Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Trivia posted:

If anything Japan is a prime candidate for geothermal, but it's anyone's guess as to why they're not going down that avenue.

There is so much loving NIMBYism concerning people really horrified that geothermal is going to ruin their beautiful onsen. It's tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Trivia posted:

If anything Japan is a prime candidate for geothermal, but it's anyone's guess as to why they're not going down that avenue.

It's unironically NIMBY stuff about messing up the onsens.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Trivia posted:

THE ONSENS WILL GO COLD! :byodood:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

EDIT: Beaten, so beaten.

Hot springs/tourism industry pushback and many geothermal sites being on government-protected land meant that there wasn't even any geothermal being built at all from 1999 to 2014, but the industry's jumping back to life again.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Hahaha, Jesus Japan wtf.

Sento are just as good; I've been to both and seriously couldn't give a poo poo.

But that's me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It also doesn't matter since the inside of the Earth will continue to be hot until the sun expands and heats up enough to scour the Earth of all life and drilling some holes for geothermal power will have not the tiniest effect on that

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

It also doesn't matter since the inside of the Earth will continue to be hot until the sun expands and heats up enough to scour the Earth of all life and drilling some holes for geothermal power will have not the tiniest effect on that

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Saw a tear jerking documentary about JAL 123 the other day which neglected to mention calling off US help. Some things are just different.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Where has the recent obsession with the idea that China is trying to portray itself as a victor of world war II come from? I thought it was just crazy people, but now even Fuji News Network, in a piece on a "WWII Pacific War Memorial Hall" some Chinese group opened in San Francisco, randomly stated "中国の戦勝国としての立場を世界にアピールする狙いがあると見られます" (it's a complete non-sequitur at the end of the piece). Like, I could sort of understand if people claimed it was to score political points against Japan or even just to troll Japan, but this bizarre concern that China gets to count as having won WWII and it's unfair is totally loving insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4pLy3ifSiI

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You mean like Japanese are angry the Chinese say they won?

This year they're having a holiday for the 70th anniversary here in China, and it's hilarious since every announcement they call it China's victory over Japan. Just China, nobody else was involved the way they're wording it. Even the Koreans weren't claiming that for their 70th anniversary holiday.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

You mean like Japanese are angry the Chinese say they won?
Yeah. I've seen this come up various place in the last year, but I was surprised that it's mainstream enough to be stated as an unsourced consensus opinion on a news program. I mean I suppose it's silly for China to actually make this sort of claim, but I guess everyone expects that sort of propaganda from China. If this type of comment gets common enough that politicians start talking about it, for example, it could be really bad PR for Japan if it gets picked up in the international media and Japan is seen as being determined to intentionally rub in its invasion of China at every opportunity.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mystes posted:

Yeah. I've seen this come up various place in the last year, but I was surprised that it's mainstream enough to be stated as an unsourced consensus opinion on a news program. I mean I suppose it's silly for China to actually make this sort of claim, but I guess everyone expects that sort of propaganda from China. If this type of comment gets common enough that politicians start talking about it, for example, it could be really bad PR for Japan if it gets picked up in the international media and Japan is seen as being determined to intentionally rub in its invasion of China at every opportunity.

But...

China was a victor of WW2. That's why they got a permanent seat on UNSC, like the other victorious allies.

Japan was defeated, by Russia, by America, by England and France; by Republic of China, by Australia, by New Zealand and Canada.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

But...

China was a victor of WW2. That's why they got a permanent seat on UNSC, like the other victorious allies.

Japan was defeated, by Russia, by America, by England and France; by Republic of China, by Australia, by New Zealand and Canada.

By your logic, we should also consider Italy a victor of WWII.

mystes
May 31, 2006

OK, I guess Japan can rest easy knowing that everyone else wants to argue about which countries count as having won WWII as well.

Edit: On a different subject, how about the long awaited Abe Statement? I'm surprised there hasn't been any discussion of that yet here. I guess at least he used the word "aggression," and it was pretty reasonable over all (especially compared to what people had been expecting until a couple weeks ago), but of course he still insisted on opening up a whole new can of worms.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 16, 2015

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
nobody won ww2 hth

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know how you could say that China wasn't a victor in WWII.

France and Poland on the other hand...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

China as Pyrrhic victory I could see an argument for. The US was the only unequivocal victor, the casualty figures are nothing to sneeze at but the US came out of the war better off in every other possible way and dominated economically for decades while the rest recovered, so.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How do they think China got its permanent on the UN security council, AKA the WW2 Winner's Club?

They (or at least the RoC) probably deserve it more than the collaborator French

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 16, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

China as Pyrrhic victory I could see an argument for. The US was the only unequivocal victor, the casualty figures are nothing to sneeze at but the US came out of the war better off in every other possible way and dominated economically for decades while the rest recovered, so.

USSR came out ahead too. They lost a ton of guys but in return got a ton of land, along with political domination of even more land.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't know how you could say that China wasn't a victor in WWII.

Communist China yes, Republic of China not so much.

Also for the UN = WW2 victor's club segue, it's worth pointing out that it was Republic of China sitting at the UN until the 70s, not the People's Republic of China.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 17, 2015

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Communist China was a WW2 victor if you are a Chinese Communist or a product of its education system.

Check out this fantastic new movie where Mao Zedong is the star of the Cairo Declaration meeting somehow, because he was of course the leader of China during the War of Resistance to Japanese Aggression and the World Anti-Fascist War (these are the terms China uses for WWII).

If you are not a dumb historical revisionist, Chiang Kai-shek, the KMT and his warlord buddies shouldered a Soviet-tier burden of fighting during WWII. Only the Soviet Union suffered as many casualties, civilian and military, as Nationalist China.

Then, when Japan finally surrendered, the Communists launched a full-scale assault on KMT holdings in north China and won the Civil War after four more years of fighting.

The occasional Red Army partisan sniping a couple Japanese soldiers before extorting food out of a local village doesn't really count for China winning the war against Japan.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

My Imaginary GF posted:

Adorable

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sheep posted:

Communist China yes, Republic of China not so much.
Most of the people who fought against Japan and lived to see the Chinese civil war end did not flee to Taiwan. Its fair to say that the Chinese won or that China was a victor, just not the Communist Chinese. You wouldn't deny France its honorable defeat in WWII because of 4th Republic/5th Republic divide, would you? Germany lost both wars, even though today's Germany is a totally different state.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

plucky little chiang kai shek

:godwinning:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Most of the people who fought against Japan and lived to see the Chinese civil war end did not flee to Taiwan. Its fair to say that the Chinese won or that China was a victor, just not the Communist Chinese. You wouldn't deny France its honorable defeat in WWII because of 4th Republic/5th Republic divide, would you? Germany lost both wars, even though today's Germany is a totally different state.

The whole point of my statement was that one Chinese state made net losses and the other made net gains, not whether "the Chinese" themselves were victors (they obviously were).

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 18, 2015

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Could someone tell me the story behind Terry? Everytime he opens his mouth he sounds like a belligerent arse, but apparently he was part of a student uprising?
I would like to know more about this character.
Edit: I mean the wanker in the hat whose eyes are split between London and Paris and used to be on スッキリ in the mornings

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 18, 2015

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

MediumWellDone posted:

Could someone tell me the story behind Terry? Everytime he opens his mouth he sounds like a belligerent arse, but apparently he was part of a student uprising?
I would like to know more about this character.
Edit: I mean the wanker in the hat whose eyes are split between London and Paris and used to be on スッキリ in the mornings

テリー伊藤? Not sure about the particulars of his story, but he seems like your typical Japanese (or American) boomer: was all fiery and idealistic in the 60s and 70s, then got old and conservative.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apparently his eyes are like that because he was hit by a rock at a student demo in the 60's.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
:siren:Shots fired:siren:

e: wait, poo poo wrong thread

Morton Salt Grrl fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 20, 2015

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

Teddles posted:

:siren:Shots fired:siren:

e: wait, poo poo wrong thread

All look same

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Was a us base attacked in Japan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YwCtAL2-iA

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

They're not calling it an attack at this point, so it's unclear exactly what happened beyond the explosion and fire.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/23/pentagon-confirms-explosion-us-military-base-japan

quote:

In the statement emailed to the Guardian, commander Bill Urban added: “There are no reports of injury, and base firefighters and first responders are currently fighting the resulting fire to prevent its spread to nearby buildings.”

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what else could it be? accident?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Maybe? The local firefighters noted "dangerous materials" but the U.S. Army is claiming otherwise while simultaneously saying they don't know what's in there:

quote:

"The building that exploded was not a hazardous material storage facility. We are in the process of determining the contents of the building. The depot does not store ammunition or radiological materials," Lieutenant Colonel Kevin Toner told Reuters in an email.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/23/us-usa-japan-military-blast-idUSKCN0QS0SF20150823

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It says they were storing compressed oxygen there. If that was leaking there's a lot of otherwise fairly safe stuff that is happy to burst into flames when the oxygen concentration increases enough. Seems like a much simpler explanation than an attack.

That's also assuming the army is telling the truth that they weren't storing anything explosive there.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

It says they were storing compressed oxygen there. If that was leaking there's a lot of otherwise fairly safe stuff that is happy to burst into flames when the oxygen concentration increases enough. Seems like a much simpler explanation than an attack.

That's also assuming the army is telling the truth that they weren't storing anything explosive there.

nah a secret attack by commienazis is much more likely if every movie ive ever seen is any indication

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

thats why they killed tom clancy

they didnt want us to know :tinfoil:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Bro Dad posted:

thats why they killed tom clancy

they didnt want us to know :tinfoil:

It's Eco-Terrorists. Definitely Eco-Terrorists.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Just thought I'd share with the thread that I met someone working in the Japanese Cabinet Secretariat and he said that in a cabinet meeting some weeks ago Sanae Takaichi stood up and started shouting about how they need to prepare for war with China in the next few years lol. He wouldn't tell me what the reaction was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

For some reason, even though Hashimoto is totally really getting out of politics like he promised, he's now starting a new political party.