Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zelder posted:

I guess you're right, we should just give up the meanings of words because ignorant people are ignorant

I like the assertion that normal people see the term "ethnic cleansing" so often that we have to ration its usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Secret Service have begun monitoring all Brooks Brothers underwear sections for Jeb's protection.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zelder posted:

I guess you're right, we should just give up the meanings of words because ignorant people are ignorant

No, you softheaded twit, I'm saying that instead of quibbling over semantics, you actually loving say what's wrong with it and what's going to happen because of it. Don't say "Trump supports ethnic cleansing", that just gets you laughed at -- ethnic cleansing just for sending illegals back home? What a ridiculous idea! -- instead say, "Trump's immigration policy involves the deportation of millions and millions of people, which is not only an enormous undertaking and extremely expensive, it will also kill thousands and thousands of innocent children. Unless you want child blood on your hands, don't support Trump's immigration policy."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Any time you have to fall back on "Well the dictionary says..." you have automatically loving lost the argument, no matter if you were correct or not.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Zelder posted:

Use words that work- have some pragmatism for god's sake.

E: literally yes, in the political sphere you have to use words as they will be understood regardless of their actual meaning.

Apathetic Panda
Nov 14, 2005

This is how we roll.
For a Republican, I kind of like Kasich okay. Is there a reason why Trump would be better than him to cinch the Republican win - besides Trump being entertaining as hell.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Deporting illegals is not ethnic cleansing. I think it's a dumb policy but it's not ethnic cleansing. They would be removed from the country because they came illegally not because they are latino.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miltank posted:

Use words that work- have some pragmatism for god's sake.

I think ethnic cleansing would work just fine. Worked fine for explaining bombing the serbs after all.

If people don't get it just say the Nazis and Soviets did it, which they did. Problem solved.

cheesetriangles posted:

Deporting illegals is not ethnic cleansing. I think it's a dumb policy but it's not ethnic cleansing. They would be removed from the country because they came illegally not because they are latino.

He's not going to deport the dudes who overstayed their student visa from england, or Canadians who hopped borders. He's specifically using it to go after latinos.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

cheesetriangles posted:

Hahahahahahha right

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Nintendo Kid posted:

I think ethnic cleansing would work just fine. Worked fine for explaining bombing the serbs after all.

If people don't get it just say the Nazis and Soviets did it, which they did. Problem solved.

Except you are patently terrible at propaganda.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Miltank posted:

Except you are patently terrible at propaganda.

Well yes my control of East Germany did fail at the end, but that was like 25 years ago.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

What if you called Donald Trump's plan what it is: ethnic cleansing, and then explained how it fits that definition. You can both explain what is wrong with it and call it what it is.

It just reminds me of similar arguments about how we shouldn't call things racist, because that makes people defensive. Which I also think is a silly argument.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Nintendo Kid posted:

He's not going to deport the dudes who overstayed their student visa from england, or Canadians who hopped borders. He's specifically using it to go after latinos.

Why would Canadians come here

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

it really doesnt

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Now I kinda want an ice cream. She's right, it does make ya think!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zelder posted:

What if you called Donald Trump's plan what it is: ethnic cleansing, and then explained how it fits that definition. You can both explain what is wrong with it and call it what it is.

It just reminds me of similar arguments about how we shouldn't call things racist, because that makes people defensive. Which I also think is a silly argument.

That's why I brought up that you can truthfully say that Hitler and Stalin did it, which should be enough to get most people to oppose it. It's simple.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

There are dumb people in Canada too.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Canada's economy is on the brink of collapsing and the jobs here are much better

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

You know what would make this image even greater? a 3rd guy actually licking a dick the same way they lick that cone.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zelder posted:

You can think it's silly or not, that's your prerogative, whatever, man. If you directly explain what it does you'll be much more effective at convincing people than if you use a categorical term for it, because the latter just invites quibbling and semantic argument. The exact same poo poo applies for "racist", instead of directly getting to the point, people will happily entangle themselves in an endless quagmire of "Well, no, it's not really racist, because..."

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Trump of Tears 2016

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I don't think we're actually in disagreement.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

cheesetriangles posted:

Deporting illegals is not ethnic cleansing.
While we're on the topic of definitions, illegal is not a noun, please stop using it as such.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

cheesetriangles posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhutanese_refugees

using the excuse that people are illegal aliens doesnt make it not ethnic cleansing

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
The Leader of FREE REPUBLIC Jim Rob himself, just shat this out:

quote:

In response to George Will, Peter Wehner and the long list of GOPe pundits they reference who are trashing Trump today.

Trump wouldn’t stand a chance to run for president as a Republican had the traitors in the GOP not screwed over the voters. We voted conservatives in to de-fund if not repeal Obamacare and to stop Obama’s executive amnesty and to stop Obama and the democrats in general. What have they done? They screwed over the conservatives we voted in, declared war on the conservative voters, and gave Obama every damned thing he asked for.

Screw George Will! Screw Peter Wehner! Screw Bill Bennett, David Brooks, Mona Charen, Charles C.W. Cooke, Michael Gerson, Jonah Goldberg, Victor Davis Hanson, Charles Krauthammer, Matt Lewis, Rich Lowry, Michael Medved, Paul Mirengoff, Dana Perino, John Podhoretz, Karl Rove, Jennifer Rubin, Kevin Williamson and the entire lot of sniveling RINO wimps!!

You want to stop men like Trump? Then do your JOBS!!

Hint: It’s not putting up amnesty pimps like Jeb Bush!!

Dole, McCain, Romney, Jeb Bush? Get frickin real!!

Either put up conservatives who love America, love liberty, respect the constitution, are willing to do the tough job of securing the nation while rolling back the excesses or you can kiss it off and the GOP can die and rot in hell!!

We want rebels who fight not wimps who cave and kiss the left’s rear end.

This is war for the survival of America as a free nation and the left is winning it.

You refer to George Will, Karl Rove and Jennifer Rubin? Give me a freaking break!!

Screw the big government, cheap labor amnesty express GOPe ruling class RINOS!!

Trumple the corrupt, treasonous bastards!!

By the way, why are Jeb Bush and the other GOPe RINOs NOT running on a platform similar to Trump's, ie, to secure the borders, reform the tax system so we can fill out our tax returns on a postcard, cut the taxes so the rate on most working families will be 10% or less, cut the corporate tax to zero (we the consumers pay that tax anyway), cut the regulations, get rid of the EPA, cut the spending, cut the bureaucracy, cut the government, cut the debt, cut the crap, make our government smaller but sharper and smarter, deport the illegals and their anchor babies, strengthen the military, bring capital and jobs back to America and make America great again?

Trump is sounding more like a Republican every day while Jeb Bush et al are sounding more like democrats.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3325449/posts#comment

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

blue squares posted:

A lot of those people would wind up dead because of the policy.

yeah that's my point. The people who are like, "We're not KILLING them, just sending them back home!" are just closing their eyes to the reality that they have no home to go back to.

They think it's just fine because oh, we're just shooing them out the door, not HURTING them. Meanwhile outside the door is loving horrible.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Beautiful.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Apathetic Panda posted:

For a Republican, I kind of like Kasich okay. Is there a reason why Trump would be better than him to cinch the Republican win - besides Trump being entertaining as hell.

Kasich can't poo poo all over Republican ideology and get a standing ovations, Trump can. As a result when Kasich helps the poor that is a mark against him, while Donal Trump can go far beyond expanding Medicare by calling for Universal Health care and get applause.

Also Kasich's only hope is to be the establishment choice, which is currently split between Jeb!, Walker, Rubio, and Christie. As he's also got the least millionare/billionaire sugar daddy backing he's pretty hosed. The only reason he beat out Perry to avoid the Kiddie Table debate is that he timed his announcement perfectly to take advantage of his polling bump. We are at most weeks away from him polling alongside Pataki and Gilmore.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Zelder posted:

Because, if you ask me, as soon as you use the phrase ethnic cleansing to describe Trump's immigration policy, you've established that you're probably the kind of person who will start spitting perfectly good words at me in the style of completely meaningless and intentionally irritating buzzwords and I am much less inclined to listen to you.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I guess the religious right really liked that "tithing" answer.

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

Lycus posted:

I guess the religious right really liked that "tithing" answer.

Can someone explain carson's tithing plan to me?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I hope we get rid of the EPA and poison ourself

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dahn posted:

Trump has been a public figure for decades. There are thousands of professional dirt locators scrubbing everything he has every said looking for dirt. He is rich as gently caress, so he doesn't have to be politically correct. If he was racist we would already be hearing about it.

I know it hurts, but we may have to accept the fact that he may not be racist.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Montasque posted:

The Leader of FREE REPUBLIC Jim Rob himself, just shat this out:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3325449/posts#comment

And when Trump inevitably does not win the nomination and runs third party because his ring didn't get kissed sloppily enough...?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I want my water to be on fire

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AssassinPrincess posted:

Can someone explain carson's tithing plan to me?

Flat income tax at 10% for all income levels

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Alter Ego posted:

And when Trump inevitably does not win the nomination and runs third party because his ring didn't get kissed sloppily enough...?

Most of them will tuck their tail between their legs and vote for Bush, and then spend 2016-2020 crying about RINO losers after he loses.

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Brannock posted:

Canada's economy is on the brink of collapsing and the jobs here are much better
On the other hand, the U.S. is on the brink of having Donald Trump as president.
It's a tough call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

Nintendo Kid posted:

Flat income tax at 10% for all income levels

ugh.

• Locked thread