14 years of it's active service. There were 3-4 inch deep paint casseroles under the mixing tables/machines. I stripped the entire place down to bare metal, polished it all up, painted what needed to be painted, got the paint dispensers working right, and organized it all back into place. It was some loving work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DownByTheWooter posted:

there is nobody on an aircraft carrier more surly and self-serving than the goobers who run the various hazmat facilities

the supply guys in down in hazmat are the loving worst especially if you aren't in the mafia.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I imagine being on a ship as a junior sailor would consist of a lot of being screamed at by fat petty officers in rates that warrant only being ashamed in themselves and they yell to try and feel empowered and military like, because LS1 yelled at them in boot camp. Confirm/deny?

Also that it makes you want to kill yourself more than other areas of the Navy.

Also that it's for faggots.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

The paint locker on this particular ship had never been maintained or really cleaned in the 14 years of it's active service. There were 3-4 inch deep paint casseroles under the mixing tables/machines. I stripped the entire place down to bare metal, polished it all up, painted what needed to be painted, got the paint dispensers working right, and organized it all back into place. It was some loving work.

Did you get left to your own devices for this process, because if so it was probably more pleasant than supervised work would be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

Did you get left to your own devices for this process, because if so it was probably more pleasant than supervised work would be.

I did. The only help I had was a couple of days a week one of the ensigns that really didn't have a job on the ship would come down and help. It was nice to go to quarters and just head down to the paintlocker after changing and get to work.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Not every whack shack comes equipped with paint thinner to huff. Bravo Zulu, shipmate!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So... My work is garnishing my wages until I pay back my health premiums from when I joined the navy because I didn't give them a request to cancel them.

http://ec.militarytimes.com/guard-reserve-handbook/rights-responsibilities/employment-rights/

Seems to me that they are full of poo poo and looks like something I should take up my chain of command?

Anyone ever deal with something like this?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LingcodKilla posted:

So... My work is garnishing my wages until I pay back my health premiums from when I joined the navy because I didn't give them a request to cancel them.

http://ec.militarytimes.com/guard-reserve-handbook/rights-responsibilities/employment-rights/

Seems to me that they are full of poo poo and looks like something I should take up my chain of command?

Contact your chain/labor board.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Start with your LPO & Yeomen, most likely you will end up talking to legal. Start it or kiss that money goodbye forever.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Fart Sandwiches posted:

It's super hosed up I'm considering rejoining

You will make garbage pay! if you're going to leave Pensacola anyways you might as well just move to DC and get any job anywhere with your background. Go apply to SANS.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

You will make garbage pay! if you're going to leave Pensacola anyways you might as well just move to DC and get any job anywhere with your background. Go apply to SANS.

The problem with non-cleared civilian jobs is they expect you to do work and have skills. I've been with the government too long! For real worst case I would move to san fran (college roommate can get me good work) or other tech hub like MD but there is something appealing about not doing any work for 5 years and getting paid. It's the navy way.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

20 years ago today, I joined the Navy. 14 years ago yesterday, I got the gently caress out. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Mad Dragon posted:

20 years ago today, I joined the Navy. 14 years ago yesterday, I got the gently caress out. :feelsgood:

I just hit my 4th year as a civilian. poo poo owns. I'm just kidding about re-joining. My beard is too rad to give up now.

• Locked thread