Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Stickarts actually has a similar build, strong net driving the rest of the game, except I think his forwards overall are def better in their own end (Helm is who I really wanted but he was gone a while ago) Though his defensemen are almost all stay at home guys and much more expensive.

Maybe it is just due to unfamiliarity of all these new player combos, but I feel like our fantasy league has way more parity than the irl nhl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Furnaceface step right up

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stickarts posted:

Skinner - Getzlaf - Eaves
Nelson - O'Reilly -
Sekac - Helm - Rantanen

M. Staal - Alzner
Orpik - Tyutin

Rinne

That defense might be worse than stab's group. When Rinne blows out his groin making 30+ saves every game you'll definitely have a top 5 pick.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Stickarts posted:

Maybe it is just due to unfamiliarity of all these new player combos, but I feel like our fantasy league has way more parity than the irl nhl.

For sure, as would the real NHL if the teams held a draft and everyone was willing to spend to the cap.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

Furnaceface step right up

How much time do I have? I'm going to be home in like 20 minutes and if possible I'd rather not phone pick but I will if it's too close.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

you got plenty of time

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Where do I get those HERO charts? H-R tells me Stepan has slightly positive relative Corsi/Fenwick numbers.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Where do I get those HERO charts? H-R tells me Stepan has slightly positive relative Corsi/Fenwick numbers.

http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

OK time to make my pick. Well as everyone should be aware Im really bad at picking forwards so its time to crack down and

Vervictus posted:

Sign the Subban

Rude. So as I was saying, the Blackhawks need a good defensive forward to make up for the dearth

Vervictus posted:

Sign the Subban

ANYWAYS I think its clear my selection for this round will be

Vervictus posted:

Sign the Subban

FINE! Chicago will take one Jordan Subban because forwards are overrated and D is for winners. Will he ever be as good as his big brother? No. He lacks the speed, footwork and the size to be as successful with being as aggressive as PK is on both offense and defense. So why take him this early? Well even with all that missing, he is still projecting to be a very good second pairing player with a great shot, good playmaking skills, and despite the size he is more than willing to stand up to larger players physically. With some time and mentoring from PK I expect his game to flush out well and establish himself on the team.

next up: mentholmoose

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
that's an interesting team you got there

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
OK, I really need a good defenseman, and the closest thing to that who can step in immediately, in my mind, is Braydon Coburn. His individual production isn't quite up where it used to be, but his possession numbers are pretty good, he can play on the PK, and he can play 20 minutes a game. He's got a well earned reputation as a smooth defensive defenseman, and that's something I desperately need.

e: Paulocaust is up.

Here are the Flyers:

Jakub Voracek - Henrik Sedin - Patrick Kane
Dylan Strome - Bryan Little - Jarome Iginla
? - Mikael Backlund - Cody Eakin

Sami Vatanen - Andrei Markov
Morgan Rielly - Braydon Coburn

Semyon Varlamov

Still no idea on the exact lines/pairings, but this is something like it.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Habibi posted:

For sure, as would the real NHL if the teams held a draft and everyone was willing to spend to the cap.

Yea, it makes sense. I guess I just find the truly averaged NHL team to be kind of underwhelming.

eXXon posted:

That defense might be worse than stab's group. When Rinne blows out his groin making 30+ saves every game you'll definitely have a top 5 pick.

Meh. They aren't world beaters, but they are all well-established and all play 20+ minutes a night for their real life teams. Orpik and Tyutin are a couple years away from the glue farm, but that don't mean poo poo.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tofes posted:

that's an interesting team you got there

Interesting and fun. :colbert:

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Give me Versteeg because I can't search the sheet. Also what's the deal with drafting UFAs?

Gaudreau-MacKinnon-Oshie
Marleau-Backes-Ryan
Versteeg-?-Palmieri

Myers-Phaneuf
?-Rundblad

Price

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

eXXon posted:

Why are you worried about my d when my offense will score 8 goals a game

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I've been laboring between three forwards for a little while. One is a declining but very good all-around player with some Cups, one is really young with incredible fancy stats, and one is a very good very fast third-liner. Argh this is hard. Young guy is out since I have four in my core already and I need to hit the cap and need some veteran support.

Alright, I'll shut up and make my pick.

The New Jersey Devils select Andrew Cogliano. I'm happy about this one and surprised he fell this far (I checked the spreadsheet again and again, he's available, right?) because he's super fast, great on the PK, and is a consistent 15-20-goal threat. So now, my team stands as:

Ennis-Stepan-Pominville
Hossa-Horvat-Jenner
Cogliano-Girgensons-Jaskin

Hedman-Tanev
McDonagh-de Haan

That third line can do some nice damage, IMO. I'll essentially have a 1A/1B situation with those top two lines, which are decent but will be overmatched offensively by better top sixes. Considering I went all in on defensemen, though, I think I've developed quite a respectable top nine.

Brodeurs Nanny fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 17, 2015

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Let's do C - Shawn Matthias because I think he's a pretty okay 3C type'a guy and Jim Benning is a retard.

Zetterberg - Backstrom - Abdelkader
Johansson - Fisher - Hagelin
xxxxxxx - Matthias - xxxxxxxx

Ekmman-Larsson - Kronwall
Hjalmarsson - Savard

Lack

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was confused to see a bunch of teams with no 3rd or even 2nd line LW/C passing on Cogliano.

Like he has been the best forward on the board for at least a full round now and I was going to take.him. and force him to play RW if he lasted.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 17, 2015

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

wow we get like 4 picks in 20 hours and then you guys go lightning round outta nowhere

i'll take Robert Bortuzzo as I know very little about him but his corsi and hero charts are both good so he's good enough to make my squad

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Paulocaust posted:

Give me Versteeg because I can't search the sheet. Also what's the deal with drafting UFAs?

Gaudreau-MacKinnon-Oshie
Marleau-Backes-Ryan
Versteeg-?-Palmieri

Myers-Phaneuf
?-Rundblad

Price

I like this team. You have enough youth + Price so you won't be hosed when your second line slows down. Your d is gonna be questionable but your forwards and Price will be good enough to make up for it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why did somebody pick Josh Ho-Sang three rounds ago?

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

since everyone else is doing it

Nash - Toews - Stone
Lee - Brassard - Grabovski
Bennett - Nielsen - Marner

Giordano - Boychuk
- Bortuzzo

MAF

i'm counting on the gio/boychuk pairing to play 30 minutes a night in a potential playoff series, but I feel like it has a nice mix of legitimate 2 way 25+ goal scorers and high end youth in marner/bennett who easily project to be top 6 players if not first liners in a few years

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

eXXon posted:

I think it was a panic phone post but then they also placed him on their first line so....

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ginette Reno posted:

I like this team. You have enough youth + Price so you won't be hosed when your second line slows down. Your d is gonna be questionable but your forwards and Price will be good enough to make up for it.

thank you. i am a smart man with lavish tastes

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also does the NHL property think apply to prospects or UFAs as well? Because there's a p good unsigned d-man I was thinking about taking and it won't be cool if he does sign until round 23 and some yokel gets him because they're the first team to pick after his deal is announced

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah everyone has him in mind

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

eXXon posted:

I didn't want Alex Burrows and I needed to pick a replacement quickly. Also it's totally not unheard of for a rookie to play on Jumbo's wing and do great.

Also I would have taken Cogliano if he played C or RW but he is either bad or can't

tofes fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 17, 2015

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

Also does the NHL property think apply to prospects or UFAs as well? Because there's a p good unsigned d-man I was thinking about taking and it won't be cool if he does sign until round 23 and some yokel gets him because they're the first team to pick after his deal is announced

I thought we were told it was OK as long as you knew the risks. VJeff and myself have both picked RFAs and someone (Verv?) has a UFA.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Plus if you ask JHS he'd say it's a steal by like 10 rounds at least

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Tremendous Taste posted:

Plus if you ask JHS he'd say it's a steal by like 10 rounds at least

He's a cool guy I like his attitude (also he's right and he's going to be real good in the NHL)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan Subban isn't even one of the Canucks top 5 prospects.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tofes posted:

He's a cool guy I like his attitude (also he's right and he's going to be real good in the NHL)

He will make a great duo with Kirill Kabanov and uh have the Isles ever drafted a talented but supposed headcase center?

Paulocaust posted:

Tremendous Taste already took Ehrhoff.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

He will make a great duo with Kirill Kabanov and uh have the Isles ever drafted a talented but supposed headcase center?

Tremendous Taste already took Ehrhoff.

The other soon to be high paid UFA that scores a lot of points but stinks on defence

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I was thinking of that d man as well but read the op before I picked and the rules specifically said they had to be property of an nhl team so I passed on it

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

The other soon to be high paid UFA that scores a lot of points but stinks on defence

If Ehrhoff has been taken don't you think that also means you can take Franson?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

tofes posted:

If Ehrhoff has been taken don't you think that also means you can take Franson?

The rules state otherwise so I thought maybe the guy that took ehrhoff was dumber than me

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

The rules state otherwise so I thought maybe the guy that took ehrhoff was dumber than me

I'm just saying I think that was exxon's point

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Does the same apply to coaches? Can we pick basically anyone employed by a professional team?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ehrhoff's clearly going to be in the NHL, I interpreted that as Kovalchuk insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
somehow i literally forgot this thing existed uh, ill catch up in a bit

• Locked thread