Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

M_Gargantua posted:

I got TRESPASSERS as well in stock.

See, the weird thing is that this word doesn't come up in the string dump. At all. The only instance is the TRESPASSING used as a token in ethics raws. Considering how everything else related to announcements is visibly sewn right into the executable, that makes me more than a little curious.

Could I get a screenshot the next time this happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I tried to be clever today and set up a craft workshop right next to a quantum stockpile for gold furniture, intending to encrust gold furniture with shells (this is the first time I've ever had abundant gold OR shell, so I'm running with it).

The first thing the carver does is pick up the minecart from the quantum stockpile track to decorate it, ignoring the gold furniture and temporarily breaking the stockpile. Then he finds a barrel somewhere. This game is trolling me

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

abrosheen posted:

I tried to be clever today and set up a craft workshop right next to a quantum stockpile for gold furniture, intending to encrust gold furniture with shells (this is the first time I've ever had abundant gold OR shell, so I'm running with it).

The first thing the carver does is pick up the minecart from the quantum stockpile track to decorate it, ignoring the gold furniture and temporarily breaking the stockpile. Then he finds a barrel somewhere. This game is trolling me

is your gold stuff set to forbidden / dump still from the quantuming process?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

abrosheen posted:

What's the point of encrusting gold with shells if the minecart that brings the gold to you and the barrel you store the gold in don't also look FABULOUS :swoon:

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I think "a vile force of darkness" refers to any siege, goblins just being the most common.

I think you are correct. I just spent 20 minutes figuring how export to the legends viewer, and I can confirm that those misguided elves were members of the goblin civilization The Jackal of Canyons, the same one who sent all the other goblin sieges against my fort

Muscle Tracer posted:

is your gold stuff set to forbidden / dump still from the quantuming process?

Nope, I was using the minecart stop quantum stockpile method to avoid that problem.

hooman posted:

What's the point of encrusting gold with shells if the minecart that brings the gold to you and the barrel you store the gold in don't also look FABULOUS :swoon:

It all makes sense now!

When I started this fort, I chose a dwarven civilization from the map that was kind of on its heels, only having a few remaining sites. Legends viewer says that another fortress founded the same year as mine was wiped out four years later, and, historically speaking, this group has only ever lost sites to invaders (or had them pillaged). I just became the mountainhome, and I have a pretty drat good military. If I retire this mountainhome and found a new fort elsewhere, can I assume it will be more able to defend itself than its predecessors? It should also be filthy rich with gold, but I don't know how or if that will affect it as the AI mountainhome. I kind of want to go found other forts throughout the realm for this civ, but if they're just going to be lost to goblins that would be disappointing

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In this version - sadly, it probably will fall.

When the army arc is finished, though... (the key issue here being the "when")

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I had never heard of the army arc, so thanks for that. It'll be something to look forward to in the not-so-near future.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Man I would love if you could declare independence and then when you retire from a fortress play as a new civilization that declared it.

Backdoor Mayor
May 14, 2007

I got a package for your mother...
Welp, my expedition leader is hosed.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

shouldn't have stood under that palm tree while Urist cut it down; Darwin in action.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

abrosheen posted:

Did you set the workshop to only draw from the stockpile?

Backdoor Mayor
May 14, 2007

I got a package for your mother...

Excelzior posted:

shouldn't have stood under that palm tree while Urist cut it down; Darwin in action.

Amazingly, she survived the tree attack and is wandering around in a Melancholy mood. But I have subsequently nicknamed her The Tree Fighter and I hope she returns to society from her limping journey.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Dwarf Fortress is surprisingly good at simulating industrial accidents.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dwarf Fortress: Surprisingly good at simulating industrial accidents

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

hooman posted:

Dwarf Fortress is surprisingly good at simulating industrial accidents.

Dumping garbage without a safety rail? Hope you enjoy your magma burns.

An accurate depiction of MSHA.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

LordNagash posted:

Dumping garbage without a safety rail? Hope you enjoy your magma burns.

An accurate depiction of MSHA.

You got promoted to supervisor? Please enter this door and pull this lever.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sometimes my dwarves pick interesting squad names

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The musical instrument update needs to get here so I can generate that as a punk rock band.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Kurt Urist cancels play music: Crossbow bolt to the head.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Kurt Urist cancels play music: Crossbow bolt to the head.

Amazing.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Zereth posted:

Did you set the workshop to only draw from the stockpile?

I was trying to avoid messing up the manager, so I didn't do that

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

abrosheen posted:

I was trying to avoid messing up the manager, so I didn't do that

Then he's probably going to continue encrusting random crap you don't want encrusted.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
It's ok, I just found it funny that when I tried to game the system, the system gamed me. My goal for the next fortress is to try to do a better job streamlining production by linking stuff like you suggested. FPS is dropping in this one and a webbing forgotten beast just showed up, so the writing seems to be on the golden, shell encrusted wall

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Browsing a DF challenge generator, one that came up was No Military; only traps and War Animals.

Considering my track record with the military, this sounds less like a challenge and more like a lifestyle choice.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah that's less a "challenge" and more an easy mode. there's no invading force sufficient traps can't handle and they're piss-easy to set up.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

abrosheen posted:

It's ok, I just found it funny that when I tried to game the system, the system gamed me. My goal for the next fortress is to try to do a better job streamlining production by linking stuff like you suggested. FPS is dropping in this one and a webbing forgotten beast just showed up, so the writing seems to be on the golden, shell encrusted wall
I'm pretty sure dwarves, when they decide to do a job, look for things to, say, encrust with shells, close to where they are, rather than close to the workshop.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I'm pretty sure dwarves, when they decide to do a job, look for things to, say, encrust with shells, close to where they are, rather than close to the workshop.

That's just what Urist McCraftdwarf says when he "mysteriously" chooses to diamond encrust his every possession rather than the gold idol you just made.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Zereth posted:

Even if that's not it, last I heard dwarves would select job items based on distance in space rather than pathfinding distance, meaning they'd choose the mug one level up over the gold amulet two tiles east. Still doesn't explain the mine cart rather than gold furniture, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

just restrict the workshop to only take items from a specific stockpile

then make the stockpile only stock itself with the golden merkins you want to encrust

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Zereth posted:

I wish they would do this with constructions, instead of it all being claimed as it's designated. Bugs me that I still have to haul all my construction materials *before* designating the construction, instead of being able to do both at once.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

just restrict the workshop to only take items from a specific stockpile

then make the stockpile only stock itself with the golden merkins you want to encrust

And make that stockpile pull from the general stockpile as a priority.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

darthbob88 posted:

Still doesn't explain the mine cart rather than gold furniture, though.

minecarts and barrels go in furniture stockpiles so they count as furniture for the rules that govern "encrust furniture"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The way I set up fortresses my main target for encrustation always ends up being bags of dye or sand.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

today's dwarf dosage: adult education

Toady One posted:

I mentioned back in May that I'd probably get to master-apprentice relationships for fortress mode scholars. That's been done now. During research discussions, if somebody is better at skills associated to the topic and has broader knowledge, the dwarves (or permanent residents) can decide to strike up an arrangement. This will allow scholars to teach their students directly, and they can teach all of their present apprentices at once to speed things up. We don't have general teaching yet and we don't have generalized apprenticeships, which'll take more work at a later time. During my first test, a human doctor arrived at my library and I accepted her petition to study at the fort. After a discussion on bandages, three of my dwarves decided to sign up and were soon learning all about pulmonary medicine from their new master.

Sounds like the military lecture system is being put to worthwhile use.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

if this makes it so children don't all grow up to be farmers then :yayclod:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

if this makes it so children don't all grow up to be farmers then :yayclod:

I restrict harvesting to farmers

so all my children grow up to be skill-less peasants :smith:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I actually like getting peasants. They are blank slates ready to be engraved with mosquitos new skills. I always feel obligated to keep dwarves im their profession. It just feels weird to see a fisher crafting stuff.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hihohe posted:

I actually like getting peasants. They are blank slates ready to be engraved with mosquitos new skills. I always feel obligated to keep dwarves im their profession. It just feels weird to see a fisher crafting stuff.

Same.

They also make excellent body shields recruits.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
you may also drop them from 3 stores high for the good of the medical science :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:getin: