Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Thanks Sefer.

So if I keep my 4*s, which are at level 70, is that scaling things weird for me? My highest level 2* is currently Cpt. Marvel at 60, most of the rest 40-55.

There are some strange, unintuitive things in this game. Thanks to whoever was telling me about the defense system, as I was able to abuse the heck out of it with this dr. doom event. Sailed up the ladder to grab a globe point award, then with my last win I used some crappy level 15s against my remaining seed team. Then I was able to sit back and watch my rank plummet back down to 200 so I can get the OBW cover.

OBW is as great as everyone says, but when I play with her I tend to get the song Old Man River stuck in my head.

"oold blaack widdooow, that ooldd blaack widoow,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

ninja alamode posted:

Doom's purple is extremely powerful at 5 covers, it's the only one that's agreed to have at 5. I've been stuck at 4/4/5 for a long time and for a while I wanted a 5th black but the more I play with him the more I realize I don't use the black power and more use Doom for his purple and as a black generator for other characters, and will be taking him to 3/5/5. Will be really nice not having the blue tiles converted randomly anymore. If you don't have better black users to pair up with him tho 5/3/5 is probably preferable. Don't bother with 4/4/5, both black and blue are much more powerful at 5 than 4, so it basically comes down to how often will you use his black.

Th issue with 4 blue is that its like you should do 3 or 5, 4 does 1 tiles more then 3. 5 Does all.

So the choices are between 535 355 & 553

If you have him running with falcon I could see 553, the issue being that tiles don't last too long. Buffing them is an option for sure though

Purple at 3 is a heavy loss of damage but if you have another purple use on team it's totally reasonable.
He's a pretty decent black generator and has a nice little chunk of health.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Thanks Sefer.

So if I keep my 4*s, which are at level 70, is that scaling things weird for me? My highest level 2* is currently Cpt. Marvel at 60, most of the rest 40-55.

There are some strange, unintuitive things in this game. Thanks to whoever was telling me about the defense system, as I was able to abuse the heck out of it with this dr. doom event. Sailed up the ladder to grab a globe point award, then with my last win I used some crappy level 15s against my remaining seed team. Then I was able to sit back and watch my rank plummet back down to 200 so I can get the OBW cover.

OBW is as great as everyone says, but when I play with her I tend to get the song Old Man River stuck in my head.

"oold blaack widdooow, that ooldd blaack widoow,"

The scaling will only effect you with them if they are you're highest leveled characters. It averages your highest leveled dudes.

Like if you have x-factor wolverin at 94 like your highest 2 star? Good to go. Once you hit the 120's, things change.

Original black widow is nice, but I'm seriously considering lowering her purple from 5, 11 to steal 4 ap is heavy, especially vs like ares.
Black at 5 though is useless once someone else over powers her black.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So you mean to say that, because my highest two characters are two level 70 4* guys, that i'm experiencing scaling for a level 70 player? Because no one else is above 60 right now. Maybe I should dump them until I get my team above 70... What all scales that way? Single Player? Multi?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I run Doom 3/5/5 cause I pretty much run Doom with BP, and BP's Black is so much better.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

So you mean to say that, because my highest two characters are two level 70 4* guys, that i'm experiencing scaling for a level 70 player? Because no one else is above 60 right now. Maybe I should dump them until I get my team above 70... What all scales that way? Single Player? Multi?

No not super dramatically. It's more influenced (for me at least) when those 4 stars are boosted. No one is 100% certain about the boosting and the latest boosting is also changed. it used to be based on our levels combined with how well others completed the nodes.

Since you only have to 4 stars it's not effecting you much. You'll notice it when you start leveling some dudes past 70.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Welp, missed top 100 in the Deadpool PvE by 50 points :suicide:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Got 3 Deadpools in a late bracket with only one grinding session. Granted it was a really serious grinding session (5x all nodes, 6x for the easy ones), but hell I'll take that compared to the hell that I went through for Kingpin.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Got 3 Deadpools in a late bracket with only one grinding session. Granted it was a really serious grinding session (5x all nodes, 6x for the easy ones), but hell I'll take that compared to the hell that I went through for Kingpin.

so the same thing as my last 2 hours except you got 3 of his cover as opposed to 0.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Welp, missed top 100 in the Deadpool PvE by 50 points :suicide:

50?

I missed it by 34 :smuggo:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SectumSempra posted:

so the same thing as my last 2 hours except you got 3 of his cover as opposed to 0.

You ground down every node to 2 digit point values and got outside of top 100?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

AnonSpore posted:

You get in that fresh slice 5 bracket that was posted on the D3 forum?

I managed 14th in my bracket for 2 covers and merc'd out for a 3rd. Now I have a shiny 2/0/1 4*dpool

edit: I realized how much effort I put into getting 4* Deadpool and it's just sad. Spent probably 13 hours of playing time for some stupid comic book covers in a game. Would have rather spent 20 bucks on the character and gotten my time back.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 11, 2015

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

You ground down every node to 2 digit point values and got outside of top 100?

All but kingpin (didn't have) and ares (he was dead + no health packs + the value was like 1xx)

I was behind on a few refreshes from Saturday because it was busy but I figured the end grind would balance it all out.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

skipdogg posted:

edit: I realized how much effort I put into getting 4* Deadpool and it's just sad. Spent probably 13 hours of playing time for some stupid comic book covers in a game. Would have rather spent 20 bucks on the character and gotten my time back.

Too bad D3 would rather you grind and then spend money afterwards.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

skipdogg posted:

You get in that fresh slice 5 bracket that was posted on the D3 forum?

I managed 14th in my bracket for 2 covers and merc'd out for a 3rd. Now I have a shiny 2/0/1 4*dpool

Gotta get those 1st 3 covers of each color first, but yeah I'm with you, manual labor is more fun than a pve grind.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

SectumSempra posted:

All but kingpin (didn't have) and ares (he was dead + no health packs + the value was like 1xx)

I was behind on a few refreshes from Saturday because it was busy but I figured the end grind would balance it all out.

The end grind doesn't balance it all out, and the nodes you missed are enormous.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

The end grind doesn't balance it all out, and the nodes you missed are enormous.

and behind a few refreshes, I don't mean skipped out, I entirely mean, did them late.

It's a silly system for 'story' mode regardless, (I noticed they never called it pve, so maybe they don't intend on ever dropping the competitive aspect)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yes, but you pushed back the time when you would get your refreshes, which means there were less points in the final grind for you compared to someone who'd been doing them on the dot, and depending on how late you did them you might have missed one whole refresh entirely. I mean yeah it sucks, but new four star releases are always incredibly cutthroat.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I didn't get to play optimally, and I was about 10K points behind the leader. I usually play slice 3 which is 4pm/12am/8am refreshes, which I can usually hit. I joined a bracket around #200 at 8PM or so, so I was already a couple hours behind the first guy in the bracket. Then I slept in a little on Saturday and Sunday and probably had 4 hours of total time where nodes were at full points. Just that little bit was 6,000 points probably and I left 1633 points on the nodes at the end of the event. Assuming I grinded each node 2 more times I would have had another 2500 points or so. It all adds up over the course of the event. I'm not willing to play like those guys though so.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Ignite Memories posted:

The prologue stuff is all static, everything else scales. IIRC the metric it uses is it takes the average level of your four highest-leveled heroes and scales it so the harder nodes on each PvE map are at least 'normal' difficulty if not 'hard' for a team of that level (they can scale even beyond that for minion-only nodes, in the Hood PvE event in particular I have seen 'deadly' minion only nodes that reach the 300s for a max level 3* team).

SectumSempra posted:

Original black widow is nice, but I'm seriously considering lowering her purple from 5, 11 to steal 4 ap is heavy, especially vs like ares.
Black at 5 though is useless once someone else over powers her black.

5 black is actually the way most people build her. There's a decent argument for 4 black 4 purple, but most people go for 5 black 3 purple to maximize the extra damage and to bring the cost of the AP steal move down to 8AP while still stealing 3AP of everything else. (5 Blue is obviously a must.) And as far as 2* teams go, there aren't many heroes you might use that would override her on black AP. There's Daken, I guess, but I wouldn't use him and OBW together anyway. She fits better with Ares and Wolverine, numbing Ares' self-damage and feeding off Wolverine's strike tiles to make her black power murderous, since the extra damage counts as a separate hit from the initial match and thus gets independently strengthened by strike tiles.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

SectumSempra posted:

Like leveling not being based on how much you use a character, but their number of covers and how much iso the game trickles to you. Like 100 bucks in iso is still based on the game as if there were no 3 stars.
The hero points coming to you based on performance being based on your roster is also weird.

Yeah I mean I've gotten too much entertainment out of it to say it's a failure as a F2P, but the covers being independent of who you actually want to play as is a pretty evil mechanic. I mean you get hooked when you start and 1*'s come often enough that you can pick and choose who you want, and even 2*'s to an extent, but by the time you reach 3*'s your means to getting a character playable isn't picking one you like, it's to hope the game hands you enough covers of one guy that it's usable. I've got like 32 slots or something. 2 are 1*'s kept for the daily, 5 are 2*'s that I actually picked that are all maxed by now, and the remaining 20+ are 3*'s that just kinda sit there while I wait for one of them to get enough covers that it isn't useless. Doesn't matter that I like Bullseye and Cyclops or whatever and couldn't give a gently caress about Ragnarok, I just gotta collect a million different 3*'s in hope that one day some of them will a) be actually playable and b) hopefully be characters that I like.

I mean maybe if I'm still addicted to this poo poo in half a year my problem will be that I have a million different 3*'s leveled up and don't know how to pick between them, but right now the only sensible way to play the game is to hoard them all until the game finally shits out enough covers that I might be able to use a few of them.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Looking to get back into this, haven't played in quite a long while but felt the need to match colored gems.

Seeking some help in terms of what to do with what I have and what I have in the recruitment queue so far from the past few days playing, also what's the deal with alliances is there a goon alliance?

Made a spreadsheet here in google docs of what I have (on the left) and what's in my recruitment queue (on the right) Does anyone have any tips on what I should sell? what I should work on leveling up next? what I should recruit? etc. I have 24/24 slots filled but could afford a few more slots maybe if anything in my queue is particularly worth getting.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

WetSpink posted:

Looking to get back into this, haven't played in quite a long while but felt the need to match colored gems.

Seeking some help in terms of what to do with what I have and what I have in the recruitment queue so far from the past few days playing, also what's the deal with alliances is there a goon alliance?

Made a spreadsheet here in google docs of what I have (on the left) and what's in my recruitment queue (on the right) Does anyone have any tips on what I should sell? what I should work on leveling up next? what I should recruit? etc. I have 24/24 slots filled but could afford a few more slots maybe if anything in my queue is particularly worth getting.

Can Venom, Moonstone and Bullseye off your list and take on Deadpool Patch and Human Torch. If you get anything else good you might want to consider getting rid of ragnarok at this early stage since you only have 2 covers anyways. Make more slots. You need slots badly.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

WetSpink posted:

I mostly agree with Snazzy, but Moonstone got a decent increase in utility recently, so she might be worth keeping around. On the other hand, you have a good number of higher tier 2*s already, so the odds of you using her may be pretty low. Either way, all of your HP should be going to slots for the foreseeable future; as attackmole just pointed out, transitioning to 3* characters involves a lot of collecting characters and hoping you get more covers for them.

It may be worth picking up 1* Juggernaut at some point, he's the best 1* to have later in the game.

There are several goon alliances (only 20 players per alliance), but I don't know which ones have open spots right now.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

CidGregor posted:

5 black is actually the way most people build her. There's a decent argument for 4 black 4 purple, but most people go for 5 black 3 purple to maximize the extra damage and to bring the cost of the AP steal move down to 8AP while still stealing 3AP of everything else. (5 Blue is obviously a must.) And as far as 2* teams go, there aren't many heroes you might use that would override her on black AP. There's Daken, I guess, but I wouldn't use him and OBW together anyway. She fits better with Ares and Wolverine, numbing Ares' self-damage and feeding off Wolverine's strike tiles to make her black power murderous, since the extra damage counts as a separate hit from the initial match and thus gets independently strengthened by strike tiles.

It only really started to stick out because of the last 2 events, loki was boosted in one, doom in the other. I know some people use her with 3 stars and both of them had stronger black.
Bullseye ** uses black but I don't use them together anyhow.
I guess I just actually have to get black covers, and at the rate I get OBW covers, that won't be soon.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

attackmole posted:

Yeah I mean I've gotten too much entertainment out of it to say it's a failure as a F2P, but the covers being independent of who you actually want to play as is a pretty evil mechanic. I mean you get hooked when you start and 1*'s come often enough that you can pick and choose who you want, and even 2*'s to an extent, but by the time you reach 3*'s your means to getting a character playable isn't picking one you like, it's to hope the game hands you enough covers of one guy that it's usable. I've got like 32 slots or something. 2 are 1*'s kept for the daily, 5 are 2*'s that I actually picked that are all maxed by now, and the remaining 20+ are 3*'s that just kinda sit there while I wait for one of them to get enough covers that it isn't useless. Doesn't matter that I like Bullseye and Cyclops or whatever and couldn't give a gently caress about Ragnarok, I just gotta collect a million different 3*'s in hope that one day some of them will a) be actually playable and b) hopefully be characters that I like.

I mean maybe if I'm still addicted to this poo poo in half a year my problem will be that I have a million different 3*'s leveled up and don't know how to pick between them, but right now the only sensible way to play the game is to hoard them all until the game finally shits out enough covers that I might be able to use a few of them.

I've already gotten to the point where I just sell off anyone who I don't like skill wise.
so
Punisher, bullseye, dc oc, punisher, psylocke, she hulk, squirrel girl (well I just didn't get any covers besides the first), *** Cap america, scarlet witch (IT WAS A MISTAKE AND JUST 1 PURPLE COVER) and maybe others I can't think of hit my '500 iso' list.
Never got one but grey suit black widow is on my do not roster list too, shits too expensive. I only made this hit list of don't use characters because of my growing 1 cover 4 star collection.

It only feels like a failure to me in the tempt me to spend money aspect.

I know personally it's only the marvel aspect lulling me in and my favorite characters. I tried puzzles and dragons. I could tell it was a game with deeper game play, I just couldn't get into the monsters/ anime girls.
____

as far as any 1 star discussion goes, juggernaut can solo the first node of DDQ every day, it's also the only one that requires a 1 star.

** magneto, ** bulls-eye and ** storm (replace bullseye with required character for 4th) can handle the rest handily, until you get strong stuff.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 12, 2015

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Attention casual players:
Today is Blue Hood for Deadpool daily, and the Deadpool tournament ending Sunday is giving out Black Black Panther for top 100.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Even if your team sucks, give the deadpool pvp a shot until the first token if you have the vault.

I got one of the 4 dead pools first try, and if you're in 2 star land, everything in the vault is of some use anyhow.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

21st Cherry boy posted:

Attention casual players:
Today is Blue Hood for Deadpool daily, and the Deadpool tournament ending Sunday is giving out Black Black Panther for top 100.

The issue is deadpool and jean grey are progression, and half the player base is fighting for the other 2 recruit tokens (because of the vault), so it'll be a bit of a bloodbath, also whenever the 3 star is good the competition is high.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

SectumSempra posted:

The issue is deadpool and jean grey are progression, and half the player base is fighting for the other 2 recruit tokens (because of the vault), so it'll be a bit of a bloodbath, also whenever the 3 star is good the competition is high.

If you care about placement rather than progression, just play late. Most everyone is going to be using the loaner Deadpool so don't worry about that aspect.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, I love Hulksplosions. It's probably not a recommended thing because it tears through healthpacks, but Patch and Hulk are just great fun together. Patch does some Reds and Greens, Strike Tiles go everywhere, every match from the enemies sets off Anger, Hulk blows them all to bits.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Got my Hood to 166 5/5/3 a few days back and holy poo poo this motherfucker breaks the game in two he's so good.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I kept my hood at 140 so other characters could tank for him on climbs. That new hood smell goes away pretty quick when you realize how slow he makes your team even if he's slowing the other team down. I use either fast attackers or ap accelerators and end the matches as quick as possible these days

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Shut up and let me enjoy this okay :(

Also wow it's easy to hit 2k+ in shield late in the season. In the future I'll have to do the push late instead of early and save on the hp.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I now have full covers for Juggs, IM35, Cpt Marvel 2, Wolvie 2, OBW, Classic Storm and Human Torch. On their way up we have Hawkguy, MN Magneto, Classic Thor and Ares. Who is worth maxing first, and who else should I seek to complement these guys? Right now everybody with full covers is in the 50s or early 60s, and the level grinding is starting to slow down a little.

Kamala and Grocket are sitting around with 3 and 4 covers, as well. I really like the characters but they're locked in the low 50s until I can come up with some more covers. I have a few random 3s from when I was just recruiting things without thinking about it - Gray Widow, Psylocke and Hulk. I wouldn't mind losing one or two, but I don't want to do it frivolously.

I've also got some covers rotting in the loading bay - 2 Red 1 Yellow CptAmerica2*, 2 Black Bullseye3*, Pink Falcon, Green Quicksilver, Red Vision. In the next day or two I've gotta sell off some of these babies. Anyone in there worth keeping?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 16, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Daredevil Blade in Enemy of the State gets pretty hilarious once you get a few nightstalkers going. Every red tile is an ambush tile :getin:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Ignite, I think it's better to focus on a few (3 it 4) 2*s and get then to 94 instead of having a wide bench. Long term, you would rather sell a 2* instead of ditching a 3 for lack of room, especially since you need it to do the daily deadpool.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Roster slots are going to be your biggest challenge as a newcomer and as loathe as I am to suggest it, you might want to consider blowing some money to have enough to work with if you find you're enjoying the game.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wait until a sale though (although I haven't seen an ISO/HP sale in a while).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Roster slots are going to be your biggest challenge as a newcomer and as loathe as I am to suggest it, you might want to consider blowing some money to have enough to work with if you find you're enjoying the game.

I've already dropped around ten bux into the game because I've been enjoying it, but I have 20 roster slots now. How many do I really need?