Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

buzmeg posted:

Souma just proved he's better. And took it to him in his own domain. Even if Souma gets beaten now, it doesn't matter.

No, he just took advantage of his 10 years of actual restaurant experience to figure out how to exploit the fact that Kuga's stand was going to have lines around the block as well as rude as poo poo to customers and offer a fun and exciting alternative that drew in crowds. It's less about "cooking" then it is about how to actually run a successful restaurant which seems to be completely ignored in the school as everything is determined by single cooking competitions.

In a straight up cook-off Souma still has some serious disadvantages to overcome, but like the other rising stars of the 1st year he has years of practical business experience which is 100x more valuable in the real world in order to succeed. As great as Erina's tongue is, if she tried to run a restaurant where she had to taste literally everything before it could go out and treated her employees like subhuman scum she'd probably fail within 6 months.

Shinomiya is a good example, he was an elite 10, but hosed up hard at the start trying to set up his business from a culture clash, and even after he succeeded he stagnated hard and couldn't find a way forward until he was challenged by Souma and outed to his peers.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It looks kinda dumb for the top cooking school in the world or whatever to have such a flagrant flaw in its training program that even its top graduates are woefully unprepared for the real world. You'd think that kind of issue would be resolved within one generation of graduating classes. Then again that might tie into their culinary darwinism thing they got going on.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The current actual top cooking schools in the real world position you really well to: Land a stage as a line cook somewhere very nice (if you're lucky) or get an entry level management job in a hotel/corporate gig.

So anime cooking school positioning you as able to be a head chef at all, let alone an owner-chef, is pretty badass in my mind. So I'm pretty ok with every super-grad not instantly being hyper competent in the "real world".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is basically up to the line where "it's a manga" comes into play really.

The premise of the school itself is hilarious; a cooking academy with resources apparently on par with that of a top-ranked STEM university, a campus that technically should encompass an entire town, a 90% failure rate, that allows for free direct competition between students that can result in expulsion.

Yet somehow it doesn't appear that it has produced anyone who can run a three Michelin Star restaurant... as meaningless as those are.

Seems kinda early for Souma to get a real shot at the Elite 10 however; I can't imagine he'll get his chance, or especially win and enter the Elite 10.

pentyne posted:

As great as Erina's tongue is, if she tried to run a restaurant where she had to taste literally everything before it could go out and treated her employees like subhuman scum she'd probably fail within 6 months.
As for Erina I kinda will always hate her because I think she's a lovely character and no amount of characterization or character arc will make her tolerable, but she's an outlier since they haven't really done much with her outside of (thankfully) making her soften a bit. Yeah, she's been under so much pressure from the time she was a kid she's emotionally/socially retarded and she pines for Souma's dad as a surrogate father figure. We loving get it Tsukuda. Jesus.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

pentyne posted:

No, he just took advantage of his 10 years of actual restaurant experience to figure out how to exploit the fact that Kuga's stand was going to have lines around the block as well as rude as poo poo to customers and offer a fun and exciting alternative that drew in crowds. It's less about "cooking" then it is about how to actually run a successful restaurant which seems to be completely ignored in the school as everything is determined by single cooking competitions.

In a straight up cook-off Souma still has some serious disadvantages to overcome, but like the other rising stars of the 1st year he has years of practical business experience which is 100x more valuable in the real world in order to succeed. As great as Erina's tongue is, if she tried to run a restaurant where she had to taste literally everything before it could go out and treated her employees like subhuman scum she'd probably fail within 6 months.

Shinomiya is a good example, he was an elite 10, but hosed up hard at the start trying to set up his business from a culture clash, and even after he succeeded he stagnated hard and couldn't find a way forward until he was challenged by Souma and outed to his peers.

Eh, Erina is probably just as good as everyone else at running a restaurant. The only person and I mean the only person she treated like Inhuman scum during the Stagidare period, was the rear end in a top hat chef complaining about having students. And not using said students knowledge to help him. She completely shut down the rear end in a top hat chef when he was going to prevent Megumi from making a recommendation.

She could have reacted a bit better to being asked to wash dishes, but she's not a drat idiot, she knows what the purpose of this thing is. And in order for her and her talent to be useful she has to be near where actual food is being created. She never had to taste everything all the time, she tasted something once and was able to improve the creation of the food by changing their processes making them more efficient and better tasting.

People seem to really really hate Erina for some reason. When like every single competing character in the series besides like Megumi is just as much of an cocky rear end as she is. She just like hyper overcompensates for Souma because Tsundere.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Erina has been inconsistent, underdeveloped, and is in direct comparison with Alice who is the best girl. Of course people hate her.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Trihugger posted:

Erina has been inconsistent, underdeveloped, and is in direct comparison with Alice who is the best girl. Of course people hate her.

Along with this, it's her specific type of arrogance that rubs me the wrong way. She's a stuck up aristocrat that thinks she better than everyone else because of her inborn gifts ("God's Tongue") and high status. While there are other arrogant characters (Soma especially), their arrogance is at least grounded in their skills.

Also, she's a sterotypical tsundere and I loving hate that type of character.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dexo posted:

She completely shut down the rear end in a top hat chef when he was going to prevent Megumi from making a recommendation.

That chef was only a raging rear end in a top hat because Erina came in, told him to gently caress off, and took over and did a better job while being smug as gently caress about it. As far as he was concerned Megumi was the only acceptable target for his rage and even then Erina again overrode him to put him in his place. Also, Erina see-saws between "Let's hear a reasonable opinion and discuss it" and "How dare you breathe the same air as me get on the ground and beg for my help like the talentless hack you are". Don't forget, the entire first 20-25 chapters where her attempting to send people after Souma to destroy him in a Shokugeki and giving them carte blanche as far as resources and money went, then tearing it all away and kicking them to the curb when it failed. All this because one individual challenged her worldview of food.

Oh, but we see glimpses of her trying to be a normal girl but then an encounter with Souma sends her into a fiery rage which lasts days. It's no wonder Hisako self-exiled herself after losing because literally everything about Erina has been "either suceed 100% or fail once and gtfo" and Erina's melodramatic moments of "I wish I had normal friends" is undercut by literally everything else she's shown to the people around her.

We all know that Erina's eventually development is going to "reluctantly" side with Souma and co. but insist she still dislikes him and is only helping for the honor of the other 1st years or whatever, and blush horribly every time he praises her and insist his opinion is meaningless. It's a garbage loving character type usually done with a bit more subtly and nuance but the author has instead just gone full retard by making Erina a completely one dimensional character with no redeeming qualities that we're supposed to see as a future love interest and root for.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 16, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

pentyne posted:

It's a garbage loving character type usually done with a bit more subtly and nuance but the author has instead just gone full retard by making Erina a completely one dimensional character with no redeeming qualities that we're supposed to see as a future love interest and root for.

Here's the fun part: it still works :unsmigghh:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Not too sure about that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Here's the fun part: it still works :unsmigghh:

The Japanese love uppity rich blond girls who secretly want the humble Japanese protagonists' d.

Kinda feel like there's something deeper going on with that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Eej posted:

Not too sure about that.

I've seen the comment sections.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

I've seen the comment sections.

It's definately not the heyday of that trope anymore. Now its been replaced by the "omg my sister loves me/I love her and she's not my real sister/is my real sister/we're in a video game" or something like that.

All I know is SAO was allegedly the best thing in years then suddenly incest showed up midway into the season and 1/2 the fanbase dropped it right away.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 16, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

pentyne posted:

It's definately not the heyday of that trope anymore. Now its been replaced by the "omg my sister loves me/I love her and she's not my real sister/is my real sister/we're in a video game" or something like that.

All I know is SAO was the best thing in years then suddenly incest showed up midway into the season and 1/2 the fanbase dropped it right away.

I thought they dropped it because of the rape sub-plot.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i thought most of the people inclined to watch it in the first place kept watching and enjoying it about as much, it was mostly just goons who got annoyed by it and assumed everyone felt the same.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

pentyne posted:

That chef was only a raging rear end in a top hat because Erina came in, told him to gently caress off, and took over and did a better job while being smug as gently caress about it. As far as he was concerned Megumi was the only acceptable target for his rage and even then Erina again overrode him to put him in his place. Also, Erina see-saws between "Let's hear a reasonable opinion and discuss it" and "How dare you breathe the same air as me get on the ground and beg for my help like the talentless hack you are". Don't forget, the entire first 20-25 chapters where her attempting to send people after Souma to destroy him in a Shokugeki and giving them carte blanche as far as resources and money went, then tearing it all away and kicking them to the curb when it failed. All this because one individual challenged her worldview of food.

Wasn't he giving them insignificant positions from the get-go, before they'd even done anything? Like sure, if you're just out of school it makes sense to start from the bottom but since the whole point of Stagiare week is to make a noticeable improvement to the restaurant or be expelled, I don't think it is completely unwarranted to want to be in a position where she can make change to the restaurant.

And really she didn't send anyone after Souma at all, he challenged Ikumi to save the don club or whatever himself. You could say that she was shown to crush other students and steal their resources if she thought their clubs were useless or whatever (which is kind of incredibly awful of her) but she never targeted Soma. Outside of constantly insulting him and saying he'll totally get expelled everytime that topic is brought up because she's a ridiculously sore loser.

Like geez, Erina is pretty much my least favourite character in the manga but a bunch of people's complaints about her are seemingly just created out of thin air. She is awfully boring, it took her like half the series to have any meaningful interactions with a character, she has a huge goddamn ego and not even in a fun or entertaining way like everyone else, her main character trait is just that she's a tsundere ice queen and she's ridiculously generic. She doesn't need extra faults made up for her to be a bad character.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Fabricated posted:

Yet somehow it doesn't appear that it has produced anyone who can run a three Michelin Star restaurant... as meaningless as those are.

I don't think they ever implied that. If you're talking about Shinomiya's goal, it's to be the first Japanese person to get a Three Star restaurant in France, which is rather more specific.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Every other comment on Crunchyroll for Danmachi is about how terrible SAO is in comparison. It wasn't just goons that complained about the show.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Neo_Crimson posted:

Along with this, it's her specific type of arrogance that rubs me the wrong way. She's a stuck up aristocrat that thinks she better than everyone else because of her inborn gifts ("God's Tongue") and high status. While there are other arrogant characters (Soma especially), their arrogance is at least grounded in their skills.

The funny thing here is that she's at the very least as skilled as the others. The ability to identify mistakes in the process from taste alone is not an inborn gift, and let us remember she cleared the camp challenges fastest and well beyond the minimum required.
It's like bitching about Hayama boasting about his nose. It's pretty much the same concept.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

pentyne posted:

It's no wonder Hisako self-exiled herself after losing because literally everything about Erina has been "either suceed 100% or fail once and gtfo"

This, at least, is a part of her character that makes sense, considering her abilities and the environment she grew up in. It doesn't make her likeable mind you, but it is a plausible part of her character.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

paragon1 posted:

This, at least, is a part of her character that makes sense, considering her abilities and the environment she grew up in. It doesn't make her likeable mind you, but it is a plausible part of her character.

Yup. Erina is actually a decent character, and mostly consistent. She's inferior to Alice and many others, obviously, but otherwise fine.

Her biggest character flaw, is her grudge against Soma. Buuuut that's you know.... Tsundere love interest. She has to be stuck with that an unable to stop being stupid about it and move on. It's rather detrimental to her. Also, she's a teenager. Some stupid crap like that is believable.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Erina's probably fine, but the giant stretch at the beginning where we don't get to see any of her character aside from "Tsundere and will inevitably be the love interest" and it doesn't help that the anime is currently knee deep in that part of her, uh, arc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm not sure what about Erina can be described as "good" or "interesting". I've kinda not liked a single panel she appeared in from the start of the manga and I'm usually relieved when she's so high above everything as to not have to prominently feature in an arc. Like I don't even care about whatever connection Souma's dad has to her. Maybe her parents got AIDS and he cooked for them or something idgaf

Like Mimasaka had a whole arc to making him an utterly detestable weirdo who gets raging hardons utterly humiliating and demoralizing people, who steals mementos of dead relatives and "looks down" on cooking and I was glad to see him come back

edit: also the whole thing where if the cliche is true the normally almost asexual Souma will end up with her, instead of my fantasy ending where a bitter chef she destroyed poisons her food with strychnine and she dies excoriating the dude for overseasoning the food with it when a smaller dose would've worked fine with the theme of the dish

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 17, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wasn't he giving them insignificant positions from the get-go, before they'd even done anything? Like sure, if you're just out of school it makes sense to start from the bottom but since the whole point of Stagiare week is to make a noticeable improvement to the restaurant or be expelled, I don't think it is completely unwarranted to want to be in a position where she can make change to the restaurant.

And really she didn't send anyone after Souma at all, he challenged Ikumi to save the don club or whatever himself. You could say that she was shown to crush other students and steal their resources if she thought their clubs were useless or whatever (which is kind of incredibly awful of her) but she never targeted Soma. Outside of constantly insulting him and saying he'll totally get expelled everytime that topic is brought up because she's a ridiculously sore loser.

Like geez, Erina is pretty much my least favourite character in the manga but a bunch of people's complaints about her are seemingly just created out of thin air. She is awfully boring, it took her like half the series to have any meaningful interactions with a character, she has a huge goddamn ego and not even in a fun or entertaining way like everyone else, her main character trait is just that she's a tsundere ice queen and she's ridiculously generic. She doesn't need extra faults made up for her to be a bad character.

This pretty much puts it perfectly.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
And actually sending anyone after him would require effort on her part which means she's acknowledging Souma's a threat. Erina's mostly been sitting back, fully expecting him to fail because of the monumental challenges presented by the school's curriculum.

She's not my favorite and she's not utilized well in the story, but she's not the taint of Satan.

Fabricated posted:

edit: also the whole thing where if the cliche is true the normally almost asexual Souma will end up with her, instead of my fantasy ending where a bitter chef she destroyed poisons her food with strychnine and she dies excoriating the dude for overseasoning the food with it when a smaller dose would've worked fine with the theme of the dish

:yikes:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

:greenangel:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Also, she's a sterotypical tsundere and I loving hate that type of character.

This is one of those complaints which might be valid in a different context but in this manga doesn't really make sense to me. The thing is, practically every E10-quality character is an egotistical rear end in a top hat, including Soma. Erina's "I'M THE BEST" personality is pretty much par for the course for these types of characters, e.g. Shinomiya, Eizan, Yugioh, etc. Soma himself does this all the time.

If this was a regular school and she was getting away with being a giant douchebag to everyone, okay, that's one thing. This school actively encourages you to be like this (and rear end in a top hat head chef isn't a Japanese-centric trope to begin with). It sounds lovely when you say she's targeting clubs she thinks suck and taking it away from them, but such a policy is more or less in line with the Totsuki mission and really, she hasn't been shown expelling people for basically no reason the way Shinomiya did at the training camp.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 17, 2015

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
As someone who has only watched the anime, Erina seems to be portraid as a hypocritical mess of a person who sole talent is her taste which you first see her lying about to gently caress over the protaganist for really no reason. If he hadn't had connections to get back into school, her little lie could have potentially hosed him over again for no good reason. It is then shown that she's a dick to other groups for again pretty much selfish reasons and throws an illogical tantrum when things don't go her way while trying to put on an air of bored professionalism. When called out on it by her peers recently, she was left speechless because even she is starting to realize what a horrible human being she is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, supposedly she's actually good at cooking, we just never really see it directly since Souma's not leveled up enough to fight her yet.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Clarste posted:

Well, supposedly she's actually good at cooking, we just never really see it directly since Souma's not leveled up enough to fight her yet.

This too, we've seen her cook exactly once and she made Eggs Benedict. For how much she has a stick up her rear end about "gourmet" food you'd think she'd come up with something a little less pedestrian.

All said and done though, I think she's annoying and poorly written, but hardly irredeemable. I do like it when she is being genuinely reasonable or a huge sheltered dork.

And I certainly don't hate her enough to make up some revenge fanfic ending where she dies. :v:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

e: ^^^ :argh: ^^^

Clarste posted:

Except the eggs benedict from the breakfast challenge at the hotel.

Can't think of any other instances.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

she did a ravioli in chapter 9 to own the meat dude

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Davincie posted:

she did a ravioli in chapter 9 to own the meat dude

That was to beat the sumo guy, but yeah.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
She also finished cooking 50 meals during the training camp before any of the first years, but that's just an informed event I guess.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't know why Erina's skill is being questioned when she succeeds at everything she does. I guess people just don't notice since she honestly doesn't do much, but everytime she's shown doing a challenge or whatever she passes with flying colours. Not just Breakfast challenge, but every other cooking camp class, stagiare week, and this festival as well. She just never gets much focus at these times other than people going "Wow. She's finished already. Amazing!". Because she's pretty much being set up as the final boss of the first years, and that no-one's on her level.

Too bad that despite being skilled she's awfully boring and lame and the tournament arc which took like 50 chapters did not include her doing anything pretty much by design.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I'm just waiting for the moment where Soma gets Erina to taste-test a dish for him and he ends up making the dish that his dad made for her when she was little, and then you see her literally orgasm and gush her panties while Soma-Angels molest every part of her body,.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
She would then say it sucked and to get out of her face with that weak poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the gently caress.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Eddain posted:

I'm just waiting for the moment where Soma gets Erina to taste-test a dish for him and he ends up making the dish that his dad made for her when she was little, and then you see her literally orgasm and gush her panties while Soma-Angels molest every part of her body,.

This manga hasn't had a lot of sexy food tasting panels for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's better for it, honestly.