Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

What a fucker D:

Yeah. And we had two hours left before we had to leave to catch our flight. When we called today, the response was "I don't know who you were talking to but of course we were closed", in that way that meant they probably didn't believe we had called (we had multiple times over the course of a month or so to keep checking, and I left a FB message they liked)

So we are in UK and the poor birds are still in the apartment. Long story short: a friend of my partner is dropping in on birds in the morning and evenings, and will be the one to transport them along with the dude who drives the van. The friend came over in that tiny time we had left and got a super fast crash course in handling the birds, overview of everything, etc and I left a billion sheets of notes everywhere but I'm still really nervous because its awkward enough with two owners moving them, let alone one inexperienced dude. Who did have an Amazon but it died and I don't know any more than that which just makes it more ominous lol. The move will be tomorrow sometime, whenever he can arrange it. It's fukkin' terrifying :ohdear:

E: new page but iPad posting otherwise I'd post the sadly adorable photos of the birds all packed up and looking abandoned on the stairs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Jesus :stare:

Like traveling isn't enough of a pain in the rear end and now you have to worry about the birbs too.

(I do bet the abandoned-on-the-stairs birds were pathetic and cute though)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Poor Max is sick. The culprit was probably mold, which was found growing in the room's air conditioner. (It got thrown out and replaced immediately.) Hope he can get it out of his system.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

That gif is the saddest thing I have seen recently :( I really hope Max recovers

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I hope your flying T-Rex gets better soon Mizuti and I'm sure your birds will be fine Battle Pigeon. Steve probably won't even remember!

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
Oh no!! :( I hope Max gets better. He's such a wonderful little guy.

In lighter news, I just did a google image search for "baby galah" on a whim and now I'm losing my mind over how cute they are.

I can just hear them going WEHH! like Charlie :3:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 16, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That bottom one is pure evil.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That gif is the saddest thing I have seen recently :( I really hope Max recovers

Yeah same, he is a great bird

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Oh no!! :( I hope Max gets better. He's such a wonderful little guy.

In lighter news, I just did a google image search for "baby galah" on a whim and now I'm losing my mind over how cute they are.

I can just hear them going WEHH! like Charlie :3:

until you hear the loving things all day during spring and summer

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Conure people, where do your birds sleep? Mine has been sleeping in the bottom of his cage in the corners. If he gets sleepy, he heads over there. Is that normal?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Sounds like he might be unwell. No bird that lives in tress likes to be on the ground.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah if that's new behavior get it checked out ASAP.

If he's been doing it for months... he's just a weirdo.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Oh no!!! He's been fine otherwise, bathing and clambering and screaming and eating. I just thought he liked to hide there and try and peek out of his cover :ohdear:

I don't know how long he's been doing it (at least a few weeks), he usually is up before me but I've been trying to turn the lights off earlier so I'd come over and see he'd tucked himself over there. He doesn't hang out there any other time, he's usually upside down or swinging.

I'll go get him checked out, it couldn't hurt

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shirec posted:

Oh no!!! He's been fine otherwise, bathing and clambering and screaming and eating. I just thought he liked to hide there and try and peek out of his cover :ohdear:

Oh, is there a peephole in that corner? This was undisclosed information. :colbert: If he's been doing it for a while he's probably just being a dork. But yes in many circumstances an ill bird will just tuck itself into a corner of its cage, so get him checked out to be safe.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko (GCC) sleeps on the floor under the paper towels. He used to hang in a corner but one day decided the floor was better and stayed there ever since.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

Poor Max is sick. The culprit was probably mold, which was found growing in the room's air conditioner. (It got thrown out and replaced immediately.) Hope he can get it out of his system.
Aw no :( Poor guy, I hope he gets better fast.

They look like dustbunnies that are made of cotton candy :allears:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I hope your flying T-Rex gets better soon Mizuti

Oh, I'm just a fan of Max's, not an actual birb owner. And apparently Max and his dad cuddle like that often. (It's always amazing to see a bird trust their human that much. :3:)

I swear, galahs look like an animal that was deliberately designed to appeal to little girls. Rosy pink color with light pink crests! Cute chubby faces! Puffy feathers! If I knew about them when I was young, I would have been spellbound. Of course, as a parrot, their behavior isn't all rainbows and unicorns. They seem uncommon as pets.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mizuti posted:

Oh, I'm just a fan of Max's, not an actual birb owner. And apparently Max and his dad cuddle like that often. (It's always amazing to see a bird trust their human that much. :3:)

I swear, galahs look like an animal that was deliberately designed to appeal to little girls. Rosy pink color with light pink crests! Cute chubby faces! Puffy feathers! If I knew about them when I was young, I would have been spellbound. Of course, as a parrot, their behavior isn't all rainbows and unicorns. They seem uncommon as pets.

they appeal to grown men too because they're adorable and have big poofs

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Mizuti posted:

Galahs are pretty common as pets in Australia.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Mizuti posted:

Galahs are the pet 'too in Germany! I've even seen them in a pet store (the ones I saw were well-cared-for, with lots of space and toys, don't worry). When I went looking for cockatoos a few months back, when I decided I was crazy enough for a 'too, I mostly found people offering Galahs and almost no umbrellas or sulphur-cresteds (and forget Moluccans and such).

Galahs are my second-favourite 'toos, after Moluccans. :3: Honestly, if I keep being crazy, I might wait a couple of years and get a Moluccan or a Galah after all, instead of getting a conure in the short term. They're just irresistible!

Plus I'm a crazy housebound nerd with no social skills, I'm pretty sure I can provide the time/attention/emotional energy required for a 'too.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Huh, must be an American thing, then. Silly me, of course different countries have different aviculture scenes!

Galahs aren't just for little girls, of course. It's hard to resist an animal that fluffy and colorful and excitable.

WEEEHHH
WEEEHHH
...squawk!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Mizuti posted:

Huh, must be an American thing, then. Silly me, of course different countries have different aviculture scenes!

Galahs aren't just for little girls, of course. It's hard to resist an animal that fluffy and colorful and excitable.

WEEEHHH
WEEEHHH
...squawk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abgBM_jecSE

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Its probably because they are native here that they are more common as pets. I'd be very surprised to find out Rainbow Lorikeets existed much in America too.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, tonnes of people I knew growing up, and lots of bird owners I know now I'm an adult, have or have had galahs. They're pretty dense (for parrots)/lazy/not scared of humans so they get hit by cars a lot and, well, if you nurse an adorable fluffy pink squawky bird back to health, and it really loves you, and it's sooooo cuuuuute, you may as well hang on to it! A lot of them just kind of adopt people as well, because of the not-being-afraid of humans thing and being very greedy. They are also very fast at picking up speech. And you can't just release a bird that has learnt to say "Hello! Whatcha doin?" back into the wild!

Lorikeets are fairly common too, though not quite as ubiquitous (in my experience at least) as galahs and sulphur-crested cockies. Pet shops will mostly sell budgies, cockatiels, finches, etc, but RSPCAs are where you look for tame native parrots.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If you guys really want a trip do a google search for galatiel

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Here is a Doritos ad some guy made with his Grey :3:

https://www.facebook.com/136451239866330/videos/316238368554282/?pnref=story

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

If you guys really want a trip do a google search for galatiel

They are just so stupid cute I can't handle it. Like words can't explain it. :kimchi:

Part of my search lead to a cockatiel enthusiast forum reacting to news of the first crossbreed ever, and they were upset about it. I didn't really understand what the problem was.. Is crossbreeding like that dangerous? As far as I know the lil potatoes did it on their own without human intervention, but I could be wrong.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Any suggestions for teaching :derptiel: to not eat my mouse pad? I don't want it destroyed and I don't think it's healthy either.

Should I just keep other things nearby that are acceptable to chew on, and present those as soon as she moves towards the mouse pad?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

nielsm posted:

Any suggestions for teaching :derptiel: to not eat my mouse pad? I don't want it destroyed and I don't think it's healthy either.

Should I just keep other things nearby that are acceptable to chew on, and present those as soon as she moves towards the mouse pad?

Yes.

Diversion is one of the best tactics I've found for behavior modification.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Yeah that's pretty much africangrey.mov

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

They are just so stupid cute I can't handle it. Like words can't explain it. :kimchi:

Part of my search lead to a cockatiel enthusiast forum reacting to news of the first crossbreed ever, and they were upset about it. I didn't really understand what the problem was.. Is crossbreeding like that dangerous? As far as I know the lil potatoes did it on their own without human intervention, but I could be wrong.

A lot of people don't like hybridization because it's mostly for monetary gain, and serves no real purpose to better the health of the animals(and can in fact sometimes be detrimental to their mental or physical health). In this case though, a hybrid happening on its own is pretty whatever. poo poo happens sometime.

In other news, I'm wigging out a little because Pie's poops have been lightish like... moss-green and loose for the past couple of hours. His poops this morning were normal and there's nothing he ate that could turn his poops any other colors or make it watery(just pellets and water) and I'm hoping it doesn't carry on to tomorrow or after he eats some veggies. I really sincerely don't have the money for vet trips right now, and my credit card hasn't been paid off yet so I can only charge llke $200 to it at most. This can just... happen sometimes, right? If it's normal by later or tomorrow he probably won't have some horrible kidney issue?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I wouldn't worry about it all if it's just a few hours. I mean, you should see MY poops. Every bowel movement is different.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Yeah, just keep an eye on him and watch out for any other signs of sickness.

Still tablet posting so hard to reply/write stuff but after the most confusing/infuriating method possible where the friend didn't contact us for most of it or, ah, bent the truth about some things birds are now all safe at the vet so all I have to worry about is whether they're bored or being left in the dark. Here's the photo from our attempt as reward for looking at my posts:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I can't stop laughing at the two nice, good quality travel cages for your conures and then, for the cockatiel, a cardboard box.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

What happened BP? Or did I miss something completely..

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can just about see Steve looking at Ohtori :3:

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

It's OK though, because this:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I can't stop laughing at the two nice, good quality travel cages for your conures and then, for the cockatiel, a cardboard box.

That's his original packaging, given to us by his first owner! They must have had him posted to them.

SaNChEzZ posted:

What happened BP? Or did I miss something completely..

We're in UK for a few weeks, birds were to be boarded at the vet, we went there (after calling and confirming repeatedly) and they were closed. Flight was in a few hours, no other flights soon, so we called around and one single person was able to help out. They've been really unreliable with contact and answering stuff but birds made it to the vet earlier today so it seems to have worked out? As far as we know.

I can just about see Steve looking at Ohtori :3:

And Inko at Steve, and Ohtori at us :3:

Wrecking Ball posted:

"Lizard"

Steve just paces from side to side staring sadly out of the bars the whole journey, with the occasional WHEOO of unhappiness

Edit: The vet sent a FB message saying something along the lines of "Thanks, they have already been whistling and chattering and giving us a lot of joy" :kimchi:

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 17, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wrecking Ball posted:

Lord, this is so Judah. The first time I ever took him to the vet here he was absolutely losing his poo poo to the point that the poor vet tech was afraid to towel him. So the vet flipped off the exam room light for about 5 seconds and it was like she hit the "calm the gently caress down" switch. Light goes on, he's momentarily like "wait, what the gently caress?" and boom, toweled and angry while his nails get clipped. So, basically, since this occurred to me as I was looking at them right now, this:

:derp:
:30bux::30bux:
:derptiel:
:getin:
:saddowns:

EDIT: You know, come to think of it, I can totally imagine cockatiels thinking in more or less the equivalent of SA smilies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Magpies playing the keyboard :kimchi:

https://www.facebook.com/kuscu.rize/videos/576732935740654/