Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Side Effects posted:

I wasn't really bothered by the fact that he didn't play any songs. It is the post apocalypse, the fact that they even have a working guitar at all would be pretty rare.

It's a guitar with a loving flamethrower built in, be amazed it was even pretending to be in tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It was a goddamn FULLY FUNCTIONAL double necked guitar+flamethrower. Quite a badass prop if you ask me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If Coma was playing some real sick jams, I wouldn't find that terrifying. I'd be like, "Aww yeah those are some sweet jams".
His weird not-music well reflected the chaos of the movie.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Inzombiac posted:

If Coma was playing some real sick jams, I wouldn't find that terrifying. I'd be like, "Aww yeah those are some sweet jams".
His weird not-music well reflected the chaos of the movie.

He also sang like an angel :3

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That sounds exactly like what I expected, but I heard none of that in the theater. Whenever the camera panned past the doof wagon it was just a bit of noise and then it moved along.

:shrug:

https://youtu.be/EPydRKuhuEk?t=32s

What you hear doesn't match what he's playing, and its just noise. There's none of the riffing from that video above in the clip from the actual movie.
E: Okay he plays something audible for like one second at the last bit when the fire is blazing, and then it pans away. The drums are much clearer and more audible during the whole clip. Bad mixing I think, and bad selection of which parts of that long doof warrior song to play in the actual movie.

Panfilo posted:

It was a goddamn FULLY FUNCTIONAL double necked guitar+flamethrower. Quite a badass prop if you ask me.

No that part was cool as gently caress, I'm 100% behind a guy on bungee cords playing a flamethrower guitar next to a Pantera style amp wall.

I just didn't hear much coming out of it which was really disappointing.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

That sounds exactly like what I expected, but I heard none of that in the theater. Whenever the camera panned past the doof wagon it was just a bit of noise and then it moved along.

:shrug:

https://youtu.be/EPydRKuhuEk?t=32s

What you hear doesn't match what he's playing, and its just noise. There's none of the riffing from that video above in the clip from the actual movie.
E: Okay he plays something audible for like one second at the last bit when the fire is blazing, and then it pans away. The drums are much clearer and more audible during the whole clip. Bad mixing I think, and bad selection of which parts of that long doof warrior song to play in the actual movie.

Nah bro you can pretty clearly hear what they were going for:

https://youtu.be/WyPZzCmdFtE?t=10m25s

is the same as

https://youtu.be/EPydRKuhuEk?t=38s

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jmcrofts posted:

Nah bro you can pretty clearly hear what they were going for:

https://youtu.be/WyPZzCmdFtE?t=10m25s

is the same as

https://youtu.be/EPydRKuhuEk?t=38s

I dunno about "pretty clearly". Yeah you did find the right parts that match up, but listen to that second part, you can barely hear the part drowned out by everything else going on, and that's a barely second-long clip in the whole film.

You hear him play again later in the film but its a similarly half-second long sound that immediately gets drowned out again.

I wouldn't mind them playing some more of the audio from that first clip anytime they're panning around the whole caravan that the wagon was present in, but oh well.

Great film regardless no doubt, but this is the irrationally irritating thread :)

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is it possible that the cinema had lovely audio?
I didn't realise he was playing all that clearly either until I rewatched it at a different place.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Henchman of Santa posted:

He should've been playing High On Fire songs imo

Seconding this. Holy Flames Of The Firespitter would be perfect.

Or maybe some Fleshgod Apocalypse, but they would have to find space for opera singers and strings on the Doofwagon.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
You can hear what the Doof Warrior is playing more clearly on the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8lebbgyopg

You can hear him fade in then start rocking out at about 2:20

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I watched Predestination and I thought it was an OK movie. I'm sure the time travelling stuff isn't coherent, but that's something I usually let slide.
What bothered me was The fact that they transform that woman into a man, saying that she had both male and female internal organs. Other than the prostate, men don't have internal organs that would allow for this idiocy to happen, and we know she didn't have a big pair of dangling balls before...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Non Serviam posted:

I watched Predestination and I thought it was an OK movie. I'm sure the time travelling stuff isn't coherent, but that's something I usually let slide.
What bothered me was The fact that they transform that woman into a man, saying that she had both male and female internal organs. Other than the prostate, men don't have internal organs that would allow for this idiocy to happen, and we know she didn't have a big pair of dangling balls before...

Until right before birth the testes are inside the body. Intersex people exist, most often with undescended testes. Heck a lot of men are born with them still inside as well, Google cryptorchidism, it's the most common genital abnormality in boys. That part isn't that far fetched.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

There's basically a zero chance Testes that were kept warm for over 2 decades inside the body would be productive.
I can't imagine how they could have done the story without that part, but it seemed stupid.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

There's basically a zero chance Testes that were kept warm for over 2 decades inside the body would be productive.
I can't imagine how they could have done the story without that part, but it seemed stupid.

I thought the "heat kills sperm so wear boxers" thing was temporary. Otherwise no one who survived the tightie whities craze of the 80s could be fertile.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Neither sperm nor eggs are fully developed at birth. They start to become so probably shortly before puberty, and then are continually brought online as it were. They're basically stemcells for one or the other. There's no reason to assume that you can't get viable sperm from some gonads that have been hanging out up in the pelvis for a decade or two.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Another thing from that movie. The male version looks like a budget Di Caprio

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Non Serviam posted:

Another thing from that movie. The male version looks like a budget Di Caprio

Hahah yeah she looks like late Titanic-era DiCaprio. Acts the hell out of that role/those roles, though.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Given the way the sex works in that movie and who's involved. there's no guarantee that the main character has anything like normal human physiology in terms of longevity and how their chromosomes and genitals work. They created themselves, after all. They might not even really count as 'human'.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

There's no reason to assume that you can't get viable sperm from some gonads that have been hanging out up in the pelvis for a decade or two.

Yes there is.

Cryptorchidism and its impact on male fertility posted:

The incidence of azoospermia in unilateral cryptorchidism is 13% and this figure increases to 89% in untreated bilateral cryptorchidism, making cryptorchidism the most common etiologic factor of azoospermia in the adult.

So nearly 90% of people with bilateral undescended testes will be totally and irreversibly infertile by the time they are adults. They also have a high incidence of testicular cancer.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jabby posted:

So nearly 90% of people with bilateral undescended testes will be totally and irreversibly infertile by the time they are adults. They also have a high incidence of testicular cancer.

They're also unlikely to travel back in time, but we're talking fringe cases here

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

WeAreTheRomans posted:

They're also unlikely to travel back in time, but we're talking fringe cases here

I want to complain about all the people spoiling the plot of the movie but I watched it after getting spoiled and I still really liked it. Also, that movie has some advance tech even for the 60s so I just treated it as a "parallel but more advance"-world.

My IIMM is the series Between on Netflix. It's a movie of >22 year olds behaving like people >22 years old probably would behave and every decision is pissing me (a 32 year old) off.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Bent (it's about gay men during the Holocaust) has a lot of problems but the part in it that bugged me the most was when the main character's boyfriend whines that he can't escape Berlin because he'll miss his dance classes. This is right when the Night Of The Long Knives is going on and they just saw a gay man have his throat slit by some nazis. :psyboom:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In fast five vince dies and tells Dom that h (Vince)e has a son named nico. Then with his dying breath he says we named him after you(Dom). A 3 second pause and Vince says "Dominic." Im pretty loving sure if Vince and Dom are close enough to name kids after each other you don't need to tell him his full ficking name to figure it out. It's not like Dom looked confused until Vince reminded him that his full name is Dominic and nico was pulled from it. Holy poo poo its pissing me off just thinking about it.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
In Californication about 90% of the plot over the course of seven seasons is about David Duchovny's friends and family acting like he's a terrible person and demanding he get his act together. Except his character is specifically written as a stand up guy who is loyal to a fault, well aware of right and wrong and strives to do right even if he comes up short, and is generally a pretty drat good guy.

He does get into some outlandish "whacky" situations that look bad on paper, but are for the most part very clearly not his fault and are either terrible misunderstandings or the results of someone else taking advantage of his good nature. And even when whatever hijinks he's gotten up to get inevitably explained and fixed by the end of the season his friends and family still give him poo poo. It's like the writers wanted to write a likable main character but couldn't think of a reason to make all the other characters hate him to manufacture drama so they just write every other character as an irrational fuckwit.

Similarly Rescue Me has the entire cast frequently forget all the great things Tommy Gavin has done for them over the course of the show whenever it's convenient to create drama for the plot. But he does have a few insane moments of total assholery, so it's not quite as odd.

But the more irrationally irritating thing is Tommy Gavin's friends and family constantly talk about how he's allegedly a raging alcoholic but he generally just sips his whiskey and goes about his day and it took six goddamn seasons for him to actually go on any kind of alcohol fueled bender. And by the time that finally happened, instead of appearing as a symptom of his alcoholism it comes off as him having to deal with his friends badgering him about his "problem" for six years until he finally got sick of it and decided he may as well actually go off on a whiskey fueled rage since he was going to get treated like he was having one regardless.

The majority of the show is about Tommy Gavin battling a mostly non-existent alcohol problem for six solid years until his lovely friends actually drive him to develop a real alcohol problem.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Aug 17, 2015

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

So I watched Unfriended the other day and was most irritated that the main character waved her mouse over a link four or five times before clicking it. This to me is like having a character rattle a door handle over and over again to signal to the audience they're about to open the door and walk through. We know what the link says, we know she's going to click on it, just loving click on it!

Also, The fat kid who managed to get his hand in a blender so loving fast.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Dr Scoofles posted:

So I watched Unfriended the other day and was most irritated that the main character waved her mouse over a link four or five times before clicking it. This to me is like having a character rattle a door handle over and over again to signal to the audience they're about to open the door and walk through. We know what the link says, we know she's going to click on it, just loving click on it!

Also, The fat kid who managed to get his hand in a blender so loving fast.

How long did it take them to 3-d print a gun?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Esroc posted:

In Californication about 90% of the plot over the course of seven seasons is about David Duchovny's friends and family acting like he's a terrible person and demanding he get his act together. Except his character is specifically written as a stand up guy who is loyal to a fault, well aware of right and wrong and strives to do right even if he comes up short, and is generally a pretty drat good guy.

He does get into some outlandish "whacky" situations that look bad on paper, but are for the most part very clearly not his fault and are either terrible misunderstandings or the results of someone else taking advantage of his good nature. And even when whatever hijinks he's gotten up to get inevitably explained and fixed by the end of the season his friends and family still give him poo poo. It's like the writers wanted to write a likable main character but couldn't think of a reason to make all the other characters hate him to manufacture drama so they just write every other character as an irrational fuckwit.

loving thank you. From episode one his ex-girlfriend treats him like a piece of poo poo and then you find out she cheated on him with her current boyfriend. So why has she been treating him like that? Because he never ''manned up'' and ask her to marry him or some poo poo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oldpainless posted:

In fast five vince dies and tells Dom that h (Vince)e has a son named nico. Then with his dying breath he says we named him after you(Dom). A 3 second pause and Vince says "Dominic." Im pretty loving sure if Vince and Dom are close enough to name kids after each other you don't need to tell him his full ficking name to figure it out. It's not like Dom looked confused until Vince reminded him that his full name is Dominic and nico was pulled from it. Holy poo poo its pissing me off just thinking about it.

Hahaha

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Esroc posted:

This is pretty much exactly what happens on Curb your enthusiasm too, except there it works because its Larry David.

But overall this happens a lot in fiction and it usually drives me crazy. JUST EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED! :v: Its such a frustrating and lazy plot point when one person just won't like, explain themselves, causing tons of unnecessary drama.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Zaphod42 posted:

But overall this happens a lot in fiction and it usually drives me crazy. JUST EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED! :v: Its such a frustrating and lazy plot point when one person just won't like, explain themselves, causing tons of unnecessary drama.

Writers suffer from "Nice Guy" syndrome and write their Mary Sue's.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Dr Scoofles posted:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Saw Predestination on SyFy and it felt like a series premiere, at least that's what I was hoping it was because it set things up real well to be one.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Saw Predestination on SyFy and it felt like a series premiere, at least that's what I was hoping it was because it set things up real well to be one.

Syfy showed something good?

They best not pollute it with a series though. It stands on its own.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Celery Face posted:

Bent (it's about gay men during the Holocaust) has a lot of problems but the part in it that bugged me the most was when the main character's boyfriend whines that he can't escape Berlin because he'll miss his dance classes. This is right when the Night Of The Long Knives is going on and they just saw a gay man have his throat slit by some nazis. :psyboom:

We watched this in class once, and everyone had the same comment. The teacher mentioned that in times of high stress, people's minds sometimes latch onto something stupid to keep you from really seeing what you saw. IE, bitching about your classes after Mick Jagger has just mentioned they'll kill every gay guy they find and another guy getting his throat slit. Said boyfriend, if I remember right, also bitches out some Nazis for breaking his glasses.

Armed Nazis. Who either beat him to death or shoot him when he whines that he can't see without his glasses.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

We watched this in class once, and everyone had the same comment. The teacher mentioned that in times of high stress, people's minds sometimes latch onto something stupid to keep you from really seeing what you saw. IE, bitching about your classes after Mick Jagger has just mentioned they'll kill every gay guy they find and another guy getting his throat slit. Said boyfriend, if I remember right, also bitches out some Nazis for breaking his glasses.

Armed Nazis. Who either beat him to death or shoot him when he whines that he can't see without his glasses.
My memory's kinda vague but I think they made his boyfriend beat him to death. (I find it amusing that their names are Max and Rudy)

There's another scene where Max meets Ian McKellen in a public park to discuss getting papers to flee Germany. Why would they talk about that in public? Anyone could walk by and arrest/report them.

Edit: Oh wow, the guy who got his throat slit was played by Jamie Lannister.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 01:24 on Aug 18, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Esroc posted:

Rescue Me

The thing dragging down Rescue Me for me is that one of the actors is a 9/11 truther, to the point where he narrated a truther documentary, and they let his character more or less uncritically go on a spiel about how 9/11 was an inside job.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I only watched the first season and a half of Californication but my irrationally completely rationally irritating movie moment was how every female character was a one dimensional conniving whore bitch

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I only watched the first season and a half of Californication but my irrationally completely rationally irritating movie moment was how every female character was a one dimensional conniving whore bitch

That's consistent for the entire series.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I couldn't even get through one season because Hank just annoyed the poo poo out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zaphod42 posted:

This is pretty much exactly what happens on Curb your enthusiasm too, except there it works because its Larry David.

I believe Jerry Seinfeld always wanted to do an episode of Seinfeld where they just constantly run into stereotypical sitcom shenanigans but effortlessly get out of them by just calmly explaining to the other characters that it's all a misunderstanding.