Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
That's still funny as gently caress since IE is still the second most used browser out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

John Dyne posted:

That's still funny as gently caress since IE is still the second most used browser out there.

Only amongst casuals, cupcake.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kuai posted:

Pretty sure you could divide MMO stats into TOUGH HURT and HEAL at this point.

I'd prefer only having one stat, called MOXIE. The stat is responsible for everything. Higher is better.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

hobbesmaster posted:

Only amongst casuals, cupcake.

So the primary demographic of a free to play game?

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Libluini posted:

I'd prefer only having one stat, called MOXIE. The stat is responsible for everything. Higher is better.

No no, too intuitive.

Make it so that you need to get an even number or the effect is negatives :engleft:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Not enough stats. I demand 800 individual stats that regulate all you interactions with the world, from walking to pooping. My immersion depends on it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Do you think when free to play launches people will finally see warplots

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I doubt F2P will draw enough of the kind of people who'd want to queue for a warplot.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
My money's on warplots becoming a subscriber-only feature.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Schubalts posted:

My money's on warplots becoming a subscriber-only feature.

shouldn't the sub only feature be something that people actually want?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

didnt they reduce warplots to like 20 people or something

or was that just raids

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Deki posted:

You forget who the devs are, of course everyone wants warplots, because hardcore.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Deki posted:

Well so far the subscriber only feature is all of Wildstar and nobody seems to want that either.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

John Dyne posted:

I'm sure a majority of the users are businesses such as yours thst require it. Take them out and the numbers probably drops to 3rd. And I would hope people at work aren't trying to download wildstar. Hence no point in worrying about their website working for such a poo poo browser.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

John Dyne posted:

by confused grandmas

are you a confused grandma?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Anoia posted:

by confused grandmas

are you a confused grandma?

Confused grandmas and rear end in a top hat companies like Orifice Oracle who code their thin clients for IE and don't test/support poo poo otherwise. PS gently caress Oracle.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Morglon posted:

Well so far the subscriber only feature is all of Wildstar and nobody seems to want that either.

This is a quality post.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
holy crap you guys are still posting?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

ArtIsResistance posted:

holy crap you guys are still posting?

Worse than that some of us are still playing. RIP me.

I got the beta and I've given it a run and I do like some of the starting changes they've made. It looks cleaner and I think is better for new and returning players both.

First thing on making a new character you're presented with this screen:

The first one is pretty much the full, original Wildstar new character starting experience, where they ask you to move and jump and all that other poo poo so you know the buttons, and then proceeds through the second one, which is just the ship part without teaching you to move. The third one drops you right on to the planet in your race's suggested starting zone, at level 3.

They upgraded the race select screen and I think this looks better than it did; the old one had the characters standing static on the left of the screen and showing icons in the description for what classes you can be, without spelling out what those loving meant. Unlike other games where there's some dimorphism between the opposing faction's species, it didn't really explain that these were two opposing factions, and any related lore was shoved off to the right side of the screen in a tiny scrolling box. I like this a good bit better.

From there it gives you your dude on the left, a description of the class, and a small video showing what they can do; they already had the armor preview buttons in the old version, showing your starting gear, mid-game gear, and endgame gear, and I just want to highlight how the end game gear looks.

Engineer, Esper, and Medic on the top, left to right. Stalker, Spellslinger, and Warrior on the bottom, left to right. I think a lot of it is incredibly ugly and I don't know why the gunslinger wizard class has to have their midriff exposed.

The rest of the screens for character creation haven't changed too much, and the path selection looks like the class selection; a description and a video show to explain it. Soliders fight, explorers explore, scientists study, settlers make buffs. I didn't pick settler but I think they've improved it.

How muscular you are determines how big your shoulderpad is, I guess. Seems like a silly bug, but hey, this is Wildstar.

I think this is a new change, but like some other F2P MMOs you now get an item that containers level relevant gear, and the next level's gear stipend. I got a shirt and a pair of pants. The skull next to it is a costume hat I got, not sure why, but it's a bare skull with a miner's hat. The item below it is a piece of housing décor from a boom box. I was hoping it'd be shittier.

Like a lot of free games it has daily login rewards. Day one was a survival kit which I forgot to open, but day two is a pack of service tokens, which are one of the new currencies; you use them for character customization and other poo poo. I think the Wildstar website had a full list but gently caress looking it up.

aw yeah look at that selection of clarified and simplified stats, and it's only HALF THE LIST

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

If you see this screen at character creation and you keep going past this point, you kind of deserve what you get.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

There are popular threads about MMOs that goons play that look a lot worse and start off a lot worse.

Wildstar may never be a good game but it's gonna fit right into the F2P market and will offer more to a lot of people than many other games combined, if not only because of its player housing.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Flesh Forge posted:

If you see this screen at character creation and you keep going past this point, you kind of deserve what you get.

"Should we light up the characters so they can actually be seen?"

"Nah."

It's like they shot the thing in someone's basement.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Yeah it's like that until you click on either side, or one of the two faction buttons in the middle. Then they light up and you get the other side covered up with information about the selected faction. They at least try to convey some personality with the different races like this, instead of seeing the races one at a time and just standing there like 'I AM THIS RACE, HELLO.' They're also slightly animated, which helps with the whole personality thing. The chua wrings his hands and grins while glancing around, the granok male laughs and shakes his head and rolls his shoulder; basic stuff that says a bit about how the characters should typically act.

Though I don't know why the exile human chick is looking right at the loving camera. Also the Chua does not change at all between gender selections, and I think some of the characters just don't give off ANY personality, like the granok and drakken chicks and the drakken dude. They're just.. there.

e: The male exile looks sideways at the screen, too. I dunno what's up with that.

Also, taking another look, the female armors are exactly the same as the male, so no bikini armor mercifully.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 16, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

chua have no gender differentiation so thats why they wouldn't change if you chose a different one

does it not grey out the gender selection when you pick a chua or something?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Nope. You can click the gender button there before selecting a faction or race, so you can see what they all look in each gender. I think it makes sense, but yeah you can pick chua and hit male/female and it doesn't matter, cause the button globally changes the seven other models. I don't think they note that Chua are neither male nor female but I haven't made one so who knows.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think the game just tags Chua as male anyways because they couldn't come up with a female model in time :ssh:

Speaking of low effort stuff, looking at that screen made me realize Paths were a thing. Maybe the most half-baked idea in the game, which isn't surprising since it was supposed to be the casual content. Besides not bothering to balance the Path perks (some Paths got useful poo poo like group teleports or summoning a repair vendor...and Soldiers got a useless weapon drop), the content dried up almost immediately at cap. Once you finished the To-Do list for the final zones, that was it except the pittance of stuff they added to Blighthaven. This is a feature that was put on par with classes before launch.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
One lazy thing about Wildstar that I noticed was my male human character had an unique sprint animation but my friend's female human character's sprint was just a sped up version of their jog animation.

Did they ever get around to fixing that?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

John Dyne posted:

Also, taking another look, the female armors are exactly the same as the male, so no bikini armor mercifully.

Part of me wishes that Carbine would put the bikini armor in the cash shop just to watch the bitching and moaning. Nerds would be throwing a fit about having to pay money to make their characters look "decent."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

croutonZA posted:

Did they ever get around to fixing that?

This is Wildstar. What do you think? Not just to your specific question, but to any problems in general I mean.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the draken chick actually looks pretty cool, or at least looks cool next to the cross eyed cassian lady :downs:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Is there a mod for WS that I can toggle on/off with a keybind that will do some or all of the following:

1. Allow the camera to move as I move the mouse without holding down a button.
2. Bind my left click to my basic attack.
3. Bind right click to dodge.
4. Auto target the enemy in front of me or the first one that I hit or something.

Basically I am trying to make the game control more like TERA or Vindictus.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Lockdown and YetAnotherCombatMod should work for you. I think I settled on YetAnotherCombatMod after the Humble Bundle key. They're also supposed to be adding mouselook controls natively with the F2P update.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I keep forgetting people are actually playing this game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Loose Ifer posted:

I keep forgetting people are actually playing this game.

I'm not yet, but if I am going to give F2P a try for even a week I want this sort of mod. The original control scheme was completely awful in this half assed action combat system.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Libluini posted:

A year later they do a stat overhaul and replace MOXIE with GUMPTION.

Rorus Raz posted:

I think the game just tags Chua as male anyways because they couldn't come up with a female model in time :ssh:

Speaking of low effort stuff, looking at that screen made me realize Paths were a thing. Maybe the most half-baked idea in the game, which isn't surprising since it was supposed to be the casual content. Besides not bothering to balance the Path perks (some Paths got useful poo poo like group teleports or summoning a repair vendor...and Soldiers got a useless weapon drop), the content dried up almost immediately at cap. Once you finished the To-Do list for the final zones, that was it except the pittance of stuff they added to Blighthaven. This is a feature that was put on par with classes before launch.

I remember reading an interview many years before the game came out that made it soun like paths were going to be the one big thing that made Wildstar different.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

The Moon Monster posted:

A year later they do a stat overhaul and replace MOXIE with GUMPTION.

I remember reading an interview many years before the game came out that made it soun like paths were going to be the one big thing that made Wildstar different.

Oh yeah I remember there being a huge push that you could play the whole game as an explorer or whatever and never engage with combat encounters if you wanted. It was going to be a radical choice that dictated your experience. But that was hard so they didn't do that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd never actually play this and I don't understand people who would, but I am somewhat interested in how adapt to their brave new world.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

a harpy posted:

There are popular threads about MMOs that goons play that look a lot worse and start off a lot worse.

Wildstar may never be a good game but it's gonna fit right into the F2P market and will offer more to a lot of people than many other games combined, if not only because of its player housing.

If you want to play house there are better games for that. That focus solely on that.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I can't believe how ugly the endgame gear is, or that people would devote any amount of time to getting it.

With the costume system I guess you could just never let the actual crap show, but Christ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Anatharon posted:

I'd never actually play this and I don't understand people who would, but I am somewhat interested in how adapt to their brave new world.

For me, it will probably be the uninstall button after about a week or two. I am mostly interested to learn if the leveling experience is more enjoyable or not. I have no intentions to go through their end game as it currently stands.

• Locked thread