Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tiggum posted:

What's wrong with ordinary dishwashing liquid?

secret government nanomachines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
christ tiggum it's like you aren't even paying attention at all

YOU SOUND LIKE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO KEEP TELLING ME TO TAKE MY MEDICINE

WELL gently caress YOU I AM MUCH SHARPER WITHOUT THEM

i am onto you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lifehack: People have been using metal spatulas on cast-iron pans for about 40000 years don't be loving skillet nerds, goons.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Tiggum posted:

What's wrong with ordinary dishwashing liquid?

I'm assuming that you already scrubbed off your knife with hot soapy water, which isn't really a safe assumption to make give the previous posts in this thread. My bad

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Going by the last couple of pages it's more likely they were wiped in bacon grease.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lifehack: People have been using metal spatulas on cast-iron pans for about 40000 years don't be loving skillet nerds, goons.

Spatulas didn't exist until the 1500s :eng101:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CommunistPancake posted:

Spatulas didn't exist until the 1500s :eng101:

I said "about" :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Radio Help posted:

I'm assuming that you already scrubbed off your knife with hot soapy water, which isn't really a safe assumption to make give the previous posts in this thread. My bad

So, the bleach thing is in addition to actually washing the knife? What's the purpose of that?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Tiggum posted:

So, the bleach thing is in addition to actually washing the knife? What's the purpose of that?

forensic examination walla

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Or you could be like my former roommate's girlfriend, and soak a cast-iron pan in soapy water overnight after scrubbing the hell out of it.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Twitch posted:

Or you could be like my former roommate's girlfriend, and soak a cast-iron pan in soapy water overnight after scrubbing the hell out of it.

"I'm helping!" :downs:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I had an old cast iron pan that was kind of crap and everything stuck to it. Did this whole overengineered thing to it: Oven cleaner and steel wool, then six coats of flax seed oil burnt in the oven.

It actually came out great and is a very nice pan now. The life hack are the couple of days where your house smells like burnt flax seed oil.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-7NDP8V-6A

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Tiggum posted:

Soap, water and scrubbing cleans whatever you're washing, and a weak bleach solution (or more commonly in the kitchen world, quaternary ammonium) disinfects it. It isn't really a step you have to take for most dishes, as most dishwashers will sanitize whatever you put in it via heat, steam, and soap. But those factors are all terrible for knives, so if you're cutting up raw meat or whatever, dip it in some weak bleach water after you wipe it down and let it air dry instead of putting it in your dishwasher. A tablespoon of bleach is insanely cheap.

way cheaper than running a dishwasher for a cycle, btw

I've been a cook for like 9 years at this point so I'm anal about this sort of junk

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lifehack: jazz up that quaternary ammonium with the cleaning power of bleach! Walla!

(dont do this.)

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Twitch posted:

My girlfriend's former roommate stored his cast iron pan in the broiler, thinking it was a secret pan storage area. It took us weeks to figure out why, when we turned the oven on, the entire place smoked up in forty seconds.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just trim meat with my pocket knife then wipe it off on a napkin when I'm done. I also don't do any weird "seasoning" rituals on my cast iron, I just cook with it then wipe it out with a paper towel.

I'm probably going to be the source of a zombie outbreak or some poo poo.

Edit: I'm one of those people who cooks steaks and pork chops for like 30 seconds per side so I'm getting all of the deadly germs regardless.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Aug 15, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Radio Help posted:

Soap, water and scrubbing cleans whatever you're washing, and a weak bleach solution (or more commonly in the kitchen world, quaternary ammonium) disinfects it. It isn't really a step you have to take for most dishes, as most dishwashers will sanitize whatever you put in it via heat, steam, and soap.
So you're saying that if I don't have a dishwasher, I should be bleaching all my dishes? Who does that? Why do you think that's necessary?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiggum posted:

So you're saying that if I don't have a dishwasher, I should be bleaching all my dishes? Who does that? Why do you think that's necessary?

I know I'm the one who's bad at dishes, but most of my dishes only get cooked or otherwise safe-to-eat food on them. My knives often experience contact with things that are unsafe to eat.

Not that I bleach anything, really.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Twitch posted:

Death by guillotine.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus, loving goons. I would never have thought you could be a sperg about kitchen utensils and pans and yet here we are.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Danger Mahoney posted:

Jesus, loving goons. I would never have thought you could be a sperg about kitchen utensils and pans and yet here we are.

Look at this scrub with no respect for the tools in his kitchen

you probably think al dente is a brand of toothpaste in Mexico

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
One time we ran out of carrots so Danger Mahoney went to the store and brought back a copy of The Hours because I told him we needed to julienne more

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Every comercial food prep does this. And that goon has working in that industry for 9 years. It not unreasonable to let a 9 year habit bleed into your normal life.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

One time we ran out of carrots so Danger Mahoney went to the store and brought back a copy of The Hours because I told him we needed to julienne more

Urngh, gently caress you for reminding everyone of that movie.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

:master:

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Tiggum posted:

As stated above, I'm a professional cook (sous chef of a fairly successful restaurant/bar to be specific). Failure to do things like stay on top of sanitizing surfaces, dishes, etc can lead to cross contamination, which is what gives people food poisoning. As I said before, you don't really have to do it at home, but it's a good idea when you're cleaning up after cutting lovely (literally) safeway chicken or stuff like that. It's not like it's this huge herculean task or anything. I normally only bleach down glasses and silverware when my roommates are sick.

Anyways sorry for starting to a dumb derail

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Radio Help posted:

As stated above, I'm a professional cook (sous chef of a fairly successful restaurant/bar to be specific). Failure to do things like stay on top of sanitizing surfaces, dishes, etc can lead to cross contamination, which is what gives people food poisoning. As I said before, you don't really have to do it at home, but it's a good idea when you're cleaning up after cutting lovely (literally) safeway chicken or stuff like that. It's not like it's this huge herculean task or anything. I normally only bleach down glasses and silverware when my roommates are sick.

This is actually on topic.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

:vince:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Danger Mahoney posted:

You can never be too careful with your tools because you never know when your life will depend upon them. All too often I've underestimated the effectiveness of the turkey baster when it came to cleaning alien nanodevices from my colon with the cleansing power of bleach and salt, and yet it's worked every time. The bleeding and the pain is horrifying, but it's a good pain, the sort of pain that lets you know you are alive and free of the Illuminati's all-encompassing grip.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
If you mix stevia and water in a blender, you get Pure H20

TIGER HOODZ
Aug 3, 2009

Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks

Radio Help posted:

You didn't start a derail. Tiggs was just being dense per usual and needs everything completely spelled out for him.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Danger Mahoney posted:

Cooking related topics do have a habit of turning into "You don't do this thing like I do, so you are basically Kitchen Hitler". See: GWS

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Danger Mahoney posted:

Yea it's just goons who do this. I can't think of any chefs who sperg about kitchen stuff. Oh wait, I meant I can't think of any who don't.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lifehack: Don't listen to professional chefs' advice. If they had their poo poo together, they'd have real jobs.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lifehack: Don't listen to professional chefs' advice. If they had their poo poo together, they'd have real jobs.

Hey if you're gonna quote Anthony Bourdain, at least give him credit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Karma Monkey posted:

Hey if you're gonna quote Anthony Bourdain, at least give him credit.

I don't watch infomercials.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriously, anyone who voluntarily cooks for as long as I have has made some very, very dumb decisions in their life.

May not have decent health insurance or a 401(k) but at least I know how to make a nice gumbo. #povertyhax #crushingalcoholisn #existentialdespair

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Radio Help posted:

Seriously, anyone who voluntarily cooks for as long as I have has made some very, very dumb decisions in their life.

May not have decent health insurance or a 401(k) but at least I know how to make a nice gumbo. #povertyhax #crushingalcoholisn #existentialdespair

I really love gumbo, what's your secret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Jia posted:

I really love gumbo, what's your secret

Bleach